Author Topic: Battle Angel Alita Trailer posted  (Read 14870 times)

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
Re: Battle Angel Alita Trailer posted
« Reply #90 on: 27 February 2019, 21:09:39 »
Mars Chronicles is a mix of prequel and continuation, now it very prequel heavy but I think that a switch is coming.
Personally I hope to see where she gets the gun-creature.

Gun Creature? as opposed to the 'penis warrior' introduced in the latter part of Last Order during the Ladder battles/tournoment?  :))
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #91 on: 27 February 2019, 21:28:55 »
This?  https://battleangel.fandom.com/wiki/Danko

Mars Chronicles is a mix of prequel and continuation, now it very prequel heavy but I think that a switch is coming.
Personally I hope to see where she gets the gun-creature.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 01 March 2019, 12:29:52 »

A little warning for everyone, I have heard rumors that many cinema's will stop showing BAA after the 6th of March.
If you want to go, then please check your local schedule.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #94 on: 01 March 2019, 12:53:34 »
Rumors?  That's dubious.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 01 March 2019, 13:07:07 »
Rumors?  That's dubious.
Maybe, but my local schedule also shows nothing after the 6th, so checking out your the local schedule would be a good thing.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #96 on: 01 March 2019, 13:59:19 »
My local schedule never shows anything more than a week in advance.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #97 on: 05 March 2019, 09:31:04 »
Actually, it was very much like the anime version (of course, it has been over a decade since I last watched it, so I might be forgetting something...might be time to break out the DVD)...there is much more in the manga version though; background and future stories.,.

Ruger

I saw it this past weekend with my daughter.  I agree that it's essentially a super-sized, turbo-charged version of the OVA.
(Interestingly, they gave Nova the appearance of Ido from the cartoon.)

I will have to agree with the critics on one aspect.  When even your ten-year-old daughter thought that most of the interpersonal scenes between Alita and Hugo were cringe-worthy, you know that's one part they didn't get right.  But you don't go to this kind of movie expecting that.

I've become invested enough in the story and world that I'm hoping for a sequel...but the way James Cameron does things, that could be a decade away, at which point Rosa Salazar may no longer be able to handle the physical side of the role (I was surprised at how old she is, actually...).  And which way will they go?  There's plenty left to work with from the original BAA manga, but having done so much to set up Nova as the puppet-master villain, will they next try for adapting _Last Order_? (too sprawling and too incoherent a plot, IMO).
Going that way would be a bit difficult since it's already been established that Chiren still had a biological brain (YECK!), so the whole "secret of Zalem/Tiphares" wouldn't seem to work.

cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 05 March 2019, 10:39:01 »
This?  https://battleangel.fandom.com/wiki/Danko

No, this!

:D ;D

cheers,

Gabe

EDIT:  damn image link doesn't work...
« Last Edit: 05 March 2019, 10:41:00 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #99 on: 05 March 2019, 10:53:33 »
I will have to agree with the critics on one aspect.  When even your ten-year-old daughter thought that most of the interpersonal scenes between Alita and Hugo were cringe-worthy, you know that's one part they didn't get right.  But you don't go to this kind of movie expecting that.

Well, on the one hand I thought the cringe factor made sense given how immature and naive they both were*.  On the other hand, it was super cringe-worthy.

*Alita walking into the bounty-hunter bar and expecting that an impassioned speech about how they're all brothers and sisters will somehow convince them all to rally to her cause despite the fact that she's been a hunter for less than an hour at that point comes to mind.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #100 on: 05 March 2019, 11:21:48 »
I thought they were great examples of her innocence.  Ido really didn't seem to drill into her the whole bit about just how seedy the business could be.  And he was the only one she's seen in action to that point.   

Well, on the one hand I thought the cringe factor made sense given how immature and naive they both were*.  On the other hand, it was super cringe-worthy.

*Alita walking into the bounty-hunter bar and expecting that an impassioned speech about how they're all brothers and sisters will somehow convince them all to rally to her cause despite the fact that she's been a hunter for less than an hour at that point comes to mind.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #101 on: 05 March 2019, 15:47:33 »

That was one point that stuck out to me too, but less about the innocence and more about how not-quite-a-threat Grew was at that point.  If they'd added maybe 30 seconds of footage, discovering a few more victims and maybe even Alita's name written in blood or something, it'd make him much more of a threat and give her words more weight - and more impact when the bar turns her down because there's no bounty.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #102 on: 05 March 2019, 16:14:53 »
That would also have been good.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 05 March 2019, 16:20:24 »

Maybe in an extended edition (hoping for very much).

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #104 on: 05 March 2019, 17:51:55 »
Best part of that whole scene was how the fight ended.  ;D
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: 05 March 2019, 22:59:00 »

I wonder how many takes were needed for Rosa Salazar to recite those lines without cracking up.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: 05 March 2019, 23:23:51 »
No, this!

:D ;D

cheers,

Gabe

EDIT:  damn image link doesn't work...

OK, the image is small enough to fit as an attachment...

The guitar looks like a gun...if you squint hard enough...

