Author Topic: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War  (Read 143002 times)

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
Re: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War
« Reply #240 on: 24 May 2018, 15:52:54 »
Made a small change to the last Grand Council session that will satisfy the how the Jags did it. And more importantly...just how screwed they really are...
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #241 on: 24 May 2018, 17:08:29 »
What page was that?  :D

*eats popcorn* with bated breath, we watch the Joke Jaguars... LOL, did Osis play hacky sack with the head?
« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 21:30:40 by pensiveswetness »

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #242 on: 24 May 2018, 17:33:40 »
Page 7, Reply #191
FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #244 on: 25 May 2018, 02:18:02 »
The Nova Cats get wind of thisthe Jags will be toast.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #245 on: 25 May 2018, 08:06:01 »
Who says they haven't already, hard to miss a good chunk of the Jag fleet streaming air and wreckage heading home along the Exodus Road to the nearest shipyard...and a Nova Cat or Diamond Shark merchant just HAPPENING to be in the vicinity with a pair of decent binoculars or a telescope.

Oh, and Behold! The draft cover for Clover Spear!

Clover Spear Cover by jrw4war, on Flickr
« Last Edit: 25 May 2018, 09:33:53 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #246 on: 25 May 2018, 10:34:45 »
Nice!

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #247 on: 31 May 2018, 10:18:38 »
Fan fiction or a Fan-made PDF... still a good pic for the whole idea
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #248 on: 12 June 2018, 14:52:19 »
More kind sir

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #249 on: 12 June 2018, 15:30:16 »
Have been on a trip in Hawaii since last Wed. Will be back at it when I get back on Thursday.
FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #250 on: 12 June 2018, 18:42:12 »
Don't forget to visit the Missouri

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #251 on: 13 June 2018, 02:00:48 »
Are you the one playing with the volcano. ;)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #252 on: 19 June 2018, 14:29:37 »
AU: The letter from Juliette Von Strang was written by Gladiusone of Spacebattles.com. I really want to take this time to give him and Yellowhammer a shoutout as they have helped to make Clover Spear what it is.

“..Jade Falcon warriors have fought poorly in many circumstances and our warriors said that dezgra bandits were better in some cases. I have had to discipline more than few under my command who suggested that we should not have bothered to take bondsmen. While I tend to agree privately, they are still misguided trothkin, even if they are solahma by anyone’s standard, and in some way, they can still benefit the Clan. But yes, the state of their garrisons was pitiful to say the least, not to mention of their lower castes. Both Clans are on the verge of collapse in the Inner Sphere. Khans Kerensky and Ward were prescient in acting now before the 3rd wave of the Federated Commonwealth resumes.”
Excerpt from the unpublished diary of Star Commander Anton Fetladral, 5th Wolf Guards Striker Cluster, dated November 9th, 3056
Results of the Clan Wolf “Land Grab”

October 3056

Quarell
Attacking Forces: 13th Wolf Guards
Defending Forces:  1st Falcon Velites
Results: The First Falcon Velites met the 13th on a series of rolling plains outside the planetary capitol of Hedemarr. The fight was short and brutal, with Kerensky leading a brutal attack on the Falcon left flank that buckled but did not break the Falcon line. Neither side could gain a decisive advantage, as the Falcons were slightly outgunned by the Wolves, they were more skilled, and as such, neither side could gain a ready advantage. Kerensky came close to breaking her bid and calling down the 24th Wolf Rangers, but after two days of inconclusive fighting, the commander of the 1st Falcon Velites, Star Colonel Serendice Helmer asked for a duel with Kerensky to decide the fate of the planet. Kerensky took a Mad Dog to face Prentice in his Thor. At first, it looked as if Prentice might win the duel, as he landed a couple of lucky SRM hits to the head of Kerensky’s ‘Mech, but Kerensky cored his right torso with a pair of Large Laser hits from the rear, and then put two racks of LRMs into the legs of his ‘Mech, destroying several actuators in the right leg, and toppling Helmer’s Thor. Kerensky made Helmer her bondsman, and then took the rest of the 1st as isorla.

November 3056

Toland
Attacking Forces: 37th Striker Cluster
Defending Forces: 5th Talon
Results: The 5th Talon did not respond to the batchall of the 37th’s commander, and thus, he grounded with his entire cluster, expecting the worst. He was not met with resistance initially, but the 5th massed for an all-or-nothing assault on the 37th’s dropships and landing zone. It was a 12-hour desperate fight on the part of the 37th to stop the enraged Falcons from overrunning the LZ. Little observance of the Honor Road was in evidence on either side and by the time the smoke had cleared, the 37th had taken 20% casualties, but the 5th was barely a half-dozen confused and wounded bondsmen whom were only taken after the intervention on their behalf of the commander of the 37th.

Steelton
Attacking Forces: 5th Wolf Guards Striker Cluster
Defending Forces: 5th Provisional Garrison Cluster
Results: Considered by Clan Jade Falcon to be one of their worst units, and little more than solahma trash, it was little surprise that they did not fight very hard to keep the 5th Wolf Guards Striker Cluster, with many members of the unit preferring to become bondsmen to Clan Wolf after desultory duels that were little more than surrenders en masse.

Maxie’s Planet
Attacking Forces: 11th Battle Cluster, 24th Wolf Rangers
Defending Forces: 8th Talon Cluster
Results: Maxie’s Planet was the closest the Wolves came to a disaster during the Land Grab. The Wolf Clan Watch missed the fact that the 8th Talon Cluster was being upgraded to a frontline cluster and had had a recent draft of experienced trueborns arrive to whip the unit into shape. Their lessons soon proved to be just in the nick of time, as the 11th soon arrived to bid for control of the planet. The 8th honored the 11th’s batchall, and the 8th gave them a good fight, forcing the 11th to break their bid twice, and then for good measure, call in the 24th Wolf Rangers, who by force of numbers, managed to finally force out of the planetary capital and back towards their dropships. The 8th took the hint and left hours later, bound for Trell I. The commander of the 11th was killed by a subordinate in a Trial of Position within hours of the departure of the 8th Talon Cluster.

Romulus
Attacking Forces: 4th Striker Cluster
Defending Forces: 7th Provisional Garrison Cluster
Results: The 7th was made up almost exclusively of older trueborns whom had been declared solahma and were looking for an honorable end. They answered the call of the 4th, demanding a series of duels to the death to decide who got the planet. Honors were about even after the duels were fought, but the Wolves managed to win two more duels than the Falcons, and under the terms of the deal, the 7th left for Evcilier two days after the last duel was fought.

Both Seiduts and Zoetermeer fell without a shot, as the Falcon sponsored militias surrendered without issue to the Wolves en masse.

