Author Topic: How hard is it to get a custom Omni config?  (Read 5567 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
How hard is it to get a custom Omni config?
« on: 18 March 2019, 08:03:30 »
First off, I'm asking an in-universe question.

Can Mechwarrior Joe just request a custom load out on their Omni?  The engineer in my says it can't be quite simple as plug 'n play.
I imagine remixing stock designs is fairly easy.  Take the right side of Mad Dog Prime, the left side of a Mad Dog C, and Bob's your uncle.  Anything that would be a Class A or B Refit for standard mechs should be similarly easy.  Adder B, with a PPC instead of the LPlas?  Piece of cake.  Natasha's Widowmaker, or Aiden's Timby, on the other hand are a bit more involved. There aren't a lot of Timber Wolves with jets so the techs need to source or fabricate the jump jet mounting points.

One random Mechwarrior demanding a custom rig can throw logistics into a tailspin.  "Why are we shipping 10 ER medium lasers to this scout star?" "Sigh, Mechwarrior Phil wants to turn his Kit Fox into a Nova."

If I had to make a guess, customs using parts already in the inventory have to be signed off by the star's commander.  If your custom puts a big enough ding in the stock pile, the trinary commander needs to give their stamp.   
Thoughts?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: How hard is it to get a custom Omni config?
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2019, 08:13:21 »
I'd guess the higher up the totem pole of rank you are, the more leeway you're given on custom jobs.  If you're Mechwarrior Dave and you want to slap an ER PPC onto your Dragonfly your CO will probably tell you to shut the hell up and go with one of the normal Configs.  But if you was say..a Galaxy Commander, and you want to put 3 x Gauss rifles on your Direwolf, there's no one to say no to you other than the Khan or SaKhan and I doubt they would bother with such minutea.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

massey

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2019, 09:07:06 »
Yeah, I agree on that.  But I'd say that even Mechwarrior Dave could get a custom config... if the techs had some downtime, and there were some extra guns laying around, and his CO doesn't want him to use a specific config for some reason.

I think most Clan mechwarriors would want to tear out things like Active Probes, TAG, and other non-gun equipment.  So I think there has to be a certain amount of "no, you're taking this configuration" in the Clan military.  But if you've got a guy who is extra good with an ER Large Laser, and he wants to swap out that Ultra AC 5, and you've got an ER Large that nobody is using right now (or thinks they might want to use in the future)?  Then sure, no problem.

There may be a certain protectiveness of spare parts though.  Like if I'm the Star Colonel, and I want to swap out to my favorite 9 Streak SRM 6 variant, and then I can't because the techs tell me that Mechwarrior Dave is using half of them?  I'll be pissed.  So I bet there are some spare parts that just sit on the shelf, because the commander might get a wild hair up his ass someday.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2019, 09:30:17 »
Totally agree :) I guess its down to how much downtime you've got and if there's spares, as well as the mission you're deploying on.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2019, 13:04:19 »
Yeah, I agree on that.  But I'd say that even Mechwarrior Dave could get a custom config... if the techs had some downtime, and there were some extra guns laying around, and his CO doesn't want him to use a specific config for some reason.

I think most Clan mechwarriors would want to tear out things like Active Probes, TAG, and other non-gun equipment.  So I think there has to be a certain amount of "no, you're taking this configuration" in the Clan military.  But if you've got a guy who is extra good with an ER Large Laser, and he wants to swap out that Ultra AC 5, and you've got an ER Large that nobody is using right now (or thinks they might want to use in the future)?  Then sure, no problem.
So a Hellbringer Prime, with the A-pods and machine guns traded for heat sinks might be relatively common.