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 09 March 2019, 09:10:40 »
That was one point that stuck out to me too, but less about the innocence and more about how not-quite-a-threat Grew was at that point.  If they'd added maybe 30 seconds of footage, discovering a few more victims and maybe even Alita's name written in blood or something, it'd make him much more of a threat and give her words more weight - and more impact when the bar turns her down because there's no bounty.

In the OVA, it was Ido, not Alita, who tried to get the other hunters to unite to take down Grew.  The response was much the same, for the same reasons.  Also, I think most of them were afraid to try and take him on.  Alita knows she can hurt him so she doesn't have this fear.

Cheers, Gabe

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #108 on: 09 March 2019, 10:31:14 »
In the manga it was definitely because they were afraid of him rather than there being a lack of a bounty.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #109 on: 09 March 2019, 16:33:56 »
Just saw it. I liked it. As far as the bar scene I put it down to ether Alita being a different kind of person, or things different 300 years ago. Or both.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #110 on: 10 March 2019, 16:11:20 »
Alita was good and self contain story.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: 11 March 2019, 00:45:18 »
Maybe, but my local schedule also shows nothing after the 6th, so checking out your the local schedule would be a good thing.

Even though I'm not actually there, I checked the online local listings for Montreal.  Alita is still playing at around half a dozen theatres as of March 10, so these rumors are bunk, at least in Quebec.

Cheers, Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: 19 March 2019, 08:36:05 »
According to IMDB, _Alita_ has now grossed over 390 million worldwide, against a production budget of 170 million.  It's not clear whether this is enough to break even though.
Significantly, less than a third of this total comes from the North American market.

Is Yukito Kishiro actually getting any kind of cut?  This is his creation, after all.

Cheers, Gabe

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #113 on: 19 March 2019, 12:11:19 »
According to IMDB, _Alita_ has now grossed over 390 million worldwide, against a production budget of 170 million.  It's not clear whether this is enough to break even though.
Significantly, less than a third of this total comes from the North American market.
I have heard that 350 mill, was the breakeven point.
Which does seem to conform to the general rule of 2x budget, and I don't think that Fox spend that much on marketing.
Also with the high audience score, I think that it will also do very well in home media (Blueray etc).

Is Yukito Kishiro actually getting any kind of cut?  This is his creation, after all.
Not from the movie I think, but the translated manga is selling very well now and he likely gets a cut of that (i hope).

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 19 March 2019, 23:04:50 »
I have heard that 350 mill, was the breakeven point.
Which does seem to conform to the general rule of 2x budget, and I don't think that Fox spend that much on marketing.
Also with the high audience score, I think that it will also do very well in home media (Blueray etc).

Well, Cameron and Rodriguez are already talking sequel.  But the fact that significantly less than half the gross came from North America may well make the studio averse to green-lighting one, even if it actually turns a profit.

The point is, the movie didn't bomb as was expected.

cheers,

Gabe

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #115 on: 20 March 2019, 17:28:51 »
I read an interesting article not too long ago about why the movie didn't do better.  Wish I'd saved the link.  Apparently it didn't get a big advertising blitz for two reasons. First off, there was the in progress Disney acquisition.  The people working for Fox thought the Disney side would be taking care of it, while the Disney side though Fox would be finishing what they started.  Second, they weren't sure who to advertise to.  On one hand there was all the sci-fi action that they normally push on older males, but on the other hand, there was a teenage[ish] love story they normally push on teen girls.  I guess the movie industry still hasn't grasped the fact that more than one specific demographic can enjoy a movie.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #116 on: 20 March 2019, 20:42:21 »
I guess the movie industry still hasn't grasped the fact that more than one specific demographic can enjoy a movie.

they grasp it just fine. they just insist on tossing it every time it's brought up because producers "know the audience better".

i guess the alternative is to trust that a good story holds up, and these are the same people that thought a raunchy comedy show about a hot dog was a good idea so i can see why they don't do that.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: 20 March 2019, 23:31:33 »
I read an interesting article not too long ago about why the movie didn't do better.  Wish I'd saved the link.  Apparently it didn't get a big advertising blitz for two reasons. First off, there was the in progress Disney acquisition.  The people working for Fox thought the Disney side would be taking care of it, while the Disney side though Fox would be finishing what they started.  Second, they weren't sure who to advertise to.  On one hand there was all the sci-fi action that they normally push on older males, but on the other hand, there was a teenage[ish] love story they normally push on teen girls. 

The thing is, the critics who saw the movie just prior to its release picked up on that also.  And as I pointed out earlier, the love story bits don't go down well even with pre-teen girls.  Even the artist for _Schlock Mercenary_ seems to have that same general complaint--_Alita_ doesn't seem sure what kind of movie it wants to be.  To be fair though, the manga had all those angles too.

I guess the movie industry still hasn't grasped the fact that more than one specific demographic can enjoy a movie.

I would add the critics to that as well.  However, if the movie has successfully tapped into multiple demographics, it seems that it's done so in foreign markets more than North America.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain

Register