Grand Hall of Castle Davion
New Avalon
Federated Commonwealth
December 9th, 3056

“..how many can say they had a life well lived? I am happy to say; my parents didn’t have that problem. I’d like to think that’s why we loved them so much for it. Many will remember my father for the wars he started, and my mother for the wars she helped prevent. I just remember them as my Mom and Dad, and they were great parents, as well as leaders, and I hope, no, I pray I am half the parent they were when the time comes. ”
-   From the eulogy delivered by Katherine Steiner Davion at the state funeral for Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner Davion, December 9th, 3056

Katherine surveyed the wake for her parents. The ballroom was packed, and yet, it seemed few were willing to approach Katherine, except to say some whispered condolences, Galen was running interference for me today. God I need it after all that.  It seemed all New Avalon had turned out for the state funeral, led by a single Albion cadet in full mess dress, carrying her father’s graduation sword on a white satin pillow with the Federated Commonwealth sigil, marching slowly and alone the length of Avalon Boulevard to the Peace Park, where both had said they had often wanted to be buried, overlooking the Silver Eagle memorial.

They’d been followed by a riderless horse, led by another Albion cadet, the horse had reversed boots in the stirrups, the clops of the horse on the pavement rang throughout the silent city, silent except for a wail or a sob. Then came a pair of horsedrawn herses, each with a single black coffin, with the Federated Commonwealth seal inlaid into the coffin. They were made of hardwoods from Tharkad for her mother, and New Avalon for her father. Thankfully, the laying in state was closed casket, I am not sure I would want to remember my parents like that. Behind the herses marched Katherine, Galen, Ardan Sortek, and Quintus Allard, as well as the rest of Katherine’s siblings. Yvonne was trying, and failing to hide her tears, but the rest managed, if only by force of will, their manner somber. Ardan and Galen wore full mess dress, their medals and brass gleaming in the winter day’s sun. Katherine wore a black dress but did not wear a veil. I want them to see my pain, to know I loved my parents, my family. How do I tell them without losing it?

Behind the family and close friends marched an entire company of infantry from the Davion Heavy Guards. Mechs from all the units of the New Avalon garrison lined the route. Half of them had been repainted in the Steiner Royal Guards scheme. All the infantry was in full dress uniform and everything gleamed in the sunlight. They marched perfectly in step, colors lined in black, and black armbands on every soldier’s left sleeve.

A single drummer, this time an Albion student from the Commonwealth, she had been told, beat a single steady somber beat on a military drum. The echo of the drum filled the streets. Behind her, marched the rest of the friends, well-wishers, and heads of state that were at the funeral.

The mood of the people was a mix of sorrow, and anger. Anger at the Capellans, who had been the cause of this funeral, and so, so many others on New Avalon, and elsewhere. Katherine had already attended funerals for at least three Avalon City police officers who had been killed trying to rescue people after the blast. They’d been caught in a collapse of rubble and crushed. They died trying to save people, my people. Their sovereign has a duty to be there. Many were dressed in black, with veterans saluting as the caskets passed. Some held hand written signs that read “God Bless You Hanse and Melissa” and “We’ll Miss You Both”. Katherine felt a stab of pain at every one. Thank you, but seeing that, it just makes me want to bawl. How did my parents lead these people so well? And when will they figure out what a damned fake I am? she remembered thinking.

The service at the Grand Cathedral had been elaborate, but tasteful. Her parents staff, as their last act before handing in their resignations pro-forma (which Katherine had rejected out of hand), had done a marvelous job of planning the funeral. Katherine still had to approve everything, but she’d been surprised how little of her time the staff had taken up with the details of the funeral. Mom and Dad was beloved by them too. I really should say something to them. Ran Felsner, Ardan Sortek, Galen, James Sandoval, and a pair of very large soldiers from the Heavy Guards acted as pallbearers for her father. Her mother had Misha Auburn, her brothers Peter and Arthur, and some Lyran Guardsmen from the 10th Lyran Guards standing in for Victor. Please God, if you’re listening? Don’t let us have to have one for Victor, her mind had echoed.

The service had been full of the usual pomp and circumstance, with the Pope of the New Avalon Catholic Church presiding, but with some allowances made for Melissa’s Lutheran faith. The Pope had talked of her father’s faith. Of how he and her father had spoken of both’s love of the Unfinished Book and how Hanse, for all his roguish nature, and his being a ‘Mechwarrior, had become a true father, husband, and leader of his people. He spoke of his mother and told a story of how she had offered to convert to the New Avalon Church, but that both Hanse and the Pope had talked her out of it, admittedly, as much for political reasons, as both men were believers in the Unfinished Book, and felt such a thing was anathema to its tenets.

Then began the eulogies. Ran Felsner went first, he spoke of meeting Hanse for the first time as a Major General in 3010, how even with all his accomplishments, he was still as nervous as a firstie at NAIS. Hanse’s advice? “Fake it till you make it, Ran, and knowing you, that won’t be long.” Ran spoke of how he, Ardan Sortek, and Hanse would often have drinks in Hanse’s drawing room in the palace after working hours, trying to solve the problems of the Inner Sphere..and often getting fairly tipsy, but occasionally getting a good idea out of it. He spoke of Melissa, and how they first met at the wedding, and how she seemed quiet and bookish, but had a spine of steel, and a heart of gold, and how it was evident in her children.

Ardan Sortek spoke of knowing Hanse as a boy, and as a younger man, he asked Melissa to forgive him those trespasses, and to know, she was the best wife and mother Hanse could have asked for. He laughed when he remembered a few things from Hanse’s bachelor party that he swore he would tell no one until after Hanse and Melissa had passed and the kids were old enough to understand. They weren’t particularly ribald, more sophomoric hijinks that Katherine could never picture her father having a hand in, or at least the Hanse Davion she knew. Filling Myndo Waterly’s swimming pool on Hilton Head with a mix of Jello and lunchmeat? Inspired Dad, inspired. I do wonder what Mom thought when she found out just how close you guys came to order MIIO to do it!

Then it came to be Katherine’s turn. She’d written and re-written her eulogy a dozen time the night before. She still wasn’t happy with it. It was some proforma thing that the Press Office had cleared, and it well, wasn’t her. But she didn’t have the luxury of being her. Or at least she didn’t think so, till she looked over at Galen once she reached the lectern, and he smiled weakly, and mouthed “be yourself.”

Katherine nodded, and tossed away the speech, much to the gasps of the crowd. “That’s better. Apologies to my speechwriting staff. I know you guys work hard, but this was my Mom and Dad. And well, I am going to talk about them as my Mom and Dad, not great personages of history. At least, not yet. Everyone OK with that?”

The cathedral was silent as a tomb

Katherine cleared her throat, and sniffled a bit, holding back tears. “My Mom and Dad were wonderful people. They raised five kids to inherit one of the toughest family businesses in the Inner Sphere. They did it with grace, humility, and still managed to find time for each other even with the demands of state and us five pains in the rear, and yeah, we were hellions at times.” That got a chuckle from the crowd.