There may be a certain protectiveness of spare parts though.  Like if I'm the Star Colonel, and I want to swap out to my favorite 9 Streak SRM 6 variant, and then I can't because the techs tell me that Mechwarrior Dave is using half of them?  I'll be pissed.  So I bet there are some spare parts that just sit on the shelf, because the commander might get a wild hair up his ass someday.
Sounds like grounds for a Trial of Grievance. Although there might need to be a separate trial to decide if Dave gets to use all those Streak 6's in the main trial....
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2019, 15:48:02 »
So a Hellbringer Prime, with the A-pods and machine guns traded for heat sinks might be relatively common.

Generally yeah.  I mean for some reason the Prime is supposed to be common, but we all know that A-Pods suck.  So I don't know why people would have them in the first place, unless in-universe they are much more effective than they are in the game.  There's a clear disconnect there between their description and their game performance.  I also tend to take the position that machine guns are useful in the day to day life of a mechwarrior in a way that doesn't really get represented on the tabletop.  So I don't know that people would want to swap them out that much.

But yeah basically you'd see a lot of mechwarriors making relatively small customization changes to their Omnis, as long as it didn't inconvenience somebody of higher rank.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2019, 18:48:06 »
A-pods can save your butt against antimech infantry that appear out of nowhere (typically,  double-blind play) as damage applies immediately and it doesn't take much to reduce numbers to the point where the anti-mech to-hit number skyrockets.

Out of universe, I've always seen the Hellbringer as a technology demonstrator.  It has pretty near everything new introduced with Clans and 3050-era tech in general.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2019, 03:33:23 »
I think it would depend on a number of things;

1) The Clan - Some Clans may be more willing to allow customization than others. We know the Jade Falcon's trained their warriors in how to reconfigure their machines so they might be more willing to allow customization.

2) The Warrior - I think the Clans would allow Warriors to configure to their strengths. If Warrior Bob was good with missiles, Bob would be assigned a config with missiles and allowed to tweak it from there.

3) The Warrior - The above also depends on how good a warrior Bob is. If he barely passed his Trial he's not likely going to be allowed to customize his mech. Of course he could demand a Trial

4) The Availability of Parts - The parts to customize a unit may or may not be available. If not Bob'll get what's available and that it. Trials can of course be declared to get the parts but he might have to challenge someone outside his clan for the parts.

5) What the Customization is - It's a lot easier to change pods than it is to change fixed equipment. He may not be allowed to do a full customization.

6) Special Missions - There maybe times where missions dictate the configuration so Bob's configuration is going to be changed.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2019, 09:03:40 »
As far as we know, it is as simple as Plug and Play. So as long as you're not modifying the base chassis (trying to swap out the Avatar's fixed medium lasers for example), any configuration should be possible.

Now, whether the MW is allowed to do it, if you've got the spare pods to do it, etc, is a whole other matter, but yes, changing the layout of an Omni to something other than the published variants is perfectly fine.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2019, 10:49:58 »
As far as we know, it is as simple as Plug and Play. So as long as you're not modifying the base chassis (trying to swap out the Avatar's fixed medium lasers for example), any configuration should be possible.

Now, whether the MW is allowed to do it, if you've got the spare pods to do it, etc, is a whole other matter, but yes, changing the layout of an Omni to something other than the published variants is perfectly fine.
It's fluffed as plug & play, and for known configurations, it is, but for nonstandard configurations, there are headaches and hassles that are invisible to the tabletop and RPG. The rules say that you can put a uAC/20 on a Couger's arm, but in universe it's going to be more complicated.  Lets assume the pod can bolt right onto the chassis, and connecting to data and cooling is as easy as some quick connect fittings. What about armor? The techs still need to build an armored shell around that monster gun.  You also need to requisition enough ammo feed track to get from the left let to the right arm. 

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2019, 13:27:40 »
And then you'd have to probably faff around with the gyro and the like to take into account that there's now 12 tons of weight hanging off one arm and nothing to counter balance it.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 March 2019, 14:32:39 »
And then you'd have to probably faff around with the gyro and the like to take into account that there's now 12 tons of weight hanging off one arm and nothing to counter balance it.

