Author Topic: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)  (Read 170900 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)
« Reply #810 on: 16 May 2018, 15:40:03 »
What I want to see in the next DLC/Xpac-

Marauder 3R/3D
Warhammer 6R/6L
Dervish
Wasp or Stinger

Expand to dropping 8 mechs- means we trade in the Leopard for a Union!

As for the story . . . I cannot say since i have not completed, but perhaps Lyran related
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #811 on: 16 May 2018, 17:12:07 »
What I want to see in the next DLC/Xpac-

Marauder 3R/3D
Warhammer 6R/6L
Dervish
Wasp or Stinger

Expand to dropping 8 mechs- means we trade in the Leopard for a Union!

As for the story . . . I cannot say since i have not completed, but perhaps Lyran related
It might be interesting to play in the Combine under a Death to Mercs order. Like the list of 'Mechs.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #812 on: 16 May 2018, 17:41:30 »
I'd add Assassin to that list of 'mechs... 8/12 is too fast at 40 tons, but 7/11 is doable, especially since it'll have at least two missile hard points...

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #813 on: 16 May 2018, 18:44:55 »
I hope that HBS do not forget to add the Phoenix Hawk, once the HG vs PGI matter is sorted out. I miss having a 6/9/6 recon lead/skirmisher/hunter-killer Medium to put a Sensor Lock-ing Ace Pilot into.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #814 on: 16 May 2018, 18:49:26 »
I knew there was a medium I was forgetting that was 'traditional.'

So . . . would you say the mercs stay in the periphery and go to the DC-OA border?  One thing that I sort of like is they did not have a set point in the overall timeline that you were nailed down to- I think I am 3 years into my active play, so 6 from when you join Arano's guard for her coronation.  I have  to get to the end to see how it all sorts out, but Skye could be another interesting place to be after the Steiner-Davion wedding's war.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #815 on: 16 May 2018, 19:02:36 »
OK, I have to ask, since they're just on the other side of Magistracy space, and I'm not that far into the game yet, but is Niops on the stellar map?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #816 on: 16 May 2018, 19:28:22 »
OK, I have to ask, since they're just on the other side of Magistracy space, and I'm not that far into the game yet, but is Niops on the stellar map?

Alas, no. But there’s some interesting places in a similar vein, including a independent planet ruled by a theocracy that preserved crumbling Star League ruins

For people further in - when can I start working for the Taurians/FedSuns? In game, there is talk of that border getting hot, complete with a chemical weapon attack.
But i headed there and there’s no work

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #817 on: 16 May 2018, 19:32:23 »
I knew there was a medium I was forgetting that was 'traditional.'

So . . . would you say the mercs stay in the periphery and go to the DC-OA border?  One thing that I sort of like is they did not have a set point in the overall timeline that you were nailed down to- I think I am 3 years into my active play, so 6 from when you join Arano's guard for her coronation.  I have  to get to the end to see how it all sorts out, but Skye could be another interesting place to be after the Steiner-Davion wedding's war.

I rather like the view of the Inner Sphere that the game is presenting.  Specifically: on any given planet, there's quite possibly/probably portions of that planet under the armed control of some faction other than the Great House that owns said planet.  It's kind of counter to what I imagine lots of people's idea of how things work in-universe, but I always loved the idea of hodge-podge local sovereignty.  So if you're on a Kurita planet during the Death to Mercenaries period, just work for employers that control patches of a Kurita planet.  And probably act against Kurita on their own worlds!

The map doesn't expand at all.  What you get to do post-campaign is travel anywhere on the map that doesn't expand.  E.G. you can go into those worlds of the FWL/CC/FS that appear.  And you can work on your Kurita and Steiner faction points by taking jobs against Davion/Marik on their own worlds.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #818 on: 16 May 2018, 20:55:55 »
For people further in - when can I start working for the Taurians/FedSuns? In game, there is talk of that border getting hot, complete with a chemical weapon attack.
But i headed there and there’s no work

Have to do the LosTech run and you can take FedSuns contracts and visit Taurian worlds.
Colt Ward

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #819 on: 16 May 2018, 21:03:54 »
Have to do the LosTech run and you can take FedSuns contracts and visit Taurian worlds.

That’s a storyline mission, right?

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #820 on: 16 May 2018, 21:48:06 »
That’s a storyline mission, right?

Yep.  Story mission 6, Grave Robbing - be aware that it's a double-header, and that the second half gives you a preset party.  The good of this is in just what that lance of 'Mechs is; the NOT-so-good is just what that lance's only sensor-locker decided would be the most suitable ride.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #821 on: 16 May 2018, 22:53:02 »
Which is why that Griffin has JJ
Colt Ward

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #822 on: 16 May 2018, 23:42:30 »
So... mission on Itrom easiest ever to complete?

Drop down, move to the first silo without going around the hill. Stack up on the hill like a SWAT team, jump around and precision strike the enemy lance to death in two turns (because Accurate dual AC/20 King Crab crumples CT sections). Run back to drop zone ignore the two bonus objectives halfway across the map: two million C-Bills?

Profit?

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #823 on: 17 May 2018, 00:29:04 »
Which is why that Griffin has JJ

And Kamea put Reynard in that Griffin and took the Fatlas for herself; that's what I was referring to :P

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #824 on: 17 May 2018, 09:20:12 »
Oh I understand, but the Griffin has the mobility to visually spot . . . sure no sensor lock but he can see things for the LRMs, which works since he does not have any.
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #825 on: 17 May 2018, 19:20:46 »
Woo hoo!  Scored a Large Laser++ that does the same damage as a PPC, but with Large Laser heat... >:D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #826 on: 17 May 2018, 19:44:03 »
Ooh, that's pushing Blazer awesome.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #827 on: 17 May 2018, 19:48:05 »
Not quite, but I'll take it! :)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #828 on: 17 May 2018, 19:50:17 »
Ok, so first run through the infamous “ammo crates” priority mission.
First up - no cut scene/dialogue from the high lady and her merry band, which seems odd. Just played like a regular contract.
Anyone else?

