Author Topic: What’s your “white rabbit” of BT Collectables?  (Read 6904 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: What’s your “white rabbit” of BT Collectables?
« Reply #30 on: 15 April 2019, 09:27:20 »
Finally we get to the good stuff

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #31 on: 15 April 2019, 13:21:08 »
Randall's beard, encased in Lucite.

I already got one!  I feed it hipster beards.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #32 on: 15 April 2019, 15:31:37 »
House Marik book (only one I don't have from that series) & the Star league sourcebook. I NEVER saw the Marik book even once in the flesh (back then it was B&M stores...my local ones never got a copy for some reason), nor the SL book. Alas, maybe someday I can get my hands on it.

I also missed War of Reaving & the Liberation of Terra books too, while I was taking a hiatus. I figured I'd get them when I was ready. Boy, was I wrong about that...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 15 April 2019, 17:46:16 »
  I recently gave away all of my BT pubs, including the Star League Sourcebook and every Mechwarrior I and II related book. I have them all in 4 gb of pdfs and hopefully the books will be put to use. I still have a couple of LAM minis in original blisters, but they are in storage. I still have my mechs but since I won't be playing, I'll be dumping them, as well.
Sad to hear... too bad you're not in the DC area...

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 16 April 2019, 15:16:22 »
Sad to hear... too bad you're not in the DC area...

I've played and even GMed over Skype, so I really don't require the physical tools, even the books, any more. I gave my books to a long time, very devious, GM, who will make the most of them. He'll eventually get my minis, as well, although, I was considering a side gig as a professional mini painter, on the auction sites. I already print out my own decals and, now that I'm retired, I have plenty of time.

The above being said, I am now living in Junction City, Kansas (median home price, Honolulu: $875,000, in case you want to know why I left...) where I can live comfortably on my pension. Once I get my basement set up, I can game 24/7.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2019, 15:40:14 by Mohammed As`Zaman Bey »

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 16 April 2019, 15:17:10 »
To have my gaming group back. The core 6 people that was together for 30 years! Can't happen.
To have a good battletech group again.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 16 April 2019, 18:08:47 »
Good luck with the basement set up!  I figure I've got about five more years before I retire, though it might be six... We'll see how it goes...

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #37 on: 16 April 2019, 22:49:08 »
I have lost more things over my years more important than my BT stuff so I can't say there is anything I would throw money at but if we are talking about something tangible yet near unattainable without great effort;

The original digital copy of 25 Years of Art and History that actually included Unseen art (If their are any hard copies, I doubt I will ever see them with my own eyes)   

Shrapnel is like wise a collectors find.

Hell, anything with the artwork of Steve Venters. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #38 on: 16 April 2019, 23:24:53 »
I also missed War of Reaving & the Liberation of Terra books too, while I was taking a hiatus. I figured I'd get them when I was ready. Boy, was I wrong about that...

Both Liberation of Terra books are on the CGL store.  That's where I got my copies.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #39 on: 17 April 2019, 00:11:46 »
The original digital copy of 25 Years of Art and History that actually included Unseen art (If their are any hard copies, I doubt I will ever see them with my own eyes)   

Sadly, there are no physical copies of 25 Years that include the Unseens- the PDF was published right after the announcement that they'd worked out a deal to bring back the Unseens but it didn't last and the Unseens went away again before the physical book could be released, necessitating their removal.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Gus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 17 April 2019, 02:14:01 »
Randall's beard Lucite, encased in Lucite Randall's beard.

Fixed it for you.  :D

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #41 on: 17 April 2019, 06:28:07 »
My white whale was the Star League sourcebook, but I found one at Half-Price Books a few years ago. Then CGL released it as PDF! So now I have it with me all the time.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #42 on: 17 April 2019, 07:13:49 »
Got to admit, my best "white whale" day was walking into a game store that was technically not open yet, but the door was ajar and the staff was stocking shelves, so they let me in.  Looking at the shelves, I found a 3025 poster map, Shrapnel, and the Star League sourcebook, all together, selling for "used" prices.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #43 on: 23 April 2019, 01:30:24 »
I guess mainly I just want one more BD Behemoth and then my Super-Heavy Lance will be complete.

The unseen Fantechs seem too much to hope for.

Beyond that, a few unobtanium replacement parts for broken minis?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #44 on: 23 April 2019, 05:32:44 »
My current white whale is a copy of Clantroops. Just for completeness.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #45 on: 23 April 2019, 15:21:37 »
Back when FASA closed it's doors, I went on a buying spree and picked up every book that I was missing from the FASA/pre-FanPro era. Fortunately, I had a lot of the older books (including the Star League Sourcebook) which I bought new when they were originally released. But it was the "House Liao - Capellan Confederation" book printed back in 1987 that was my "white rabbit" -- until about a month after 9-11 when my brother and I drove to Toronto for the weekend. We were in on of the back room at the Hairy Tarantula where they had a copy that they were going to eBay. When he heard that we were looking for one to complete our collection, the owner sold it to us at a very fair price. Since then, I've been pretty diligent about picking up every new Battletech book that comes out so I don't ever have to pay eBay prices again. :thumbsup:
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

winters_night

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 24 April 2019, 00:44:11 »
TCI Griffin Plastic Model from the Battledroids box set

Shrapnel: Fragments from the Inner Sphere

NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1 and 2

I hunted that Griffin model for a good 6 years before I stumbled across one to complete my Battledroids set. 