“Mom was brave beyond words sometimes. She knew the lives we would lead, lives we did not choose, and lives some of us aren’t sure we wanted. But she showed us that those lives were accidents of birth, and those lives didn’t make us better, or superior. I remember once, I was going through a bratty phase when I was 7, and I tripped one of the maids in the palace just to do it. Poor woman hurt herself badly with a knee injury. I thought it funny. It wasn’t, and Mom made sure I knew that. She gave me a hiding I deserved, and I never thanked her for it, because I deserved it…and I needed it. Well, I am thanking you now. Thank You, Mom. You made me a woman. A woman who mourns her mother as the strong, wonderful mother and ruler she was.”

She remembered smiling weakly as she thought of her father “My father. If ever there was a roguish influence in my life, it was him. Daddy, and yes, to me, he will always be Daddy, well, for all the tough Mechwarrior exterior, was a ball of mush when it came to his daughters. I will never forget how he snuck out of the palace one Christmas to buy us the “it toy” that year. He did it himself with a small security detail, and a elaborate disguise. I am happy to say; Yvonne and I had that toy under the tree!  He doted on us perhaps too much, but he showed me, and Yvonne never settle for a man who won’t treat you like he did. I am glad to say, I found him Daddy!”

“I know we can all ask; how many can say they had a life well lived? I am happy to say; my parents didn’t have that problem. I’d like to think that’s why we loved them so much for it. Many will remember my father for the wars he started, and my mother for the wars she helped prevent. I just remember them as my Mom and Dad, and they were great parents, as well as leaders, and I hope, no, I pray I am half the parent they were when the time comes.”

The cathedral filled with applause.

The rest of the service had been a blur, the graveside service, the honors rendered, though the young Leftenant who had handed her the flags for her parents on “behalf of a grateful Commonwealth” had tracks of tears running down his face and had apologized for it. Katherine smiled and whispered “It’s alright, Leftenant, we just buried the soul of the Commonwealth today. I think tears are the order of the day.”

And now, there came the wake. “Galen, dear, thanks for running interference.”

Galen smiled, “Hon, I know you have to greet some of these people, but it it wrong if I get to say “not now?”

Katherine shook her head “I get it, with Omi reading to Victor now, I kinda want some alone time with you after all this. Been trying not to lose it all day, and well, I need to.”

“Me too, Katherine, me too,” as Galen took her hand gently in his.

Later that evening

Katherine surveyed the roomful of cards and flowers that filled the private sitting room of her mother. I really don't know what the hell I am going to do with this place? She wanted to do something other than a stuffy old granite memorial to her parents. Something alive, something that continues their legacy. If I do anything with my time here, it's that. She surveyed the heaps of cards, well wishes, and condolences. One in particular, marked with the unique sigil of the Von Strang family caught her eye. That crazy pirate even sent condolences? Oh, this I gotta read. She grabbed a letter opener off of a nearby table, and opened the black and silver envelope deftly in a single motion, and carefully removed the finely weighted paper. It was high quality, with the note penned with what could only be a high quality pen. Jeez, that Von Strang woman went all out.

29 October, 3056

Princess,

We have not met, but I spent several days negotiating with your mother. She was a brilliant, honest and powerful woman, and the Inner Sphere is a lesser place without her. As someone who has also lost a parent to murderous barbarians, you have my most serious condolences.

I never had a chance to meet either your father or brother, but your fathers reputation for war and politics echoed even to my fathers halls as I grew, and your brothers valour against the Clans is unquestioned. Such strength is not easily conquered: he will recover to rain hellfire down upon the spawn of Hazen again, I am certain.

My Legion is reforming on Sudeten, preparing to resume the drive to rid your worlds of the Tanker plague, and then to hound them through the Periphery until they are driven back to their cold, barren holds in the deepest black. This is accomplished through the will of your mother, the wit of your father and the prowess of your brother. You are of that same stock: you will not fail them, or your people.

Perhaps I should not have written thusly: I do so only with the recommendation of your cousin, Colonel Morgan Kell, whom I count as both mentor and friend. Yet I felt compelled to speak, as one ruler, one orphan, one woman, one seeker of vengeance to another: you will prevail.

I saw the video of Kali Laois death: it is a good start. You are doing well ... for a Spheroid.

Sincerely,

Colonel the Baroness Juliette von Strang, Sudeten.

Secure wing of New Avalon General Hospital
New Avalon
Federated Commonwealth
December 9th, 3056

“I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” Omi Kurita smiled as she read the passage in Moby Dick. What a very Kurita statement, for such a Gaijin? Did Hohiro or Minoru go to their end laughing? Did Father? I do not know whether I wish they did..or did not. And as such, is me wishing they had not made their sacrifices, that I still had them here, does that stain the honor of what they did?

Omi’s sleep had been troubled of late with these questions and more. She had attended the funeral for Victor’s parents in disguise, it was thought best by both Shin Yodama, as well as the head of Katherine’s security detail. They had made up a fictional identity as a minor noblewoman from Ozawa who had come to pay her respects, as well as get her title of nobility confirmed at the hand of the Archon-Princess herself.

The funeral had been very unlike Combine affairs, more a celebration of life of the deceased, rather than a focus on the afterlife. She’d come to appreciate it, and it made her think about her future with Victor. I love him, and there really is no other. If what I believe is true, then if he does not return from his sojurn in the land of the dead, then I shall join him there. Lady Fiona has gone mad with everyone trying to restrain her from doing so with Hohiro. I will not share that fate.

Omi put the book down and smiled at Victor, he looked better than he had when the doctors briefed her as to his condition. Most of the smaller bandages were gone, and he was off the ventilator, she helped the nursing staff do what they could for him, to Omi, nobility did not preclude hard work.

She heard a gasping noise...ie, could it be? No, the doctors said he was probably not going to come out of his coma anytime soon! She heard it again. It was clearly coming from Victor. He had made random noises before, and his eyes opened and closed randomly, but there was no spark, no consciousness behind them. But this time..the eyes opened as gummy slits, and the rasp was making a sound, Omi dropped the book in shock, throwing the chair aside, and rushing to his bedside. She smiled and leaned over his head.

Victor rasped “My love, what are you doing here?”

Omi lunged for the call button, tears and giggles of joy warring as her prayers had been answered.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2018, 10:19:06 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #253 on: 19 June 2018, 18:06:49 »
Victor's back and there's gonna be trouble...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #254 on: 19 June 2018, 19:22:42 »
No kidding.  Imagine how much damage they'll do when they aren't fighting each other.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #255 on: 19 June 2018, 20:38:56 »
Victor back and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la, my Brother's back)
When you see him comin', better cut out on the double
(Hey-la, hey-la, the Midget's back)

You been spreading terror to the whole fedcom
(Hey-la, hey-la, Victor's back)
So look out now 'cause he's comin' after you
(Hey-la, hey-la, the Warrior's back)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #256 on: 19 June 2018, 21:23:47 »
I think I understand why it took so long to get an update.  Very well done. Its probably a good thing that Sun Tzu thinks himself dead

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #257 on: 21 June 2018, 21:43:42 »
CRY HAVOC! AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR! WE ARE GOING HUNTING FOR THE THOSE BASTARDS OF THE CAPPYS AND BRINGING THEIR HEADS BACK TO PUT ON THE PIKES!
Great chapter and can not wait to see the next setup. The vampires letter was very cool and nice touch.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #258 on: 21 June 2018, 22:41:17 »
You know the Capelens aren't the only ones who should be scared Omi's brother was his friend too.Both the Black Dragons and the Jags should probably start filling out their last wills and testaments. Like has the Sian problem handled.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #259 on: 22 June 2018, 17:25:44 »
1st the Capellan Confederation
Hopefully Father Bowman can lead us in the The Litany of the Fox before we go

Then on to the black dragons and smoked kitty..

and you know this Kat is a logistical expert, just what Victor will need as a support

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #260 on: 26 June 2018, 10:11:08 »
Great story so far.  Love the changes from the canon timeline.  Looking forward to the next installment.

I think I understand why it took so long to get an update.  Very well done. Its probably a good thing that Sun Tzu thinks himself dead
I do not think there is going to much of the CapCon left after they are done.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #261 on: 05 July 2018, 08:31:29 »
AU: It seems Omi Kurita was not done with Yellowhammer yet. I hadn't gotten around to posting it until now because, well, I have been painting 20mm WWII figures and vehicles like a mad man for a game I am running for my birthday party next week (my actual birthday was on the 2nd). But I promise another chapter will post soon.. >:D Meanwhile, enjoy this Omake folks!

December 31st, 3056 (Year of the Yang Fire Dragon)
Byodo-in Temple
New Avalon, Crucis March

A pair of hover limos slowly climbed up the low wooded hill along a road marked off by Avalon City Police for the New Year's Celebration to where the Buddhist temple overlooked the river running through Avalon City. Inside the lead one, marked with the flags of the Davion Heavy Guards and an AFFS license plate, Omiko Kurita sat like a marble statue.

While she had been invited to the traditional New Year's Party at the Davion Palace by Katherine, she had politely requested to arrive after midnight. As much as she wished to stand with Katherine as she gave the traditional address to the Federated Suns from the Great Hall or celebrate with Victor as he recovered from his injuries, she felt that the time was not yet right for her to do so. While the Western tradition was purely a celebration; in the Japanese tradition, Ōmisoka was a period of reflection and preparation in part.

Omi felt that she had much to reflect on as this year turned to its close.

To keep her mind occupied, she looked over at the other woman in the back of the limousine. "Tell me of this temple, please, Parvati-san."

The dark-complexioned woman with her face showing the fine features of her ancestors from distant India shifted slightly. Her AFFC dress uniform was now adorned with a Kommandant's thick white stripe on the dark yellow epaulets showing her posting in Administration. "An useful fiction for DMI," she had explained to Omi during one of their conversations on the trip from Exeter to New Avalon.

"Omiko-san, I mist confess that I only visited Byodo-in three times. Twice when I was a cadet at Albion as part of a class on religious studies and then Combine culture, and then the third time for a friend's wedding in '53. I'm Panpouran, which means mainly Hindu with Theravada Buddhism synthesis. Byodo-in is one of the Mahayana East Asian branches of Buddhism such as you would have found in China or Japan. As I recall..." Parvati drummed her fingers on the car door briefly, then spoke again, "it is shared by the Jōdo Pure Land and Tendai Schools."

Omi's face lit up in a smile. "That is fortunate! I follow the Sōtō Zen school, which was developed from Jōdo during the Kamakura Shogunate era in Japan." At Parvati's inquisitive look the Kurita elaborated. "Religion is one of the key duties of the Keeper of House Honor, and I found that it suited me well. While I was no nun such as Aunt Constance, it did...does grant me solace." The smile faded at the mention of yet another of her relatives who had vanished in the chaos enveloping the Combine.

Parvati reached over and gently squeezed Omi's hand, who gave her a grateful smile in return before deliberately changing the subject away from too-fresh worries. "You mentioned that this temple is famous for its beauty, no?"

Parvati smiled. "Yes, it was founded in 2373. These are not the original wooden buildings, of course, although they are constructed to the original plans with some cosmetic modifications." Omi frowned minutely at the odd tone of Parvati's voice. She was familiar with the Sengu tradition in Shinto that had a shrine be rebuilt every twenty years both to honor the impermanence of nature and transience of beauty, as well as insure traditional building techniques were taught to the next generation. However, this seemed to be something different, with an undertone of hidden..pain?

Curious now, Omi probed further with her next question. She schooled her voice to project innocent curiosity as she gave the DMI officer a shy smile. "Parvati-san, did something happen that caused a modification to the plans?"

Parvati's smile soured, and she looked like she had just bitten into a lemon. "You could say that, Omiko-san. You must understand that it was a different, darker time back then." The Indian woman visibly collected her thoughts before proceeding. "There has sometimes been a current of antipathy toward Asian culture in the Suns. Many people see it as alien to their culture, and worse see it as the subtle creeping influence of the Liaos and Kuritas." Parvati then hastily added, "No insult intended, Omiko-san!"

Omi gave a reassuring smile, "It is understandable. I am well aware that my family's relations with the Suns have been rather strained at best."

Parvati grimaced and continued. "That is one way to describe it, yes. But...during the First Succession War, when we were reeling, as the Dragon thrust to the gates of New Avalon while the Capellans gobbled up worlds...it turned very ugly. People of Asian ethnicity were hounded as 'enemy agents' and 'traitors', and sometimes attacked by mobs. Then the news came about Kentares..."

Now it was Omi's turn to go pale and make her own sour face. While the subject of the Kentares Massacre ordered by then-Coordinator Jinjiro Kurita was glossed over in the official histories of the Combine by being described as 'Fedrat propaganda and lies', as the Keeper of the House Honor Omi knew the truth. She had read the actual eyewitness accounts of the Massacre in the secret archives of the Order of the Five Pillars, along with the scathing diary entries penned by Keeper Izumi Kurita as Jinjiro Kurita ordered the murder of an innocent planet for vengeance for his father's death on Kentares. "I...see, Parvati-san," she whispered in a tightly controlled voice.

"When the news of Kentares hit New Avalon...a mob formed, and marched on Byodo-in, and put it to the torch, beating and killing the monks who prayed for the souls of their attackers as they were brutalized. It took over an hour for the police to manage to quell the riot and allow firefighters to quench the flames."

Omi shivered, staring at the beautiful carved wooden buildings of the Buddhist shrine. "How terrible."

Parvati whispered, "Yes, it was. First Prince John Davion stepped in to call for an end to the attacks on innocent citizens. He visited the surviving monks, along with the head of the New Avalon Catholic Church and the Chief Rabbi of Avalon City, as well as his son and grandson." Parvati pointed through the window as their car stopped in a cordoned off parking spot for the 'Baroness Murasaki Tanaka of Ozawa'. "He stood there, where you see the torii gate with the fox statues on either side with the still smouldering main hall behind him as his words were broadcast across the Suns, and explained to the citizens that the Combine was the true enemy, not their own fellow citizens. Prince John stated that this madness was a stain on the realm's honor, and his own honor as First Prince. He then asked the chief monk of Byodo-in to stand beside him and lead him, his family, and the other clergy in a prayer for the souls of the victims of the Asian Purge. He even paid out of his own personal funds for the rebuilding of the temple, although he would never see it since he was assassinated later in the year. His grandson Prince Paul was the one to represent the Suns at the reconsecration of the temple five years later."

Omi was shocked to her core. To admit wrongdoing and show himself at fault publicly in such a manner was unthinkable for the Coordinator. She knew how desperate the situation was for the Suns in that hour and how close to victory the Arm of the Dragon had come, only distracted by Jinjiro's madness from storming the capital. The Suns were fighting for their life, with all resources turned toward the battlefield...and yet the First Prince elected to try to stop this madness instead of channeling that toward his own ends and his realm's survival. "I...see. I would have liked to meet Prince John. Such magnanimity of spirit is rare among rulers."

Parvati nodded as several plainclothes security personnel and Shin Yodama exited the other car to secure the area. "It is. Unfortunately, Prince John's reputation is tarnished by his actions as the Star League fell and then the First Succession War. A string of military defeats does not sit well for Davions in the history books, especially since Prince Paul was one of our most brilliant commanders. To be fair to John, it was a systemic failure, I can assure you. DMI missing the signs of your surprise attack into the Draconis March is a case study in intelligence blunders that we have to study both to see what we did wrong then and as a warning about how important it is to get it right."

Omi nodded. "True, we should learn the lessons that those who went before us can teach. Thank you for escorting me to the Ōmisoka celebration. If it allowed for visitors to assist the monks in ringing the bonshō bell 108 times to cleanse the listener of the 108 human sins and worldly desires such as anger, regret, and sadness, I would like you and Yodama-san to be with me as we swing the timber to strike the bell."

Kommandant Parvati gave a grin and opened the limousine door. "It would be my pleasure, Omiko-san. After all, you are my assignment now, by direct order of Princess Katherine no less. I need to do something to justify the promotion that she requested for me!"

FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #262 on: 05 July 2018, 13:37:36 »
More!

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #263 on: 06 July 2018, 03:55:41 »
Nice cultural piece, thanks
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #264 on: 15 July 2018, 08:17:54 »
Yo panzerfaust, I've been missing your fantastic posts over on OBT. Believe you left off with the bloodbath on Luthien.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #265 on: 30 July 2018, 12:18:12 »
January 5th, 3057
Situation Room of the Fox’s Den
New Avalon
Federated Commonwealth

Katherine Morgan Steiner-Davion looked on with interest as the briefer, a nervous young Hauptmann, briefed the very experienced (and very high-ranking) personages on the progress of both the Marik-Liao offensive. He was using a clear, meter long pointer to call attention to various battlegrounds throughout the Sarna March on a flat representation of a holomap.  Volunteers my ass, that is a useful little fig leaf, Corrine. I am going to remember that when the time comes for me to settle accounts.

“..we expect that Clover Spear will jump off on its third and final wave on or about the 10th of January, and orders have been cut to send back several RCTs already. Among them are the 7th Crucis Lancers, the Assault Guards, Hansen’s Roughriders, and the Grey Death Legion. The plan is they will form the nucleus of the force that will form one of the prongs of ACTIVE PANTHER.”

Katherine’s ears perked up. “ACTIVE PANTHER? Jackson, you have not mentioned this in previous briefings. I don’t like being kept in the dark.”

“My apologies your highness, I don’t like presenting plans before they are ready.” Jackson Davion rose and walked over to the young Hauptmann and whispered something in his ear that made him turn white. He then took the pointer and the Hauptmann left in an unseemly hurry. His next meeting with Marshal Davion will not be a pleasant one.

“My apologies your Highness, no obfuscation was intended. We have a rule here at the Den, “no operations plan before its time, and to be honest, Active Panther is a bit rough.”

“Who instituted that rule? It seems a bit easy to abuse?” Katherine inquired, some of her earlier ire satiated, but a warning tone still present in her voice.

“Your father, Your highness.”

Katherine gasped in embarrassment. “Oh, well, knowing Daddy, he had a damn good reason for it. Ok, well the cat is well and truly out of the bag, so tell me of Active Panther? And how rough is this plan?”

“Extremely. Your highness, all we have really is a rough concept of operations, and it will depend on the cooperation of foreign powers.”

“St. Ives?” Katherine inquired.

“Exactly and considering the last time this was presented to the SIMC General Staff back in 3045, Candace Liao herself balked at this, it’s one of the reasons we are less than confident about it.”

“I suspect times have changed, Jackson. Now, tell me, what is the basics of the plan?”

“It’s brutally simple really. We pin down Capellan forces in the Sarna March with a drive towards Capella, or in in this case, Sarna. We know they’ll fight hard for it because a) they’ll have to, and b) they have already committed the lion’s share of their reserve to reinforce their efforts on digging in on the worlds they have already taken. Then, we launch two more prongs. One is through the Zilang salient, designed to cut the Confederation in two, and take Grand Base and Menke, crippling the remainder of Capellan war production. The third prong? Direct from St. Ives, right for Sian.”

“So, other than the usual reluctance by St. Ives to get involved in the Capellan mud pit, why did St. Ives balk?”

“Our casualty projections for Sian alone…Percy, pull up slide four.”

Katherine’s face turned white at the numbers “250,000 dead? On our side? Holy Christ!”

“And that’s a lot to ask either of our nations, especially one as small as St. Ives. Thus, we’ve been trying to refine the plan a bit before we presented it to you.”

“Sweet Jesus. Clover Spear’s been a relative cakewalk thus far, we lose 250,000 just for Sian alone, that’s going to have angry crowds in front of the palace calling for all our heads, and rightfully so. I understand your problem, Jackson. If I may ask, what factors are contributing to such high numbers?”

“We expect near fanatical resistance from all the Capellan defenders, and more than a few civilians, as well as the Capellan to utilize every special weapon they have. Not to mention, there could be unknown factors in play as well.”

“Like what?”

“Like the fact that as of last week, we have lost track of both Blakist divisions on the Capellan front. We don’t know where the hell they are. And to be honest, that worries me.” Jackson stroked his beard for emphasis.

“I don’t know a person in this room who isn’t concerned by that, Jackson. Quintus, any ideas?”

“We’re running down every lead we have, your Highness, but it’s not easy with the Blakists.”
Katherine nodded. “Alright, I am giving a tentative go to ACTIVE PANTHER. But I want those Blakist divisions found and found fast. I promised vengeance. And considering a favorite author of mine once said ‘Vengeance is like Ice Cream’? Well, call me the Good Humor lady. Only, I am not laughing. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Today’s briefing has put a smile on my face, first in a while I must say. I must go visit my brother…”
January 5th, 3057
Secure Wing
New Avalon General Hospital
New Avalon, Crucis March

“I am sorry, Victor-san. Your life has been ripped from you, in a way..so cruel.” Omi stated, her sorrow for her beloved’s fresh news.

“Omi, as my father used to say. ‘Shit Happens’. I wish it wasn’t this in particular. The arm, I could have dealt with…but this? To know a part of my life is over, just like that…that is the part that is particularly painful. Wasn’t enough those bastards took my parents, and 6000 of my other subjects, but now, my career as a ‘Mechwarrior? I guess the hits really do keep on coming?” Victor’s attempt at a one-armed shrug was still not what he would have liked, but he did what he could, what with the bandages around his stump, and the sling.

Victor had had a busy schedule, physical therapy, consultations with doctors, and visits by all sorts of personages. Katherine had told him about their parents, with Omi present. Victor had never been much on tears, but he sobbed like a baby when he’d heard the news. He’d wanted to get back into the cockpit as soon as he could, leading his nation from the front, like a good ruler should, but then came the next blow:

Victor would never pilot a Battlemech again.

It had happened during a routine “skullcap” test where he was like any recruit being considered for battlemech training, asked to make a 1/72nd Battlemech move via a crude nerohelmet. He’d given himself a tonic-clonic seizure instead. An MRI and and EEG later, the results confirmed it. The head injury had caused a form of epilepsy, and the strain of piloting a ‘Mech could potentially kill him.  Even with all the strides in neuroscience that had occurred because of neurohelmets, and other Battlemech-related technologies, epilepsy was still a scourge, and was not able to be treated except through medication, diet, and rest.

“They have done all they can, love. Riva Allard herself consulted on this, and if she says we must live with it, then that’s it. Hey, I may be named after my Uncle Ian, but, maybe this is the universe’s way of saying it’s time for me to grow up and hang up the damn spurs.”

Omi nodded “My love, if you can endure, then so can I, at least we know other parts work.” Omi’s smile turned a bit playful at the last remark.
Victor shook his head. “You are going to attack me when they let me out of the body and fender shop, aren’t you?”

Omi nodded, this time, her grin was in full flower.

“If your family saw you?”

“They would approve and wish you strength and for us to produce many grandchildren..especially my grandfather.” Omi stated, her brows furrowing and her smile turning into a smirk as she leaned over and kissed Victor.

“I will admit, you being here has made this all a hell of a lot easier to bear.”Victor said, his hands cupping Omi’s face.

Omi whispered “We are each other’s keeper..in mind, heart, body, and soul. And we will always be so.”

Ryan Steiner’s Private Drawing Room
Ducal Palace
Summer, Isle of Skye
January 9th, 3057

“BASTARDS!” Ryan Steiner was fuming. First, the indignity of the vaunted AFFC not hunting down and destroying the clanner bastards who had raided his worlds, the fact that they are mine by marriage is only a small detail. And now, this. The AFFC had no intention, according to a man of his on Nondi’s staff, of driving onward to retake worlds from the damn Wolves!

He threw his tumbler full of MaCallan 15 year into the fireplace, and the glass broke with a loud shatter as the contents were consumed by the flames.

“Surely we cannot convince one good son of Skye to do something about this?”

“I am sorry my liege, but our man on Nondi’s staff confirms it. There is to be no war with the Wolves. Tamar is to be left-“ Hauptmann General Harrison Von Frisch, commanding general of the 4th Skye Rangers RCT, and nominal head of the Skye Rangers, was Ryan Steiner's man, body and soul. The weasel tone in his voice was all but proving it, much to Frisch's chagrin.

“Tamar is to be left nowhere, but to us! Harrison, tell me, how many mercenary units do we have on retainer?”

“Four regiments, my liege, the Dragonslayers, whom have enough reasons to hate this faux ‘Commonwealth.’ Eriksson's Einherjar, of whom our money has rebuilt to a full regiment over the last four years, and the Crater Cobras, whom recently left Marik service, and would love a chance to make a splash like this.”

“Good Harrison, good, plus our own regiments? Yes?” Ryan Steiner stroked his chin, conspiratorially.

“Yes, my liege. Give us four months, and we could drop on Tamar with a decent chance of taking the place.” Harrison stated, a bit of pride leaking into his voice when the subject of "his" troops came up.

Ryan Steiner smiled cruelly. “This is good. We shall present the Commonwealth with a fait accompli. Either they reinforce our regiments, and show whom the real Steiners are? Or, they let us die, and risk another rebellion back home as well as in Tamar. This has much potential, Harrision. Send the messages and get the ball rolling. I think it is time we gave the Wolves their eviction notice.”

Harrison nodded, and inexpiably, the night grew just a bit colder indeed.

« Last Edit: 31 July 2018, 09:39:16 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #266 on: 30 July 2018, 13:34:19 »
GoodRyan is going to off himself.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #267 on: 30 July 2018, 13:44:52 »
Ryan going to have a visit from Loki I expect

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #268 on: 31 July 2018, 10:49:56 »
My bet is he drops on Tamar and Natasha gets him

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #269 on: 24 August 2018, 09:48:09 »
Khan’s Office, Steel Viper Compound

Katyusha City, Strana Mechty

Clan Space

January 6th, 3057

“It is confirmed, Waltrip, quiaff?” Khan Perigard Zalman queried of his impromptu “intelligence officer”. Waltrip was an older warrior whom had been in Zalman’s sibko, but whom had not quite been the ristar everyone had thought he would be. Zalman prized his judgement, and his counsel, which except for the debacle on Waldorff, which I gave the order for, so it is hardly worth holding against Waltrip, he had been a pretty good intelligence liaison to the Khan.

“Aff my Khan, it is, the Federated Commonwealth is not even bothering to disguise their intentions this time. Not that I fear, we can do much about them..not after Waldorff.” Waltrip’s reedy frame, with an age induced stoop jumped slightly as he exclaimed each word, his high cheekbones and thin face giving him a look of a warmed-over corpse.

Khan Zalman rose from his desk, it was made of the finest Oak from the finest Arcadian hardwoods, with a top of marble taken from the upland mines of New Kent. The marble had inlaid designs of Steel Vipers chasing the sigils of other clans around the desk. Zalman like to look at the design to soothe his nerves after a bad day. It seems I have had more than a few of those of late.

“When do we expect the next wave to commence?” Zalman inquired, the exasperation evident in his voice.

