Author Topic: What TRO are the MW: DA Units Detailed in?  (Read 15919 times)

Sigil

• Lieutenant
What TRO are the MW: DA Units Detailed in?
« on: 30 December 2016, 01:15:37 »
I just got a box full of MW:DA miniatures.  They including the Atlas, Jupiter, Arbalest, Centurion, Templar, Spider, Firestarter, Legionaire, Koshi and Black Hawk BattleMechs.

Do these miniatures correspond to an official Table Top version published in a Technical Readout and if so, which TRO is it?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: What TRO are the MW: DA Units Detailed in?
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2016, 07:16:26 »
Their spread out.   Most of the units prominently featured in:
TRO: 3067, TRO: Project Phoenix, TRO 3075,  TRO 3085, TRO:3085 Supplemental (or TRO3085S), TRO 3145 and 3150 (couple in this later one), XTRO: Republic I, II & III, Era Digest: Dark Age

If you go on Sarna.net, you can find a link on the bottom of one the pages named Category:Dark Age Mechs.
If you type in this "Category:Dark Age Mechs", these MWDA mechs will show up.  The included the ones not prominently shown in the click games, but all the one you mentioned are in there.  The individual articles WILL tell you which sources these mechs come from.

EDIT: Adding the other missing TROs
« Last Edit: 30 December 2016, 08:06:00 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2016, 07:30:56 »
To add in, TRO 3067 and TRO Reseen were designed specifically with MW:DA in mind, even though they predate it by a little.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2016, 08:03:01 »
To be more precise:

TRO3075 - Legionnaire, Jupiter
TRO3085 - Arblest, Atlas, Spider
TRO3145 - Black Hawk, Centurion, Firestarter, Koshi Templar
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2016, 08:07:45 »
Just FYI, i'm sure you maybe aware.  MWDA Templar and Atlas are listed as new units, aka Templar III and Atlas III.  The Odd looking Atlas, that clicky game started with is a variant in TRO: 3085 thou there it sort of looks like an American Football player.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2019, 11:43:20 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2016, 08:31:34 »
I think some of those are in TRO 3150 instead of 3145.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2016, 16:00:05 »
I'm confess I'm still trying to sort all of this out.  So I have this batch of MW: DA miniatures I described.  I believe they are all from the first "set."  Is there a "year" or a range of years this set is suited for?  Given they are spread across so many different TROs, I'm just trying to figure out what "time" I'm playing in.  I'm a long time classic TT player, so this "version" of BT is basically all new to me.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2016, 16:20:34 »
I'm confess I'm still trying to sort all of this out.  So I have this batch of MW: DA miniatures I described.  I believe they are all from the first "set."  Is there a "year" or a range of years this set is suited for?  Given they are spread across so many different TROs, I'm just trying to figure out what "time" I'm playing in.  I'm a long time classic TT player, so this "version" of BT is basically all new to me.

Mechwarrior Dark Age is initially set in the year 3132 and progresses forward from there.  The units used are a mixed bag as the initial factions are small groups based in the Republic of the Sphere who either profess loyalty to different larger factions in the Inner Sphere (The Swordsworn to House Davion, Highlanders to the Republic, Dragon's Fury to House Kurita) or are using the confusion of the Blackout to further their own agenda (Steel Wolves wish to carve out their own territory as a Clan Wolf offshoot, Spirit Cats want to find a stable homeland, Bannson's Raiders expand their owner's holdings).

As the game progressed, another loyalist faction, the Stormhammers for House Steiner was added, but then more Inner Sphere factions were added - House Liao, the Republic and Clan Jade Falcon first, but the smaller factions were gradually phased out in favour of just using the main factions.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2016, 16:26:03 »
Technically all DA minis are "available" in the Dark Age period - 3130 and onwards, or thereabouts.

The problem is that some of the units are old, "familiar" ones to the TT player, which have soldiered on for centuries (eg. the Phoenix Hawk, admittedly in its Reseen shape, or the Timber Wolf). Others are new designs from the Jihad or Republic eras, or fresh off the production line for the Dark Age.

Two simple ways to check a unit's age:

1) The MUL will have introduction dates & factional availability. For example, the Jupiter comes into play in the Jihad, restricted to the Falcons & Hells Horses, before being produced in the Republic.

2) Sarna will give you similar information, but much more descriptive text.

It's a little running around, but you get the information in the end. Remember, WK kept producing new units while Fanpro, then CGL, kept producing TROs.

Are you looking at converting units for TT play in IWM scale, or hexless play in DA scale?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2016, 20:13:45 »
Are you looking at converting units for TT play in IWM scale, or hexless play in DA scale?

I'm primarily interested in repurposing the miniatures for use with Total Warfare. 

However, I have the rule set for MW:DA as it was included with the box of miniatures.  However, in all truth, the bases of the most the units are incredibly hard to twist, either that or there is some trick to turning them that I have yet to discover.  I was afraid I'd brake some of units with the amount of twisting it was taking them to click.  Then again, I suppose they're 10+ years old at this point. 

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2016, 20:30:39 »
For infantry, use a 4X4 lego block.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2016, 01:07:07 »
There are some threads in Miniatures talking about which work best with other TT minis. Infantry, field guns, and most BA work just fine.

Plus, they're the best feedstock - plastic is so much easier to work with, cut, & combine ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2016, 14:00:40 »
Does anyone know of a repository with high-quality photographs of all (or most) of the original MechWarrior: Dark Age miniatures?  A number of the ones I received are damaged and I've got a collection of small parts in the bottom of the box that go somewhere.  I was also considering making myself a little TT guide to them all for quick reference.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 31 December 2016, 14:55:17 »
Warrenborne is among the best sited got pictures and stats.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 31 December 2016, 18:35:10 »
Warrenborne is among the best sited got pictures and stats.

Do you know if he follows this Fourm?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2016, 19:37:20 »
Do you know if he follows this Fourm?
Yeah, his post is inbetween yours and Worktrolls
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #16 on: 01 January 2017, 17:25:47 »
Do be aware that the admin for Warrenborn is an evil son of a bitch, and you're more likely to get help from him if you bribe him first with dark beer or an Anubis miniature first.

;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2017, 00:18:43 »
MW:DA or Mechcommander II style?

I can figure the answer for myself, but I had to ask. ><

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2019, 06:39:11 »
I originally posted this question in Dec., 2016.  Well over two years later, I now know the answer, intimately.  From FASA's TRO: 3055 to Catalyst's Era Digest: Dark Age, to the faction-based TRO 3145 series, the range of units available in MW:DA/MW:AOD spans a breathtaking number of products.

And I've harvested them.  I've compiled tabletop statistics for somewhere just north of 160 MechWarrior 'Mechs and vehicles and soon I will release the beta draft of it.  Along the way, my own MW collection has grown and I've taken to removing the original Clix base, replacing it with a traditional, if a touch oversized, hex base and playing classic BattleTech games set in the Dark Age with them.  A truly revolutionary thing for an old grognard like to me do.

All in all, I will say that in many cases the aesthetics of the miniatures have grown on me over time, but most importantly, the entirely different style of the miniatures has enhanced my Dark Age campaign by making it look just so damn different from any of our previous games.  I will also confess to forcing my group to start out in IndustrialMech Mods ;)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2019, 08:38:56 »
the most fun i had running a campaign was when the players started with a lance of two quasits and two coppers along with some infantry and light vehicles. unsure if they felt the same way  :))

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #20 on: 15 March 2019, 08:49:11 »
I've enjoyed running armed IndustrialMechs so much in random games that I'm planning to add a lance of them to my shitbox militia battalion 
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #21 on: 15 March 2019, 09:37:08 »
After playing MWDA way back . . . I decided my engineer platoon would be supported by two armed Indi mechs piloted by MW apprentices.  So the infantry platoon of engineers, a APC for their movement which a dozer blade, a ForestryMech with AC/5 and a ConstructionMech with a LRM5 and I think a RL10.  Good support element for the mercs while training replacement mechwarriors.

