Author Topic: Another "what would you bid" for pondering  (Read 1796 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Another "what would you bid" for pondering
« on: 21 September 2018, 02:16:12 »
In this case, you're acting as a member of Clan Ghost Bear at around 3100.

The opponent is a faction present on an independent world in the periphery, which the Clan has decided must be investigated for connections to the Word of Blake or possibly even Clan Wolverine. The local defenders are numerous, but not well equipped. The attackers can expect to face as many as three regiments of scorpion tanks, six regiments of light (mechanized) infantry, and at least two hundred low end conventional fighters.

The objective is to destroy the local defense forces in order to secure the territory long enough to conduct investigations on several million civilians.

(no orbital bombardment unless positive proof of Blakist or Wolverine influences are detected  :D )
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: Another "what would you bid" for pondering
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2018, 02:24:15 »
Two Trinaries of aerospace fighters, on rotating sorties. Bomb until medium well.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2018, 06:14:58 »
Two Trinaries of aerospace fighters, on rotating sorties. Bomb until medium well.

I don't even think you need two Trinaries, a pair of Binaries might even be overkill.

This planet has nothing on the ground that can threaten even a Ghost Bear Second-line Binary in the open field.  Their tanks are to slow and weak to threaten a Viper B (that cERPPC is going to almost punch through a scorpion's armor at 5 hexes beyond it's engagement range).

If they attempt to resist (futility) I might make throw in a vehicle Nova and give them orders to open fire until they stop and submit to inspection.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2018, 07:08:03 »
This is when I look at the stats of the vehicles and the mechs and think that the scorpions might trash some overconfident bears....

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2018, 07:26:15 »
I bid a single trinary of elementals mounted on genetically modified brown bears.

Am I doing it right?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2018, 01:21:02 »
One Binary Nova of Mechs and Elementals with one Star Aerospace Fighters in support would be as low as I'd go.

Although realistically I wouldn't bid in this case because of who/what I'm investigating. I would Land. Trinary of Mechs, Battle Armor, and Aerospace fighters on the planet, ask to speak with the planetary admins to investigate. If they are WoB survivors then a Reaving/Annihilation is in order. If they are not then I offer a Trial of Absorbation.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2018, 11:23:48 »
Individually, a Scorpion tank is not much to be afraid of.  Three massed regiments of them can do some serious damage.  Infantry with SRMs in a forest or urban area can ruin a unit fast.  Realistically, I would go with one cluster each of mechs and elementals, and a star of fighters.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2018, 11:40:04 »
In this case, you're acting as a member of Clan Ghost Bear at around 3100.

The opponent is a faction present on an independent world in the periphery, which the Clan has decided must be investigated for connections to the Word of Blake or possibly even Clan Wolverine. The local defenders are numerous, but not well equipped. The attackers can expect to face as many as three regiments of scorpion tanks, six regiments of light (mechanized) infantry, and at least two hundred low end conventional fighters.

The objective is to destroy the local defense forces in order to secure the territory long enough to conduct investigations on several million civilians.

(no orbital bombardment unless positive proof of Blakist or Wolverine influences are detected  :D )

I rather enjoy your little exercises Liam.  I'm going to give a bid that, well, ignores the previous ones.  Because I don't see the challenge in defeating the militia, but in accomplishing the task you set out: a Wolverine hunt. This is a task for the Watch, not the front (or even second) line of the Touman.

Foremost in the bid would be a Military Police/Paramilitary Cluster that'd probably be part of the Watch.  I'm envisioning something that'd be in battletechnology terms at most a mechanized infantry formation.  With Clan equipment they're certainly relevant against the likes of the anticipated opposition, but they're mainly there to do the job after battlefield victories have been secured.

To ensure the Watch has a pacified planet to conduct their investigation, I'd include a couple more clusters of Solhama/Paramilitary troops.  Again they'd be relevant versus the cruddy militia infantry forces, but they're there more for what comes After the battle.