And second. It’s hard. First time I tried to grab the escaping ticks and secure the crates and ended up all out of position. Knocked out one truck, but had two Mechs way the hell away. Other two were taking a pounding.
Restart - this time I flanked, coming out towards the trucks’ spawn point. Got noticed early and ended up letting the trucks go as I pushed to base.

So, do you have to stop the trucks? It’s only a secondary objective - but does it come back to hurt you?
And am I missing something?

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #829 on: 17 May 2018, 20:10:53 »
So, do you have to stop the trucks? It’s only a secondary objective - but does it come back to hurt you?

You don't have to stop them, but it's cash money.  And I've found the best way to handle it is to dash a 5/8 'mech, either one of the 55-tonners, a Dragon, or a Quickdraw, up into position and have 'em kick the trucks to death when they spawn.  Need to be able to act in Phase 3 though.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #830 on: 17 May 2018, 20:17:02 »
Note to self: Shadow Hawks can physical to death even a fully armored Manticore...  >:D

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #831 on: 17 May 2018, 20:44:02 »

I managed this one by running a Wolverine off to the left to catch the two trucks, although that was more luck than judgement since I didn't know where they'd spawn.
I marched my three heavies (JM6-S, TDR-5SS, CTF-1X) up the ridge to attract fire, blew up two ammo crates as the OpFor came after me, then retreated back into the spawn area and let them come to me while remaining out of range of the turrets. I was surprised to find that you don;t have to take out the turrets to complete the mission.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #832 on: 17 May 2018, 21:07:57 »

On my second go at that mission (I completed the first time but the trucks got away and it was a pyrrhic victory), I managed to sprint Dekker in my Kintaro Scout around the left flank to get a sensor lock and then get visual on the trucks, my Catapultaro LRM-boat did the rest of the hardwork. It also then put my Kintaro in a flanking position against the main body of the OPFOR. We were able to pincer the heavier units so they got bogged down in the middle of ammo crates which allowed me maximise the destruction wrough with sacrificing two ammo crates (took out two turrets, and badly damaged the two OPFOR heavies, a PPC-armed Cicada just vaporised and a Panther emerged armless).
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #833 on: 17 May 2018, 22:22:24 »
I jumped my close range griffin left along the ridge to the turret, and took it out. When the truck went active, I killed it with the griffin.

My heavies (well, orion, centurion, and shadow hawk) held the ridge, then descended in onxe the turrets were taken out with lrm fire. Then conxentrate on the mechs as the griffin sensor locked.

2nd truck the griffin took out then closed in from that side for back shots. (Took out the griffin that way)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #834 on: 18 May 2018, 00:49:29 »
My toddler has liked sitting in my lap watching me play computer games.

Before he went to bed last night he wandered into my room and stood next to the chair to be picked up.  He sat in my lap to watch the mechs stomp around.  My Grasshopper, with five flamers- I love that, walked up next to a Griffin that had a bit of armor damage on a Martian map.  The Grif had already fired its PPC or LRMs, cannot remember which but it had half of its 'safe' heat.  The Grasshopper punched for the physical, and then turned on the burners.  Fifty heat set off the ammo in the side torso causing the mech to shudder, overheat, and fall over.

The kid started laughing about the failed PSR.  When I showed him MWDA mechs earlier this week for a picture, made pewpew noises at his mech he dropped it and then started laughing.  Is it rude for a kid to laugh when someone fails a PSR?
Colt Ward

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #835 on: 18 May 2018, 00:52:47 »
Completing this one with all objectives and NOT destroying any crates doesn't give you any more of a bonus.
It might be easier to blow up the ammo crates nearest to the first truck once it spawns; if using 2 lights & 2 mediums, their turrets (including LRM-20 turrets) can wreck your units quickly.... So it's best to keep them far to the bottom-left out of LOS from the Laser turret to the far left, and out of range from the LRM-turrets at top right.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #836 on: 18 May 2018, 19:28:58 »
So the defense of Panzyr mission completely sucks.  I lost on the second turn.  Not sure how I am going to crack that nut.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #837 on: 18 May 2018, 20:27:08 »
So the defense of Panzyr mission completely sucks.  I lost on the second turn.  Not sure how I am going to crack that nut.

So I'm grinding up my Heavy/Assault Lance at the moment in preparation for it: how bad is the opposition?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #838 on: 18 May 2018, 20:32:12 »
Just finished Weldry... Lost that sweet Large Laser++, but will accept it to avoid save scumming.  The number of head hits I took put two more MechWarriors in the Medbay, but didn't kill any, and I lost that Large Laser to lucky successive hits on a side torso.  Stomped the bastards in return, though.

On a side note, I have to admit the moustache twirling on the part of the Directorate is a little annoying.  Sure, HBS is best served by a clear "bad guy", but really?  It's just a bit over the top...

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #839 on: 18 May 2018, 21:58:51 »
So I'm grinding up my Heavy/Assault Lance at the moment in preparation for it: how bad is the opposition?
Not bad, just don't go with what I would assume to be a normal first instinct: kill 'Mechs.  Focus on the APCs nearest to the objective.  If you want to take something fast to get after the barracks side mission:  good luck.  I'm not certain it is at all feasible.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 06:17:12 by Charlie 6 »