Author Topic: Fan XTRO: The Society  (Read 60125 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Fan XTRO: The Society
« Reply #60 on: 15 June 2019, 17:50:27 »
Back to topic  ;)

The Second Edition is ready!
Since the first release I have been getting good feedback about this XTRO, and on the basis of that feedback I have made improvements to the XTRO.
I would also like to thank Dragon Cat, marauder648, and Red Pins again for their help. Without them I would have never been able to reach this quality. 

Here is the new download-link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qhc7yra94uynpq/Society%20XTRO%20v2.pdf?dl=0

Also I have an question for everyone here. Lately I have been pushing to put all the designs into MegaMekLab (for making record sheets) but I have run into some bugs and incomplete features. Also my attempts to insert my custom tech (Vehicular Endo Steel & BA Fusillade) into MML have run into issues.
This means that I can only make an incomplete set of Record Sheets with some flaws, but I can add comments, update this RS book whenever there is a relevant new MML release, and update whenever I succeed into adding in the custom gear to MML. Is this acceptable? Any suggestions for improving this process?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #61 on: 15 June 2019, 18:24:01 »
Happy to help it's a great project you've done exceedingly well with it
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #62 on: 15 June 2019, 18:37:19 »
Nice update. Thank You.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 15 June 2019, 18:57:54 »
very nice.  enjoying reading this. 

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #64 on: 17 June 2019, 14:07:44 »
I liked this very much. Nice seeing new equipment on new units that are not just mechs.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #65 on: 18 June 2019, 05:56:33 »
Yay! Great to see this put out for the public :) I'm glad I could help mate :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 17 August 2019, 12:48:24 »
New Download links:

Added an update of the second edition with some construction and Mech BV corrections:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/02mh3laedla8ti9/Society%20XTRO%20v2-1.pdf?dl=0

ZIP file with the record sheets that can be created at this point, including txt alternatives for designs that can't be printed yet:
Record Sheets (WIP, zip file): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nnorafn2sgekqa/Society%20XTRO%20RS.zip?dl=0
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 17 August 2019, 13:40:56 »
nice

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #68 on: 17 August 2019, 13:59:12 »
New Download links:

Added an update of the second edition with some construction and Mech BV corrections:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/02mh3laedla8ti9/Society%20XTRO%20v2-1.pdf?dl=0

ZIP file with the record sheets that can be created at this point, including txt alternatives for designs that can't be printed yet:
Record Sheets (WIP, zip file): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nnorafn2sgekqa/Society%20XTRO%20RS.zip?dl=0
I've added a additional page to fan wiki for Battletech for your book.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 17 August 2019, 14:02:32 »

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #70 on: 13 September 2019, 19:15:21 »
@Maingunnery
I love the Cover!!!
the painting are great!
The LRM-AV is cool
i even love the reuse of classical Mech Types
The Haze & Pulsar are my favorits of the day

but the Gatekeeper i think should be not a remodel it should be a Configuration of the WarHawk.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2019, 11:01:10 by Doy »

grimlock1

• Captain
Re: Re: Fan XTRO: The Society
« Reply #71 on: 23 October 2019, 09:20:48 »
HAG Buckshot ammo made me sit up and take notice.  My long standing gripe with HAG is that A:it can't crack open armor to exploit crit seeking cluster spam, and B: it doesn't produce enough cluster spam to generate reliable TACs/floating crits/head hits. 10 point clusters, on the other hand, will make anything without Hardened or Ballistic armor nervous.   Does it still suffer from the buffs and debuffs for cluster rolls at short and long range?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 23 October 2019, 09:52:26 »
The LAM-AV is cool
LRM-AV, right?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 23 October 2019, 11:04:40 »
Does it still suffer from the buffs and debuffs for cluster rolls at short and long range?
Yes.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #74 on: 11 November 2019, 00:46:14 »
So, I gave a try at adding a bunch of these units to MegaMek (where possible, that is), based on the data given in the XTRO. This brought up a few issues with the TRO you might want to be aware of.

The Hadron B seems to be 4t short. I'm guessing instead of stating it has three extra heat sinks, it's supposed to have seven.

The nose of the Alexandria has three HAG/30s, while the rest of the ship has HAG/40s and the ammunition note only lists HAG/40 ammo. I'm guessing this was a typo.

The Epona Z has a total of 11.5t of equipment in the turret, so it would require a turret ring of at least 1.5t in size. However, the Epona only has a 1t turret ring. The ERSL and LAMS would have to be moved elsewhere.

As a thought, the Rotunda C variant using MGs and Rocket Launchers could to downgrade to a standard engine to complete the more "low tech" image. It would still retain a very respectable 9/14 movement profile with the downgraded weapons.

