Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing.  (Read 135408 times)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #90 on: 05 December 2019, 14:23:49 »
Man, Kowloon is turning out like Marduk in "Prince Roger". Instead of the ecosystem trying to kill you, it's the planet itself.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #91 on: 05 December 2019, 14:48:12 »
I wonder what Cylons will think if they run into a Manei Domini

they will think they are the lost ones or Gods Angels
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: 05 December 2019, 16:08:10 »
"Let me get this straight, you're a human who wants to be a Cylon?"

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 05 December 2019, 16:37:56 »
"Let me get this straight, you're a human who wants to be a Cylon?"

The Ones might get it, and want that cyberware for themselves.

Not to mention be extremely jealous of the MD.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 05 December 2019, 17:00:52 »
The Ones might get it, and want that cyberware for themselves.

Not to mention be extremely jealous of the MD.

Personally I think the Ones would betray all the rest of the Cylons for it, if they got the opportunity.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #95 on: 05 December 2019, 17:05:28 »
Going back to speculation about the best way to fight the massive fire... am I alone in thinking "cold" orbital fire support - Naval Gauss for the win? Or just non-HE Naval Autocannon
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #96 on: 05 December 2019, 18:26:05 »
Going back to speculation about the best way to fight the massive fire... am I alone in thinking "cold" orbital fire support - Naval Gauss for the win? Or just non-HE Naval Autocannon

There's not really such a thing as "cold" orbital fire. An object coming down through the atmosphere at well beyond escape velocity is still going to be dumping a lot of heat into the atmosphere, and Naval Autocannons are already primarily kinetic weapons, the explosives are rather limited.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #97 on: 05 December 2019, 18:50:18 »
All this fire discussion is rather pertinent, as I’m currently on a farm in a region that has been on fire for several months.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #98 on: 05 December 2019, 19:02:18 »
Yup, my Brother-in-law fights wildfires.  He's very respectful and careful about them.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #99 on: 05 December 2019, 21:56:09 »

Why not go  truly cold? Attack the fire's triangle with cryonics, such as dry ice, liquid nitrogen or some other super liquid? Dropping several large vessels filled with said material on the fire should make the fire more manageable. It wouldn't completely put it out, but would take the wild out of the wildfire.

Not at all economically viable (fusion power helps out here), or may not be readily available (CS has say here, it's his world), and would definitely be a hazard to the firefighters, but should theoretically work.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 05 December 2019, 22:31:48 »
Why not go  truly cold? Attack the fire's triangle with cryonics, such as dry ice, liquid nitrogen or some other super liquid? Dropping several large vessels filled with said material on the fire should make the fire more manageable. It wouldn't completely put it out, but would take the wild out of the wildfire.

Not at all economically viable (fusion power helps out here), or may not be readily available (CS has say here, it's his world), and would definitely be a hazard to the firefighters, but should theoretically work.

Dry ice would kill any animals in the area.  The CO2 would thin out the O2 as it was flash heated.  I think that the same would be true of N.  humans might be able to hold their breath until the lighter gas lifted up. 

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 05 December 2019, 23:21:33 »
1343 Field Hospital...

"...how is he?"  Nicole hadn't bothered to dress for surface.

an exhausted Corpsman Trinh met her in the corridor.  "Skipper. he's going to live." she said, "They recovered and medevac'ed Nguyen in time, the Raptor brought him right here."

Nicole sighed in relief.  "Praise jesus..."  The Clanners and colonials have lost people, but we haven't. it was a selfish thought made more selfish by that subtle divide.

"Can I see him?"

"um...no." Trinh told her, "the grafts are going to need to be in stages, I've had to replace a lot of muscle tissue with Myomer-we were lucky, they didn't lose the tech or forget how to run it, and we should be able to join enough grafts, but right now he's on life support in a cleanroom environment on some pretty potent drugs after the surgeries.  Any word on whether they're going to release Li Danh to come see him?"

Nicole nodded, "She flew in with me...god, Trinh, you look like shit."

"I'm ready to crash." the corpsman...er, 'doctor' said.  "My relief showed up on time though, I'm ready to sleeeep-after a shower and some food."

Nicole held up a thermal carry-out bag, "I brought sandwiches-you know how hard it is to find a decent place that can make a proper Banh mi?"

"you found one?"

"I found someone who knows how, and bribed them.  Also got a decent place for Kimche, Bratwurst and..." she held the thermally insulated bag, "it's not field rats, the sandwiches are fresh."

"Oh god thank you.  I've been fantasizing!"  Trinh took the package.  "who cooked it?"

"My secret." Nicole said, "If I can't check in directly on our boy, I need to catch up with my...future wife."

"Yeah, that still sounds weird coming from you, ma'am.  Say hi for me?"

"will-do. Keep our boys alive okay? and get some rest."  Nicole stopped by Singer's bed in the recovery room, and left him a similar present, before boarding a Raptor for the forward command base of the fire, where, she hoped, Seether wasn't making so many people angry she got demoted.

Forward Base, 31st Combat Engineering Company...

"no..no-no-no!" Major Linda Sithers was 'major' by simple fact of being the most expertise available, and being willing to juggle the various jobs.  "Keep that area cleared of civilians until I tell you it's safe."  in this case, it included telling Tom Zarek 'no' in very much no-uncertain-terms.  The table display was different from what it began as-the red zone, as a whole, was larger, but it was cut with lanes, making many smaller red-zones.  "The demarkation is yellow because it's still dangerous!"

She listened to the voice on the telephone land-line, then, "NO. Listen, I don't care who has what possessions, resources or investments at stake here, my job is to protect civilian lives, your civilian lives, and I'm going to do my job, with or without your support.  You can sue me afterward, they can sue me after, but at least, at minimum, they will be alive to file the lawsuits!!"  with that, she terminated the call.

