Author Topic: Tell me about the Star Adders  (Read 4648 times)

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Tell me about the Star Adders
« on: 10 May 2018, 23:19:56 »
I have found myself becoming increasingly interested in this Clan.  I like that they are advertised as pragmatists and seeing Kerensky as a good general instead of someone to be practically worshiped. 

What are you thoughts on them?

snewsom2997

• Captain
Re: Tell me about the Star Adders
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2018, 13:34:38 »
They are a microcosm of the Star league represented by a single Clan.

Combined Arms, Total War Types. However very pragmatic.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2018, 14:08:21 »
Clan Davion is one of their nicknames.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2018, 15:20:23 by Foxx Ital »
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2018, 14:45:04 »
In 3067 they are pretty strong numbering the highest besides my Ghost Bears: after the Wars of Reacing they are the only remaining Homeworld Clan. The others are just puppet states because the Star Adders outnumber them all two to one.

Now originally they had one of the best former SLDF commanders as their Founder... then he died five minutes into Klondike but his replacements were spectacular as well.

They absorbed the Burrocks and smacked the Blood Spirits around when they tried to interfere.

The Burrocks rose up again and they smacked them down again... this time permanently. They then did a three part Trial for those Burrocks still pledging loyalty to them to make sure their was no third time.

Oh yeah and their fleet had the Warship William S Preston.

And their Khan beat the Steel Viper IlKhan to death with his ceremonial mask in the Grand Council chambers. After of course the IlKhan shot the previous Star Adder Khan in the face with a hidden laser pistol five minutes previous.

Not my favorite Clan but man do they have some interesting things going on for them.

Nemesis

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2018, 18:03:56 »
If you have to summarize them in one word, pragmatic works, but there's more depth to it than that.

They're the only clan to practice all the clan ideals, instead of picking and choosing as it suited them.

The other castes are true members of the clan with their own channels for having their voices heard, unlike some other clans where non-warriors are treated as little more than slaves. There may be rivalries among warriors, but no animosity. They'll fight like siblings do, but at the end of the day they're all on the same side. This same sense of camaraderie runs through all the castes, they all know they're working together for a common goal.

In battle they know that it's important to objectively assess the enemy, plan strategically and not just tactically, and consider the logistics needed for the entire campaign, not just the upcoming battle. All are lessons clan Smoke Kzinti should have learned before practicing what the more intelligent members of that race derisively called 'scream and leap'. Thanks to this professional approach to warfare they correctly predicted the clan invasion would fail due to being unprepared and undermanned. They understand that warriors may win personal glory, but soldiers are who win wars.

They were one of only two clans to win during the Great Refusal and they're the dominant power among the remaining homeworld clans, obviously they're doing something right.
Star Adder, Star Adder, he drives a pitch black Mech
Star Adder, Star Adder, with Heavy Laser tech

(with apologies to Rowan Atkinson)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2018, 22:31:59 »
Everything is going to their plans. Everything.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2018, 15:52:37 »
The opening fictional blurb in the Operation Revival Trials shows the Adder Khan at the time giving an impassioned speech about how the Clans in their entirety should invade the Inner Sphere.  Give each Clan a dedicated role, so that they can cover each other's weak points, and they'll more likely be successful.

Nearly every single other Khan decries this as the stupidest thing they've ever heard in their life, and the Adder Khan feels a little crushed by this.  Ulric Kerensky doesn't say anything but gives the Adder Khan a knowing look.

Ulric being a planner himself, it would make sense that he respects the Adders (who plan for EVERYTHING).  But I felt like there was something deeper going on.  My current headcanon is that Ulric wasn't, strictly speaking, a Warden.  He was an Adder Style Crusader:  if we're gonna do this thing, we're gonna do it right.  I kinda want to believe that Ulric and the Adders possibly had an alliance in the works.  Maybe they worked it out so that the Adders were the back up plan for when the Invasion started to fall apart.  Because once the Invasion starts, Clan society starts changing, and the dominoes start to fall, leading to the Wars of Reaving, which lead to the Adders being on top.

But that's probably me reading too much into it.  I do enjoy the idea that there are some Clans who are/were playing their own long-cons.  And that several Clans who thought they were clever (Ravens, and ESPECIALLY the Vipers) weren't nearly as clever as they thought, being outplayed by people like the Sharks, Coyotes (who I maintain are still up to some kind of long plan, possibly with Wolf assistance), and the Adders.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2018, 17:01:57 »
Major accomplishments include, picking on smaller clans! Letting others do the dirty jobs for them. Need extra votes? Create a smaller clan that's beholden to you.
 Can't beat that smaller Clan? Hold up the ethos of the clans while you orbitally bombard them back to the war of ages.
 Tho to be fair don't hate the clanner hate the bid. There's a good reason they came out ahead and that's because they think of tomorrow not today.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2018, 11:33:38 »
Of all the Clans they are more a modern professional soldiers`army than totem-worshipping machos.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2018, 13:45:41 »
Clan White bread, nothing that really sets them apart or makes them special.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2018, 13:59:28 »

Nothing? As far as i see they are the only clan that set pragmatism and tactics above personal honor.
They use whatever they have and is needed to make their progress. Learning on the way - like they improved their infantry assets after the Burrock absorption. They adapt and they prosper. Nothing you can say about many other clans.

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2018, 15:02:45 »
The opening fictional blurb in the Operation Revival Trials shows the Adder Khan at the time giving an impassioned speech about how the Clans in their entirety should invade the Inner Sphere.  Give each Clan a dedicated role, so that they can cover each other's weak points, and they'll more likely be successful.

Nearly every single other Khan decries this as the stupidest thing they've ever heard in their life, and the Adder Khan feels a little crushed by this.  Ulric Kerensky doesn't say anything but gives the Adder Khan a knowing look.

Ulric being a planner himself, it would make sense that he respects the Adders (who plan for EVERYTHING).  But I felt like there was something deeper going on.  My current headcanon is that Ulric wasn't, strictly speaking, a Warden.  He was an Adder Style Crusader:  if we're gonna do this thing, we're gonna do it right.  I kinda want to believe that Ulric and the Adders possibly had an alliance in the works.  Maybe they worked it out so that the Adders were the back up plan for when the Invasion started to fall apart.  Because once the Invasion starts, Clan society starts changing, and the dominoes start to fall, leading to the Wars of Reaving, which lead to the Adders being on top.

But that's probably me reading too much into it.  I do enjoy the idea that there are some Clans who are/were playing their own long-cons.  And that several Clans who thought they were clever (Ravens, and ESPECIALLY the Vipers) weren't nearly as clever as they thought, being outplayed by people like the Sharks, Coyotes (who I maintain are still up to some kind of long plan, possibly with Wolf assistance), and the Adders.

I like this idea...almost like a "what if" kinda thing going on.

As far as Demon55's question, it's actually hard to sum up Clan Star Adder with anything other than a "Planning" clan. They plan for pretty much everything like it's already been said. Probably one of the most intelligent and cunning clan there is. I wish we could see a LOT more written about them...but in the same regard, there is a lot already written about them in parts. If you take all the parts and sum them up into a whole...

It's one heck of a Clan to be proud of!
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2018, 17:14:51 »
As a Blood Spirit player, I dislike them intensely, of course.

As a Clan player, I begrudgingly hope that when they return, they smash their foes and bring the Inner Sphere under their rule as the ilClan.

As a BattleTech player, I find them rather bland and boring because they excel at everything they do, like the FedSuns.

Speaking as just me, they have some units I like (the 1st Star Sentinels, Quasar Keshik, the entirety of Beta Galaxy, and a few others). And their Khans (Hannibal and Stanislov, per their WoR pictures) are very attractive. :D

Oh, and bless them for the beauty and wonder that is the Blood Asp.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2018, 17:17:05 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2018, 18:04:22 »
Also as a Blood Spirit I consider them Dezgra dogs that should be put down with prejudice.