Don't suppose you could link your MML files, could you?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 11 November 2019, 12:23:12 »

Thanks for checking, blindness to ones own work is a real thing.

The Hadron B seems to be 4t short. I'm guessing instead of stating it has three extra heat sinks, it's supposed to have seven.
You are correct.
The nose of the Alexandria has three HAG/30s, while the rest of the ship has HAG/40s and the ammunition note only lists HAG/40 ammo. I'm guessing this was a typo.
Strange, I don't see this in my files.
The Epona Z has a total of 11.5t of equipment in the turret, so it would require a turret ring of at least 1.5t in size. However, the Epona only has a 1t turret ring. The ERSL and LAMS would have to be moved elsewhere.
The description text was wrong, the ERSL and LAMS are indeed in the front.
As a thought, the Rotunda C variant using MGs and Rocket Launchers could to downgrade to a standard engine to complete the more "low tech" image. It would still retain a very respectable 9/14 movement profile with the downgraded weapons.
That is a very good point, I only gave it an engine upgrade in order for it to have an edge somewhere. What about a fuel-cell?

ps. I have attached a zipfile.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #76 on: 11 November 2019, 22:24:05 »
Hmm, all the years are at the default 3145. Do you have any idea when certain designs should be?

Ok, comparing what I made based on the XTRO and your MML files, I've found a few other discrepancies between the XTRO and the MML files.

On the Alexandria Coreship, the number of docking collars, cargo bay mass, ASF bay doors, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class quarters are all different in the XTRO. In fact, the MML file doesn't even have any steerage class locations. The total mass and crew compliment is also different.

The ammo on the Hadron are all set to "fixed".

On the Hunter Jumpship, the loss of the life boats seems... harsh.

From my understanding of the rules, the Model 98 should have 12 gunners and only 11 officers. There's also not enough quarters for all the BA marines; there's a total of 73 non-officer crew and marines, but only 60 quarters for the non-officer crew.

The Wusun MML file is misspelled to "Wuzun".

The Dyrnwyn A in the XTRO has a remote sensor dispenser, but in the MML they have a Micro PL.

The Gatekeeper A in the MML files has DHS locations that don't match the XTRO. Ammo is found on the LT in the MML files, but not listed there in the XTRO.
The Gatekeeper C in the XTRO file has only three jump jets and nine extra DHS, while the MML file has four jump jets and seven extra DHS.

The Haze D lists a DHS in the CT and RT, but the MML file has them in the legs.

The Hellion Z, Savage Wolf Z, Nova Cat Z, Grand Summoner Z, and Mad Dog Mk IV Z, and the Adder Z are missing in the MML files. As are all the vehicle refits.
Compared to the PDF files you posted earlier (that I somehow missed), I was surprised that you didn't put two of the LRMs on the Mars into sponsons. I thought that's what was meant in the XTRO writeup about moving them to the side.

The Kharon features a hand and lower arm actuator on the right arm in the MML file, despite the image pretty clearly lacking those.

The Rotunda C with the rocket launchers can actually get a 10/15 speed with a fuel cell engine.

Anyway, if you're interested, I fixed up most of the files. I've also renamed some files to match up with MegaMek naming conventions, and also to ensure that the variants of existing designs will automatically load up the original's fluff image (if those are being used).
I've also included a text file with all the perks. Just paste it into your CustomQuirksOverride.txt file.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ugc8m6wrn5ec0v/XTRO_Society.7z/file

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 12 November 2019, 19:02:02 »

Thanks for all your hard work, a bit embarrassing that I overlooked these or forgot to update them, especially for the Alexandria which I had to increase the tonnage to keep the same armor (this was recently changed in the program). Also in general the XTRO pdf has a higher status than the old MML files. I have also seen that were some issues with large aero armor, fixed them in the attached files.

I had an quick look through the files, only the Whisperer prototypes were missing, but MML has issues with sponson turrets.

ps. I have attached an excel with the introduction years.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #78 on: 12 November 2019, 19:35:19 »
You know, if you drop a single tonne of ammo on the Mars (Hull), you can fit the two LRM-15s (and their Artemis V) on the left and right sides into sponson turrets. Setting it straight left and right really limits the firepower that can be used in any one direction.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 12 November 2019, 19:42:53 »
You know, if you drop a single tonne of ammo on the Mars (Hull), you can fit the two LRM-15s (and their Artemis V) on the left and right sides into sponson turrets. Setting it straight left and right really limits the firepower that can be used in any one direction.
That would be worth a minor ammo reduction.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 12 November 2019, 23:30:25 »
So, going over the years for your units, and I was thinking about the dates that were assigned, and I realized I don't really have a context for them. How does your AU differ from the official one? What did the Society do during the Rebellion in your AU? What's the timeline? How many escaped, and where did they go?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 13 November 2019, 15:41:27 »

Everything that happened in canon also happened in the AU, where the AU differs is that the Society was actually bigger and more fragmented, thus only a part of the Society was destroyed (Mostly the geneticists Branch). When the survivors from the homeworlds reached the IS they came back into contact with the local Society cells, and the local ones weren't very happy with the fallout of the rebellion. This lead to talks and eventually a restructuring to prevent such an event from occurring again.