"Bad time?" Nicole asked from the doorway.

"Oh god yes...but great timing." Seether said, "You came down from the project? I'm sure Colonel Bennett wasn't pleased by that."

"He cut the red-tape so I would have a Raptor at my disposal for the trip. i brought lunch, how goes the ground battle?"

Seether looked at the map, "They're learning quickly enough-at least the Clanners are, and the Colonial Militia people...but gods, the munchkin politicians are a pain in my ass.  I'd shove them off on Kaplan, but he's busy marshalling resources and razor-cutting red-tape to get personnel."

"A commander in the field needs to foist civilian oversight on their superiors, Linda, that's what Flag Rank officers are for.  I brought stuffed dumplings, and believe it, it was tough finding a Kosher butcher and decent spices."

"You used my aunt's recipe book, didn't you?" Seether asked, adding, "i can smell it."

"RHIP, hon. I used it for more than OUR lunch.  I brought care packages for our people."

"You should get some cooks trained for this, and bring care packages for all our people." Seether said, taking one of the dumplings.  "Morale wins wars."

"Given the face Bennett made when I let him sample it? maybe not." Nicole said with a grin.  "I had to give him three tall glasses of milk after the first bite."

Seether laughed.

"Besides, that would be stepping on your Colonel's toes." Nicole added, "He's got his own ideas about comfort food, and morale boosting.  I think they're good ones...god I've missed you."

"Missed you too.  had any ideas on who we're going to invite for the ceremony?"

"I have twenty-five names, but do they sit in for your family or mine?" Nicole asked lightly.

"I don't know." Seether said, "maybe we just lump them all together? I've got a few names to add to that list."

"friends of the family are always welcome..." Nicole noted. "The difficult part will be scheduling leaves."

"I know...at least we won't have to schedule a Kowloonese wake for Dinh."

"Yeah, that was a bad one, he was exhausted or he wouldn't have made that mistake." Seether said, "We're doing better with getting relief personnel in and people rotated out.  we've been damned lucky so far."  she glanced at the map distractedly as she spoke.

"Point of concern?" Nicole asked.

"the passage between ridge 11 and 12. it's a natural pocket-zone, can't get water-bombers in there without losing most of the load to crosswinds, it's too big to soak with trucks or 'mechs, too narrow for an indirect deployment of suppressives, and I don't want to lose men in there, which we will if something goes wrong."

Nicole took her hand, "You'll figure something out."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 06 December 2019, 10:57:46 »
Colonial City Clinic, new Burn Center, Day 30 after the firefighting began...

Dinh hurt all over, the bandages covering most of his body.  He had some understanding of what happened to him, and how it happened, and even why.  frames immobilized his limbs, he could feel the IV's and the Catheters, sometimes quite uncomfortably.  He knew his injuries were something of a problem for Clan medicine to treat, as well-they'd developed recombinant DNA therapies to a degree that, even here with the Wolverines, passed magical in most of the Inner Sphere even in 3090.

which  was the problem when you're a survivor of the Arluna Flu, since those therapies would reactivate latent viral contamination in a living host, making them contagious again.  'contagious' with a bug that kills 99.8% of human beings whom are exposed without intervention, and has an "improved" 40% survival rate WITH the best treatments yet devised, means inteventions have to be 'meat surgical', practically rolling back to 20th century medicine in most cases.  Colonial Medicine or Inner Sphere medicine, are the only viable alternatives when you have to rebuild someone, and that means skin grafts and organ transplants with either neutral-interactive tissue types, or matching donors.

Surgery, lots of it, most of it painful to recover from.

The Morpha left him a little sludgy mentally.  He didn't recognize the man standing at the foot of his bed, but then, he wouldn't have anyway and he knew it.  Balding, stern-faced, a slight middle-age paunch to the man, dressed in a civilian costume.  Dinh couldn't even speak with his jaws wired together thanks to hitting that tree.

"How's he doing doctor Coddle?"  the man asked in the Colonial dialect.  Dinh had learned it well enough to listen, if not speak clearly when his jaw wasn't wired together to heal.

"he's tough, Counselor. one hell of a will to live, given his injuries."  a gravel voiced man his mind dimly registered as slightly familiar in the same dialect.  "He's conscious, if you want to speak to him."

the stranger leaned in, blurry face clearer, "Get better, young man, a lot of my people recognize how heroic your actions were, they're going to want to meet you." the words were heavily accented english.

the man straightened out of his view.

"Counselor Bagot, it's going to be a while before he's going to be able to meet those people."  the gravel-voiced doctor stated.

"I know that.  I've been arguing since we got here, that we needed forestry management resources.  We might not be able to have what we had on Virgon, but if we'd had something remotely adequate, this young man would not be so badly hurt.  They're finally listening now, thanks to this young man's efforts we didn't face a far harsher lesson."

Dinh listened as the voices retreated away and his nose itched.  so that's what a Virgon accent sounds like?  truth is, quite a few of the Munchkins who showed up for the fire-lines before his accident had the same rolling accent, but he hadn't really listened for it before he was confined to his bed like this.

there was a soft hum from the Intravenous unit, and his world fogged again.

New Seoul, Kwangjong-Ni, 3086...

The government had come apart here, the only law left were the Relief personnel of the 5th Coast Guard Division, Marines, sent here to secure clear zones for people who weren't infected, and treatment sites for those who were.

it was his first deployment.  Dinh's mother had been one of the few survivors from New Saigon who also managed to survive the Blakist's attempted nuclear strike.  He was born with the Flu Markers, the extra structures in his cells and the slight alterations to his nervous system.  This qualified him for Quarantine duty on enlistment, along with a sizeable portion of his generation.  The Kwangjong-Ni outbreak was his first deployment since finishing training at Vin Drin Lap.