To secure victory against the legions of scorpions and conventional aerofighters: Two clusters of conventional forces.  One being a mix of ground vehicles (including an artillery detachment) and the other being a binary/trinary of VTOLS like Donars (kill scorpions at will) and a binary/trinary of dedicated AA tanks such as Oros.  Stiffen this force with a command binary of a star of battlemechs and a star of omnifighters.  The Solhama can mop up whatever infantry refuses to surrender after the Scorpions and fighters are knocked out of the fight.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2018, 17:22:53 »
Kappa Galaxy should still be on Periphery duty in 3100.

Battlearmor Binaries are carried in NL45s.

Fourth Bear Regulars
Twenty-first Phalanx
Fourteenth Provisional Garrison Cluster
Fifty-five Provisional Garrison Cluster

They have an attached assortment of Porthos Inheritors acting as trackers.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2018, 14:17:56 »
Jellico dropping a galaxy?

Well, you are not going to be facing that assortment across a single battlefield so . . .

Supernova Binary
Gargoyle D, 2 Gargoyle Primes, Karhu Prime, Mad Dog F
2 Rogue Bear (Hybrid), 2 Rogue Bear (Upg), Salamander

Clint IIC, Arctic Wolf, Bear Cub 3, Ursus 2, Rifleman 6X
3 Rabid BA, 2 Volk BA

Vehicle Supernova Trinary
3 Hui AA, 1 Hui std, 4 Zoyra (Armor), 2 Morrigu
2 GDL Surat, 2 Elemental (Fire/Flamer), Kobold IIC

2 Skanda, 2 Joust BE701, 4 Tyr ISV, 2 SM1a Tank Destroyer
4 Golem (Sup), mag clamp BA

2 Donar w/TAG, 6 Balac, 2 Gossamer

Going to bring the worst enemy of vehicles & infantry- clusters and fire!  Depending on which star/nova you select I would not be troubled facing a company of Scorpions with infantry support.  I think the first nova could take a battalion of Scorpions and two of infantry without too many problems- running empty on ammo is the one that comes to mind even on maps that have good tank country.  But after knocking out enough Scorpions to send them into retreat the Bear force would be able to fall back to their dropship to reload.  The three light tank regiments and six infantry regiments will not all be concentrated to face me . . . I would expect a third of the force to maybe be surrounding the capital with the rest protecting assets from pirates.

But the question is would the planet really resist (unless the leadership was Blake/Wolv) and even then being acclimated to the Clans they would probably follow the Trial system if they were not getting taken over- why fight with everything when you are not losing territory or resources.  You still have to defend your sovereignty but losing the Trial would still be face saving.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2018, 17:03:36 »
Lets see here...

My redo of traditional TT-style force:

A Pair of Hunter Jumpships and another pair of Odyssey-class Jumpships with a single Congress Warship.

4th Kavalleri is the unit.

Given that I can carry up towards 10 droppers, I'd take following: 2x Lion WD, 1x Lion, 2x Union-C, 1x Seeker, 1x Carrier, and 1x Polaris. ( 8 minimum )

Giving me 60 mechs, 48 heavy tanks, 64 light tanks, 29 Platoons of Infantry ( 20-25 each ), 10 Points of Elemental, 20 Aerospace fighters and 6 Small Craft ( 2 are Dragonstar and the last 4 are Mark VII-C Landing craft.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2018, 21:32:58 »
Nah, not a Galaxy. But Kappa is the unit on site so they are who you should look to for equipment levels.

Also it is pre 3130 so expect Mech levels to be Binaries rather than Trinaries.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2018, 21:56:48 »
Ah, well I pulled in a frontline/cherry picked nova for command, the rest is second string gear.  I am actually thinking of putting the command nova against a battalion of mixed Scorpions in MM.  Not sure how the version I have from spring works with the infantry, I know I had problems with infantry & BA before.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2018, 22:05:44 »
So, not much more than most 3050 invasion worlds had.

A SuperNova should be able to conquer the entire planet over the course of several engagements never having to face more than a Battalion each of Armor/Infantry at a time.

Actually, toss in a Star of Fighters just to ensure that anyone attempting to move those regiments closer together gets harassed & slowed down so the Super-Nova is never dealing with anything above a mixed regiment.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register