Author Topic: Aegean System  (Read 3094 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Aegean System
« on: 31 October 2018, 09:40:41 »
Hello all,

While we are playing in a tank-centric RPG right now (I need to Update that thread, reminder to self) I have been thinking about setting a campaign in a periphery area. And well, I have been thinking how it would be to model that after the Greece of the Peloponnesian and Persian wars. So here come my random musings. Suggestions and your own ideas more than welcome :)

MODEL: In the Double Blind book I read a few weeks ago, we find Astrokaszy, a planet with a series of cities ruled by local tyrants and desert tribes. Each city and desert tribe has a few mechs, between 2 and 8, and heavy walls in their central fortress (the cities). That works well for what I am envisioning here, a poor system with several city states in a pair of planets or 3. I plan on having somewhat larger forces, but not by much, sothe idea is to have a mech company per city or less.

In terms of power, I envision that a power will have roughly 1 mechs per 5.000 warriors. So a force of 40.000 hoplites are 8 mechs. Most cities will be able to field a mech lance. Hoplites would be medium and heavy mechs, while peltasts would be light mechs and psiloi vehicles. Cavalry would be heavier vehicles. More or less, this is not a hard rule.

There will be a fair use of tanks and hovercraft since mechs will not be numerous.

PLANETS
In order (and satellites):
Apollo (sun) - Etna - Peloponesus (Istmus) - Aegean (asteroids + Boetia) - Olympus (Delphi Station) - Hades

PELOPONNESUS: the second planet of the system, the first being Etna. A terran planet, the richest of the System in natural resources. Hotter than Aegeus and its surrounding moons. Dominated by Sparta and the lower power of Argos. Messenia and Mantinea are also important powers in the planet controlling large parts of its surface.

ISTMUS is Peloponnesus’ moon. An ore rich location with 2 local powers, Corinth and Megara. They are more spacefaring than the ones in Peloponnesus.

AEGEAN. A blue gas giant and the third planet of the system. It is near enough of Apollo, the system’s star, that some of its larger moons are habitable. It has a large ring of asteroid belts. Its most important moon is Boetia, but a lot of minor satellites and large asteroids (not clear igf they are asteroids or satellites) also house human habitation. Aegean is the heart of the system more than Peloponnesus, and a lot of commerce and industry is located in its many rings.

BOETIA: The largest moon of Aegeus. Cold and rainy. 2 powers. Thebes and Athens. Thebes tends to exploit the planet the most, while Athens has concentrated in exploiting the asteroid belt of Aegeus and is a strong spacefaring nation with the largest Galley fleet in the system.

DELPHI STATION is a space station orbiting Olympus, the 4th planet of the system. Olympus is a tectonically active planet with very hard storms that make it unusable by humans. Delphi Station is the nearest point of habitation to the System’s jump point, and acts as a mercenary hiring hall for the system as well as a trade point for all the powers that be, since Delphi and Olympus have a neural ground status. It also has the system’s only HPG station.

MILITARY
ATHENS produces aerospace fighters and small monitors called Galleys. Uses medium mechs.
THEBES is supposed to have a few assaults, but relies in medium mechs as well. Nobody is sure about the Assaults rumor since they have never used them. Yet.
SPARTA uses heavy mechs, some medium mechs and hovercraft run by slaves.
Other powers use medium mechs.
The large asteroids and small moons of Aegeus tend to have Galleys (monitors) and fighters, but not mechs, even if some have them as well in small numbers.

WARFARE relies a lot in mercenaries. Most mercenary commands tend to sport between 1 and 4 mechs and some armor.

OTHER POWERS

MACEDONIA. Nearby system. Fairly poor.

THRACE is a nearby system. Less develped system. they train good mech jocks and produce hovercraft that are used extensively as mercenaries. They raid Aegean as well from time to time.

PERSIA. Nearby multisystem power. Uses a lot of armor and light mechs. It controls 4 Systems and tends to skirmish/raid 2 nearby Aegean-influenced systems (Ionia and Aeolia)

WEAPONS PRODUCERS:

THESSALY AUTOMOTIVES. Hovercraft and VTOLS. Located in Thessaly, one of the smaller satellites of Aegean. Their production plant is underground to stand up to the cold climate of the thin atmosphere.

PHALANX INC. A small mech builder. It has a production centre in Peloponnese. Builds some medium and heavy mechs at a rate of less than 15 per year. The small production runs of heavy mechs are contractually dedicated to Sparta. They also build tracked vehicles and have experimented with a tracked mech called TROJAN, but the prototype was destroyed in dubious circumstances and the experiment has not been repeated.

HOPLITE WEAPONS. The second mech builder in the system, this one is located in Boetia. It tends to sell to the local powers, but is also willing to sell abroad, including the other satellites of Aegean and even powers of Peloponnesus and Istmus. Can assemble a few light and medium mechs at a slow rate of less than 10 per year.

No power produces assalts in the System, but there are rumors that Thebes got some. Type is unknown.

PHYRAEUS AEROSPACE. Builds fighters, and transport ships. Located in Athens.

AEGEUS AEROSPACE and other minor powers also build aerospace fighters and bulk carriers.

the mechs builts are limited in number, in the models available and in tech base. More 3025 than anything. Same for the aerospace fighters. I am unsure about allowing mechs to be built in system. One one hand it explains how they *do* have the mechs they have, but it looks somewhat over the top to have mechs production lines and be a backwater...

There are also the Galleys, a kind of small system monitors that resembles an enlarged fighter design with a crew of around 20 and limited transport capacity. To foreigners they look like oversized Leopards with a more sleek design. The powers around Aegeus use these a lot to protect themselves from the depredations of the planetside powers with mechs. Still, Athens is the largest user of Galleys, and that puts them in a dominant position to control the trade in the system.

++++++++++++
I am considering some weird rules regarding warfare, like transport ships being considered untargetable in order to prevent aerospace fighter to rule the wars between the powers with mechs being irrelevant.

Suggestions welcome. I am not sure about putting all that in a single system, it it also has some appeal being self contained instead of a whole 10-system thing.

Cheers,
Xavi
« Last Edit: 31 October 2018, 16:03:39 by Elmoth »

snakespinner

• Captain
Re: Aegean System
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2018, 00:55:21 »
For mech production just do it like Niops.
Hand build mechs just a small amount a year but no production line. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2018, 23:17:55 »
Looks like somebody's been playing the new Assassin's Creed... ;)

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2018, 13:34:45 »
Not really. I have class very limited gaming experience when it comes to computers/consoles. :) Forbthe low level of knowledge  I have on assassin's Creed I think it would not fit my style for loose historical games anyway. More into close combat and Rome than jumping parkour dudes. No idea they had a classic Greek version. :) Been reading Tucydides actually :)
« Last Edit: 02 November 2018, 17:49:42 by Elmoth »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2018, 13:41:12 »
For mech production just do it like Niops.
Hand build mechs just a small amount a year but no production line. :thumbsup:
maybe limit it to Primitive Mechs and armed Industrials for local production? would make any visiting groups instantly valuable to all the factions, since their succession wars tech (or even higher) units would be the mech equivalents of demigods.

you could go further and limit non-mech vehicles to age of war designs as well.. would keep mechs (even primatives and industrials) as the top dogs, and would go a long way towards showcasing their backwater nature.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2018, 13:43:09 by glitterboy2098 »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2018, 18:14:30 »
I want them to be significant, but not Achilles, Hector and Ajax xD So probaby not going to such extremes. Still, the custom artisan mechs look cool, so I will probably go that way. Good suggestion :) They will import some of the most high tech components (fision plants, gyroscopes, ...) and rely in fairly simple mech designs (introtech). Sounds fair to me.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2018, 03:34:26 by Elmoth »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2018, 09:27:33 »
OK, approximate mech strengths. Still deciding on the armor complements.

SPARTA: 1 Batalion. a heavy company plus 2 medium companies. Light role covered by vehicles.
ARGOS: 2 companies. Has a heavy command lance
MESSENIA: 1 company. A few heavies.
MANTINEA: 1 company.

CORINTH: 1 company
MEGARA: 2 Lances

ATHENS: 1 batalion. 2 medium and 1 light company.
THEBES: 2 reinforced companies + up to 3 assault mechs.

ARGOS ASTEROID BELT: mechs numbering up to 2-3 companies. Light and medium mechs in a hodgepodge combination; they are divided between several asteroid belt powers, so it is not a cohesive force   

DELPHI STATION: 4 LAM Honor Guard lance.
Delphi Station has 4 venerable LAMs acting as part of its aerospace complement. These are 2 ancient Phoenix Hawk LAMs called Apollo and Artemis and 2 stinger LAMs called Castor and Pollux. The MechWarriors are provided by the powers of the system. It is high prestige to be a MechWarrior in the honor guard, and mechwarriors compete for it in the Mech Olympiad every 4 years. Athens and Sparta tend to have a pilot each. This lance reports to the High oracle during their time in the station. The LAM tend to act as flotilla leaders for the fighters and Galleys in the station.

I am looking at a trio of (mercenary) mechs plus some armor being a significant force in the system, but not overwhelming. Maybe I am puting too many mechs around?  :screw_loose:
« Last Edit: 06 November 2018, 10:03:47 by Elmoth »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2018, 20:42:30 »
Bonus points if the mercenary CO is named Xenophon...  8)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2018, 06:23:26 »
Bonus points if the mercenary CO is named Xenophon...  8)

Certainly an option, but that would depend on the players. I guess they would not sound like that :) In any case these are concepts. Final names (when used) will probably not be those to hide a little bit such a blatant rip off. :) Persia might be a crusader Amish country for example, and the greeks might be a bunch of hyped up geological religious guys or some nonsense like that.

Cheers,
Xavi

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2018, 19:10:59 »
given the system set up, expect your players to make lots of Battlestar Galactica References. :)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2018, 22:10:53 »
given the system set up, expect your players to make lots of Battlestar Galactica References. :)
or Firefly ;)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2018, 02:19:37 »
I wouldn't mind either. Pop culture is a thing in our games. I am sure the Millenium Falcon will be a dropship. The Millenium falcon is always there if there are vehicles. We had a cart called the Falcon in a Viking invasion RPG after all.
However, besides the names, I did not find BSG to be very greek. It screams greek to me, not cylon. Even if now I am considering putong a slightly worn SLDF computer in Olympus with a defence instalation and attack drones...
« Last Edit: 16 November 2018, 02:22:00 by Elmoth »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2018, 03:34:55 »
I'm sure dozens have done it.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2018, 03:37:31 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2018, 01:08:48 »
That's no Olympus...

That's an ancient battle damaged M-9 Pavise...

Called Olympus...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2018, 01:48:19 »
That's no Olympus...

That's an ancient battle damaged M-9 Pavise...

Called Olympus...

TT
Great! I was unaware of those. Thanks, it fits the idea perfectly.
I will make the 4 LAM be identified as friendlies and drone controllers. Will explain why the Delphos guys are allowed to fly CAP around it. :)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2018, 18:34:11 »
You could also have those LAMs have ancient SLDF IFF transponders that work... which would allow them to be excepted as friendlies by the Pavise's computer. So BlackWasp, Voidseeker : Interceptor or Striker?

You could use some of the drop collars as a perma-hard mounted Small Dropship Hydroponics.

Fresh fruits and Veggies are a rare, but good commodity, as well as a cash crop.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register