Author Topic: Quirk - Partial Wing quirk?  (Read 4550 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Quirk - Partial Wing quirk?
« on: 29 June 2019, 22:29:36 »
Had an interesting discussion after-game tonight involving "design quirks" and their relative effect on a game, or lack of.

Then someone asked why no "Partial-Wing" quirk? A few mechs, such as the Osprey or the Firefly are obvious candidates, though someone suggested the Champion too.

What would you think of something like this, and IF you liked it how would you make it work?
« Last Edit: 29 June 2019, 22:31:28 by Black_Knyght »

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Re: Quirk - Partial Wing quirk?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2019, 23:25:45 »
I'm completely anti quirk, but if I was to offer up one, I'd say it can't be anywhere near as good as the actual equipment.  In fact I'd probably not give it any of the same benefits.  Maybe allow for a mech easier to control when engaging a DFA or combat drop.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2019, 00:54:40 »
Could also do something similar to LAMs in Airmech mode, and use it to give an extra point of heat dissipation equal to a single heat sink. Not really a wing, but more surface area for cooling.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2019, 02:07:22 »
Partial Wings being an actual piece of equipment, you would need to come up with a different name for the quirk.

my suggestion would be to have the quirk give a bonus to piloting skill rolls in certain circumstances, like running or jumping.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2019, 02:17:30 »
Isn't there a Stable jumper quirk or something? Just use that.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2019, 10:50:26 »
Isn't there a Stable jumper quirk or something? Just use that.

Not actually planning to use or do anything with the concept, This was intended as an entirely hypothetical intellectual discussion.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about quirks. For me they neither add dramatically to a game, and they do not negatively impact it either.

There are already enough existing rules that do both...
« Last Edit: 30 June 2019, 10:59:00 by Black_Knyght »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2019, 11:03:26 »
Quirks probably make more difference than they were intended to.  The campaign implications far outweigh the tactical ones.

As far as "Partial Wing", glitterboy has it right... It's a piece of actual equipment, so any quirk would need a different name.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2019, 11:13:10 »
Any name would do. The one suggested above was simply spitballed out there to get the basic concept across.

That said, everyone, IF you worked this idea out what would you name it or have it do? And why?
« Last Edit: 30 June 2019, 11:47:14 by Black_Knyght »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2019, 11:28:02 »
Personally, I'd give it +1 jump movement in non-combat situations.  That increases the strategic mobility without affecting anything at the tactical level.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2019, 11:46:22 »
Personally, I'd give it +1 jump movement in non-combat situations.  That increases the strategic mobility without affecting anything at the tactical level.
That makes a degree of sense, but what in BT is considered a non combat situation?  Rather than debating what is or what isn't, perhaps the unit gets an additional jump MP that if it uses it can't take any other action that turn?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2019, 11:47:12 »
That makes sense... I like it!  :thumbsup:

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 30 June 2019, 12:00:23 »
Personally, I'm ambivalent about quirks. For me they neither add dramatically to a game, and they do not negatively impact it either.

Try playing with Mechs that have no torso twist.   xp
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2019, 12:26:21 »
Try playing with Mechs that have no torso twist.   xp
It's not really that big of a deal.  You are already forced to do that with quads.  Looking over the list of mechs that have that quirk, many of them are at least 5/8 or jump.  There is only a handful of slower mechs that have no jets that I'd consider debilitating enough to never use the mech.

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2019, 19:48:29 »
That makes a degree of sense, but what in BT is considered a non combat situation?  Rather than debating what is or what isn't, perhaps the unit gets an additional jump MP that if it uses it can't take any other action that turn?
Extra jump MP + one more jump MP per height difference? It would make some sense as you'd be using the wings to "glide" more or less. Might be a bit overpowered though, but considering the implications other quirks have, maybe not.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2019, 19:52:27 »
As long as it prevents you from attacking, I think it would be balanced.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2019, 20:15:06 »
A Partial Wing Quirk would be pretty cool.

Considering that some quirks are actually better than identicle equipment in that they're crit and weight free I don't have a problem with there being identicle in function to the Equipment. That said, I'd limit the quirk to certain types of designs with limited benefits.

CampaignAnon

• Sergeant
  • Living the Meme...
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2019, 00:38:30 »
This sounds somewhat similar to the Nimble Jumper quirk, though that one is only for Lights and Mediums.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2019, 06:30:03 »
Any name would do. The one suggested above was simply spitballed out there to get the basic concept across.
Call it "Winglets" then, in a nod to the Marauder II's jump jets and little stub wings that are very clearly not Partial Wings as the rules roll with.  Maybe they'd make pilot skill rolls easier by 1 point for jumping movements?  Or for that matter, DFA?  Having that extra little bit of control won't extend your jump range, but it might make it easier to hit a death from above.

Top of my head, I suppose the Spider might have the same quirk since it was supposed to have those steering vanes or something?  Yeah...it gets "twitchy" in the air so it's harder to hit.  Maybe Winglets give you an extra +1 TMM when you jump because you're not just relying on a hundred thousand kilos of pure fusion sriracha sauce for jump jet thrust, you've got wiggly jets or stub wings and flaps and little steerable things to make your jumping maneuvering better.

...I suppose that would really piss people off, though; "your spider jumps 8 and has a plus-WHAT to be hit?"  Let's not provide potential situations where someone tests the armorpiercing abilities of a four-sided dice...I'll stick to my improved PSR roll for jumping maneuvers and DFA instead.

I guess other 'Mechs that might have the Winglets quirk idea would be the Firefly (look at that butt end in the 3050 Upgrades TRO), Champion (as god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly), Venom (obviously, with the Spider), and maybe some of the jumpy quads because they can flail limbs around perhaps, and do...something.

Spitballing here, but I kinda like it on its own.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2019, 06:42:23 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2019, 19:32:52 »
I could see "Winglets" being used by mechs not eligible for the Nimble Jumper Quirk, or in addition to.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2019, 19:39:31 »
"Winglets" is a good name, but I'd stick with a +1 jump when not doing anything else (like conducting a weapon or physical attack)...

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2019, 21:10:08 »
"Winglets" is a good name, but I'd stick with a +1 jump when not doing anything else (like conducting a weapon or physical attack)...

Kinda like sprinting. I could be down for that.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 03 July 2019, 04:34:08 »
One of the "winglet" mech's fluff noted that it made the jump smooth and stable. How about the quirk lets you reduce BOTH AMM and TMM when jumping? Optionally, of course. Using the winglets makes the jump more predictable to both you and your opponent.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2019, 17:23:12 »
Why not both?  You're more stable but also easier to hit?

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 05 July 2019, 01:38:19 »
Why not both?  You're more stable but also easier to hit?
That's what I wrote?

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 06 July 2019, 19:38:29 »
Sorry misread it. Bad me.  :'(

Good idea! :thumbsup: