Author Topic: IS Unit Insignia (interpretations and alterations)  (Read 62386 times)

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
IS Unit Insignia (interpretations and alterations)
« on: 20 July 2015, 18:26:32 »

PART I
(Great Houses)

For Part II see here.

(Disclaimer: many of these insignia incorporate other people's works, even if usually altered, which is listed in the sources in Part II).

Lyran Commonwealth

Lyran Intelligence Corps

Loki

Lohengrin

Diplomatic Guard

Propaganda

Norns

Interpretation: I changed the Steiner fist in the background to the pattern we see in the older Intelligence Ops HB (which sported different insignia for most of the intelligence agencies), because I like it better than the generic Steiner-logo.

MID

Interpretation: The insignia of the Military Intelligence Department is unknown as of now. I used a shield to set it apart from its civilian counterpart (the LIC). I chose the torch because it is used as symbol by many military intelligence services, including the US forces and the German Bundeswehr. (Interestingly the Bundeswehr intelligence is called MAD - close to MID...).

LCAF

Lyran Guards Brigade

General Changes: the colours of the shield have been changed to the parade colours of the Lyran Guards, ensuring a common look shared by all the brigades’ regiments.  Also whenever possible I included the number of the regiment in Roman numerals. (I got that idea from the old Tenth Lyran Guards insignia, and I liked it).

3rd Lyran Guards

6th Lyran Guards

10th Lyran Guards (pre-Victorian "Thundering Elephants" and Victorian "Revenants")

Changes: the crown signals the service of many Archons in this unit.

11th Lyran Guards

... ...

Alternative versions: Being the St. Georges’ Regiment, it seemed logical to have a traditional St. George image. The other alternative version features the wolfsangel, an ancient German tool to hunt wolves. Since the 11th LG have been fighting Clan Wolf a lot and is called the ‘Wolf Hammers’ I thought the wolfsangel is an appropriate device.

12th Lyran Guards

Interpretation: I do not know if there is an official version. Being a resurrected regiment like the 8th I designed the insignia similarly, quartering the shield and choosing crossed weapons. This time it is two flanged maces, because maces are quite underrepresented imho.

14th Lyran Guards

24th Lyran Guards

26th Lyran Guards

32nd Lyran Guards

Changes: a white flag does not do it for me, even a bloodstained one, so I used the brigade’s flag with heavy blood stains.

Arcturan Guards Brigade

11th Arcturan Guards

15th Arcturan Guards

17th Arcturan Guards

19th Arcturan Guards

20th Arcturan Guards

23rd Arcturan Guards

25th Arcturan Guards

26th Arcturan Guards

Interpretation: I do not know if there is an official version. The Arcturan Guards often use mammals for their insignia (bear, tiger, lion, wolfhound, ram), so I figured a lynx would be a good choice.

Alliance/Commonwealth Guards Brigade

1st Hesperus Guards

4th Alliance Guards

2nd Bolan Guards

Interpretation: I do not know if there is an official version. The official insignia of the Alliance Guards (the predecessors) strangly looked a lot like the FedCom units they originally were, including the Suns' imagery. Being attached to Bolan now, I think they may sport the stylized Bolan-planet like the Jaegers.

1st Buena Guards

Interpretation: Using the same logic, this one featured the stylized Buena-planet as background. The colour is conjectural.

2nd Buena Guards

Lyran Regulars

5th Lyran Regulars

11th Lyran Regulars

Royal Guards Brigade

1st Royal Guards

Changes: I gave them more traditional looks, as usually found in heraldry. I think that fits their elevated, noble status within the LCAF.

2nd Royal Guards

3rd Royal Guards

Regional Militias

Changes: The Lyran Militias use the Steiner fist and the tri-letter designation as their insignia, I just gave it a little more detail and background.

Coventry CPM

Tikonov Republican Guards Brigade

1st Tikonov Republican Guards

2nd Tikonov Republican Guards

3rd Tikonov Republican Guards

Hesperus Guards Brigade

Changes: The Hesperus Guards insignia is simply a modified version of the original (see here). It has flat colours and proportions making the eagle a little slimmer. I did not do much, since I like the original concept, but I like it soo much better now. ...and I had to resist the urge to straighten out the wings.  O:-)

Skye Rangers Brigade

4th Skye Rangers

Changes: Rather than a modern, accurate image of Britain, I chose the oldest known map of Britain made by Ptolemy.

10th Skye Rangers

Interpretation: I do not know if there is a canon logo, so I chose the St. Andrew's Cross in honour of the nickname (The Black Watch) and because it looks like a Roman 10.

17th Skye Rangers

4th Skye Guards

Other Commands

1st Somerset Strikers /// Steiner Strikers

Kaumberg Planetary Guard

Interpretation: this is based on the Kaumberg planetary flag.

101st Tharkad Lancers

Interpretation: The Tharkad Lancers are a unit featured in the German novel "Sturm auf Arc-Royal" (see my review here). They are said to have a silver knight on a white horse as insignia, however I added some elements from the flag of Tharkad and the number 101.

Academies

Nagelring

Buena War College

Noble Houses

The Duke of Duran (Frederick Steiner)

Federated Suns

MIIO

Information Gathering Division

Covert Operations Division

Bureau of Internal Investigations

Counterintelligence Division

DMI

MI1 Command

MI2: Analysis and Speculation

MI3: Electronic Information Gathering

MI4: Covert Operations Division (the Stealthy Foxes)

MI5: Counter-Insurgency

MI6: Special Forces (the Rabid Foxes)

AFFS

Robinson Brigade

1st Robinson Rangers

2nd Robinson Rangers

3rd Robinson Rangers

1st Robinson Strikers

4th Robinson Strikers

5th Robinson Strikers

Avalon Hussars Brigade

Alternate version: includes a sabre for being a Hussars brigade, rather than a medieval broadsword.

11th Avalon Hussars

17th Avalon Hussars

22nd Avalon Hussars

41st Avalon Hussars

Periphery March Guards Brigade

1st Periphery March Guards

2nd Periphery March Guards

4th Periphery March Guards

Interpretation: the insignia is not described; from the name "Rhine" however I deduced river imagery.

5th Periphery March Guards

Federated Commonwealth Corps

1st FedCom Regiment (4th Succession War era and post 3055)

Independent Commands

Kathil Uhlans

Interpretation: The insignia was never shown but described in Lethal Heritage ("embroidered on a gold background in black thread, the head and mane of a roaring lion"). I added three cavalry lances to reflect their Uhlan-designation and to honour the three original elements from which the Uhlans were raised, i.e. the Davion Light Guards, the 5th Syrtis Fusiliers, and the Kathil CMM. The water seperating the lion and the lances is an homage to Kathil's sigil.

Capellan Dragoons

Task Force Navarre

Academies

NAIS Military College

Capellan Confederation

Maskirovka (pre Xin-Sheng)

Maskirovka Cappelan Operations Branch

CCAF

McCarron's Armored Cavalry Brigade

4th McCarron's Armored Cavalry

5th McCarron's Armored Cavalry

Warrior Houses

House Hiritsu

House Matsukai

Tikonov Guards

2nd Tikonov Guards

4th Tikonov Guards

Changes: Instead of a halberd I used a bardiche for the 4th Tikonov Guards. The bardiche is an eastern Slavic weapon which was sometimes used in combination with a musket. So a Tikonov Guards symbol that has a musket in it is imo better combined with a bardiche than with a halberd. Both are polearms anyway.

Sian Dragoons

3rd Sian Dragoons

9th Sian Dragoons

11th Sian Dragoons

Capellan Defense Force

1st Capellan Defense Force

7th Capellan Defense Force

Capellan Chargers

4th Capellan Chargers

Victoria Rangers

5th Victoria Rangers

Other Units

Justine's Grenadiers

Capellan Cuirassiers

Interpretation: the mailed fist holding an arrow is in the centre, but surrounded by all six commonalities of the Confederation, reflecting the pan-Capellan origin. Two of them are special: the training is based on the St. Ives Lancers, so the armoured hand comes from St. Ives; Chesterton is lost but not forgotten, so it is grayed out. I though about a black band, but that did not look good.

Chesteron Guardians

Interpretation: no canon insignia is known, so this is based on their nickname "the Scarlet Pimpernels". And I like morning stars.

Andurien Hussars

Interpretation: I merely flattened the colours.

Draconis Combine

DCMS

Genyosha

Sword of Light

Changes: I changed the sword in the Sword of Light to a Katana, because I think it should be a Katana. [... which, however, is wrong]

1st Sword of Light

2nd Sword of Light

5th Sword of Light

8th Sword of Light

New Samarkand Regulars

Proserpina Hussars

1st Proserpina Hussars

Changes: An interpretation of the Blood Limpets based on the original artwork, which already is quite insectoid rather than limpetoid. (And frankly I think that is good since I could not make a threatening limpet). I added Japanese numbers and hope they are correct.

2nd Proserpina Hussars

Changes: No canon insignia is known; called Kurita's Vampires I stuck with the bat imagery of the Third Hussars.

3rd Proserpina Hussars

4th  Proserpina Hussars

Order of the Five Pillars

Sohei (non-canon)

Tennyo

Oniwaka

Shuinsen

Hands on Kannon

Free Worlds League

FLWM

Ducal Guard (Anton Marik)

General Changes: no canon insignia is known. Since Anton Marik declared himself Captain-General of the whole League I found using the League’s eagle appropriate. But as the Guards are sworn in on Anton personally I also included his monogram as equal part of the insignia. The colours have been inspired by Takiro’s suggestion, i.e. purple for Marik, gold for the TH legacy, and black Procyon's genus of nocturnal animals. Consequently the insignia represents a mix of local reference, personal allegiance, and Anton’s claims.

1st Ducal Guards

2nd Ducal Guards

3rd Ducal Guards

4th Ducal Guards

Marik Militia

Interpretation:The insignia are based on the regimental nicknames.

3rd Marik Militia

18th Marik Militia

26th Marik Militia

27th Marik Militia

Regulan Hussars

Interpretation: I am a fan of corporate identity when it comes to brigades, and all the Hussars regiments insignia have the same base, shaped like a 16th century Hungarian shield. Hungary is traditionally home to the Hussars and the FWL has some mild Habsburg-vibes, therefore I thought this worked out well. Due to the strong regional ties of the brigade it made sense to include a simplified Ankh representing the Regulan Fiefs. Otherwise the insignia are very much based on the canonical insignia, albeit rendered more traditionally.

1st Regulan Hussars

4th Regulan Hussars

5th Regulan Hussars

9th Regulan Hussars

Sirian Lancers

1st Sirian Lancers

2nd Sirian Lancers

3rd Sirian Lancers

Independent Commands

Marik Guard

Andurien Rangers (alternate universe)

1st Andurien Rangers

Continued in Part II .
« Last Edit: 09 March 2022, 10:24:32 by Flieger »

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Re: IS Unit Insignia (interpretations and alterations)
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2015, 19:23:05 »
Nice, I like these.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2015, 21:32:00 »
Wow, these are really cool! O0

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2015, 15:41:46 »

PART II
(minor powers, ComStar, Periphery etc.)

Free Rasalhague Republic

KungsArmé

1st Tyr

Changes: the Viking helmet is now a historically more accurate helmet, loosely inspired by the Gjermundbu helmet. Seriously, horns?

3rd Drakøns

4th Drakøns

Interpretation: the insignia of the unit is not known, but I figured the Nordic valknut would be a good symbol.

3rd Hussars

4th Kavalleri

Hanseatic League

Regional Defense Force 1

Marian Hegemony

Legio Prima Victrix

Legio Secunda Cataphractorum

Taurian Concordat

Concordat Commandos

Rim Worlds Republic

Amaris Dragoons Brigade

1st Amaris Dragoons

Changes: I made two alternate versions, both of which use Roman numerals.

4th Amaris Dragoons

99th Amaris Dragoons

141st Amaris Dragoons

832nd Amaris Dragoons

5th Amaris Fusiliers

3rd Amaris Legionnaires

Amaris Liberation Army 1

ComStar and WoB

ROM

Interpretation: The ROM-insignia are based on the older Intelligence Operations Handbook, rather than the more famous renditions from Covert Ops (which I truly detest). However they are only losely based on the Intel Ops HB, and I filled some gaps with the help of general ideas found in Covert Ops (so I did not reject it entirely).

Counterintelligence (Μ/Δ)

Information and Analyses (Μ/Μ)

Internal Obedience (Ρ/Ο)

Covert Operations (Ρ/Ρ)

Security (Μ/Ι)

Special Services

Blake's Wrath (Δ/Ε)

Valkyrie (Δ/Χ)

Diplomatic Operations Branch (Ρ/Γ)

ComGuards

1st Division

2nd Division

11th Division

12th Division

Interpretation: many ComStar divisions changed nickname and insignia after Tukayyid; the 12th is no exception. This represents the insignia before the battle, based on its name "Pure Waveforms"

31st Division

34th Division

39th Division

48th Division

77th Division

91st Division

102nd Division

116th Division

198th Division

214th Division

282nd Division

Interpretation: no canon insignia is known, but being a pre-schism formation the use of Blake's book makes sense imo. The unit fought bravely on Tukayyid, and was destroyed by the Wolfspiders

308th Division

312th Division

379th Division

394th Division

WoBM

General Changes: As I said before, I am not a fan of the blue&red colour combination, which is also used by the hidden divisions of the WoBM (11-39). Both colours are very strong and thus don't go well together. I tried, but was not really satisfied with the results. So I tried something else and reversed the ComGuards scheme using black as base colour instead of white. I added highlights (since black could no longer be used for highlights) and I think it looks ... powerful.

3rd Division

5th Division

9th Division

11th Division

12th Division

16th Division

25th Division

37th Division

Shadow Divisions

Manei Domini

40th Shadow Division

42nd Shadow Division

45th Shadow Division

46th Shadow Division

47th Shadow Division

51st Shadow Division

Mercs

Waco Rangers

Swan's Cavaliers

Black Cats

Interpretation: the badge is almost identical to the canon badge with only subtle changes in proportions. The biggest deviation is the stance of the cat; it now has a typical heraldic attitude for cats (passant guarding). Colours are my guess.

Black Knight Legion

Interpretation: you can easily guess why a red boar’s head was chosen...

Ever-Free

Interpretation: we know the unit sported a broken chain, probably referring to the chain gang missions their founders were forced to perform in service of House Kurita, and to the fact that they were freed. I added the Sword-and-Sun of House Davion, shattering the chain, because the unit owes a lot to the AFFS.

Griffin's Pride

Interpretation: I do not know of any canon insignia, so I decided for the griffin-motif.

Lander's Lancers

Interpretation: I do not know of any canon insignia, so I decided for the the lance-motif.

Pinky's Irregulars

Interpretation: I do not know of any canon insignia, so I chose Pinky from the Animaniacs.

Van Diemen's Demons

Interpretation: I do not know of any canon insignia, so I used a demon...

Black Knights

...        ...   

Interpretation: this was a request by Black_Knyght; red is for the Mechs, blue for the fighters, green for the tanks

Corporate Security Forces and BattleMech

Interpretation: Almost all larger arms producing companies employ a military grade security unit, usually equipped with the products of the company. It is not know if they have any insignia, but I made some. The basic idea is to use the company logo in combination with military and industrial symbols.
The BattleMech insignia take inspiration from present day fighter patches.

Defiance Industries Zeus

Interpretation: Eagle and thunderbolt are symbols of Zeus in the Greek mythology, and they are combined with the Steiner-fist and the colours and logo of Defiance Industries.

Defiance Self-Protection Force (since 3065)

Interpretation: the base is of course the DefHes logo; the sword in front of a cogwheel symbolizes the defence of the factories; the unit was once called "the catamounts", so this animal had to be included; the skull is from the Gray Death Legion. The GDL is honoured for its valiant efforts protecting the DI works against the Skye separatists, and perhaps some of surviving GDL/Brewer's Legion members joined the DSPF. So it makes sense to include their insignia. The overall white and red colour scheme is derived from the paint scheme of the DSPF mechs.

Brewer's Legion

Interpretation: using the Brewer family coat of arms and the GDL logo seemed the best idea for this unit

Coventry Metal Works Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: the combination of cogwheel and swords symbolizes the defence of the factories. Since the CMW logo is round, I put the cogwheel around it, and I think it looks good.

Arc-Royal Mech Works Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: emphasizing the strong regional ties of the ARMW, the SPF insignia is based on the colours of the Arc-Royal coat of arms, even including the chalice. Again, swords and cogwheel symbolize the defence of the factories.

Blackstone Highlanders

Norse Storm Technologies Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: based on the colour scheme of the company logo I added its dominant lightning bolts to the insignia of the SFP, which also features the sword and cogwheel combination. 

Erprobungskommando BSW (Field Test Unit Bushwacker)

Interpretation: this is my idea for a TharHes unit testing the Bushwacker in the field, against the Clans. (The unit's members might do so while serving in regular LCAF outfits). The compass rose on a gold ground is based on the bagde of MWO's Bushwacker. I also used the cogwheel and sword combination representing TharHes's own military forces.