“Sometime in the next 7 to 10 days, my Khan. And we cannot stop it, not at all.” Waltrip stated flatly.

“You have been quiet, Ahmed? Any suggestions?” Zalman turned to the balding, bulky figure wearing Steel Viper issue fatigues leaning against the far wall, his arms folded over his chest and his ankles crossed.

Ahmed exhaled “My Khan, we are at a crossroads. The Falcons are on their way to the inevitable darkness. They have proven themselves a weak clan in the end, and we should not emulate them. There will be other opportunities with the Inner Sphere, but to allow ourselves to be dragged into their folly and allow our clan to be destroyed, along with theirs is stupidity compounded with hubris. I know we have not gotten along in the past-“Zalman nodded at that “-but we must put aside our differences for the good of the Clan, as we have done so in the past.”

“So, Ahmed, I ask again, what do you suggest?” Zalman leaned in his seat towards Ahmed, his dark eyes boring into Zalman as if to suggest. I have no problem killing you right here if you suggest something foolish.

“Withdrawal from the Inner Sphere. Return to the homeworlds and join the feeding frenzy that will soon take place regarding the holdings of the Falcons.”

Zalman leaned back and stroked his chin contemplatively. Ahmed is right. What have we gained from the Inner Sphere? First there was the debacle on Tukayyid, now this even greater calamity. Not to mention all the Spheroids willing to chance certain death just to kill only one of our warriors..and the methods they use? So…unclanlike. Why the need to govern people so obviously mad? No, we are better off amongst our own. That and preserving our Clan is the obvious choice.

“Ahmed, you are right. Give the order to our forces in the Inner Sphere to begin withdrawing upon receipt of orders to do so. If they encounter FedCom forces, they are to resist commensurate with whatever force is needed to escape. Warriors, Military equipment, and supplies have priority. All equipment unable to be withdrawn is to be destroyed, military and civilian.”

“And our civillians, my Khan?” Waltrip inquired in a voice he already knew the answer, yet dreaded hearing it just the same.

“Space available basis, Waltrip, Space available. The rest shall be left to the mercies of the Federated Commonwealth.”

Taken from the daily operational briefing provided to Field Marshal Ranier Poulin, Supreme Commander of “Operation Clover Spear”, declassified October 9th, 3076

..Due to some communications difficulties, the 3rd Wave of Clover Spear did not jump off until 11 January, 3057. Little to no resistance was met on several Steel Viper worlds where it was expected, that and other information from various sources and methods has now led us to believe that the Steel Vipers have ordered a general withdrawal from the Inner Sphere. Furthermore, we have noted a definitive decline in the morale of Jade Falcon EPWs. If this information is correct, we believe we can speed up the timelines for both the 4th wave, and for the return of Davion units to the Federated Suns State Command to deal with the Capellan offensive into the Sarna and Capellan Marches…

Derf
Attacker: 20th Arcturan Guards RCT, 21st Striker and 151st Light Horse, Eridani Light Horse, 2 Independent Artillery Brigades

Defender: 5th Falcon Regulars, Clan Jade Falcon

Results: The 5th Falcon Regulars grimly dug in around the planetary capitol and awaited the FC taskforce which arrived 5 days after arriving in system. The 5th’s aerospace fighters did what they could, and took a toll of the FC fighter screen, but did not appreciably slow down the FC landings, the FC took their time on Derf, taking the better part of two weeks to encircle and invest the planetary capitol, with the initial break in assault happening under cover of night and concentrated artillery fire via the western suburbs. The block to block fighting was grim and determined and took ten more days before the final Falcon citadel was literally battered down via direct fire from a Long Tom and the survivors, a mixed Binary of Jade Falcon troops, was compelled to surrender. Casualties amongst the Fedcom forces ran about 25% with the 20th Arcturan taking the worst of it.

Baker 3
Attacker: Davion Light Guards RCT, 7th Crucis Lancers RCT, 4 Independent Artillery Brigades

Defender: 305th Assault Cluster

Results: The 305th Assault Cluster fought poorly, failing to engage the Davion units in a week of cat and mouse pursuit across the planet before the unit decamped and headed for Evciler.

Colmar
Attacker: Wolf’s Dragoons (Delta and Epsilon Regiments), 4 Independent Artillery Brigades

Defender: 1st Falcon Jagers and Gubereng Garrison Cluster, Clan Jade Falcon

Results: The Falcons met the Dragoons on their LZs in the Danzo River Valley and came close to overrunning Epsilon Regiment, but the overwhelming firepower advantage the artillery brigades provided made the difference, especially the 56th Artillery Brigade, whose fire proved to be very accurate. This fire broke up attack after attack by the Falcons, by daybreak two days after planetfall, the Falcons surrendered to the battered Dragoons. Epsilon Regiment was soon sent back to Outreach for rest and refit, and the 56th was given the honor of putting Epsilon regiment colors, and the Dragoon patch on their uniforms and equipment for their actions.

Parikoila
Attacker: 25th Arcturan Guards RCT

Defender: None

Results: The FC landing force missed the Steel Viper garrison by just hours and arrived during a full-blown revolt against the collaborationist government left behind. The 25th fell into the role of peacekeeping amongst a populace that was both grateful, and vengeful, with both regiments helping to narrowly avert several attempted massacres of Steel Viper civilians that had been left behind.

Antares
Attacker: 23rd Arcturan Guards RCT

Results: Like Parikoila, the FC troops missed the Steel Viper garrison by hours and spent most of their time policing the now newly liberated world.

Here
Attacker: 26th Lyran Guards RCT, 2 Independent Artillery Brigades

Defender: 14th Falcon Regulars

Results: The 14th was scattered in penny packets that were virtually besieged by a planetary rebellion that trapped most of the packets in their forward operating bases. Morale had been low for some time and thus it took only 10 days for the 26th to clean up the Jade Falcon resistance on Here. In a side note, the 17th Skye Rangers, who were supposed to be part of the operation, never showed up, and are currently listed as missing by the AFFC.

Twycross
Attacker: 1st Davion Guards RCT, 8th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT, 10th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT, Lindon’s Regiment, 4 Independent Artillery Brigades

Results: The FC was expecting a huge Steel Viper presence on Twycross, but upon entry to the system, no evidence of the Vipers was found. The FC force grounded without incident, and quietly assumed control of the once embattled world.

Denzili
Attacker: 2nd Davion Guards RCT, 3 Independent Artillery Brigades

Defender: 9th Talon Cluster, Clan Jade Falcon

Results: The 9th fought a rear guard across the planet for two weeks, then after taking seemingly light losses, they left the world for Evicler.

Butler
Attacker: Grey Death Legion, 3rd Crucis Lancers RCT, 2 Independent Artillery Brigades

Defender: 7th Talon Cluster, Clan Jade Falcon

Results: The 7th fought a determined and brutal action from the start of the campaign, but the unit was overmatched in both numbers and firepower, and at the end of two weeks, the surviving trinary surrendered to FC forces.

