Author Topic: Cougar Prime resculpt and Pouncer config A  (Read 2756 times)

Luciora

• Major
Cougar Prime resculpt and Pouncer config A
« on: 09 January 2018, 17:47:32 »
2 more line Omnimechs, both with Wolf's Dragoons markings.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Cougar Prime resculpt and Pouncer config A
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2018, 16:01:52 »
 O0

Archer77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2018, 01:46:15 »
What did you use for the arms on the Pouncer?

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2018, 02:40:08 »
Could someone post a new/old comparison, please?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2018, 12:20:15 »
Original on the left.  Newer sculpt has more detailing.

The arms from the Pouncer are the original Fenris release with the old Mad Cat launchers, the arm socket removed.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2018, 14:47:23 »
Sculptor here.

The more hunched over style of the Mechwarrior 4 cougar was the main inspiration for this guy.  Combining that with most of the details from the Matt Plog art from TRO: 3060 and a few cues from
the Cougar XR, I think this guy turned out great.

The problem with the original sculpt wasn't scale, it was just a bit wonky.  Now it looks like 40% of the mass is in those massive arms and it is just more imposing.

Fun fact, the original sculpt is actually the feet, legs and arms from the first sculpt Adder/Puma, simply with a different torso. 

Thank you very much for sharing pics!

Archer77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2018, 02:15:58 »
Original on the left.  Newer sculpt has more detailing.

The arms from the Pouncer are the original Fenris release with the old Mad Cat launchers, the arm socket removed.

Fenris or Mist lynx? I ask because I think I just found a the arms for a Dragonfly variant that I wanted to build. ^-^

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2018, 06:25:24 »
It has a fair bit more details than before, but if I look at that artwork I´m not that impressed as I am with those reseen mechs that came out lately. Sad, it´s just such a lovely design rich with details.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2018, 09:04:04 »
It has a fair bit more details than before, but if I look at that artwork I´m not that impressed as I am with those reseen mechs that came out lately. Sad, it´s just such a lovely design rich with details.

I'm sorry you feel that way! I initially had it even more detailed, but I was asked to dial some back and remove others by CGL actually.

Here's the TRO Art and the model, side by side:

Much of the detail on the arms and torso is preserved and I only eliminated details that tended to be, what's the word... patternistic? The legs are more derived from the MW4 model, but I definitely grabbed as much of the detail as I could there.  The feet are straight off the XR, but with the toes modified a bit.  Overall, I'd like to think I kept the level of detail similar, just making it a little more logical overall.  Frankly, I am not sure if the Plog cougar could torso twist....
« Last Edit: 12 January 2018, 09:08:13 by Stinger »

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2018, 10:32:34 »
Have you done those ressen mechs as well, or was it somebody else? Now if you say that you took your ideas from several versions of the cougar i understand why there are so many deviations and mayber CGL wanted it dialed down for it being easier to be printed? What do you think? Do you have a gallery somewhere or a Deviant name?
« Last Edit: 12 January 2018, 10:36:56 by Domi1981 »

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2018, 11:23:22 »
Sometimes, your own vision just doesn't coincide with the art direction being given at the time. In most cases; this actually makes the process fun/challenging/rewarding. Though, in rare cases you're left with a combination of collective ideas that don't seem to come together to make the very-best end result. Still, other than the inward jointed knees-- I think this sculpt turned out great. I'm pleased with the level of detail. It feels very appropriate, and not over-done for the sake of complexity. I'm looking forward to scoring a copy. Although, I do plan to swap the legs for a wider stance... ;) 

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2018, 12:25:38 »

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2209

Again, these are the original release arms so depending on the Dragonfly base you are using, might be smaller than you like.

Fenris or Mist lynx? I ask because I think I just found a the arms for a Dragonfly variant that I wanted to build. ^-^

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2018, 12:27:31 »
Have you done those ressen mechs as well, or was it somebody else? Now if you say that you took your ideas from several versions of the cougar i understand why there are so many deviations and mayber CGL wanted it dialed down for it being easier to be printed? What do you think? Do you have a gallery somewhere or a Deviant name?

No, I have not done any of the Classics, those are someone else. 

As for dialing down for printing, that is not the reason at all.  It was simply the art direction.  It is surprising the amount of detail you can pack onto these minis and still have a good print, but the designer must be quite thoughtful about it, and I always strive for that.  Some of my earlier sculpts (Thor II screams to me on this one) I made some details too small, so you can see them on the sculpt itself, albeit faintly, but when you paint it, those details just fade away.  That's a main issue with 3D design, is that you can't see your work as you are working on it, and it may not turn out when turned into a physical miniature.

The Cougar here is meant to be, essentially, the essential cougar.  A culmination of a variety of ideas into a single miniature, and I hope people overall like it.  I've had to do stuff like this before, like in the new(ish) Gravedigger sculpt (part of the undead lance pack).  That one is a clear combination of both the Dark Age mini and the line art.  The head is actually straight off the DA mini while other details are pulled off of the line art. 

As for a deviantart, I don't keep it updated much, I actually have quite a few drawings (renders?) I've been meaning to upload, but I haven't gotten around to yet.  But here's the link: https://stinger-seven.deviantart.com/

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2018, 13:25:04 »
Many thanks to all the sculptors!

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2018, 10:12:34 »
That new sculpt is gorgeous.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith