Author Topic: Importing Mechworks files into MegaMekLab  (Read 3558 times)

BlueThing

• Sergeant
Importing Mechworks files into MegaMekLab
« on: 13 November 2017, 20:25:16 »
I recently stumbled across my old Mechworks install from many years ago.  I've got a bunch of custom mechs that I designed for various purposes.  Sadly, Windows 10 will not run a Windows 3.1 program, so I can't just fire up Mechworks. 

I was wondering if there is an importer or converter to get the files into the MegaMek ecosystem.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: Importing Mechworks files into MegaMekLab
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2017, 22:38:53 »
 You might need to passing you're designs through a series of programs

http://www.pryderockindustries.com/dl_mech.php

Mechworks---->Drawing Board---->See if Megamek will load the tbd file.

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

BlueThing

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2017, 02:04:22 »
Thanks. I’ll check that out tomorrow and see if it works.

BlueThing

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2017, 11:38:26 »
Hmm... It looks like that doesn't work.  The Drawing Board didn't directly open the old files and I couldn't find a way to import them.

I did get MML to load the output of TDB.  Doing so requires saving the mech as XML instead of the standard TDB format.  Opening it seems to have mostly worked correctly, although jump jets didn't load correctly in MML (I see them in the XML, so it looks like the problem is on the MML side.

-----

Looking deeper into this, it looks like Mechworks is a 16 bit program, as it was made for Win 3.1.  Up until XP, you could directly run it.  In Win 7, you could download XP compatibility and run it.  For Win 10, it looks like I'd have to dig up an earlier version of Windows (and its license key) and run it in a VM.  I'm not willing to put that much effort into this trip down memory lane.  :)

If anyone has other suggestions (or knows about something I've missed in TDB), I'm definitely interested.  These are my old mechs from various campaigns going back to high school.  If I can get the mechs into MML, I'm willing to put some effort in, as then I'd be able to use them today.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2017, 13:19:01 »
Yeah... ummm... pretty sure 30 year old files and apps will require manual handling.

BlueThing

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2017, 15:49:30 »
Yeah... ummm... pretty sure 30 year old files and apps will require manual handling.
More like 20 years old, at least for me.

I'm hoping someone has a suggestion better than installing an older version of Windows in a VM to be able to run Mechworks (which is way more work than I plan on spending on what is effectively a nostalgia trip looking at my custom mechs from high school and college). 

Hammer's suggested workflow was a good one, but it doesn't appear to work.  I'm hoping that either I missed something in TDB or that some other program can input the files.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2017, 15:59:21 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 18:26:32 by Easy »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2017, 16:05:26 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 18:25:54 by Easy »

BlueThing

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2017, 16:15:13 »
The irony that the WINE Project is now better at running legacy win32 software than Microsoft Windows...
Problem is, this is 16 bit legacy code. To make WINE work with it, I’m pretty sure I’d need an earlier version of Windows than what I have installed currently as Win 10 doesn’t have the legacy APIs for 16 bit code.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2017, 16:31:02 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 18:25:37 by Easy »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2019, 18:26:11 »
cleanup