Author Topic: Republic Standing Guard battalion, Skye garrison - Early Republic era  (Read 1652 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Okay, prepare for the flood - I got several battalions finally finished over the weekend, and took photos. So let's start with the standing army of Hos-Hostigos ;)

I've always liked the Standing Guard paintscheme - nice and clean and simple, and a great break from messy schemes like the FRR's. I had a number of minis which were only going to fit into Early Republic or later periods, and this was a great way to bring them together. Finally, the choice of the Skye garrison - well, it's a major industrial world in the Republic, is certainly going to be well-funded, and it lets me exercise that small, repressed bit of my psyche that is forever Steiner.

So let's take the grand tour, starting with the Battle Company. Note - I chose to organise the RotSSG in combined-arms units, and have had advice suggesting that this was entirely the right approach for these chaps.

The Battle Company consists of three platoons in two elements:

The Assault Lance is made up of an AS7-K2 Atlas, KGC-008B King Crab, ZEU-9WD Zeus-X, and BLR-M3 Battlemaster. Heavy metal! The Atlas is kitbashed from an Intro Box nuplastic to resemble a "horny dog" MW:DA Atlas in some ways; the King Crab is modded from the metal DA version to something a little more sensible from my perspective; the Zeus is kitbashed from the stock IWM Zeus-X to meet the stats for the shotgun model, and the Beemer is a Intro plastic modded to a C3M carrier. Only the KC has a slave in this lance, but ...  Next up, the Battle Group.

The core of the battle group is a platoon of Manteuffel omnitanks - A, C, and a pair of the ultimate IFVs, the D. All C3-linked via the master in the A. Then there's their little friends ... the Ds each carry two squads of Kopis 'Dark Alleys' internally, and each has a squad of Kopis 'anti-infantry' as tank-riders. The 'Mechs poke a hole, the tanks roll through it, and the BA ensure hilarity ensues ...

Now, the Strike Group.

These are the "rapid responders" - a typical Steiner hi-lo mix. The Yashas function as scouts, but scouts with 15-point headcappers thanks to the underslung Heavy PPCs.

The 'Mech lance is a flexible and powerful fast unit - GRF-3M Griffin, Stalking Spider II, HSN-10G Hellspawn, and HBK-6S Hunchback (the fast-mover, in a suitably fast-moving pose. Love the plastics for that!) The Stalking Spider II - okay, it is a little out of its time period, but I've been wanting to make one for ages, and decided "sod it! It goes in!". On a standard Stalking spider, I used the turret sides from a DA Morningstar, and a turret built from a DA Cizin laser & dual SRM packs off a JES I.

Finally, the Recon Company:

The 'Mech element - well, not totally optimised, but a great bunch of minis.

BLD-XL Blade, LCT-5W2 Locust, Arbalest, and MLR-B2 Mjolnir. All stock IWM minis, all a pleasure to assemble & paint (even if the "stacks" on the back of the Blade were a bit of a pain ;) ) Then there's the recon platoon:

For those who were present for Worktroll over America in 2014, I picked these up at that excellent game store - Scimitar IIs. Actually found them quite painful to assemble & paint, but have ended up really liking the look of them now that they're done.  And finally, what's a Republic era unit without more BA ...

The vehicular core is a pair of Tamerlanes, and a pair of Bandit Hs in the Recon Support platoon. Each Bandit carries a pair of Angerona Recon squads internally, while each vehicle has a squad of Infiltrator Mk II "Pumas" in Sensor config on the outside. These aren't the typical "roll out & bump into the enemy" recon units - these are the "get them there first, and spread out", or "winkle through the urban area" troopers.

All in all, I had a lot of fun and a little frustration building this unit. I'm really happy with the end results, one of the lesser known but still iconic units of that era. One can't help but want the Republic to fall messily (to the reborn FWL, of course O0 ), but one can feel for those who just wanted to keep civilisation standing on their homeworlds.

Comments, questions, avant-gard poetry all welcomed :)

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Very nice.  I think it is a very interesting selection for a Standing Guards unit.  I have one for a setting in 3130s but it is limited to just a lance of mechs like we see on Archenar w/ Raul Ortega.  Is this something you would use for a campaign as it is organized?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
This. Is. Epic. :D I am *so* stealing that Atlas idea!

Loads of great ideas, conversions, and painting here, Worktroll. Superb.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
Very cool. Looks like fun. Love the Zeus. I do wish there was a Lament in the mix, but your custom miniatures make up for it... O0

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
His work is so good I can never tell what is new plastic, MWDA, MWDA conversion or IWM metal.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Colt,

Given the Standing Guard is mainly a defensive unit, yes, it's organised for combat use. The recon group tries to locate the enemy, or to grab a strategic urban area  - the speed is designed to get there firstest, if not with the mostest. The battle group is a massive anvil or a heavy hammer, as needed. And the strikers prowl the flanks looking for a chance to jab anything vulnerable - the Yashas, in particular, would be very nasty operating in someone's back lines. And thanks for the compliment!

IAMCLANWOLF, the Zeus-X I approached with trepidation - too many pieces for my preference. Fortunately the contact areas were very well designed - broad and logically connecting. I'd still rather have one-piece legs/feet/waist, and have the option to mod if I wanted, but it came out nicely.

Miz Anna, it's a nuplastic base, with arms from a DA Arbalest. The SRMs in this case were from the back of a JES III's LRM-20 pack, the tusks were blades from a DA HarvesterMech's slicer-dicer. But whatever works! I've always seen the nuplastic Atlas as too lanky - I usually crop about 1/4" out of the upper legs & upper arms. But in this case it worked for the 'horny dog' model ;)

For the record, simple paintscheme - prime & base black, then drybrush medium green. The red areas were based in dark mud, then red drybrushed over the top. Add metallics & details, and done!

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
Thank you kindly for the recipe. :) I agree that the nu-plastic Atlas is awfully lanky, that's why mine is still in the box. I almost pulled the trigger on a Mechwarrior:DA Atlas, but knowing how different the scale was, this one of yours is a godsend. :)
Y'all can just call me 'Anna', too. No worries. :)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Sorry, I tend to the formalities until introduced. With the 'Miz', I was picturing someone figuring out the best way to remove cyanoacrylate from crinolines ...

Re Atlases - the old first sculpt needs about 1/4" added to the upper thighs. I've got a "trimmed" Atlas pic somewhere, just handicapped since my trusty Sol7 picture hosting died :(

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
Sorry, I tend to the formalities until introduced. With the 'Miz', I was picturing someone figuring out the best way to remove cyanoacrylate from crinolines ...

Re Atlases - the old first sculpt needs about 1/4" added to the upper thighs. I've got a "trimmed" Atlas pic somewhere, just handicapped since my trusty Sol7 picture hosting died :(

XD No worries. I had neighbors with a cute little boy they were training to call adults "Mister, Miss, Missus", and he kept calling me "Mrs. Anna" so we told him to just say "Miz". :) Or something.... XD

I love the Atlas, I have like 4 new sculpts, a II, and a III. I never get tired of seeing them or buying them. :)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
I swoon at this outfit! Great to see some Standing Guard. And as always, WT - you've done amazing work!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
 O0

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
Liking this a lot! Tons of BA, and I really like those Scimitar IIs. I see the non-McCheese King Crab is present as well. ;D great work as always!
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Dave Talley

• Major
Okay, prepare for the flood - I got several battalions finally finished over the weekend, and took photos. So let's start with the standing army of Hos-Hostigos ;)

W.
always glad to find a Piper note   :-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Register