I will go into much further detail in the future as I am writing out a Field Manual whenever I can find the time.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 13 November 2019, 21:42:02 »
In that case, it might make sense to push back completely new designs until a few years after the end of the Rebellion, to account for the fact that the Society was in turmoil and really not in a position to produce new designs.
For instance, from about 3074 (official end of the Society rebellion) until maybe the early 3100s, the only Society production would be refits of existing designs. After the Society manage to settle themselves somewhere (and after the other Clans are no longer on high alert for the Society), they start production of designs like the Pulsar, etc.

IMO, it makes sense that after the spectacular defeat of the rebellion, the remaining Society leaders would decide to lay low for a while as they lick their wounds and make future plans. You could fluff some mechs or aerospace units as being designed during this time, and maybe even seeing a prototype or two, but no production until much later.

Also, it's cool you at least found some use from my Epona and Hephaestus designs. :D

I forgot to mention earlier, but I like that you managed to find space for some Lithium batteries on the Alexandria. Given the backstory on it, it makes even more sense so that it can enact a quick getaway.

Incidentally, is the fragmentation of the Society the reason that the unit naming isn't very coordinated? The original Society designs all had biology-related names (usually relating to diseases), but the ones in your TRO are more general science terms (except for the Dyrnwyn, which looks like it started as a Protomech design).

On another note, I see there's a Hydaspes variant in the pdf pack, but not the MML files. I recreated it based on the PDF, and notice that it's using an XXL engine. This tremendously increases cost for just three tonnes of extra space. It can shave off three tonnes of iATM ammo it it would still have a little more than 11 rounds of continuous fire, plenty for a bunch of streak weapons. This would save the resource-intensive XXL engines for other, more front-line, units.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2019, 00:57:31 by Xeno426 »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 14 November 2019, 16:25:11 »
In that case, it might make sense to push back completely new designs until a few years after the end of the Rebellion, to account for the fact that the Society was in turmoil and really not in a position to produce new designs.
For instance, from about 3074 (official end of the Society rebellion) until maybe the early 3100s, the only Society production would be refits of existing designs. After the Society manage to settle themselves somewhere (and after the other Clans are no longer on high alert for the Society), they start production of designs like the Pulsar, etc.

IMO, it makes sense that after the spectacular defeat of the rebellion, the remaining Society leaders would decide to lay low for a while as they lick their wounds and make future plans. You could fluff some mechs or aerospace units as being designed during this time, and maybe even seeing a prototype or two, but no production until much later.
Indeed also it has been mostly implemented if you look into the timeline, the Mech as such are done well into the Dark Age, and the early stuff was either variants/configs or standard versions of earlier prototypes. Also as you can see the timeline isn't complete, so we can still spread some stuff into it.

Also, it's cool you at least found some use from my Epona and Hephaestus designs. :D
They fit in quite well, any specific ideas for their into years for those configs?

Incidentally, is the fragmentation of the Society the reason that the unit naming isn't very coordinated? The original Society designs all had biology-related names (usually relating to diseases), but the ones in your TRO are more general science terms (except for the Dyrnwyn, which looks like it started as a Protomech design).
The biological names were because the geneticists had most of the power, in this AU it is far more balanced leading to more general science based names.
There are a few exceptions such as the Dyrnwyn, as the designers couldn't agree with each other, allowing the test pilots to name it.

On another note, I see there's a Hydaspes variant in the pdf pack, but not the MML files. I recreated it based on the PDF, and notice that it's using an XXL engine. This tremendously increases cost for just three tonnes of extra space. It can shave off three tonnes of iATM ammo it it would still have a little more than 11 rounds of continuous fire, plenty for a bunch of streak weapons. This would save the resource-intensive XXL engines for other, more front-line, units.
Good point, these would also be normally deployed close to their carriers, and a lot can't survive an entire salvo.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 17 November 2019, 14:02:22 »
Indeed also it has been mostly implemented if you look into the timeline, the Mech as such are done well into the Dark Age, and the early stuff was either variants/configs or standard versions of earlier prototypes. Also as you can see the timeline isn't complete, so we can still spread some stuff into it.

