Author Topic: (Answered) Incendiary LRM footnote question  (Read 2821 times)

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
(Answered) Incendiary LRM footnote question
« on: 28 December 2017, 10:51:53 »
I concede that I am not one of the people that catch on quickly to some rules no matter how many times I read them and that I can be very dense to explanations provided by others. Another challenge is that during my twenty years of being in the USN following instructions per documents was done to the letter. Failing to follow the instructions worst result would to the loss of a ship, submarine, or aircraft with the entire crew the least bad result is that you got hurt, for example a cut finger requiring a band-aid with a stitch or two. Hopefully, I'll be able understand somebody's explanation the first go round.

On the Heavy Weapons Ammunition Table pp. 345-346 of BT TechManual PDF CAT 35002 2007-2013 The Topps Company, Inc. Corrected Third Printing Published by Catalyst Game Lab are the specifications for Incendiary (LRM) warheads.

The first footnote character is an asterisk (*) which I understand to mean that the specifications are identical for the LRM launcher using Incendiary warheads.

The second footnote is "‡Incendiary LRM capability may be combined with one other LRM special munition type (including standard, but excepting  Thunder); in such cases the heat, damage, range, and ammo capacity/weight statistics of the other missile type apply, but rack size is treated as 5 tubes smaller."

My impression from the second note is that when combining an Incendiary in another warhead type the specification for both warheads are applied on a successful To-Hit Roll.
Further because of the combined warhead the LRM launcher is treated as one 5 tubes smaller.

Would a LRM 5 launcher be considered a LRM 1 or LRM 0?
« Last Edit: 15 November 2018, 16:08:25 by Xotl »
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: TM Heavy Weapons Incendiary (LRM) footnote question
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2018, 16:08:11 »
Yeah, this one is weird, and it doesn't help that the actual rules are in TacOps rather than TM.  That footnote should have probably been removed from TM.

The rules as they appear in TO are:

Each flight of LRMs using Incendiary rounds will thus function per its normal game rules as though fired by a launcher 20 percent “smaller” (rounded up). (For instance, an Artemis IV-enhanced LRM 20 will attack a unit as if it were an Artemis-enhanced LRM 16 [20 – (20 x .20) = 20 – (4) = 16].)

So with incendiaries, an LRM 5 would be an LRM 4.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
Re: TM Heavy Weapons Incendiary (LRM) footnote question
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2018, 11:22:43 »
Morning fro WA Xotl,

Yeah, this one is weird, and it doesn't help that the actual rules are in TacOps rather than TM.  That footnote should have probably been removed from TM.

The rules as they appear in TO are:

Each flight of LRMs using Incendiary rounds will thus function per its normal game rules as though fired by a launcher 20 percent “smaller” (rounded up). (For instance, an Artemis IV-enhanced LRM 20 will attack a unit as if it were an Artemis-enhanced LRM 16 [20 – (20 x .20) = 20 – (4) = 16].)

So with incendiaries, an LRM 5 would be an LRM 4.

Thank you again for clarification of one of my questions and my apologies for not seeing the answer sooner. The web gremlins seem to be blocking the notification request and the other day I did not get to look through my posts.

To summarize: The TM Incendiary LRM footnote should reference TO pp. 369-370 versus the 5 tubes smaller as indicated in the Heavy Weapons Ammunition Table pp. 345-346 of BT TechManual PDF CAT 35002 2007-2013 and PDF 2007-2018.

Tom Rux
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)