Luthien Armor Works Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: being a Japanese-inspired culture, I refrained from using western imagery like broadswords and cogwheel. However I used the Katana and Wakizashi combination to symbolize the military mission of the SPF.

BBP Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: again I used a Katana, but this time carried by an eagle (irl the insignia of the 10th Japanese Army Division) to symbolize the aero-space fighters and Dropships produced by BBP.

Earthwerks Security (FWL)

Earthwerks Security (CapCon)

Earthwerks Security (FedSuns)

Pirates

New Belt Pirates

Sources:
https://commons.wikimedia.org
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/Stars/Heraldry_SVG_Images/index.htm
http://www.123freevectors.com/elephant-head-vector-graphics/
https://warosu.org/tg/image/al5aIjPVfwMHt695zl-zMg
http://clubpenguin.wikia.com/wiki/File:Boot.png
http://www.clipartbest.com/clipart-LTKEX9qTa
http://orig04.deviantart.net/ceb0/f/2013/158/3/a/hole_3_by_artsy_antics-d686fvy.png
http://pngimg.com/upload/skeleton_PNG5556.png
http://www.228ibr.com/index.php?topic=16.0
http://www.chuckbauman.com/skulls-airbrushing-stencils.htm
http://viereth.deviantart.com/art/Grey-Death-Legion-Insignia-272903860
http://raudulvheraldry.ru/ArmGold/AG%20HERALDRY%20CLIPART/SHIELD%20SUPPORTERS/Cat/SHIELD%20SUPPORTERS.htm
http://screwfaceromeo.deviantart.com/art/N-58-Carbine-301682509
« Last Edit: 13 October 2017, 16:01:13 by Flieger »

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2015, 06:55:29 »
A few updates (still LCAF), in the first post:

Coventry CPM and the Royal Guards Brigade (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

« Last Edit: 24 July 2015, 18:16:26 by Flieger »

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2015, 18:33:57 »
Added a few more:

Commonwealth Guards (2nd Bolan, 1st & 2nd Buena), Lyran Guards (24th & 26th), Acturan Guards (26th), Lyran Regulars (11th).

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2015, 20:48:02 »
Another add-on:

LIC (Loki, Lohengrin), 15th Arcturan Guards, 6th Lyran Guards, Tikonov Republican Guards (1st, 2nd, 3rd); as well as updates to the 10th Lyran Guards and 17th Arcturan Guards,

(I am a fan of the third Republicans...  :) )

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2015, 11:09:38 »
Great work!  O0
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2015, 16:58:30 »
Thank you!

I finally started other houses.  O:-)

The AFFS with the Capellan Dragoons, and the Avalon Hussars (11th, 17th, 22th), including alternate versions, replacing the broadsword with a sabre. I mean they are hussars, they should have a cavalry sabre.

The CCAF with McCarron's Armored Cavalry (4th and 5th). I really like how they turned out.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2015, 18:25:50 »
These are really good.

If you could make them available in a something like a .png format, that would be very cool.   O0

Dav
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2015, 16:38:10 »
Thank you very much!  :)

Unless the forum does some reformat I am not aware of, the files are in the .png-format, with transparency and so on. See here for example:
http://i.imgur.com/s0VMuzc.png

If there are problems with the resizing just ask me, I think I can help (not sure though...  ^-^ ). I can also do signatures etc., if anyone wishes. Doing it for all the insignia would be quite repetitive for me, that is why I did not include them...

Oh, and a small batch of new insignia:
- 10th Lyran Guards (Victorian)
- 41st Avalon Hussars (2 versions)
- HSF RDF 1 (simplified and primarily using the colours of the historical Hanseatic League, white and red)
« Last Edit: 28 July 2015, 16:41:07 by Flieger »

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2015, 10:12:50 »
So today is intelligence day. And Davion day.  ^-^

The new updates includes insignia for:

- MIIO (Federated Suns civilian intelligence service)
  • Information Gathering Division
  • Covert Operations Division
  • Bureau of Internal Investigations
  • Counterintelligence Division

- DMI (Federated Suns military intelligence service)
  • MI1: Command
  • MI2: Analysis and Speculation
  • MI3: Electronic Information Gathering
  • MI4: Covert Operations Division (the "Stealthy Foxes")
  • MI5: Counter-Insurgency
  • MI6: Special Forces (the "Rabid Foxes")

Furthermore, I added three Lyran intelligence agencies (Propaganda, Heimdall, and MID).

I would have tried some Capellan intelligence because their insignia seem quite interesting, but the Chinese script makes it off limits to me...

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2015, 10:59:39 »
Very nice work!  Thanks for sharing.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2015, 11:20:21 »
Thanks!

Again a somewhat larger update:

ComStar
- two main logos (could not decide which one I like better)
- ComGuards Divisions (1st, 2nd, 11th, 31st, 34th, 48th, 77th, 91st, 102nd, 116th, 308th, 312th, 379th, 394th)

I tried something new with the ComStar insignia. It deviates a bit from my usual style, but I wanted to try it:
http://i.imgur.com/mbD9HXB.png
http://i.imgur.com/CH9OfQW.png

Davion:
- Task Force Navarre
- NAIS College

Steiner:
- Nagelring
- Buena War College

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2015, 11:22:02 »
Wow!  great ComStar insignia!

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #15 on: 03 August 2015, 12:30:04 »
Thanks a lot! I got the idea from an old ComStar source book:
http://sarna.s3.amazonaws.com/media/images/backgrounds/comstar1024x768.jpg

Stained glass somehow fits ComStar's pseudo-religious style.

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2015, 12:33:44 »
Excellent work, and those Comstar symbols are sublime - well done.

How about a take on the Genyosha's symbol, replacing those tacky stars with a more realistic star field - a better version of this for example:

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2015, 13:16:30 »
Thank you! The Genyosha is a nice idea. I won't have time until the weekend I think, but then I will give it a try.  :)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2015, 19:56:29 »
Whoah, these are nice. Many are easily better than what official unit logos in BT are. Cleaner, less "busy". Very nice.
That Second Tikonov Republican Guards logo would be attractive as an avatar but i'd feel a tad disloyal toward the CapCon if i did use it  :P

Like, let's take the House Hiritsu symbol for an example. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Capellan_Confederation_-_House_Hiritsu.jpg
Kind of meh really.

Speaking of that, could you do re-interpretations of the Warrior Houses? Someday, that is.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2015, 10:07:34 »
Thank you!

Here is my frist take on the Genyosha and the House Hiritsu. If you require another size, I can provide it.
Also, if you have some ideas on improving the insignia, I would be glad to hear them. You know, sometimes I get stuck and have no idea how to go on.

My pace will be a bit slower in the future, but I'll mark the warrior houses. Furthermore the new Tikonov Guards might be interesting as well.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2015, 18:57:09 by Flieger »

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #20 on: 08 August 2015, 11:07:47 »
This is great work! do you have a DA account?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 08 August 2015, 17:36:59 »
Awesome! So much cleaner. Feels more fitting for mechs and such.
EDIT the sword could probably use that cord-thingy, some kind of it anyway. But otherwise, superb.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #22 on: 08 August 2015, 19:07:53 »
Thanks a lot! You are absolutely right, I forgot the sword knot. As I said, sometimes I get stuck and can't see the wood for the trees...
I added the knot and I hope you like it.

I also added two alterations of the ComGuards 1st Division, giving the helmet a crest. I made one red as per request, and the other white because I like to stick to the colours white-black-gold for the ComGuards whenever possible.

You know, I just like simplicity and corporate identity in unit insignia. But in FASA's defence... back then in the 90ies, people loved the flashy sci-fi-style with lens flares, lavish colour gradients, and generally a lot of bling. In the recent past however, there seems to be a roll-back and people begin to prefer the simple style again. Furthermore I for one think the medieval/early-modern heraldry fits the European factions very well.
Sometimes I wish I had any idea about Chinese or Japanese art or history so I could do them better justice.

@ beachhead1985

Thanks! Sorry, no, I have no DA account.

PS: from time to time I update some of the insignia with minimal improvements. Recently for example I replace the Lyran Royal Guards with better versions. The difference is only noticeble when seen side by side with the old versions though, thus I do not post about it.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2015, 19:11:00 by Flieger »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #23 on: 08 August 2015, 22:20:18 »
 O0

Nice job, looking forward to many more!

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 09 August 2015, 07:19:35 »
Very nicely done Flieger, I really like your artistic style, and it's good to see a different take on these icons (especially the Genyosha insignia).

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #25 on: 09 August 2015, 07:38:13 »
Thanks!  :)

Regarding the Genyosha... I tried the classic look of the wave only, but I did not get any result I was pleased with. So I took a cheesy road and put in front of a Japanese Sun Disk and I like the heavy contrast to the black wave with the white crest of the wave. Because black and red are dominant it seems to fit the DracCom more, too.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #26 on: 14 August 2015, 13:44:10 »
Today I got a small batch, some explanations, and a little question.