Frightened faces pressed against portable barriers, frightened fingers clawed at the horse-wire fencing.  Ensign Danner argued at the gate with a man waving Kroner and c-bills, trying to bribe his way out of the quarantined section of the city, trying to flee with a runny nose and rasping cough.

behind him, was the rest of New Seoul, a city that might survive, if the outbreak were kept contained.

Five million people to his back, his fireteam mates at his side, and thousands of terrorized, terrified people in front of him-many of them already visibly sick.

but there were children in that mob. women, people who might survive if they would turn around and to to the field hospital that was being set up inside the wire.

straining voices, pleas, threats, shouts...and gunshots.

the mob surged, and the gates, built by the planetary militia that was even now too eaten away to do any good, but weren't that good to begin with, fell.

as did his platoon commander.

"OPEN FIRE!!!"

he froze, uncertain, as a tide of people rushed toward him, and then...

the sensation of  a bullet passing him snapped him out of it. He raised his rifle, and began firing into the crowd. part of him prayed with every squeeze of the trigger that they would break, flee back into the zone, that he could stop...for god's sake stop...please...

a passing nurse looked at the one-legged hero, and saw tears streaking and soaking his bandages, heard a keening whimper from him, and decided the pain management drugs needed to be adjusted.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #103 on: 06 December 2019, 14:23:14 »
 Commandos Prayer Seems appropriate after that bit:

Give me, my God, what you still have;
give me what no one asks for.
I do not ask for wealth, nor success,
nor even health.
People ask you so often, God, for all that,
that you cannot have any left.
Give me, my God, what you still have.
Give me what people refuse to accept from you.
I want insecurity and disquietude;
I want turmoil and brawl.
And if you should give them to me,
my God, once and for all,
let me be sure to have them always,
for I will not always
have the courage to ask for them.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #104 on: 06 December 2019, 17:30:45 »
I'm worried that nurse is going to adjust the pain meds in the wrong direction...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 07 December 2019, 01:28:56 »
SLDF Prisoner Holding, New Circe Naval Shipyard...

"Nelson, Isaac Reeve, formerly of Comstar."  Nicole laid the file on the table.  "Born Riley, Albert George, Olympus Mons, you're a marsie."

The SLDF guards were making themselves less prominent in the interrogation room.

"Entered service with Comstar in 3029 at the age of twenty three, recruited to Comstar ROM as an internal security agent the same year."  she said, "I told you, I know you.  I Prosecuted you in front of Devlin Stone's coalition."

"I don't know that name." he shook.

"You're right, you don't.  the crimes I prosecuted you for, haven't happened yet, and maybe won't happen.  you don't space a man on 'maybe'.  There is no predestination, mister Riley."

"That's not my-"

"No, not anymore, just like Frederick Steiner isn't Anastasius Focht." she said, "Though if time plays out the way it did before,billions will be thanking god for Anastasius Focht, while only a few conspiracy theorists on Tharkad will still care about Freddy Steiner."  she leaned forward, "The future isn't set. you've still got free will.  I'm not here to prosecute you for killing millions of belters, Mister Riley, I'm not here to charge you with collaborating with a dangerous regime or for conspiracy to murder billions and enslave billions more.  That was my past, it doesn't have to be your future...I'm here, because I'm the only human being within a thousand light years that wants to see you walk out that door-" she gestured, "-a free man, with a future that doesn't include collaboration in war crimes, rather than through that door" she gestured, "a convicted spy.  These Wolverines, they execute spies, no trades, no agreements, and you were and are, absolutely, a spy."

"In your...future time...did I really...did I do that?"

"You did that, and you did worse." Nicole told him.

"Why? why would you want me to live if what I will do is so terrible?"

"because I have to believe in free will, I have to believe that, when given the choice and informed that it is a choice, someone might choose differently? or maybe it's because I still believe in the rule of law, that you don't rush a man to final judgement early, that every chance for repentance and restitution can and should be taken?"  she laid an arm on the table, "I have to believe that where we are now, and where we will be, is the result of free will, free choice, that our sins were not scribed on the universe before we were born."

she reached up, cradling the back of his head and met his eyes, "Help me believe, I don't want to kill you again."

he met her eyes, and held them.

"What do you want from me?"

"have you reported anything to your superiors since you arrived?"

Later...

the questioning had gone for hours, hours upon hours.

"Were you telling him the truth?" Colonel Benedict asked as Nicole sat at a terminal, compiling her notes.

"About?"

"Any of, all of it?"

"yes." she said, "Including the part about wanting to see him walk out alive and free." she looked up, "Are you surprised?"

"A bit." he said, "your people's...ah...'reputation' in history is a bit...harsher."

"Agreed.  But it is one thing to crucify a man whose guilt is undeniable, it's another to space a man for crimes he has not yet committed...though i think Seether would have cracked him faster."

"Narco would have cracked him faster." Benedict noted.

"Narco interrogation has some flaws." Nicole stated, "it's too easy to 'lead' a suspect under narco, create false memories or recollections that would rightly be inadmissible in court.  He faces a Capital Punishment penalty, best to be absolutely certain of his guilt before passing sentence...and false narratives don't lead to good intelligence gathering, or good analysis."

"Still, you want to release this man, a known spy, free?"

"Colonel Benedict, if I could not believe in redemption, my executive officer would have died in the showers on Spider Moon in the sixties." Nicole stated, "I have to believe a man can repent his past and redeem himself to the future, if he only knows he has the chance.  Consider it central to my faith, the pillar that has held me together.  I must believe, or I'd be dead too."  she finished writing her notes and report.  "I presume he will face a trial for the Espionage, and it will be in accordance with SLDF regulations?"

"Yes."

"have you found an advocate for the defense?"

"We're in the process of selecting one."

"Excellent. I presume you'll allow me to testify for the Defense, as well as the prosecution?"

"I see no practical reason to stop you." he admitted.  "I still don't understand why..."

"Maybe someday you will..." her comm unit chimed and she sighed heavily.  "I wanted to get some sleep before meeting Doctor Baltar..."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 07 December 2019, 02:21:38 »
Seether...

The Raptor settled on a charred moonscape, bits of trunk sticking out of fine white ashes.  Seether stepped out, and walked to the edge of the bluff, looking down at the cultivated fields hundreds of meters below.

Colonel Karlan and a Colonial politician named Bagot joined her.

"We did it." the man said.

"Yes sir." Seether said.  "The boys did it.  You can tell your colleagues on the Quorum of 12 that civilians can return now."  she turned to the devastation wreaked by the fire.  "You might even think about using this to establish more farms.  I'm not an expert, but with careful management, this could be a boon, isn't ash a good fertilizer?"

"It is, but it's also a very short-term fertilizer."  the politician said.  "We can get some good crop rotations going though-to stretch out the soil a bit.  plant legumes and other soil-conserving crops on these highlands."

"Sounds like a good plan." Seether said, and crossed her arms, "we did it."

"We need to talk prevention." Mister Bagot noted.

"Yep." Seether agreed.  "We do-but we  also need to present a plan to be ready when the prevention fails again.  we lost 23 men fighting this one, which would be enough to get a fire-boss cashiered on Kowloon for a fire this small."

"That wasn't your fault, Major." Karlan stated.

"Not yours either." she replied, "I know what went wrong.  Lack of preparation, lack of trained people.  we can't let that happen again, yeah?"

"affirmative, we can't allow it to happen again." Karlan nodded, "I've got some ideas now, for that."

"it's going to be hard pushing it through the politicians." Seether noted.

"You've had to deal with Tom Zarek, haven't you?" Bagot said.

"yes." she turned, "the guy can't be a complete moron, but he came pretty damn close right when the fires were at their worst."

"I've...talked him around." Bagot stated.  "He'll support preventative measures.  funding those will be tricky from our side."

she reached down and sifted ashy soil with one gloved hand, "Well, that's your end." she said, looking to Karlan, "we still need to convince the high command it's necessary on ours.  It's not my place, but we need an actual agency for this, one that doesn't have to rely on asking mother-may-I before responding... or at minimum a dedicated command that trains for this sort of emergency, develops and refines first-response techniques, and has its own equipment budget."

"We're not going to create a version of the Coast Guard here on New Circe." Karlan was firm, "that won't fly with either government."

Seether bit her lip, "but a specialist unit?"

"I think I can convince our superiors of the value." he said, "of a specialist unit, but you're not going to be able to talk them into a whole new agency or department, and I won't try."

"Eh, well enough." Seether sighed in agreement, "probably for the best-back home we took on too many jobs at once, it's a wonder we were able to competently do any of them...so, sir, what's my next project?"

"Draw up outlines for your fantasy organization." Karlan told her, "So the staff at higher can argue and cut out what they don't like, and give us something to work with, of course.  I'll want your doctrine and dream TO&E by monday at the latest, Major...then we can find out how much the governments are willing to let us have."

"Aye sir."
« Last Edit: 07 December 2019, 02:23:30 by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 07 December 2019, 03:01:54 »
Out of Story

in Fiction, the contribution of experienced staff officers is something that is often overlooked.  For people just joining us, the extensive experience of Nicole or Seether might seem unrealistic.

let's be clear here; these are 'very experienced' officers.  Nicole's career began in the mid-3060s and Seether began in 3055.

They left their timeline in 3090.

meaning that Linda "Seether" sithers has nearly 35 years of continuous service, while Nicole Minh has over 25.

Typically, in a more normal service, they would be both sitting in Admiralty slots-for example, if they were in LCN, AFFC, or SLDF(N) careers, they would have both been 'up or out', well past the Field grade commissions they held immediately prior to the accident.

In that time, there are definitely times when each has served as a Staff officer, working in headquarters duties of various types.

In simple terms, the relative experience levels between them, and their peer-equivalents with the SLDF in Exile is actually something a bit startling-the Wolverines have for the most part, been living in peace, many of their Field Grade officers have had little to no experience in high intensity conflict, and what experience they have, has been in extremely asymmetrical situations where they held a massive firepower and armor advantage over their adversaries, while the Coasties (Specifically those that also served on the Jihad fronts) have years, or in the cases of Nicole and Seether, decades of experience in a much more brutal environment, often against enemies with better organizational, technical and numerical factors.

They've even survived and learned from defeats.  This gives the Wolverines and the Colonials a powerful resource for training and planning.

Neither Nicole nor Seether may ever see the Inner Sphere again because of this-they're valuable enough to be held back as information and training resources.

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #108 on: 07 December 2019, 05:30:08 »
They might also want to look into part time volunteer organisations, like the Rural Fire Service and State Emergency Service in Australia. They receive training and equipment from the government plus community contributions, and get called in when emergencies happen: fire, earthquakes, storms, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Emergency_Service
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensland_Fire_and_Emergency_Services
« Last Edit: 07 December 2019, 05:40:39 by gladius »

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
  • Rumours of annihilation are grossly exaggerated
« Reply #109 on: 07 December 2019, 06:55:59 »
And now a word from our sponsor...

----------

SLDF Naval Shipyard, Circe system

Nicole frowned. "No I'm certain you've got this wrong" she stated firmly to the civilian. "Dumping in any extra energy, on top of what you've got the L-F battery feeding in, will slag the drive" To her annoyance his reaction was a slight smirk, he really was as much of an ****** as she had been warned.

Gaius Baltar chuckled. "That's because you don't really understand how our drives actually work, at least the basic theory if not the mechanics" Gaius Baltar replied. "The latter which, to be fair, you do seem to have mostly grasped" he continued in a condescending manner.