Also on a lark did a MWDA starter campaign, involved the Republic planet's Standing Guard arming IndiMechs, with pirates visiting and a Dragon's Fury drop.  The Fury popped a unarmed LoaderMech that rushed out from behind a hill to melee and a pair of gun trucks- but managed to steal a DS shipment of fresh IndiMechs in early 3133.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Exilyth

• Private
« Reply #22 on: 15 March 2019, 23:36:34 »
Talking about TRO entries for MW:DA units - did the Mining Mech MkII (aka 'dump truck on legs') ever get a TRO entry?

Sarna only lists the Mining Mech I: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/MM-1_MiningMech
"Wife, in honor of our marriage, in addition to this morsel I give you a vast prize. My love, I give you the Capellan Confederation!" - Hanse Davion to Melissa Steiner-Davion at their wedding reception, sparking the Fourth Succession War, August 20, 3028

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2019, 19:57:12 »
We may not ever know, there was planned book called TRO: Irregular Tech, which was suppose carry usual civilian-militarized units in it which could have included MineMech, but i guess plans changed.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 17 March 2019, 05:05:10 »
For the MiningMech II MOD, I came up with a RAC/2 and 3 x Rocket Launcher 10's... (see attachment)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2019, 09:07:16 »
Nice find! That thing terrible. With out even a basic fire control the modifier to hit makes impossible do really to hit.

Exilyth

• Private
« Reply #26 on: 17 March 2019, 10:30:06 »
In other words - the Miningmech II does not appear in any (official) TRO yet.

Thanks everyone.
"Wife, in honor of our marriage, in addition to this morsel I give you a vast prize. My love, I give you the Capellan Confederation!" - Hanse Davion to Melissa Steiner-Davion at their wedding reception, sparking the Fourth Succession War, August 20, 3028

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #27 on: 17 March 2019, 12:32:57 »
shitbox militia

I found the new name of our next band!

Or better yet, our next Chaos March (Periphery) Merc Unit.

I can see the slogan now.

"5 Regiments of Elite Clan Tech Wolf Dragoons out of your budget?"
"Kell Hounds & Eridani Light Horse all tied up saving the Inner Sphere from the Clans?"
"Grey Death Legion too morally pure for your plans for the local Barony next door?"

"Well then give us a call at 'Shitbox Militia' where we will take any garrison or riot control contract with no questions asked, if the price is right & the transport is included"
"Our infantry & 'combat mechs' (armed industrial mechs) are guaranteed, 80% of the time, every time, to inspire just the right amount of loyalty in your population"

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

ianpelgrim

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 20 March 2019, 04:06:39 »
The MININGmech II seems to be this one:
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/7162/carbine-con-8h-haulermech
No MOD version however.

I am working on my own Militia Industrial mech force

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2019, 05:19:27 »
Now that I've been playing "classic" BT with Wizkids MWDA miniatures for a while now and I've got another observation.

There is an astonishing similarity between most, if not all, Wizkids MWDA miniatures and their corresponding IWM version, and the FanPro/CGL published artwork in the TRO. 

Take, for example, the LCT-5M Locust.  The FanPro Project Phoenix art, the MWDA miniature and the Iron Wind Metals version are essentially identical (although the scale of two miniatures varies a bit).

Or, as a newer example, the Osiris, introduced in FanPro's first TRO: 3067.  Again, the published art and both MWDA and IWM miniatures are in good agreement.

Which brings me to my classic "which came first: the chicken or the egg question", or in this case: Who provided the original concept art:  FanPro, Wizkids, Iron Wind Metals?

Given that CGL didn't publish TRO: 3075 until 2008, the same year that the MWDA franchise ended production, I'm fairly confident that Wizkids gets credit for initially envisioning many of the DA 'Mechs that later appeared in CGL TROs and from there went onto production as IWM miniatures. 

Or said in a different way, Wizkids is responsible for the Uziel and Thanatos among many, many other designs.  Thanks, Wizkids!

Thoughts, corrections?