But beyond that I will note they were among the smarter and more effective forces in the Homeworlds and with the Burrock Absorbtion they were the size of the Invading Clans and even did a good job managing there recently absorbed troops and using the Blood Spirits to train there new troops to be effective. And seriously, they had all the luck. But to me there also almost a Inner Sphere force. Not much sets them apart other than that there a Clan of Kerensky. I honestly hope they invade in the 3150's and the Ghost Bears smash them to pieces though.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2018, 23:56:40 »
Clan Davion is one of their nicknames.

Sounds about right.

They do have a special flavor of arrogance that is interesting, and crops up in the previously mentioned OTP: Revival Trials intro and in the early part of Wars of Reaving. Adders think that they're the smartest, know that they're the smartest, and are so baffled and enraged why no one else can see that they are the best at everything. Makes me appreciate that time they voted against the renewed invasion they worked so hard for simply because someone else was going to lead it.

The stories of Absalom Truscott from the Operation Klondike supplement helped create more depth to the clan, from my perspective.

Nemesis

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2018, 11:12:52 »
As a Clan player, I begrudgingly hope that when they return, they smash their foes and bring the Inner Sphere under their rule as the ilClan.

Sadly I don't see this ever happening. The Clans had their one chance, and in typical Clan fashion they squandered it in pursuit of personal glory.

There are only 4 homeworld Clans remaining, and while they have access to the resources of all the original Clans they don't have the population or the miltary those 17 had at the time of the invasion so they can't be considered equal. Just spitballing numbers I'd say calling each equal to two of the original invading clans is being generous, though they now have far less warships.

So the equivalent of 8 Clans, vs the 7 of the original invasion which failed. Not enough to make a difference to the outcome even if this was still 3050. In addition the massive tech advantage of Operation Revival has been lost, putting the IS on an equal footing. With equal technology I'm not sure the original 17 could have won vs an Inner Sphere working together, the industrial and numerical difference is too great.

The situation gets even worse when you consider that the Inner Sphere also has 6 Clans living there who would most likely object to a new invasion, plus one more who would gleefully sell weapons to all sides. Two of those might be convinced to join an invasion, but the rest are integrated enough into the IS politically that they would defend their new homes. I'd say a second Clan invasion is in a far weaker position than the first one.

A more likely scenario is an invasion *from* the Inner Sphere.

Star Adder, Star Adder, he drives a pitch black Mech
Star Adder, Star Adder, with Heavy Laser tech

(with apologies to Rowan Atkinson)

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2018, 11:22:45 »
They may finally take the evolutionary step (for Clanners) to leave the Inner sphere to their degra fate and build a new interstellar realm and so get rid of any of the old Star League and Inner Sphere restrictions which have kept the Clans stagnated for so long.

Maybe something like the Ousters (of Dan Simmons Hyperion saga), but more militaristic.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2018, 16:40:15 »
We dont know how the homeworlds changed after the WoR. There is lot of time to make some interesting weapon developments, time to breed and train new units, time to rebuild their fleets and whatever the writers need to make an invasion interesting - if that is the plan. But we dont know the plans.
For what we know at the end of the WoR the Star Adders stand as the powerhouse of the remaining clans and have all the opportunities to dictate the next steps.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2018, 18:42:57 »
ilClan is on the way, and it’s been expanded to become a larger event that previously planned. So I think I’ll just remain optimistic. :)
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2018, 09:39:54 »

Like most Homeworlders, the Adders can now be portrayed as rather whacky extremists post-WoR, illogically and ironically buying into the ridiculous Spheroid "Taint" goofiness actually started their defeated Viper enemies.  If modern Adders are not xenophobic Bastions, then they're genocidal Aggressors.  Neither philosophy is particularly well-suited to the practical, level-headed, long-term planners and strategists that the Adders have traditionally been portrayed as.  Change may be a coming...
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 09:48:28 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2018, 11:49:08 »
Like most Homeworlders, the Adders can now be portrayed as rather whacky extremists post-WoR, illogically and ironically buying into the ridiculous Spheroid "Taint" goofiness actually started their defeated Viper enemies.  If modern Adders are not xenophobic Bastions, then they're genocidal Aggressors.  Neither philosophy is particularly well-suited to the practical, level-headed, long-term planners and strategists that the Adders have traditionally been portrayed as.  Change may be a coming...

Could you expand on that, please?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2018, 15:57:55 »
Could you expand on that, please?

The Bastion/Aggressor philosophies have supplanted the old Warden/Crusader political factions within the Home Clans. In a nutshell, Bastions believe in protecting the Clans from the taint of the Inner Sphere, and Aggressors believe in wiping out the taint violently. See the Wars of Reaving Supplemental for more details.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2018, 20:12:33 »
The Bastion/Aggressor philosophies have supplanted the old Warden/Crusader political factions within the Home Clans. In a nutshell, Bastions believe in protecting the Clans from the taint of the Inner Sphere, and Aggressors believe in wiping out the taint violently. See the Wars of Reaving Supplemental for more details.

Maybe it is time for me to order some BT books, quiaff?

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2018, 10:49:27 »

Something more differently.

Both philosophies believe that the Inner Sphere is hopelessly corrupted.

The Bastions want to protect the way of the Clans (and therefore the Homeworlds) with isolation from the Inner Sphere.
They are somewhat Neo-Wardens. However, not to protect the Inner Sphere anymore but the Homeclans.

The Aggressors rather want a preemptive strike against the Inner Sphere and crush any possible threat, that the IS might be for the Homeclans. And this without any limits of Clan-style warfare, meaning Total War.

Long term this could mean that the Homeclans will abandon the revival of the Star League in the Inner Sphere and begin to foorm their own new society, going new ways.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2018, 19:54:22 »
Something more differently.

Both philosophies believe that the Inner Sphere is hopelessly corrupted.

The Bastions want to protect the way of the Clans (and therefore the Homeworlds) with isolation from the Inner Sphere.
They are somewhat Neo-Wardens. However, not to protect the Inner Sphere anymore but the Homeclans.

The Aggressors rather want a preemptive strike against the Inner Sphere and crush any possible threat, that the IS might be for the Homeclans. And this without any limits of Clan-style warfare, meaning Total War.

Long term this could mean that the Homeclans will abandon the revival of the Star League in the Inner Sphere and begin to foorm their own new society, going new ways.

This maybe a gross oversimplification but that sounds like giving the IS a large scale version of what Operation Serpent/Bulldog did to Huntress or a worse version of the Succession Wars.

I am sure a lot of Clanners do not appreciate the fact that some if not most of Vlad Ward's predictions of what would happen with the IS came true. 

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2018, 23:19:23 »
I am sure a lot of Clanners do not appreciate the fact that some if not most of Vlad Ward's predictions of what would happen with the IS came true. 
I'm sure pointing this out to most Clanners would be a good way to get shot in the face. At best.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #26 on: 02 June 2018, 22:11:31 »
The S'adders?  They're just Clan Burrock 2.0.  The Burrocks have infested their ranks and will rise from the ashes...  um...  AGAIN!
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2018, 05:53:21 »
The S'adders?  They're just Clan Burrock 2.0.  The Burrocks have infested their ranks and will rise from the ashes...  um...  AGAIN!
Well their ashes are still high in the sky ...

Vlad and his Wolves did their best to make these predictions happened.

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2018, 14:03:28 »

Heretic
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #29 on: 03 June 2018, 14:35:40 »

I don't know about behind the scenes deals so much as Ulric knew that Revival was not going to be the 1 sided trouncing of the IS that the Jags/Falcons just assumed it would be.  He looked at the Adder Khan knowing that it was a good idea to send them all if they had real hope of actual success in dominating the entire IS.

Interesting thoughts on those clans with a long view v/s a short view & those that just think they have a long view.

Long View Clans ? =  Adders, Sharks, Wolves + Bears?, Coyotes?, Scorpions?

Mid? View Clans = Ravens, Vipers + Cobras?, Spirits?, NovaCats?

Short View Clans ? = Falcons, Hellions, Jaguars, Mandrils + Burrocks?, Horses?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo