Author Topic: Medium lance, Waco's Rangers  (Read 4280 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Medium lance, Waco's Rangers
« on: 07 April 2012, 20:57:46 »

The slightly battered look of the box set plastics worked really well here. If I can find a good source of 1:285-scale Toyota Landcruisers, I might make up another combined arms battaltion for this hard-luck unit.

Comments as always welcomed,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Re: Medium lance, Waco's Rangers
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2012, 00:58:07 »
Amazing O0.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2012, 02:31:32 »
Waco's Rangers always gave me a dilapidated Battlemech/Toyota Hi-Lux vibe. GHQ has Toyota pick-ups, if you're interested.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2012, 06:09:05 »
 O0

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2012, 07:11:10 »
 O0

Pavel Kerensky

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2012, 07:19:46 »
 O0
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about." ----Natasha Kerensky, 2 February 3051

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2012, 08:25:38 »
Cool looking! O0

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2012, 15:50:04 »
very nice O0
Life: Some assembly required!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2012, 16:09:17 »
GHQ has Toyota pick-ups, if you're interested.

Yes, but ten bucks per pickup! I'm almost better off buying low-end IWM vehicles at that cost :(
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

krazzyharry

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2012, 16:15:23 »
Waco's Rangers always gave me a dilapidated Battlemech/Toyota Hi-Lux vibe. GHQ has Toyota pick-ups, if you're interested.
Yes, but ten bucks per pickup! I'm almost better off buying low-end IWM vehicles at that cost :(

Do a search for "technical" in the military models section.  They had two different type, both $10 for 5

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2012, 16:29:30 »
Ah. Missed the qty per pack  [metalhealth].

Anyone got any experience with how the C-in-C metals look next to BT minis? THey look sweet, but rather small.

W.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2012, 16:40:40 »
Great work on those BattleMechs, WT!

All the C-in-C models are individual jewels...the problem is, they are micro-armor scaled and therefore very small next to almost every BattleTech model out there.  A Scorpion Light Tank would make a decent-sized (and overly broad) SPG, for instance.  I'll see if I can find some pictures to give some relative size.  The new SF line are a bit bigger, but the "civvie" vehicels there are small as well.

The GHQ technicals are quite nice--as all GHQ kit is--but is rather undersized for you needs.  Not to mention overpriced, but they are by no means the only company in this regard.  Keep in mind the technicals are roughly 1x2 cm wide/long.  If you wanted to go the "armed civvie vehicle" route, may I suggest the following from Brigade Models:

The Springbok jeep (not armed, but not hard to do either, for you, WT)

The Javelot; comes in multiple flavors including ATGM, autocannon, dual-MG, and FISTV/FO versions; a 6x6 pick-up truck that might do the trick as a ~5-tonne light truck

Those two worthies are equally small in comparison to the GHQ technicals, but are more reasonably priced (0.50 GBP, including the ~17% VAT).
« Last Edit: 08 April 2012, 16:56:29 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2012, 17:51:29 »
They seem small, but are actually scaled perfectly with Battltetech infantry. The game is roughly 1/285th and most of the vehicles and mechs are not really to scale... It has been stated a few times. So while they look small next to other stuff, they compare well to the infantry and that is what actually matters.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #13 on: 08 April 2012, 19:32:33 »
Here is a comparison shot of several types of microarmor and BT models; it isn't the greatest shot and I was trading view for detail, but it should give you a general idea of the general disparity in size between the two lines.  Let me know if you need any help deciphering the individual element-types.

Next we have a GHQ technical with a couple of MWDA infantry (you favorites!) based on a US penny.

As far as BattleTech infantry go, the latest sculpts are in no way to-scale with microarmor.  The intermediate sculpts may be, but I lack those to make a comparison.  The orignal sculpts work, in general, but they are bigger than contemporary 6mm infantry.

« Last Edit: 08 April 2012, 19:37:22 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 09 April 2012, 00:31:14 »
I have some Kurita infantry that I have compared to some US Army troops I got from GHQ... The Americans are actually a bit bulkier next to the malnourished Kuritans, but other than that, they stack up well.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 09 April 2012, 01:30:54 »
Brigadier was a good lead - the South African large wheeled APC, and the Neo Soviet large tracked APC, look great!

W

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #16 on: 10 April 2012, 07:46:45 »
Ah, yes.  Most of the SAC armor is more "BattleTech" sized (the Impala and Springbok are smaller than the range's norm; the former is roughly Swiftwind-sized) and the Neo-Sov line is goodly sized as well.  Indeed, I think the Kunitsa APC is a tad oversized compared to the rest of the line, but not badly so.  It should compare very favorably to the IWM Heavy APC (or slightly smaller, letting it work for a normal 10-tonner).  The Vombat (a perennial favorite of mine since I proposed it to Mr. Francis at Brigade--but that's the extent of it; no royalties here!) would make an excellent Goblin-alike, for instance.

What can I say, Brigade Models is my go-to line!

Auman, I think I see the 'problem'--GHQ infantry is known for being oversized, even considering the fact that much of GHQ's armor is also slightly larger (by ~1-2mm in a given dimension) than other contemporaries.  The oversize of the infantry may not seem like much, but it is noticeable compared to other lines and microarmor AFVs.  It would therefore look very close to the old ~8mm Davion/Kurita infantry sculpts.  There is nothing wrong with that, of course, but the salient point is that the GHQ technicals look awfully shrimpy next to such infantry.  And for such an outlay of cash, there are other options that might simply suit better.
--A. Duritz

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 10 April 2012, 07:50:39 »
Well... If he wanted something beefier, I know the assorted MRAPs they carry are, in fact, beefy. They also look cool. They also have Nyalas if you're into the SADF, bru.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #18 on: 10 April 2012, 16:59:52 »
 O0
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Register