Poll

So, a retcon happens: How significant should it be?

[Story] Minor. (Examples: Statistical data or imagery changes that tweak universe factoids but have little impact on story. Changes to population numbers, economic factors, planetary data, force sizes, the look of the Unseen, etc.)
166 (20.1%)
[Story] Modest. (Examples: A single event outcome changes that ripples through the story but doesn't change balance of power that much, such as Ian Davion not dying on Mallory's World or GDL surviving Hesperus II)
95 (11.5%)
[Story] Major. (Examples: A major event or series of events change entirely--or fail to occur--that results in a new balance of power, such as the Fourth War being aimed at Kurita instead of Liao, or Kurita winning the Davion War of Succession)
56 (6.8%)
[Story] Severe. (Examples: A fundamental change is made to the entire balance of the setting, such as the destruction of the SLDF before its Exodus preventing the creation of the Clans, or the deletion of any of the five Great Houses from canon.)
23 (2.8%)
[Story] Extreme. (Examples: The universe is rewritten from scratch; nothing is guaranteed and all previous canon is null and void.)
34 (4.1%)
[Story] NONE! (I DON'T CARE IF IT MAKES NO DAMNED SENSE! CHANGE A THING AND IT'S WAR, HERB! WAAAAAR!)
37 (4.5%)
[Game] Minor. (Examples: Minor rules changes and bug-fixes are made, such as a change to some modifiers, redistribution of units on RATs, change of the hex scale.)
134 (16.2%)
[Game] Modest. (Examples: A swath of rules tweaks are made that shifts game balance to a small degree or changes one aspect of design, such as a rewrite of large spacecraft construction, or a change in dice mechanics from D6 to D12.)
147 (17.8%)
[Game] Major. (Examples: Game play is overhauled on numerous fronts by a series of sweeping tech and rules changes, such as eliminating ProtoMechs/battle armor/WarShips entirely from the setting, eliminating hexes or hit locations from play.)
38 (4.6%)
[Game] Severe. (Examples: An entire core aspect of the game is rewritten or deleted, such as eliminating all non-'Mech units from play, replacing the core game with a Quick-Strike version of itself, eliminating construction/customization rules.)
11 (1.3%)
[Game] Extreme. (Examples: The game is rewritten from scratch; all rules and stats written from before this change are rendered wholly incompatible and anything goes--up to and including BattleMechs themselves.)
30 (3.6%)
[Game] NONE! (KEEP YOUR PAWS OFF THOSE GAME RULES, YOU DAMN, DIRTY APES!)
55 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 452

Author Topic: Retcon Reset (Volume 2): How BIG a change are we talking...?  (Read 38541 times)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Retcon Reset (Volume 2): How BIG a change are we talking...?
« on: 20 September 2012, 20:38:17 »
Hello,

So, this is part 2 of the Retcon Reset discussion: How much change can we bear?

In this part, you are given two votes--and two sets of 6 options: [Story] and [Game] changes. You must place 1 vote in each of the two categories to register your attitudes toward how much change you feel the story can bear versus the game rules. These options all presuppose that a retcon is coming (though how far back in the in-universe timeline it applies was settled in Part 1) that will be significant in some way, affecting more than one book.

[Story] changes reflect in-universe aesthetics, data, history, characters, and such that are what drive the fundamentals of the universe, but may or may not matter to the tabletop play. These can range from the art style of the 'Mechs (yeah, guys, changing the Unseen, as retcons go, is really technically a minor point, as it doesn't do a thing to the storyline at all) and basic cost stats to a paradigm-shifting universe blink in which everything we know about the backstory and setting is completely wrong.

[Game] changes reflect mechanical aspects of how one plays in BattleTech's setting, but may or may not matter to the story at large. These can range from the tweaking gameplay modifiers and range stats (Making ranges more "realistic" might change the size of your gaming tables, but as rules retcons go, they'd be modest at best, as we can easily contain that with scale tweaks throughout the whole setting) to a complete design overhaul in which everything we know about the game is transformed into something that no longer meshes with the 25 years of game rules and stats that came before.

So, cast your votes, and have fun discussing! As with Part 1, this poll runs until this coming Halloween!

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs
« Last Edit: 20 September 2012, 20:51:42 by HABeas2 »

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Re: Retcon Reset (Volume 2): How BIG a change are we talking...?
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2012, 20:54:53 »
Modest changes all around are best.

Like more than a few players, I got in from the story side (novels in 3rd grade), and for the most part the game system works.  I just needs trimming.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2012, 20:55:39 »
Originally I said I wouldn't let this frighten me...but I'm getting a little nervous... :)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2012, 21:02:39 »
I went with modest all around as well. If done with care, I could see my way up to major in either category.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2012, 21:12:48 »
Minor across the board. I don't mind some changes. Most of them can almost be classified under errata rather then a retcon anyway.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2012, 21:25:59 »
Minor Story /  Modest for Rules are my calls.

If story gets changed so moderately (or more) and it ends up invalidating 25 years worth of material, people will stop buying.  I don't think anyone wants that.  Fixing minor events, typos and logical errors because someone forgot to check older source shouldn't be barred. I think if anything needs it should be handled in a style like line-item subjects: Such as Unseens's images.  Something that hindering the entire franchise's survival ability to function, would require to be fixed.  Such as replacing unseens' images.

Rules: Things that needs to be updated, fixed, etc which doesn't compromises what makes the game fun in the first place should happen.   Other game plays styles have existed in Battletech's universe, they can continue exist side by side.  Not everyone going want everything replaced with another new mechanic unless something REALLY broken.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2012, 21:26:43 »
If you are going to go, go all in I say.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2012, 21:27:59 »
I love the core mechanics overall, but I think a lot of the peripherals could be made to match a little better, be more consistent with the styles originally set in the core rules that dealt with BattleMechs.

As for Storyline? If I had a choice, it would be less to do with any particular event and more to do with a couple concepts.

The big thing is internal consistency. I've always viewed the fiction and background information as an extension of the game and its mechanics and vice versa. I want to read about how something happens in a battle and want to be able to literally roll the dice in my head and nod and say to myself, "Yeah. That's generally how it goes in a game." On the flip side, the ranges are a particular distance for Handwavium and Bullbutter reasons, and certain modifiers apply in matching cercumstances.

So, the changes would be modest, overall. (Although there are times I'm wanting something slightly extreme, such as reviving the old AT1 rules for Star League Era space battles to bring back the magic of the era, as an example, or refining interpretations of old LAM rules to come up with different generations of that line. Something about the older rules makes the units under them seem more powerful because they have fewer limitations.)

But, that aside the changes I'd make wouldn't be necessarily separate between fiction and rules. There's a handwavium reason for the ranges being so short? Then make sure new items introduced take that into account. Have some author or creative individual come up with a semi-plausible layman's bullshit explanation and build off it. Go backwards in time and show how certain technologies became prevalent and rendered all others irrelevant. The BattleMech is the King of the Battlefield? Show it, and don't pander.

However, if there would be something ignored that would have been cool, there should be a reason and means to include it. Factions with completely unique flavors, and combat units that follow a different set of rules that mesh with the core system would be excellent things to add. Some long lost periphery kingdom decided to focus their efforts on Tanks, and they have antigrav monstrocities that are the equal to a BattleMech. (I think tanks that have an internals table like battlemechs would be cool.)Etc. So on. And so forth.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2012, 21:38:38 »
Reset the storyline to 1910. Add new game rules for flying battleships.

W.  ;)
« Last Edit: 20 September 2012, 21:50:21 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2012, 21:49:34 »
Excellent Idea, troll!

Tezla Ray Cannons from steam powered titans might have a devestating effect on electroid though.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2012, 22:02:15 »
Oh, definitely kill LAM's. 

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2012, 22:02:51 »
Everything in moderation....
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2012, 22:07:15 »
I gotta be honest, I'd LOVE, absolutely LOVE - and both from a game mechanics standpoint and a story standpoint - to see TPTB go back and change things so that the Clans never existed. But I'm also aware of the fact that the Clans have a HUGE fan base and are a big market, so it really wouldn't help the game as a PRODUCT, despite the fact that I think it would help the game SYSTEM and the UNIVERSE immensely.
Mastergunz: Pryde bloodline, that's where all the winners hang!
MDM: Preferably at the end of 6' of rope!!!

Cateran

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2012, 22:37:15 »
I voted for minor changes only to both story and rules. By that I mean more of an errata type change than anything fundamental. If a rule has a bug that needs to be tweaked (such as when the skidding rules were corrected to reflect the laws of physics), okie dokie. Anything more substantial needs to be left alone.

Same with the story. Dates don't match up? Errata, including the ever popular in-universe "Comstar lied to you" or "Records were lost during the xyz so we only had sketchy details, but now thanks to 123 we now know..." is a good fix. Beyond that, leave it alone.

Maybe I should have gone with the "Don't change nuthin'!"

DoctorX

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2012, 23:31:35 »
Modest story and Major game changes.

Modest story because well, I kinda like the idea of the GDL surviving Hesperus II, eh.

Major game since I seriously dislike the rules for motorized and mechanized infantry and would like to see the rules reflect real life closer. I won't get into specifics here but am more than willing to discuss my ideas further in a more appropriate forum thread.
"Proper Previous Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

Richard Marcinko, CDR. US Navy (Ret)

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2012, 23:36:21 »
All in. I still say if you're gonna do it go all out.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

DoctorX

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2012, 23:39:56 »
Reset the storyline to 1910. Add new game rules for flying battleships.

W.  ;)

Like the idea, but only if I can have something like the Space Battleship Yamato in my fleet.....lol
"Proper Previous Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

Richard Marcinko, CDR. US Navy (Ret)

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2012, 00:29:07 »
I'm for minor tweeks to the game rules (like making tanks and support craft more combat effective/not easily killed especially with it heading into the dark ages timeline when said units will see greater use.) but story wise I wouldn't change it. My 2 cents.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

eddie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2012, 01:39:10 »
I am a huge fan of comics and a reboot of sorts or a major change could be fun to read, write and explore.

Change of game rules? Statting from scratch? Just make a new game don't rewrite any of the core rules.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 21 September 2012, 02:10:11 »
Modest for both.

I don't want a new game, or I'll been in Warmachines a long-long ago.

Extreme retcon for me same as the "another game I'll never play"

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2012, 02:14:48 »
I went with modest story changes and major gameplay changes.  For story changes I think things are more or less fine and shifting the balance of power would not really achieve anything, but there are definitely rough spots that could use changes and they may take more than minor tweaking to fix.

As for gameplay, I am more accepting of changes there because there are some outstanding issues like ballistic weapons (especially the multi-shot versions) that could use some serious help.  My other big complaint is the LAM construction rules which I think need to be totally torn down and rebuilt because allowing iJJs offers just as much effective weight savings as all the other technologies that got banned without imposing the same crit costs and also makes it so any optimal LAM must weigh 55 tons.  I would have allowed them to mount anything except iJJs and been done with it, but at this point this would require a major retcon.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Wolverine-7SK

• Lieutenant
  • You all Rock!
« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2012, 02:35:32 »
Minor story changes are ok. Especially when there are so many old and overlapping stories that just don't make sense. If you don't tear a hole in the Sphere while doing it, I'm sure we will adjust. Older players, like myself, can be taught new stuff right?

Modest for gameplay. There already so many changes I haven't seen. Why not more. I'm sure it's for the betterment of out gaming experience.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #22 on: 21 September 2012, 02:40:35 »
I'd love to see the Zellbrigen rules re-written to reflect the realism of canon. The rules should also reflect a logical flow of combat and reasonable incorporation of common weapon types.

Example: The current rules do not consider the large amount of resources spent producing Artillery, Battle Armor and Vehicles. If these pieces of equipment are so easily excluded from combat, why would they be manufactured? Their inclusion in combat as non-warriors seems like a logical and practical idea, allowing them to fire freely at warrior and non-warrior targets.

Current, Total Warfare rules make Clan combat seem like two kickball teams picking partners before a game; it doesn't resemble warfare on any level. The Clans are masters of combat and are the descendents (worshipers) of the SLDF: Understanding and applying dynamic combat seems more reasonable than excluding extremely expensive units from a fight.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 21 September 2012, 02:51:28 »
Minor changes to storyline and rules- just to make it easier for the team to deal with inconsistencies and errors made in the past and to get rid of the unseen.

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #24 on: 21 September 2012, 05:06:41 »
[Story] Minor. (Examples: Statistical data or imagery changes that tweak universe factoids but have little impact on story. Changes to population numbers, economic factors, planetary data, force sizes, the look of the Unseen, etc.)

I voted this, but with the caveat that I'm agreeing in general principle, not specific detail.

[Game] Modest. (Examples: A swath of rules tweaks are made that shifts game balance to a small degree or changes one aspect of design, such as a rewrite of large spacecraft construction, or a change in dice mechanics from D6 to D12.)