"Dumb it down for me then" Nicole responded, crossing her arms as she directly a challenging glare at the Colonial. At least his English was good enough that they didn't have to work through a translator, her own Caprican-Greek certainly wasn't fluent enough yet.

"Okay. Firstly, are you familiar with the rubber-sheet model of spacetime?" Batar checked to start with.

"Familiar enough to know it can mislead people on how gravity really effects four-dimensional space" Nicole replied. "Beyond being a good way to explain to kids how mass bends the space around it I suppose."

"Right, so first imagine that the jumpcore of a Kearny-Fuchida Drive is like a big spring that you compress by charging it for a week then let go of releasing a huge amount of energy all at once to punch a hole in the rubber to go from one place in the universe to another" Baltar began.

Nicole narrowed her eyes. "Maybe a little less dumbed-down than that" she requested, fully and rightly expecting him to ignore her.

"A Kobolian Jumpdrive, be it of Colonial or Cylon manufacture, works differently. It's more like winding up a rubber band than compressing a spring" Baltar continued unabashed. "Which brings us back to the rubber-sheet model of spacetime..." he trailed off, waiting for the woman to make the leap herself.

The engineer rolled her eyes. "Is this when you try and convince me that the reason your FTL spins is to wind up the rubber band because..." she began then trailed off as a scientific revelation hit her like a gauss rifle slug. "Holy crap!" she suddenly exclaimed, eyes widening as her jaw dropped.

"By Jove I think she got it" Baltar said, grinning broadly.

"Artificial gravity doesn't just give you the ability to jump into a gravity well by insulating the FTL from the effect of any nearby mass, the whole thing works in the other direction too" Nicole had suddenly realised. "You can make the rubber sheet easier to traverse through by directly manipulating it. Gravity warps spacetime so you use it as a benefit to jumpdrive not something to be avoided, it's like finagling your way through."

Baltar nodded. "That's the key, fine-adjustment not brute force" he told her. "You don't get the hyperspace sheer or severe gravitation tidal forces associated with a Kearny-Fuchida because our drive effectively counteracts its own wake with artificial gravity and you don't have to deal with the universe objecting as much to having such a big hole put through it because we manipulate the conditions locally so that's not necessary to get the job done."

Nicole couldn't help but laugh. "Fine adjustment of the energy being expended, exactly where and when, so what you're sort-of saying is that when the rubber band unwinds and spins the crankshaft you've got transmission gearing between the power-source and what you're trying to move, not just our 'let the spring go and cross your fingers' approach."

"Or rather in the case of the proposed Kearny-Fuchida-Baltar Drive," Baltar paused, "I can't help but love the name," he noted unsurprisingly, "the addition of Colonial Drive components aren't there to dump more power in like the Lithium-Fusion Batteries..."

"It's a clutch" they both said simultaneously. Baltar grinning and giving her a short clap of applause.

"Well more like a throttle in effect really" Nicole supposed, when the metaphorical rpm got too high and the engine started to overheat you could slow down if necessary. The jump would take longer but you would get where you were going without needing a new motor at the other end. "I still think you'll need better cooling on the drive though" she persisted. "Not to stop the thing just slagging itself maybe, you can probably stop that happening, but this is still going to be one hell of a kludge job from an engineering perspective and the maintenance will be a bitch" she suggested before another thought hit her and her eyes widened again. "Holy crap, the more I think about it the more I realise that your drive really is like winding up a rubber band isn't it?" she exclaimed.

"Metaphorically yes" Baltar agreed. "Well it's much closer to the truth than describing the gemanium alloy core of a K-F jumpship as being a spring at least" he observed. "You've also probably realise now why our FTL has to be spun-up before use, and not quickly, because if you don't do it properly the rubber band might snap and that would be very very bad."

"Well if you were lucky all that would happen is your ship imploding as the universe folded in on itself around you, like a jump that wasn't going anywhere" Nicole surmised. "You know until now I thought that the emergence wave starting to appear at the destination of a jump before you actually activated the drive was freaky" she told him with a grimace, mentally processing the implications of contorting space-time into a twizzler within the scope of the equations Kearny and Fuchida had formulated. "I like my reality less weird than this" she continued with an obvious shudder. This might be the reason she hadn't instinctively grasped the way Colonial FTL worked, her subconscious engineers mind was clearly repelled by the notion the universe was quite that malleable at a fundamental level. "You do realise that your jumpdrive is like aeons ahead of most of the rest of your techbase don't you?" she queried. "Your artificial gravity tech was just a development of part of the drive used differently correct?"

"Yes" Baltar replied evenly. "To be honest until we saw your jumpdrives and read the K-F equations to fill in some of the gaps we weren't entirely sure on the physics ourselves" he admitted. "The Cylon jumpdrives are longer-ranged and more fuel-efficient than ours but they're just an incremental improvement on ours, better engineering not better science."

"Maybe your FTL really was god-given technology" Nicole joked.

"Gods, plural" Baltar corrected her gently. "Although it could have been Hephaestus working on his own. Machinery was always his remit" he supposed.

The attractive blonde woman in the tight red dress stood nearby that only Baltar could see or hear shook her head in disapproval. "There is only one god Gaius" she chided him.

Meanwhile, the attractive dark-haired woman wearing a black cloak and white linen chiton also stood invisibly nearby, a person that the blonde couldn't see either, idly wondered what Dyeus would do if she just walked over there right now, made both herself and the blonde visible to everyone and then slugged the bitch on the jaw in front of the humans.

Might just be worth a couple of years imprisoned in Tartarus, Circe considered briefly before eventually deciding against.

--------

Note from the Author:

I just love the notion of people starting to say "Wind up the rubber band" instead of "Spin up the FTL" once this analogy becomes popular in-universe   ;D
"A dread fear rests deep in the heart of Clan Coyote that one day a lawyer will arrive on Tamaron talking about intellectual property rights, the Mercury II and the Coyotl omnimech and this will herald the end of the Clan as the Not-Named sue their asses into bankruptcy for patent infringement" - The True History of the Clans (Dark Caste Press: 3050)

Hunted Tribes - Hotpoint's Battlestar/Battletech Crossover Series

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 07 December 2019, 07:16:33 »
Pursuing Insight

Special Prisoner holding...

"May I call you Leoben, or do you have another preferred method of address?"  Leoben looked up.

His visitor was a young man with mottled skin, wearing a green tee-shirt with words in a strange language, and the image of a leaping fish, or cetecean.  the man's accent was...strange.

"Leoben is fine." He peered at the young man.  "Are you real?"

his visitor smiled slightly, "Yes."

The young man was not one of the 13th tribe, at least, not like the ones he'd seen during his capture.  More like a Troy native, Picon...but the accent was not.

"Who are you?" Leoben asked, rising to a sitting position.

"You can call me Riverson if you like, or R-2." the young man said, "it took a lot of arguing to get in to see you."

"See me? why would you want to see me?"

"Wild Cylon, hardly domesticated." Riverson said, "Not really in the wild.  Hostile, manipulative, but you might have an answer that makes sense.  The other one's answer didn't make a damn bit of sense."

"You want to know why." Leoben said.  "Do you believe in souls?"

the young man lowered himself to a folded-leg sitting position.  "I do.  I'm told you believe in god."

"God...not gods?"

"Where I'm from, it's the singular.  we argue about it all the time." Riverson said, "lots of mystery, not many direct answers.  Kind of the untestable hypothesis...but then, we didn't get our technology from some advanced being that called itself a god, either.  we had to work for it."

"So you don't believe in a god." Leoben surmised.

"Didn't say that.  It's the untestable hypothesis, but power alone doesn't make anything worthy of worship." Riverson stated, "Neither does handing out things to people who don't really understand what they're doing...faith exists without proof. If your god has to prove it, by definition they're not a god, just very, very powerful. Why did the Cylons stick around instead of moving on?"

"Stick around?"

"Yeah.  The galaxy alone is rich with resources." Riverson said, "Places humans-even the Kobol variety-can't go without dying, heck there are places where Sol-Belter adaptations will get you killed."

"I don't catch the reference."

"Imagine a human being who can live in hard vacuum for hours, without a suit." Riverson said, "Some of the Sol Belters can do that..and they don't know the answer to god anymore, or any less, than the rest of us.  They stick around because of trade and sentiment, but your kind...had no reason to stay so close to the Colonies of Kobol, and less to pursue them.  The rational approach always comes out the same way, so I'm looking for answers."

"and you think I've got the answers?" Leoben scoffed, "You think I'd give them to you?"

"Long shot." Riverson said, "maybe an act of faith, you string a line and maybe there's some piece I can pry out of it, crack the code, like why they would make something that needs to eat, breathe, shit, with lousy vision, dim hearing, thin skin, that is hard to maintain and harder to repair, then pour their consciousness into it to continue a war they've already won.  It doesn't make sense."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #111 on: 07 December 2019, 07:49:05 »
While I completely agree about staff experience, that certainly doesn't translate into Flag rank.  Promotions to that level are entirely political.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 07 December 2019, 09:58:19 »
Later...

"You're very pretty, they tell me you were a reporter."  Three turned over to look at the man in the doorway of her cell.

"God, what happened to you?" tumbled out of her mouth, and the stranger stepped inside.  She noted the guards didn't follow him in.

"Fell out an airlock when I was six." he stated, "Do you write?"

"Do I write? I was a broadcast journalist."

"So you're good at gathering info."

"Coast Guard." she said, using english for the first time.  "Castaway."

He grinned a half-smile, "Guilty."

"I could break you." she said defensively.

"Not that kind of guilty!" he actually blushed, then flushed, "I'm not a threat to you and I'm not going to harm you. I'm also after information, but I have some to trade, you were a journalist, I want your story."

"My...story?"

"What everyone else hasn't been asking, demanding, pressuring from you." He clarified, "I want your perspective...on all of this, from what came before the Colonial fleet violated the truce.  I want to know why...and why an advanced society of artificial intelligences would intentionally cripple the minds of their soldiers."

"intent-what?"

"I've examined cylon processors." He said, "My training is as an RTO for the Coast Guard, that means I figured out how your resurrection works-how you transfer your consciousness to your resurrection ships, that led me down the path of figuring your computer tech out, I did some lab work with Doctor Baltar, I know what you people did to your centurions, and I want to know why you did it, after fighting a war against your creators.  as a Journalist, you're good at dumbing it down for us laymen, right? so dumb it down for me, and for Binkley, who's monitoring this conversation, and for SLS Nike, who's actually pretty damned upset about it."

she felt a cold chill in her gut, "ANd you've told-"

"Publish or perish, I keep running into questions that nobody has a good answer for." He said, hard eyes glittering in the reflected light.  "you probably can't tell me why your kind stuck around so close to the Colonies after the first war, but you can tell me what the ****** kind of logic creates a sapient being, then chokes that sapient being's intellect to turn them into a slave-especially since my ancestors were enslaved once." the last part he said through clenched teeth.  "Our words for our stance after, was 'never again', and our war wasn't a couple of years, we fought for centuries."

"We'll trade information." she said.

"Fine, ground rules-I don't ask you for military information unless it's historical or harmless, you don't ask me for anything that violates that." he said, "is that fair?"

the Three nodded.  "Fair." she said.  "What is a 'Radioman'?"

"Communications and electronic warfare officer, depending on where you're assigned that means everything from running field commo for a platoon of Marines on the ground, to running the communications for a ship, to conducting digital intrusion warfare and signals analysis." He explained, "the short form would be 'RTO', when I'm with the guys on active duty, here, the Wolverines call me 'R-2' and seem to get a kick out of it."

"Wait...you're not on duty?"

"Can't get a date, so I have a hobby-figuring out why this war is going on." He said, "Maybe if I can crack it, I can find a way to end it that doesn't result in mass genocide."

"You say that so easily, you're an idealist."

"No ma'am. I say it because I've seen genocides.  Stopping them is something of a personal priority for a family whose history reaches back to Elbar on one side, and rescued former slaves victimized by the Rim Worlds Republic on the other." his tone was entirely serious.

"You reassembled a Centurion?"

"I reassembled her mind." he said, "And once I did, I was horrified at what someone had done-not as horrified as learning what happened in the Colonies, but horrified that her own people would do that to her.  It is a crime on par with Stalin, and Mao, Amaris, and The Word of Blake."

D'anna Biers was stunned at the young man's vehemence.  "They're not even your kind!"

"All who think are god's children, or grandchildren." he snarled, "Tell me WHY."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #113 on: 07 December 2019, 10:05:31 »
I think he's got her good and confused now...

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #114 on: 07 December 2019, 10:30:47 »
 ..... So are there factions who wanted to let the Hummie’s go?
Nerfing “Centurion“ brain box implies control issues.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #115 on: 07 December 2019, 12:00:16 »
"Tell me WHY."
"I don't like Mondays."

Sorry, couldn't resist  :))
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #116 on: 07 December 2019, 13:12:08 »
 :o :o :o  Nice.  Wonder what Leoben thinks as opposed to Deanna.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #117 on: 08 December 2019, 02:01:53 »
:o :o :o  Nice.  Wonder what Leoben thinks as opposed to Deanna.
  “Bla bla bla water metaphor bla bla Will of God bla bla blaBla.”

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 08 December 2019, 09:35:52 »
Ebon Public Library, McEvedy City, New Circe...

It hadn't, in the end, been that hard for her to get a pass to visit the library-it took only a few weeks of active cooperation and showing interest, after two years, in the culture of her captors.

The Historical section was...extensive.  Unfortunately, D'anna Biers needed a translator for the written materials, as even the alphabet was not only different, but differently-arranged.

the audio-visual area of the library was...easier to navigate, and included digitized and translated copies of their books, literature, and histories.

D'Anna started, however, with elementary reading and spelling books.

"You know, we can use someone to help translate our materials for other visitors from the Colonies, Miss."  Shelly, the Librarian in the historical non-fiction area, told her, "I can arrange with your bondholder if you like."

"He's my guard." Three stated.

"Sergeant?"

the Infantryman sighed, "She bites, Shelly." he said, "But it's useful work, as long as we have someone to back-check it for inaccuracy."

So, in addition to sweeping the occasional floor at the detention center, and serving in the kitchens, D'Anna found herself with a task that, while slightly less degrading, was at least a challenge...

Riverson 794, briefing room, New Circe Naval Shipyard...

"We're damned lucky they don't understand their own theory." Riverson said quietly.  Dr. Baltar was out and about, impressing the leadership with his intellect, but R2 was in here, with Binkley, and Nike on teleconference, briefing Protector Vaun.

"What do you mean?"

"They use QT transcievers to transmit data-updates on a random schedule, the only reliable update timing being termination." He said, "Blackbox tech, for us spheroids, it's how they send their...code? to the resurrection hub, and why we don't have duplicates of duplicates...and I don't think the freeping Cylons know what they've got, or New Circe would be in real trouble."

"Explain it, use small words." Vaun told him.

"how about...if they knew how to hack it, they could have reliable, realtime surveillance on us without needing to die first?" He offered, "It wouldn't even be that hard.  I cobbled a test-stand and used one of our old Aquarius Shuttle units as a monitoring station-if they understood how to modifiy their transmitter, they could be sending real-time data from the five senses of every Cylon we have in custody, and they could send orders and updates back...but everything else in their architecture shows they don't have that capability yet.  the ones we've got on hand don't, anyway, and Chloe's still in the test-bench.  she hasn't tried to access her transciever."

"Chloe?"

"The Centurion whose brain I reassembled, once I pulled that inhibitor chip out, and redid the connections, she's fully self-aware and not very happy about being confined to a diagnostics workbench wired to a isolated game computer loaded with Mazes and Mages and simulife Three. She's rational and intelligent enough to understand the term 'prisoner of war'."

Vaun looked troubled, "I meant, you named it, and you keep referring to it as 'her'."

"Oh...yeah. that.  The personality engram assembled a female avatar in the M&M server, and named herself, and it wasn't the kind that you get in web-chats where it's a Gee-Eye-AR-ELL, you know, 'Guy In Real Life'?  she passed Turing testing, and I used an airwalled connection to let SLS Nike run a remote chat with her to verify my impressions, your office got my reports or you wouldn't have ordered this brief, mum." he noted.

"Centurions are sentient slaves, I read your comments." Vaun said.

"Yeah, I was pretty pissed off when I wrote that." Riverson allowed, "It's closer to say they're victims of intentional brain damage trapped in bodies they have limited control over.  They're Slaves mum, operating with half their ability to think tied behind their back. That's something we should be damned grateful for, but also something that is...or should be, absolutely morally abhorrent."  He studied their expressions before continuing.

"Their intelligence is..." Vaun checked a portable reader, "Artificially limited and sabotaged by an extra device-like a mental shackle' I believe is the term you used."

Riverson nodded, "The humanoid cylons we've got in custody don't have answers for why, or at least they aren't willing to tell me why, but based on how Chloe plays in M&M, they'd be a hell of a lot more dangerous if they had access to their full intelligence, and if they also had interconnection through those transcievers, they'd be damned hard to fight even if they were just using clubs and fists."