Beta VII
Attacker: 1st Aragon Borderers, 1st Federated Suns Armored Cav, Hansen’s Roughriders, 4 Independent Artillery Brigades

Defender: 18th Falcon Regulars, Clan Jade Falcon

Results: The 18th set up their defenses in the remains of the old Commonwealth firebase north of the planetary capital. The attempt to hold out did not last long, after 5 days of heavy bombardment by FC artillery and several probing attacks by the 1st Armored Cavalry, the 18th’s commander was killed in a Trial of Position and the new commander surrendered the unit.

Dompaire
Attacker: 2nd Royal Guards RCT, 3rd Royal Guards RCT, 4 Independent Artillery Brigades

Results: The collaborationist government on Dompaire surrendered without a fight to the overwhelming FC invasion force.

Wolf Land Grab, Part II

Jabuka
Attacker: 11th Wolf Guards, 37th Striker Cluster, Clan Wolf

Defender: 1st Viper Guards, 2nd Viper Guards and 5th Legion, Clan Steel Viper

Results: The Wolves fought a series of duels for the possession of the three Steel Viper Clusters on the planet, and won three of the five trials, winning possession of the Steel Viper units, and then withdrew with their new bondsmen and gear back to Wolf space.

Private Quarters of the Acting Archon Princess

Royal Palace, Avalon City

New Avalon

Crucis March, Federated Commonwealth

January 19th, 3057

Katherine Steiner-Davion smiled as she took another sip of her tea. This is good Earl Grey, I am going to have to get this recipe when I leave here. A smile came unbidden to that last thought as she gingerly put the tea down on the saucer and regarded her guest. Mother and Father must be of two minds concerning whom we have been entertaining..and who my brother is dead set to marry. Thing is, I like this woman. A lot. She’s not your typical Kurita. She’s more…introspective, and a lot less of the “me big warrior” hubris, then again, I got one of those in my own life..god Bless Galen, but he’s not the typical arrogant Mechjock either. I wonder if I got that wrong? Daddy did exude that at times..when mom would give him a mock clouting and let some wind out of his sails. Concentrate, Katherine, it’s time to get the measure of your future sister-in-law.

“Hello Omi, I wanted to ask you here at some point because, well, I finally have a bit of breathing room with two wars and all the related instability in the Inner Sphere to have what we call in the Commonwealth..’girl talk’.”

Omi chuckled, her laugh was demure, but somehow had a quality that filled the room. I see why my brother was attracted to her. She has a gentle quality, but with steel underneath. Good. I do not want him getting his own way. “Forgive me, Katherine-chan, if I may call you that?”

Katherine simply nodded. “You are amongst friends here. I just have to know..what do you see in my brother? Not that he isn’t a great guy..but I’ve seen him well, at his lesser moments..many of them I am willing to share.” Katherine punctuated that last with another bit of mirthful laughter.

“Please do, he is a bit serious most of the time. Especially so since his injury.” Omi’s head lowered, and a frown crossed her face.

“That won’t do. Tell him his younger sister remembers the time he put a toad in her bed and has been waiting for a chance to retaliate. That and she remembers he has a fear of spiders. But seriously, how is he doing?”

“Physically, well as can be, Katherine-chan. Emotionally? Victor is as good at hiding his emotions like any of the men in my family…were.” The frown deepened as Omi remembered her dead brother and father and tears formed in her eyes.

Great going Katherine, you’re doing more harm than good. Christ, why am I so damn bad at this? Katherine winced at that last thought. “Please forgive me Omi, I did not mean to cause you pain.”

Omi shook her head “Shigata-nai, Katherine-chan. My emotions are a bit raw and well..my sleep has been irregular. Your intelligence apparatus has been very forthcoming about the state of my people back in the Combine. I am doing what I can to rally my people, but..most of the DCMS is content to rally around the pretender, as they blame my father for the loss of Luthien to the Jaguars.”

“Rather unfair, that.” Katherine nodded. “Think we both have had a measure of the weight of the world on our shoulders. Both of us having jobs we clearly didn’t want, nor ask for. But yes, I do believe we need a break. And that’s what I wanted to ask you about? I have some ideas to endear you to the people of the Commonwealth. My brother loves you, and between our interaction, and the reports I do get from Kommandant Pavrati, whom I think you share a friendship with? Yes, I do think you are more than worthy of my brother. He’s frankly lucky to have you, the big lunk head.”

Omi giggled. “He is. But aren’t all the men in our lives fortunate?”

Katherine nodded “They are. But they’ll never admit it. Now, phase one of my little plan to make the Commonwealth see reason about you two, and get you a new wardrobe..seeing as you have little more than what you left Luthien with, is a little thing I like to call…”retail therapy!”. Omi, I need a break too, I am seeing the casualty figures in my mind every day, and I imagine the faces and the families behind them. Simply put, we need out of this stuffy old place before the weight of the history buries us both and we’re no good to anyone.”

“But Katherine-chan, I must inform you that my funds..are a bit limited..”

Katherine shook her head, reached into her dress and whipped out a plastic credit card with the Fist and Sun sigil of the Commonwealth on a black background. “Tsk, Tsk, I am a Federated Commonwealth Express Black Select member, sweetie..being the queen has SOME perks you know! Now, let’s get Kommandant Pavrati in here, get some proper disguises, and show the boys what charge really means? Heh, if Victor and Galen are really good, we’ll get them a small latte from Starbucks.”

Both women collapsed into hysterics at the last thought.

Jade Falcon Enclave

Katyusha City

Strana Mechty

Clan Space,

January 31st, 3057

Marthe Pryde looked at the casualty lists in horror, thousands of warriors dead, captured, missing, or too maimed to be warriors anymore. The once proud touman reduced to nothing. And our freebirth idiot of a khan too racked with indecision to do a damn thing about it. We cannot defeat another absorption vote when it comes. And it will come. If it does come, we must make sure it comes on our terms.

But how? None of the other Clans will afford us, the once powerful Falcons, second only to those whelps in the Wolves, any mercy at all. No, I must consider steps unprecedented in Clan History. At least, to most Clans. The Blood Spirits have shown the way, and unclanlike as it may be, we must arm the lower castes, to give us the numbers, and the time to fight for our survival.

But that fool Crichell, he selects me as the new saKhan, and then ignores every piece of advice I have given him. What I must consider..it smacks of a spheroid concept..a “coup”, to somehow save what is left.

Pryde’s frustration bubbled to the surface and her fists curled, her shortly cut fingernails cutting deep into the flesh of her hands.

“Whomever planned this assault, whomever they are, I swear as my rede, that I will see them dead for what they have done to my trothkin, my Clan, and all of us of the Clans. I ken death for this person.”
FedCom Fan!

Register