Author Topic: 2011-02-19 Unit Profile: Killian's Commandos [BattleCorps Exclusive]  (Read 2874 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Have you read "A Cover of Paint?"

In his story "A Cover of Paint" Christopher Purnell introduced us to Killian's Commandos. Now see the mercenary company's unit digest!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 2011-02-19 Unit Profile: Killian's Commandos [BattleCorps Exclusive]
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2011, 14:47:01 »
I liked it.  Nice little writeup of a small time merc unit.  I also liked the demonstration of "ComStar knows all" and revelation of who actually hired them for "A Cover of Paint".
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Cavalier

• Corporal
  • The Very Model of a Marik Marshal
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2011, 18:10:03 »
I hadn't seen the other Unit Digests so I wasn't sure what the "in-universe perspective" was supposed to be for these. When in doubt, though, ComStar is a great fallback. It was originally going to be a very junior Alexander Kernoff commenting on the dossier (scut-work for the new ROM agent) but then I checked the dates and realized he wasn't nearly as old as I thought he was. So anonymous ROM agent Martin filled in instead.

I was also glad to be able to reveal the mysterious employer in an appropriate format. Sometimes the omniscience of the Blakists is a rather useful narrative device. Brought a bit of closure to their appearance in the BTech universe. Though I don't think I've told all the tales of the company just yet.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2011, 18:59:47 »
I enjoyed the write up.  The tension and mixed allegiences with-in the unit made for a very nice 3rd SW gritty feel.   

And the Comstar knows all angle helped reveal data that otherwise would not have come to light had the unit just been interviewed or filled out a questionair form.  Also helps those Comstar conspiriacy therorists.  ;)
Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2011, 21:04:16 »
I hadn't seen the other Unit Digests so I wasn't sure what the "in-universe perspective" was supposed to be for these. When in doubt, though, ComStar is a great fallback. It was originally going to be a very junior Alexander Kernoff commenting on the dossier (scut-work for the new ROM agent) but then I checked the dates and realized he wasn't nearly as old as I thought he was. So anonymous ROM agent Martin filled in instead.

I was also glad to be able to reveal the mysterious employer in an appropriate format. Sometimes the omniscience of the Blakists is a rather useful narrative device. Brought a bit of closure to their appearance in the BTech universe. Though I don't think I've told all the tales of the company just yet.
I look forward to the next installment.  I really enjoyed both this story and "A Cover of Paint".
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2011, 21:12:36 »
Sorry if I'm being dense, but did Cavalier write these? Because if so, then my dream of Cavalier writing for CGL is fulfilled.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Cavalier

• Corporal
  • The Very Model of a Marik Marshal
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2011, 21:21:47 »
Thanks for the kind words. I've sold a few stories to BCorps. The first one was back in, oh, August 2009. Probably proudest of "From the Ruins" but I'm also really, really happy with "Bitter Harvest."

"A Cover of Paint" started out as a completely different story, but the company kind of gelled together in a different way than I anticipated. The first draft had to be rewritten almost entirely because I tried to cram too many perspectives into it. Which means there's still a lot of material to use on the Commandos. Ah, but I am juggling several other stories at the moment so it may be a while before I get around to seeing what I can do with Claessen's escape from New Capetown or the continued threats from Miho's father.

Register