I collect books and boxed games myself, I've skipped a lot of the Fanpro line.. was just a dark time to me for Btech but for the Catalyst stuff I'm still hunting for a Tech Manual for a good price and being a big Nova Cat fan I'm hoping one day I can find one of the old Reaper keychains. 

DarkLloyd

• Corporal
  • "Never Say Die!"
« Reply #47 on: 25 April 2019, 15:27:38 »
I have to say I found mine and mounted it on the wall...
Col. Adrian Rattliff C.O.  The Ratt Frags - Allied Mercenary Command

The Ratt Fragg's motto for the Jihad: "Nemo Me Impune Lacessita” - No One Attacks Me With Impunity
"I don't know who you people are. But I bet I know how much that Mechs' gonna be worth in salvage."
"A lot of people hate the Clans, me, I don't mind them. I just think of them as a "Renewable" resource...... "

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 25 April 2019, 15:40:49 »
A gaming group in my local area.....

Seriously though I'm poor enough that I'm completing or adding to my collection about four times a year (maybe more depends on money, what books cost, which other books come out, etc). I've now got enough models and minis to field a short IS Regiment, a Ghost Bear Supernova Trinary and backup Binary, and a Clan Wolverine Trinary (none painted, 2/5 assembled).

But that hasn't helped me find a group. Theirs some on Long Island, some in Boston, pretty sure one in Pennsylvania and NYC, but none in my particular corner of SW CT. Occasionally I've tried to get some of my friends to play (and sometimes they oblige) but never more than a Lance on Lance which pains me.

Yes theirs MegaMek (and all the iterations of video and computer games (most of which I have and play)) but it's just not the same ... you know?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 25 April 2019, 18:16:23 »
Sadly, it takes so long to get anywhere around DC that even though the local groups aren't that far away by miles, it takes a damn long time to get where they're playing...

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
  • Unofficial, sure. But better than nothing, right?
« Reply #50 on: 02 May 2019, 11:53:17 »
What would you risk life, limb, credit score, and spousal ire to get your hands on?

My finances are a bad joke and I'm not married. But if it was just a question of mere life and limb...

... then it would certainly have to be a miniature of the McKenna Class Battleship as illustrated in TRO 2750. Or failing that, one of the original Unseen version of the BattleMaster.
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65976.0

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 02 May 2019, 12:27:13 »
TCI Griffin Plastic Model from the Battledroids box set

Shrapnel: Fragments from the Inner Sphere

NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1 and 2

NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1 and 2  >:D

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #52 on: 02 May 2019, 13:38:35 »
Sadly, it takes so long to get anywhere around DC that even though the local groups aren't that far away by miles, it takes a damn long time to get where they're playing...

I miss Battletech, but I definitely don't miss the commuting to get to the games, for damned sure. The trips up to Glen Burnie or even Chevy Chase were a pain in the ass even on a Saturday.

Might have to get a one-off game assembled sometime in the Fairfax area though, get the ol' Hellbie Dice out of storage and see how bad things can go for me.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 02 May 2019, 15:27:05 »
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing if your luck is really worse than mine... :)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #54 on: 02 May 2019, 16:39:36 »
I miss Battletech, but I definitely don't miss the commuting to get to the games, for damned sure. The trips up to Glen Burnie or even Chevy Chase were a pain in the ass even on a Saturday.

Might have to get a one-off game assembled sometime in the Fairfax area though, get the ol' Hellbie Dice out of storage and see how bad things can go for me.  ;D

If you want to throw down, I'm in Fairfax with all my gear through the end of June.  After that, you'll have to commute to Uzbekistan.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 02 May 2019, 16:47:09 »
I'm out of the country starting tomorrow for a week plus, but when I get back...  ^-^

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #56 on: 06 May 2019, 01:18:44 »

I drive three hours each way to make it to games.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 12 May 2019, 02:55:30 »
I guess mainly I just want one more BD Behemoth and then my Super-Heavy Lance will be complete.

The unseen Fantechs seem too much to hope for.

Beyond that, a few unobtanium replacement parts for broken minis?
Fantechs?

And probably the biggest for anyone would be the original 3025 C* sourcebook, finding it might be a bit difficult.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #58 on: 12 May 2019, 03:24:10 »
I still have all my stuff from the 80's/90's, or most of it anyway.

I think I gave my cousin an old Rule Book of some stripe once I had newer ones.

And I think I also gave away my 6 BT Book/Page# games that were based on the "Lost Worlds" series of game books.   (Locust-1S, Wasp-1A, Rifleman-3N, ShadowHawk-2H, Griffin-1N, & Warhammer-6R)

Other than those, or a few mini trades,  I've kept most everything I've ever gotten, takes up several drawers in a large dresser.

I'd say the only thing I still think about getting that I search E-Bay for every few months is the last 7 mechs from TRO3025 that I have never owned. 

I have 48/55 of them.

Firestarter, Urbanmech, BlackJack, Scorpion, Ostroc, Ostsol, & Goliath.

But I wouldn't throw handfuls of cash at them, the entire reason I never owned them was I rarely ever used them.

Its mostly just to say I completed 1 TRO of Minis, the original, and biggest IIRC at 55 Mechs.

The first 3 aren't too hard to find still but the last 4 in their original casts are very rare/expensive when I see them.

I sort of stopped adding much paperback into my collection a couple years ago, there is no more room, LOL.

At least not till I can retire in 20 years to somewhere that has basements to convert  :)    (AZ basements are rare)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 12 May 2019, 09:09:50 »

Huzzah Hobbies in Ashburn is trying to start a Monday Night B-Tech game.  Unfortunately Monday is the one night I can't make it.

Register