Author Topic: Just how capable is the Snowden & its repair facilities?  (Read 1624 times)

hpackrat

• Sergeant
Had an argument with someone regarding the capabilities of the Snowden & its repair facilities. In the fluff, a Newgrange's repair facilities were capable of building all the components of a warship & thus were capable of building an entire warship given enough time & resources. With that as a baseline, I postulated that a Snowden & its repair facilities should be capable of similarly building any vessel that can fit in its repair capacity, assuming the technicians had the required technical expertise. The other party disagreed.

So my question is, can the repair facilities of the Snowden or for that matter, any design with repair bays/facilities, build any vessel that can fit in them?

Please note that I'm not saying that said repair facilities are as good as a dedicated shipyard or yardship, but that it had at least the ability to do so given enough time & money.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Just how capable is the Snowden & its repair facilities?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2018, 13:30:33 »
I would not assume so, unless explicitly stated in the fluff.

Although if I was to posit such an operation; a mining station would be a good place to do it.

I think, were the requisit factory modules available that a Snowden might reasonably be adapted, on purpose or as a matter of course over time to do this kind of work.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2018, 15:12:21 »
Had an argument with someone regarding the capabilities of the Snowden & its repair facilities. In the fluff, a Newgrange's repair facilities were capable of building all the components of a warship & thus were capable of building an entire warship given enough time & resources. With that as a baseline, I postulated that a Snowden & its repair facilities should be capable of similarly building any vessel that can fit in its repair capacity, assuming the technicians had the required technical expertise. The other party disagreed.

So my question is, can the repair facilities of the Snowden or for that matter, any design with repair bays/facilities, build any vessel that can fit in them?

Please note that I'm not saying that said repair facilities are as good as a dedicated shipyard or yardship, but that it had at least the ability to do so given enough time & money.
Look at the art of the design: My guess is that you can have vessels parked next to the station but probably not inside it (the Pressurized space fits 5000 tons but tonnage doesn't always equal square yardage). That unpressurized bay could consist of extendable/portable walls & gantry's (think of the space dock from ST:TMP) that form the sides of the vessel.
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

hpackrat

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2018, 07:18:31 »
So as long as the fluff doesn't state that it can, the average repair facilities cannot build all the components to construct a ship that can fit in their shipyard.

Thanks for the clarification.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2018, 08:01:44 »
The Snowden can probably assemble a complete ship from components, but does not include the processing facilities to create all of the various components from raw materials.  Basically, you'd have to import some stuff pre-built, but the Snowden could likely be adapted to produce at least a few of the components on its own.  It's just not massive enough to house all of the equipment necessary to build ALL of them.

Register