Author Topic: HBS Battletech Technical Discussion thread  (Read 47455 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: HBS Battletech Technical Discussion thread
« Reply #240 on: 15 July 2018, 15:18:12 »
Finally got the patch installed and running... where are all these new game play settings again?
A lot of them require a fresh campaign.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #241 on: 15 July 2018, 15:20:21 »
I started a new campaign after the reinstall, and still had to go through the tutorial and everything.  I'm also not seeing the balance changes the change log listed.  Does the GOG installer not install the patches with a clean install?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #242 on: 15 July 2018, 18:51:56 »
Finally figured it out... the GOG installer thought it knew better than I did where I wanted the files installed.  So when I started my new campaign, it was on the old install...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #243 on: 15 July 2018, 20:00:09 »
Darn it, I got the difficulty settings to display, but there was no toggle to kill the tutorial...

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #244 on: 16 July 2018, 17:21:42 »
Darn it, I got the difficulty settings to display, but there was no toggle to kill the tutorial...
There isn't one yet.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #245 on: 16 July 2018, 18:35:37 »
So I finally bought the game, and it crashed loading the second mission. :D
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #246 on: 16 July 2018, 18:52:12 »
I think I may have to pass on the patch... whatever they did to the display interface removed my computer's ability to show anything other than the color pink.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #247 on: 16 August 2018, 21:21:36 »
Got a GTX 1050 Ti graphics card for my birthday. Installed it last night and fired up a HBS Battletech skirmish with all the video settings on High.

Card did not go above 53 deg C and everything looks so pretty, especially the collateral landscape damage when shots miss and trees swaying due to mech movement and weapons fire  8)
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #248 on: 17 August 2018, 03:28:54 »
Finally took my second play through to Axylus last night.  It's amazing how much better that fight went, even though it was still challenging.  I had held off until I was Allied with both the Canopians and the FWL, and had over 6M in the bank.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #249 on: 17 August 2018, 13:24:20 »
Got a GTX 1050 Ti graphics card for my birthday. Installed it last night and fired up a HBS Battletech skirmish with all the video settings on High.

Card did not go above 53 deg C and everything looks so pretty, especially the collateral landscape damage when shots miss and trees swaying due to mech movement and weapons fire  8)

Sounds like a nice upgrade.  I've been playing with Graphics turned all the way up as well, and the game is surprisingly pretty for all the negative stuff I heard about the Unity engine.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #250 on: 17 August 2018, 13:26:37 »
Finally took my second play through to Axylus last night.  It's amazing how much better that fight went, even though it was still challenging.  I had held off until I was Allied with both the Canopians and the FWL, and had over 6M in the bank.

Which difficulty settings did you use for this playthrough?  I'm on my 4th playthrough right now, and I can confidently say that 8 pieces of mech salvage to make a mech is too many, and 5 pieces is too few.  I'm thinking 7 might be my goldilocks number.

The only difficulty option I don't use is Lethality, because it doesn't let your pilots Guts score help you survive injury or death the way it should. 
« Last Edit: 17 August 2018, 16:01:13 by MarauderD »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #251 on: 17 August 2018, 17:12:37 »
My computer can't run the patch, so I can't adjust difficulty.  Pretty is nice, but the fact that it puts the game beyond older hardware is criminal for a turn based game that should be able to run on just about anything.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #252 on: 23 August 2018, 09:46:39 »
Has anyone noted that when a enemy unit spawns beyond the game zone that it takes no action? I had a Panther that was part of the Reinforcements of a Trap-type mission that spawned just outside the active portion of the biodome. Would not take any action to move into the zone, nor attack. I ended up DFA's it twice to rip both legs out but it was odd and funny...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #253 on: 23 August 2018, 10:28:28 »
My computer can't run the patch, so I can't adjust difficulty.  Pretty is nice, but the fact that it puts the game beyond older hardware is criminal for a turn based game that should be able to run on just about anything.

You can downgrade graphics and animations. I did that in order to make it run on a 2011 laptop. The fan sounds like it is going to convert the laptop into a VTOL, but it works. Patch 1.1 allows you to set difficulty at the start of the campaign. Apparently there are some mods that also make the IA much more competent, but I have not tested them; I restarted the campaign to make it harder and use only basic configurations and a single pilot per mech (no modding, only adding + stuff; and yes, my starting pilot for a heavy can have 2232 easily and need a lot of improvement). That is how I am making it difficult for my (lacking) tactical skills.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #254 on: 23 August 2018, 11:11:38 »
Has anyone noted that when a enemy unit spawns beyond the game zone that it takes no action? I had a Panther that was part of the Reinforcements of a Trap-type mission that spawned just outside the active portion of the biodome. Would not take any action to move into the zone, nor attack. I ended up DFA's it twice to rip both legs out but it was odd and funny...
That's a confirmed bug and they mentioned patching it in the next major update.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #255 on: 23 August 2018, 16:52:06 »
You can downgrade graphics and animations. I did that in order to make it run on a 2011 laptop. The fan sounds like it is going to convert the laptop into a VTOL, but it works. Patch 1.1 allows you to set difficulty at the start of the campaign. Apparently there are some mods that also make the IA much more competent, but I have not tested them; I restarted the campaign to make it harder and use only basic configurations and a single pilot per mech (no modding, only adding + stuff; and yes, my starting pilot for a heavy can have 2232 easily and need a lot of improvement). That is how I am making it difficult for my (lacking) tactical skills.
I've tried all those tricks.  The base game (without the patch) will run at minimum settings, but when I try the patch that way, all I get is a pink screen instead of the terrain (i.e., my graphics card's way of saying "screw this, I can't hack it, but your game is still running").  The engine will run, but I can't see anything.  So I run the game without the patch, and enjoy it for what it is.  When I eventually get a new computer (years away at this point), I'll try out the patch and whatever other goodies are available at that point.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #256 on: 28 August 2018, 00:14:24 »
Steam is currently getting me the 1.2 patch.  Finally able to skip the prologue.

Also the notes mention improvements in quality of life, in the direction of
saves. 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/637090/announcements/detail/1700559455450767714
« Last Edit: 28 August 2018, 00:21:49 by Rorke »
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Ms.techie

• Recruit
« Reply #257 on: 27 May 2019, 22:13:45 »
newbie question here, my friend gave me her GTX 1080 Graphics Card and i am wondering if my motherboard is compatible with this. my board model is EC3J1900T

and here are its specs
https://www.eagle-touch.com/industrial-mainboards/ec3j1900t/

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #258 on: 28 May 2019, 02:58:25 »
Does that tiny board even have a PCI slot to mount the 1080???

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #259 on: 28 May 2019, 15:50:50 »
That motherboard doesn't have a PCIe slot that will support any graphics card
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Ms.techie

• Recruit
« Reply #260 on: 29 May 2019, 00:54:59 »
That motherboard doesn't have a PCIe slot that will support any graphics card

Yup. i just noticed that now.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #261 on: 29 May 2019, 16:40:09 »
What's the absolut minimum to play this so that it won't kill my back pocket or my savings?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #262 on: 29 May 2019, 16:42:15 »
What's the absolut minimum to play this so that it won't kill my back pocket or my savings?

TT

If you mean hardware wise?

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/battletech/14513
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
Re: HBS Battletech Technical Discussion thread (Longtom's anyone?)
« Reply #263 on: 31 July 2019, 10:04:03 »
is there a way to create a AoE weapon in BT-PC? I'm wondering how to mod a AC/20 + file into a AoE effect weapon but the one aspect of the file "WeaponEffectID" : "WeaponEffect-Weapon_AC20_Single", is the angle that I think I should pursue but cant because its in game code... yes, no (don't do it)?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #264 on: 31 July 2019, 14:58:13 »
There must be some code for it somewhere... the AI drops artillery on you, after all...

Register