Oddly enough, I would expect that part to be relatively painless.  A well designed omni system would include a CAD/CAM package where you drag and drop the weapon into position on a computer model of the mech.  Click "Generate Brackets" to create the necessary support hardware, then click "Fabricate." While the CNC mill is busy hogging out material or the laser sintering 3d printer is gleefully melting granules of titanium, you click "Calculate Center Mass."  Go get some coffee while the bouncing beach ball of boredom does its thing.  Then "Calibrate Gyro."

If it's a new config, I would probably want to run it through a full physics simulator, or at least have some shakedown time before going into combat, but that kind of timid, hid under your bed thinking is for sibko washouts and Spherioids!!!!

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 19 March 2019, 18:17:16 »
There is a lot of Fan Speculation, and little in the way of hard canon on this.

What IS depicted in the novels, shows that Natasha Kerensky was able to arrange, pretty easily, to have Phelan's training mechs equipped as she saw fit. Could just be privileges of rank, could just be that you can configure as you please.

Novels ALSO depict Aiden and Marthe of the Prydes playing with custom configurations during their sibko days. This COULD just be wishful thinking, but they don't say anything that gives me the impression that you can't just make your own omni configs as suits your whim.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 19 March 2019, 18:55:50 »
I believe the gyros calibration (or whatever) for omni's can automatically handle the change, it's provided as the reason mechanized BA can mount/dismount without issue. Power cables, ammo feeds are assumed to be covered under podding, even if they're physically separate.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2019, 02:28:58 »

The base chassis can be changed but only as a class F modification at the factory. That kind of customization I don't think would be allowed just because the Mechwarrior wants to. It could happen but I don't think it's likely. Unless of course Bob is a Khan or Sa-Khan. Then what he want's he gets. On the other hand I can see the Clan sending Bob's OMNI back to the factory to replace the damaged no longer used Medium Lasers with the new ER Medium Lasers.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2019, 08:12:33 »

The base chassis can be changed but only as a class F modification at the factory. That kind of customization I don't think would be allowed just because the Mechwarrior wants to. It could happen but I don't think it's likely. Unless of course Bob is a Khan or Sa-Khan. Then what he want's he gets. On the other hand I can see the Clan sending Bob's OMNI back to the factory to replace the damaged no longer used Medium Lasers with the new ER Medium Lasers.
TPTB have finally allowed changes to an omni's base equipment that don't let the smoke escape?

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2019, 11:04:42 »
There is a lot of Fan Speculation, and little in the way of hard canon on this.

What IS depicted in the novels, shows that Natasha Kerensky was able to arrange, pretty easily, to have Phelan's training mechs equipped as she saw fit. Could just be privileges of rank, could just be that you can configure as you please.

Novels ALSO depict Aiden and Marthe of the Prydes playing with custom configurations during their sibko days. This COULD just be wishful thinking, but they don't say anything that gives me the impression that you can't just make your own omni configs as suits your whim.
While Natasha was an old woman with no rank at the time, all she had to do was ask, "Do you want to see how fast I can get Khan Ulric on the phone?"  That's assuming she didn't walk into the mech bay declare a trial of grievance against the first person she saw, beat the crap out them and then handed the head tech her configuration.  'Cause she's the Black frickin Widow!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 20 March 2019, 15:27:58 »
In the Jade Falcon Trilogy, there's a Trial of Grievance between two of the Falcon Guards when Aiden is rebuilding the unit. Summer Mandaka pilots a Hellbringer with a non-standard configuration.

So its definitely possible.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 20 March 2019, 15:32:32 »
TPTB have finally allowed changes to an omni's base equipment that don't let the smoke escape?

I don't know what erratad rules say officially but here a couple threads I found saying it was legal.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63036.0

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=38270.0

massey

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 01 April 2019, 14:21:53 »
Well, the thing about Omnismoke is that it's a logical concept.  On the one hand, you've got regular mechs, and they take forever to modify.  Swapping out equipment is a long and drawn out process.  On the other hand you've got Omnimechs, which can be modified incredibly quickly.  But the game rules don't make it any harder to build an Omni versus a regular mech.  Once your faction has access to the technology, you just sort of declare that your mech is an Omni, and now it is.

So for the game rules, there's nothing harder or more complicated with building an Omnimech.  But apparently it's a lot more work in the fiction.  We don't know what they have to do, just that it's more complex.  So... when you've got fixed equipment, they didn't do that part?

Omnismoke reinforces the idea that there's some complex process that is going on when you design a mech that is not reflected in the fairly simple game construction rules.  Like maybe you have to do something really complex with the internal layout and be really careful in the design.  Some of the Dark Age stuff I believe backs that up, with Clans losing the ability to produce some Omni designs.  So do we go with a more narrative based explanation, where there's complexity of design that we don't see in the game rules?

Or do we go with the game mechanic version, where the process of creating a new Omni is so simple that you just say "there, it's a new Omni"?  That doesn't really taste right either.  It seems to simplify a lot of the background and I think removes some character from designs.  We know that engineers aren't really going through and figuring out how to make it so the Avatar's medium lasers aren't hardwired in, but to say "yeah, you can swap those out for extra heat sinks now" feels cheap.  I had always figured that things that were hardwired in were that way for a reason.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 02 April 2019, 07:08:20 »
I don't have a problem with OMNIsmoke.  With everything not fixed being modular in Pods, I can see changing that easy plug and play causing problems and releasing the OMNIsmoke. I can also see that making it harder to alter fixed components. Not impossible, just a lot more difficult to do. That's why its a factory only thing. 

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 02 April 2019, 07:47:16 »
We know that engineers aren't really going through and figuring out how to make it so the Avatar's medium lasers aren't hardwired in, but to say "yeah, you can swap those out for extra heat sinks now" feels cheap.  I had always figured that things that were hardwired in were that way for a reason.

I've vague recollection those are because the targeting system had issues. Perhaps the computer had limits how many pod-weapons it could handle?
No doubt solvable problem, but at the time the Kuritans probably didn't have time to spend on fixing relatively small issue (two medium lasers are never a bad thing), and later on it would require modifying production lines and/or existing 'Mechs, plus it would be to solve a problem that isn't really even a problem.

In-universe, most fixed components are probably either for role reasons (the Mist Lynx is intended to be a recon-capable design regardless of its config), or because there's some engineering issue that is best solved by leaving equipment fixed (for example, suppose there's no space for a weapon pod where the Adder's flamer is, but gyro is already calibrated for 16 tons, so they have half a ton over... and non-podded flamer can be worked into the design.)
EDIT Just to be clear, i'm talking about physical, real space, not the abstracted record sheet slots. Assume the 'Mech's mostly designed already and there's no way it can modified to include one more pod at this stage. After all, a podded weapon is self-contained with overall shape being something akin to a box, whereas a fixed weapon might be weirdly shaped and be fitted into places where a pod cannot be (like under the cockpit/"nose" in the Adder).

In real life: "Don't think about it too closely", and "game mechanical necessity, otherwise you erase the difference between standards and Omnis".
Personally i like fixed equipment in Omnis, it can inform the intended role or serve as a backup weapon that allows me to focus on designing config around primary purpose. Plus it gives character, otherwise Omnis tend to be pretty... well, boring, since they're rather similar to each other when empty. Obviously fixed equipment goes against the concept in a way... but they do occasionally give a reason for another, different, later OmniMech.