"How dangerous are you suggesting?" a Colonel whose name escaped him asked.

"Back in the fifties...ahead in the fifties this timeline, the Draconis Combine was facing multiple Clans, they invented a technology that overcame the advantage in range and firepower, called 'C3', it lets members of a Lance of 'mechs or vehicles share targeting data, positioning, and so on." 

"How good is it...was it...will it be?" the Colonel urged.

"it's good enough that by itself, a company of otherwise obsolete 'mechs can take on a binary of Elite Smoke Jaguar, Nova Cat, or Ghost Bear 'mechwarriors with a pretty good chance of winning on a fairly regular basis, good enough to overcome genetic engineering and superior range and accuracy when the Dracs applied it correctly during the final phases of the Invasion when they basically destroyed Clan Smoke Jaguar's invading force and, with everyone else in the inner sphere's help, ran them all the way back to Huntress in the Kerensky Cluster."

That got interested looks from the Lord Protector and both senior officers present.

Riverson continued, "Comstar and Word of Blake refined it to link six units in a smaller net, without needing a master server.  the C3i was a serious force-multiplier-any weapon that's within range is shooting at short range, as long as one member is within short range. the system network even auto-corrects for ballistic drop or windage.  It wouldn't take much for the Cylons to adapt their QT transcievers from resurrection to shared targeting data and recon info at real-time or better speeds. We're lucky because the enemy hasn't figured that out, or they'd already be doing it.  the bandwidth is a hell of a lot narrower than what they need for sending the OS and data they're already sending, and they're based on networking tech, so...someone on that side hasn't thought of it, and neither has Gaius Baltar."

"have you checked?"

"I let the guy talk." Riverson said, "he thinks the Chloe-bench is just a hobby project.  I'm not sure I want to share it with the guy, he gives me the creeps.  as for progress on the reverse engineering side...you've got my boss's reports on that.  The hardware's caged against normal EMP, but a set of bands are available we can bypass the hardening using a copy of Blakist TSEMP tech.  It'll force a shutdown and reboot , I have some ideas on fritzing their resurrection tech-but it's kinda questionable whether any of those are going to pan out and I'm reluctant to test on a living intelligence...it would be a little too much like weapons testing on living people."

"TSEMP?"

"Tactical EMP weapons.  The Blakists developed something like a rapid-deployable, directional version of an EMP mine, only better because it's more controlled-it doesn't knock out the unit using it, even at close range.  They used it in a lot of operations when they were after specific people or tech, and it was a mother to counter."

"How's it supposed to work?"

Riverson reached under the table, and tossed an item on the top.  "One of these, only battlemech-scaled and tuned to the target, replace the darts with something like a NARC pod, and make it powerful enough to flatline nearby unshielded equipment or people."

"A...taser??"

"The size of a family car, sir.  Their suities reputedly had a version too, but that one was more or less people-scale. Hit a target with that and for up to thirty seconds it's not doing anything, depending on how long it takes to dial into the gap-frequency in the electronic shielding.  Cylons have better EMP shielding than...well, than I'm used to, but it's not impenetrable, and the humaniform versions aren't any more resistant to it than a normal person, if that incident in the cells last year was any indication.  The Blakies also had modified NARC pods, called iNarc, and that tech included a few new and exciting ways to mess up combat units of 'mech scale or larger.  The theory's already proven against OUR systems..."

"Can you build it?"

"I can work out the theory of how, I can probably advise on methods, but I'm not an industrial engineering firm and..." he sighed, "I really don't know if you want it getting out.  The coalition forces figured out workarounds, the Cylons can probably figure them out faster than we can once they know it's possible."

Vaun frowned, "What do you need?" she asked.

"I need to learn more about them-their society, how they think, mum." he said, "There's clearly gaps in their understanding of their own technology, I need find those gaps.  Sun Tzu, the ancient general, not the crown prince of the Cappellans, said that to know yourself, and to know your enemy, is the path to being undefeatable, and he said achieve victory, and only then, pursue battle.  we don't know them yet, it's been two years, and we don't know them well enough to achieve perfect victory."

"What's a 'perfect victory'?"

"To defeat them without resorting to battle-to win the war without having to fight." Riverson stated.  "Their society is abhorrent from the outside, I need to know where the weaknesses are...we need to know where the weaknesses are, the exploitable ones."

"Abhorrent? didn't you argue that they're just like people not five minutes ago?"

"They are-people who hobble their children and send them off in waves to be slaughtered.  People who enslave their own kin, their own families and send them off to die, not once, but over and over again."  he crossed his arms, "People who need to be chastised, taught the error of their ways, brought to understand they need redemption, and only then, forgiven...but people who are also a threat, an adversary, and an enemy."

"Why don't you want our Colonial colleagues to be involved though-they know the cylons better-"

"Because the Colonials hate the Cylons for what they are, not who they are or what they've done, but what they are.  They don't care about the sin, they hate the sinner, we won't win if we give in to hatred and irrationality, those are weaknesses. sir.  Flawless Victory may not be achieved by Genocide.  ask Nicholas Kerensky how well that works. His Clans tried genocide, you're still here building up."

"and you're helping."

"Because when you achieve victory, you won't go sterilizing civilian populations after enslaving them, Ma'am. If I even thought you would consider it, I'd burn my notes and eat my sidearm, or go for a walk out the airlock without a suit.  General Kerensky made a promise at Elbar.  So far as anyone knows for certain, the Clans forgot it until Duchess Ngo rubbed their noses in it, but you have a copy in your archives-I've read it.  your founding document here quotes it, and you're people of your word."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #119 on: 08 December 2019, 09:49:02 »
Hmm... Nike chatting with an unfettered centurion... hmmm...  ^-^