Author Topic: (Answered) TAG, Semi Guided Munitions, Terrain & indirect vs Direct Fire  (Read 2043 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Me Again :D

New bizarre question comes from BattleMech Manual & Total Warfare.

Page 142 of Total Warfare States:

Semi-Guided Missile
When firing semi-guided missiles at any target in range successfully designated by a friendly TAG (below), the attacker ignores the target movement modifier (if firing indirectly, also ignore indirect fire, terrain and spotter movement modifiers).

And BattleMech Manual, page 31:
Semi-Guided Missiles: If their target has been designated by friendly TAG (see p. 113), these munitions ignore the target movement modifier. If fired indirectly, they also ignore all indirect fire, spotter, and terrain modifiers.

Does this mean, a Unit that is firing direct (has LoS) must pay for terrain modifiers? I.E A unit standing in Heavy Woods at gets the +2 heavy Woods bonus for a Direct Fire Attack, but it doesn't get the heavy woods bonus for an indirect attack? I could see the elimination for intervening terrain, but to lose the bonus for occupying the terrain hurts and makes indirect attacks a simply Skill + Range attack roll.

And what about Water? Does water still grant the target (if a 'mech) the +1 Cover bonus on an indirect Fire attack, or does it simply allow the target 'Mech to avoid damage on Location Rolls that hit the legs?
« Last Edit: 21 July 2019, 14:11:20 by Xotl »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: TAG, Semi Guided Munitions, Terrain & indirect vs Direct Fire
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2019, 15:12:32 »
Ummm....BUMP?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Is it ok to bump this?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
It's always okay to bump something after a month has passed.

Yes, direct fire = terrain mods apply.  Indirect is just better in this case (though note that the TAGging unit had to worry about terrain mods to nail the TAG in the first place, so it's not like the terrain didn't have some effect).

As for partial cover provided by water, indirect fire already has a note stating that you ignore the TN mod it provides, but leg protection still applies, so we're going with that for consistency's sake.  However, there will be a bit of errata added to the BMM to make that crystal clear.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2019, 15:53:24 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
It's always okay to bump something after a month has passed.

Yes, direct fire = terrain mods apply.  Indirect is just better in this case (though note that the TAGging unit had to worry about terrain mods to nail the TAG in the first place, so it's not like the terrain didn't have some effect).

As for partial cover provided by water, indirect fire already has a note stating that you ignore the TN mod it provides, but leg protection still applies, so we're going with that for consistency's sake.  However, there will be a bit of errata added to the BMM to make that crystal clear.

OK, Thanx!