Again I voted this, but would add that I was torn with the next level up, but the specific details put me off. The principle was good though.
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 21 September 2012, 05:14:59 »
Hello,

I voted this, but with the caveat that I'm agreeing in general principle, not specific detail.

Again I voted this, but would add that I was torn with the next level up, but the specific details put me off. The principle was good though.

No specific details were given, only examples, which were needed to delineate between the levels and impact of change. There's a difference.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: 21 September 2012, 05:42:54 »
Story- Minor

Though I would take issue with some of the things you lumped into minor, like the looks of machines or force sizes vs. straight goofy FASANOMICS. Application of these kinds of changes can really go into much heavier brackets. If you modify force sizes to make sense with stated Btech populations and industry, suddenly every Battletech war shown in the concurrent timeline looks far different than previously depicted.

Art issues are more an issue I take with Catalyst's position(and those that came before them) that all art is the lowest form of canon. While this keeps you from getting bogged down in goofy stuff shown in a one-off page in a scenario-book, it also tempts you to view all Battletech art as simply a skin applied over concepts. The iconography of the game is not such that I believe all art can be treated with so little value.

All in all, I trust you guys, but that first bit seems kind of weighted, like those bundle commercials. "But I just want you to fix population sizes." "Too bad, bundle."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BcQpOGpxcI

Rules- Modest

I trust you guys to keep the feel, even if I'm rolling a D20 for LRM-20 cluster hits. Catalyst has a pretty solid record of playtesting so the trust is there for most folks I think.

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #27 on: 21 September 2012, 06:02:52 »
Hello,
No specific details were given, only examples, which were needed to delineate between the levels and impact of change. There's a difference.

With all due respect to you, as is your due, what you think you've said and meant is not the same as what the reader will think you've said and meant.  :o

You may not like the fact that I am a total moron who doesn't understand the Queen's English and who misinterprets anything you say, and uses it against you, but it is not done out of malice a forethought.  ??? It's just that writing is an art, not a science; otherwise it would be called mathematics.  :-*
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #28 on: 21 September 2012, 07:20:03 »
[Modest] Story and [Minor] Game and with my Age of War selection from part 1 that's the most comfortable I can be.

For the story I have no problems with certain things being lost to history.
Maybe there was a small kingdom that was absorbed or had their own exodus. Now they've come back to cause mayhem on the House Lord that specifically targetted them all those centuries, or even just they now shift the balance of power after masterfully moving into the right spots.
Oh we got the introdate to a lot of things wrong, there was serious erratta in Encyclopedia Terra volume 3,000.

For the game I chose minor changes because honestly that's where I'm scared. Yes the story is the main reason I'm here but the gameplay helps me stay here when there's not enough stories to read. I almost voted for Severe because I saw the words Quick-Strike and dear sweet Ghu/Cat I love that format of the game, but the parts of removing non 'Mechs from the game entirely scared me.
I love non Mech elements! In fact I pulled people into the setting with the fact that this game scales everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. You can go nitty gritty in story or just blow stuff up at random. You can be a House Lord dictating the moves of everyone or just a simple infantry trooper hoping to survive this one gun fight. It shows the fun in a game when I can be a ship's captain dropping off the ground pounders then switch to being that kickass Mechwarrior striding into battle.

Now if Battletech proper was still provided and Quick Strike was sold as "Mechs only, want more detail? Go to traditional Battletech" that would be good, but we run the same risk of having a redheaded stepchild title again. However if done right you can set up the Mech rules for Quick Strike and pocket it away because it isn't going to be integrated into TT Battletech. It would be the little sibling to the title and not a forgotten one. That was the problem with RPGs and Aerotech. You practically had to integrate them because of the variety it provides to the fight.

But Quick Strike? Oh it just has Mechs. BT TT has Mechs too. There's no integration needed, thus it could stand on its own.
Now I don't know what's behind the curtain manpower-wise and if this would be a feasible notion. I'll trust in your judgement either way.

I hope this wasn't too much of a ramble and explained my position well.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Hawk

• Retired AF
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire
« Reply #29 on: 21 September 2012, 08:01:14 »
If only I could pick two here.....
Is the height greater than the distance from yourself?
Accidental Falls From Above are merely improvised clubs wielded by gravity.

USAF, Retired