They fit in quite well, any specific ideas for their into years for those configs?
Both could have been made during the Rebellion.

The biological names were because the geneticists had most of the power, in this AU it is far more balanced leading to more general science based names.
There are a few exceptions such as the Dyrnwyn, as the designers couldn't agree with each other, allowing the test pilots to name it.
Well, if you want any chemistry name ideas, that's something I can help with. I'm a chemist. :D
Porphyrin would be a good one.
They're found in a lot of biological compounds, notably in chlorophyll and hemoglobin. So if you want a name that suggests bleeding, there you go.

Good point, these would also be normally deployed close to their carriers, and a lot can't survive an entire salvo.
Heck, in that case you could probably shave off a tonne of fuel.

There's one bit of tech that would be perfect for the Society: AES. It improves both weapon and attack rolls for arms it's in, and when in the legs it improves piloting rolls. For a force that has to deal with a lot of poor quality pilots, AES would greatly help close those gaps. There's also not a lot of official mech designs using them.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 19 November 2019, 18:21:42 »
Well, if you want any chemistry name ideas, that's something I can help with. I'm a chemist. :D
I am currently not planning on adding more designs, I would make an exception to complete donations (MattPlog art, fluff, design).
However.... I am very open to suggestions for names of Front-line forces. 

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 24 November 2019, 16:33:20 »
I am currently not planning on adding more designs, I would make an exception to complete donations (MattPlog art, fluff, design).
I've been thinking of getting a commission for my Trypano, but I just spent close to $1000 on the kickstarter, so I'm tapped out for a while. :D

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 20 November 2020, 13:32:02 »

Something related that I am working on:

[The Next Technological Jump]

Every great technological jump has occurred after consolidation of knowledge from a period of extensive experimentation. Clan technology was the result of the last technological jump, in which the scattered knowledge of the Star League was brought together allowing for early Clan scientists to quickly make that massive jump. 
   The last century has seen a huge amount of experimentation as various factions tried everything to keep or create an edge. Since our retreat to the Inner Sphere we have been busy with preparing for the next technological jump by gathering, linking and disseminating data. Partly as a result of our actions there have been a growing number of hints that humanity is on the precipice of the next jump.
   The possible rise of the IlClan under the Clan Wolf alliance is the perfect tool with which the Society can trigger the technological jump. But an IlClan under the Mongrel Jade Falcons will trigger a reign of destruction not seen since the worst days of the Succession Wars. As such the Society has dedicated a lot of resources for secretly aiding Clan Wolf, however should our work go to waste then the Society will have no choice but to either retreat from the Inner Sphere or to openly attack the Falcons. The latter option being a means of last resort, as a large scale open attack did not go well for the Society last time it was tried.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #88 on: 20 November 2020, 17:28:29 »
Sound interesting - will it be Society based, or do the rest of them get a chance to catch up?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 20 November 2020, 18:43:46 »
Sound interesting - will it be Society based, or do the rest of them get a chance to catch up?
It is part of an effort to update my Society AU from 3145 to the beginning of the IlClan era. For this I had to properly define their primary motivation, which is triggering the technological jump and all content and actions of the Society FM is focused on that. This project has seen a lot of delays as my muse has been quite fickle, so I keep bouncing between projects, or if I try to force myself I end up producing bland stuff. But it is not so bad as this project has been waiting of the IlClan and related material to come out for me to review and gain inspiration from.

I will not introduce any new technology in a Society FM, I will trust TPTB to give the IlClan something of that nature.
So the Society would just be a secret background faction that is stimulating the jump. In fact here is another bit about some lostech:

[Society Lostech]
   The true nature of the Project Rome is completely unknown to all, the Society cell tasked with this project was extremely secretive about their work, the only thing that is know about it is that it concerned improving WarShip defenses and that the prototype was installed in the Texas-class Ancestral Home. The entire cell was onboard the Ancestral Home when it performed a suicidal misjump to destroy the Clan Steel Viper flagship. This misjump destroyed the ship to such a degree that no samples or even scrap could be recovered, thus for the Society it has achieved the status of Lostech.
   There have been multiple theories of what the technology might have been. One partial report suggests a system that uses energy to increase the performance of existing armor, hardening it as it were. Another theory suggest that they invented an capital scale interception system that disrupts capital attacks just above the armor, which would match eye witness descriptions of seeing hits flow over the hull. Sadly the Society does not have the right sensors readings to either prove or disprove any existing theory.

Register