---

Now, on the actual topic, pretty sure somewhere it was stated that (Inner Sphere or Clans, can't recall) usually the unit commander decides what pilots under them will be using. Depending on the conflict/trial scale, a Star Commander might designate configurations for warriors under their command, or perhaps a the commander of a Binary or Trinary or Cluster would order certain Stars for certain roles (eg "Alpha Star will be equipped for long-range missile support, specifics to follow").
I'd assume that actual individual configuration is a rank privilege in combat operations, or a granted privilege ("Warrior ABC has potential to be a ristar, they can pick what they want"). Trials are naturally an exception, depending on the clan, even cadets might be able to pick their own configs for training scenarios or their Trial of Position.
Of course, the Clans being what they are, it is plausible a Warrior could demand a Trial of Refusal over being ordered to use a specific configuration, though this would be bad form during actual combat (but before a routine patrol or some such, why not).
Probably the same within the Inner Sphere, but no option to disputing ordered configuration. Privately owned OmniMechs with privately owned podded-weapon collection might be an exception, though insisting on using direct fire weapons for a missile support mission probably isn't too smart.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2019, 07:54:07 by Empyrus »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #22 on: 02 April 2019, 09:46:29 »
Yeah, the Avatar had a Fire Control problem with the pod where they would drop out . . . and suddenly your Omni had nothing to shoot with, so thus the hardwired MLs.  But its nice that I can now swap them for ERMLs let alone DHS.

Did the Avatar have a quirk for its early production years to have the weapons go out?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 02 April 2019, 17:21:35 »
How easy, my thoughts is I'm Mechwarrior Xander  I go in and tell the Tech the following.

Now it is his job to figure how to do it for me, that way above my pay grade cause I'm a mechwarrior
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #24 on: 03 April 2019, 00:53:37 »
How easy, my thoughts is I'm Mechwarrior Xander  I go in and tell the Tech the following.

Now it is his job to figure how to do it for me, that way above my pay grade cause I'm a mechwarrior

As demonstrated by Aidan, Mechwarriors are encouraged to learn tech skills from a young age.  He also gave his Summoner a custom loadout before his Trial of Refusal.  After said Trial of Refusal he had to prepare his Summoner for the Trial of Bloodright where he had another loadout. 

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #25 on: 03 April 2019, 00:57:44 »
As demonstrated by Aidan, Mechwarriors are encouraged to learn tech skills from a young age.  He also gave his Summoner a custom loadout before his Trial of Refusal.  After said Trial of Refusal he had to prepare his Summoner for the Trial of Bloodright where he had another loadout.

There's also the tech turned mechwarrior in test of vengeance. She did basic repairs mid mission.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 03 April 2019, 08:16:50 »
So the narrative has Aiden turning wrenches, not just giving his crew chief a spec sheet?
Other than his Timber Wolf, did any of his non-standard rides ever get stats?

Maybe the more interesting question is "how do you get a custom Omni without the crew chief taking the spec sheet, rolling it up and poking you in the eye with it?" :)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #27 on: 03 April 2019, 08:25:07 »
So the narrative has Aidan turning wrenches, not just giving his crew chief a spec sheet?
Other than his Timber Wolf, did any of his non-standard rides ever get stats?

The narrative said Aidan had to repair his own Summoner without a Tech, and he had a limited amount of time to do it.  Joana lent him her tech, but Aidan was in there with the wrenches himself as his mech was pretty beat up after the Trial of Refusal (in the novel Bloodname), and he only had days until the Trial of Bloodright. Even Joana helped with tech work!

I think the only mech of Aidans that was stated out is the Timber Wolf. 
« Last Edit: 07 April 2019, 12:48:30 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #28 on: 14 April 2019, 16:41:09 »
another interesting example is MechWarrior Zane from Path of Glory...he was able to get the standard armour on his Pack Hunter (a non-Omni!) changed out to FF armour needing only the approval of his commander...

so a non-Bloodnamed low-rank MechWarrior was able to get his standard 'Mech modified to such a degree relatively easily

while that might not apply to all Clans, I think that should mean that OmniMech loadouts would be easy to modify, even for your average MechWarrior
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 19 April 2019, 00:26:40 »
Aidan also had a hand/hands put on his Summoner back when he was posing as a freeborn. He was only a Star Commander and in the doghouse for killing another warrior but that went through like nothing.

Register