Author Topic: Double Deuce II/II-σ [3053] Discussion Thread  (Read 43129 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Double Deuce II/II-σ [3053] Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: 07 May 2018, 18:35:29 »
I'd assume early evening, after "normal" duty hours.  Either player could declare otherwise if they desire, citing their (mutual) duty rotation.

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #121 on: 07 May 2018, 20:58:53 »
Great post Sebastian!  I'm still hoping for some Q&A on Tegyrius' excellent briefing, and may have to generate some NPC chatter if I don't get any help from the peanut gallery... :)

I think I may have killed the thread under the weight of my wall of text...  :/
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #122 on: 08 May 2018, 03:23:02 »
It's play by post, so no worries!  If you want to post a synopsis here in the discussion thread, that might help too.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #123 on: 08 May 2018, 19:42:22 »
Come now, there is a Saharan-sized wall of text currently unfolding in the Astrokaszy sub-thread!

But, sure, I can klodge something together to generate some dialogue.  Just wanted the rest of the ccrew to get a chance without having to read my drivel...

Really nice briefing, by the way.  And I loved your introductory post.  My apologies for not saying so sooner!
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #124 on: 08 May 2018, 19:46:54 »
Indeed!  And a synopsis of that wouldn't be unwelcome here either...  ^-^

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #125 on: 15 May 2018, 20:43:27 »
Excellent answer, Tegyrius!  :thumbsup:

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #126 on: 16 May 2018, 16:33:16 »
Doin’ what I can to facilitate the eventual link-up...
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #127 on: 16 May 2018, 17:30:22 »
And it's appreciated!  8)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #128 on: 27 May 2018, 14:17:08 »
Unless someone wants to do anything more before planet fall, that will be my next post in the main thread (which will stay with the main unit).  I'll give it a week or so.

I have to admit, the HBS game is distracting me more than I thought it would...  ::)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #129 on: 12 June 2018, 09:54:44 »
It's been a bit longer than I intended, but I'll try to get a post up this week.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #130 on: 25 June 2018, 08:50:56 »
I've been moving houses and travelling the last two weeks, but will try to get the ship on the ground this coming weekend.  I'm also still hoping to hear from Jenks' player...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #131 on: 01 July 2018, 19:45:17 »
Today was consumed with moving furniture, and I'm still confined to the tiny keyboard on my netbook at the new house.  I'll try to get a post up later this week when I can at least type on a full size one.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #132 on: 06 July 2018, 16:45:17 »
Good news/bad news... Moving houses has continued to consume the majority of my time, so I haven't posted yet.  The good news is Failure16 gave me a long post that I'll edit this weekend and give back to him to post, so there will be something!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #133 on: 08 July 2018, 17:59:57 »
Getting my main computer back on the internet is proving more challenging than expected.  I hate editing on the tiny keyboard of my netbook, or I'd have something up by now.  If Amazon isn't lying, I should be up by Tuesday...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #134 on: 10 July 2018, 20:58:50 »
Finally got my main computer back on the internet, but it's WAY too late to do any editing or posting.  We'll see if I get home early enough tomorrow...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #135 on: 10 July 2018, 21:13:23 »
Yeah....

* waits patiently for new stuff to happen *

TT  :)
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #136 on: 11 July 2018, 19:45:43 »
OK, edits are finally back to Failure16... I'll give him a few days to digest and post them, then get the ship on the ground on Astrokaszy...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #137 on: 15 July 2018, 10:27:04 »
Failure16 gave me ANOTHER post while hammering out the first, but I think both should be smooth today.  I'll post shortly after he posts the second one...

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #138 on: 15 July 2018, 12:40:52 »
Hey, who loves ya?

Both posts are up; one is a bit late from a chronological perspective, and is annotated accordingly.  The other puts us right where we need to be.  Time to get those lift fans spinning and those leg actuators flexing!
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #139 on: 15 July 2018, 13:18:05 »
I should have a post up within the hour...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #140 on: 15 July 2018, 14:36:33 »
And it's up!  I tried to leave things as open as possible for people to jump in where they'd like.  The original plan was for Croft and Jenks to pilot the 'mechs, but I haven't heard from either player lately, so a last minute substitution wouldn't be out of place.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #141 on: 01 August 2018, 18:03:40 »
I just sent Failure16 edits on a garrison post from slightly before the unit lands... Hopefully it'll be up soon!

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #142 on: 05 August 2018, 10:25:27 »
Okay, it's up.  My sincerest apologies:  it appears when I tried posting it late last week it simply never went through and I, of course, didn't check.

I'd like to get an NPC vignette for those at the ship, but who knows.
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #143 on: 05 August 2018, 10:36:09 »
No worries... I'm only shooting for updates about once per week, and I think we're on track there...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #144 on: 13 August 2018, 19:10:28 »
Failure16's next post is back in his hands for posting... shouldn't be too long...

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #145 on: 13 August 2018, 21:14:44 »
On the waaay!

--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #146 on: 20 October 2018, 06:49:59 »
Sorry for the delay there... I got distracted by a certain new computer game (Pathfinder: Kingmaker) and I broke a toe doing yardwork.  I'm going to try to get back to a roughly weekly schedule, but every two weeks is probably more realistic.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #147 on: 13 November 2018, 20:03:06 »
A quick reminder regarding our Mechwarriors:

Croft: 2/3 Gunner/Pilot, with the Jumping Jack SPA, technically the most junior of the four, usually pilots the Wolverine
Jenks: 3/3, with the Sniper SPA, usually pilots the Griffin (when Sharpe isn't)
Simmons: 3/3, with the Eagle Eyes SPA (which adds 30 meters of range to the Beagle Probe and Recon Camera), usually pilots the Mongoose
Preston: 2/3, usually pilots the Phoenix Hawk (when Jenks isn't)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #148 on: 16 November 2018, 20:11:14 »
I've laid out six maps for the battle, and they'll be flattening out under various heavy things for the next day or two.  I also dug up sufficient miniatures for both sides.  We'll see how this goes...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #149 on: 02 December 2018, 00:06:47 »
I finished playing out the battle today, so it's just a matter of posting the making of arrangements (probably tomorrow), and then writing up the results over the next week (around getting the gold recovery mission done).  It went rather differently than I expected (aside from my dice being extremely fickle).  At this point, I'll say everyone lived, but no more...  ^-^

OK, I'll say a little more...  8)

I played Croft as aggressively as I've known his player to play (which is to say "very").  He cooked himself pretty well, but did a LOT of damage, and made all his shutdown rolls.  You're supposed to let a Marik Wolverine cool down every other turn...  ::)

I used Jenks' Sniper SPA to maximum effect, though my dice rarely cooperated (sixes were my bane).

I pushed Preston only slightly less than Croft, but had the same problem as Jenks (fives were his bane).  The Phoenix Hawk's double heat sinks meant no shut down rolls for him.

Simmons spent most of the battle doing what 8/12 'mechs do best, moving for +4.  I also used his SPA (Eagle's Eyes) to good effect.  It boosted the range of his Beagle, so he was able to deny bonuses to some of the 'mechs he was hunting.  Too bad my dice weren't as cooperative as they could have been...

Register