The batch:
- Hesperus Guards Brigade: http://i.imgur.com/9Jcsh53.png
- Second Tikonov Guards: http://i.imgur.com/1cxAIgq.png
- Fourth Tikonov Guards: http://i.imgur.com/mNlK28A.png
- Warrior House Matsukai: http://i.imgur.com/7iIUWga.png
- Sword of Light: http://i.imgur.com/2MHXjU1.png
- Fifth Amaris Fusiliers: http://i.imgur.com/2ziRhhx.png
- Legio Prima Victrix: http://i.imgur.com/HCcog4v.png
- Legio Secunda Cataphractorum: http://i.imgur.com/kGnIH9O.png

The explanations:

Instead of a halberd I used a bardiche for the 4th Tikonov Guards. The bardiche is an eastern Slavic weapon which was some used in combination with a musket. So a Tikonov Guards symbol that has a musket in it is imo better couples with a bardiche than with a halberd. Both are polearms anyway.

I changed the sword in the Sword of Light to a Katana, because I think it should be a Japanese sword.

The Hesperus Guards insignia is simply a modified version of the original (see here). It has flat colours and proportions making the eagle a little slimmer. I did not do much, since I like the original concept, but I like it soo much better now. ...and I had to resist the urge to straighten out the wings.  O:-)

The question:

What to do with the red on blue, as seen with the Amaris Fusiliers and the Legiones? It is a horrible combination, which is banned from heraldry with good reason. Are there any red-on-blue combinations that work?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 14 August 2015, 14:11:26 »
I love your thread!  Like you I'm fascinated by the stories expressed in heraldry. There's depth and character far beyond mere logos. 

There are some excellent works there, I especially like the reimagined Steiner crests.

I will offer some constructive criticism on this one though:

I changed the sword in the Sword of Light to a Katana, because I think it should be a Japanese sword.

I think you're missing the story.  The Sword of Light regiments are not professing to be House Kurita's most elite samurai... their crest proclaims them much more than that.  To paraphrase the SoL fluff, they are the divine instrument used to drag the undeserving and unwilling penitents to their salvation.  That's actually a very bad-ass way to view scoring victories in House Kurita's name*.  Furthermore, the actual devil-slaying "sword of light" wielded by the Myoo from real-world Buddhist mythology is called Kurikara and is certainly not a katana.  Then again, I've never found an image of that sword that looks like the sword in the SoL crest either, so there's certainly still room for reimagining a flaming sword crest for the Sword of Light brigade.

*Edit: Couldn't help but adding some more on this.. think about how profound the statement is by the 2nd Sword of Light in painting the Flag of Kentares on all their mechs.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2015, 15:04:31 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #28 on: 14 August 2015, 14:44:06 »
Thanks a lot for the info! That explains a bit; I always wondered why there is no Katana and now I know. Unfortunately my knowledge on the Asian factions and especially their background is quite limited. Otherwise, I'd do some more of their insignia :-\

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 14 August 2015, 14:55:35 »
Thanks a lot for the info! That explains a bit; I always wondered why there is no Katana and now I know. Unfortunately my knowledge on the Asian factions and especially their background is quite limited. Otherwise, I'd do some more of their insignia :-\

I hear you.. when most people think of "heraldry" they think of Europe.  Japanese heraldry is a completely different animal.. simplicity is an aesthetic in mons but there are complex rules just like in Europe.. just different ones is all.

On the upside, I doubt the various artists that created the crests of the BTU knew any more about heraldry or vexillology than you do.  And in the case of Kurita, those artists didn't stick to traditional Japanese heraldry anyway in almost all things Kuritan.  In-universe, it'd doubtlessly be explainable as Shiro Kurita being nothing more than a ****** who believed more in inaccuracies than facts :D  We already have some fun clues that may have actually been the case...

I wouldn't let being unfamiliar with "correct" heraldry rules stop you from experimenting and imagining.  As I said I doubt those who made the official insignia know any better than you do.  And secondly, who's to say what rules have or have not changed between the real world and the 31st century.  And Thirdly, don't be shy of the Confederation either!  They're almost as much a cultural hodge podge as the FWL.  Xin Sheng is a facade...

Register