Author Topic: Vehicle Flamer  (Read 1911 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Vehicle Flamer
« on: 13 February 2020, 20:49:47 »
Hello. This came up in the Literally-unseen thread I created.

When were Vehicle Flamers first introduced into the game?

We are trying to rationalize differing descriptions of Flamers by various writers over the years.

Thanks for your time.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Vehicle Flamer
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2020, 09:10:37 »
Last century.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2020, 17:12:03 »
No, I meant more like; In what book?

Kind of like how the very earliest products had only the one type of autocannon?

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2020, 18:04:37 »
BattleTech Compendium, I believe.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2020, 22:43:42 »
BattleTech Compendium, I believe.

That is very interesting, because that comes well after TRO 3026 in 1987ish, which had the Behemoth and J.Edgar Flamer variants.

Were flamers originally handled differently under the rules than they are now? As in a ballistic weapon without ammo that produced heat in mechs, but not for vehicles?

This would explain many fluff descriptions of flamers in the early works.

A.E. Housman

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2020, 07:18:06 »
Yup.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2020, 07:25:14 »
So, my theory above is correct?

A.E. Housman

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2020, 07:38:16 »
Well…you can call it a theory, but you’re just discovering how it all played out. Flamers were just flamers. Soon after, construction rules were changed so that ammo was required if you didn’t have a fusion engine since it was repeated fluffed that way.

Despite popular opinion, BattleTech rules did change over their lifespan, and the biggest changes happened in the first five years.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2020, 21:24:17 »
I never knew that one, before! I only stumbled on the Autocannon-thing by accident.

Thanks a ton!

A.E. Housman

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2020, 18:20:42 »
Well…you can call it a theory, but you’re just discovering how it all played out. Flamers were just flamers. Soon after, construction rules were changed so that ammo was required if you didn’t have a fusion engine since it was repeated fluffed that way.

Even 'Mechs (like the Firestarter) were fluffed as carrying fuel for flamers, though no ammo was listed.

After flipping through CityTech, The Rules of Warfare, and the Compendium, I agree: I think it was the 1990 Compendium that introduced ammo-using vehicle flamers.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.