Author Topic: Combined arms battalion, 15th Deneb Light Cavalry, Clan Invasion period  (Read 2888 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
It's been a while, but intermittent lack of icy wet winds let me get some varnishing done last weekend.

The latest unit - 15th Deneb Light Cavalry. It was time for some more Davionista, and I wanted to do a very medium force. Of course, I picked the only heavy regiment int the DLC, but that's OK - even heavy regiments have medium companies.

I'd done the tan/sand colourscheme for my Wolf Dragoon Epsilons, and I'll be doing some Lyran Regulars soon, so I wanted a little variety. The 15th's use of khaki instead of tan provided the excuse to go darker. I admit I did cheat a little, and added some green 'task force markings' just to keep me interested.

So here they are!

The 'Mech company:

The Command Lance can also moonlight as a medium Battle, or Striker lance:

In what you'll notice is a very Davion-oriented set of minis, we have the CO in an Ostsol OTL-4F with dual PPCs, a Centurion CN-9D for speed, a shiny new Enforcer ENF-5D, and my version of a Blackjack BJ-2.

The Fire Lance consists of a Wolverine WVR-7D, Dervish DV-7D, Dervish DV-6M and Whitworth WTH-2. The 6M mini had been slightly squashed in transit, but I liked the pose, and just brought the right arm up into firing position.

The Recon Lance is commanded from a Clint CLNT-2-3U, ably supported by a Cicada CDA-3F, and with 'speed demons' in the form of a Locust LCT-3D and Fireball ALM-8D (the twin laser version).

The armour company!

Mantis Light Attack VTOLs act mainly as scouts, and spotters for the Artillery Lance.

Goblin IFVs provide utility backup where needed, when not being used to deploy the infantry company.

Pilum artillery tanks - I've chosen to use the Arrow IV version, but the LRM version would be handy too.

And finally, the infantry company. Four standard infantry platoons, carried in the Gobin IFVs. Two rifle platoons in camo suits, equipped as spotters for the Pilums, backed by an SMG platoon and support laser platoon. The company has been gifted with a squad of IS Standard battle armour, with integral heavy hover APC carrier, to determine the BA's utility in the role of artillery spotter in hostile environments.

As always, comments actively appreciated ;)

Cheers,

W.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2016, 17:39:57 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
The first two links are broken. But man, these look good. Funny that we both completed brown units about the same time... :))
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Whoops! Hopefully links now fixed.

Yup, this will be the last largely-brown for a while - with the Galedon Regulars & Wolf Epsilons, that's three.

Next scheduled works are House Dai-Dai-Chi, Marian I Legio, and Lyran Regulars (which will have a little brown).
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
I'm getting back to red, for my Dracs. I'd have more of them done already, but red is such a slog for me. And I've got my next fifty or so miniatures pre-planned, but it'll be a while before I get back to brown.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
Awesome as usual, I do not know how you manage to paint so many battalions so quickly!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Awesome as usual, I do not know how you manage to paint so many battalions so quickly!

Once you get used to having a routine, and if it's a fairly simple scheme, you can really bang them out. If you check out my Rolling Thunder thread, I knocked out eight of them in just two days, including stripping the freaking house paint off my second-hand Wolverine.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
It's like cooking a big meal - having all the ingredients on hand, and doing the prep work before you start.

My Dai Da Chi minis have started to spill out of their box, and will be glued to hex bases this weekend. Then - probably a company at a time - will get primed, based, & drybrushed, then moving onto details.

(Side issue - LOOOOVE acrylic paints! I was - 15 years ago - an enamels user, but the move to acrylics liberated me. Particularly at the detailing stage, it can become a continual rotation thing.)

The other advice - try before you start. I'm not aiming at CSO quality, and I want easy, consistent results. The proof of concepts I do are really important here.

W.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Noice! Dunno why I didn't see these guys when you first posted. But I likes!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!

Work assembly line - get, say 4-6 minis out, and do the first coat of paint on one, then the same coar of paint on the next one, and so on down the line.  By the time you're finished the last mini, the first one is dry enough to do the next coat (if you're layering diluted coats of paint) or colour. You can also get quick and easy results if you do a simple basecoat, then wash, then drybrush process rather than layering highlights by hand.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
You can also get quick and easy results if you do a simple basecoat, then wash, then drybrush process rather than layering highlights by hand.

That's my usual technique. Results do vary depending on color, though.

If you look closely, the green, brown, and tan minis show natural, good-looking blending from drybrushing with a minimum of stroke marks. The red piece looks dirty, which is okay in this case but not what you want if you're going for parade colors.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
What colour did you prime the Phoenix Hawk?  It can be hard to get good results for lighter colours over a black primer, for example.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
What colour did you prime the Phoenix Hawk?  It can be hard to get good results for lighter colours over a black primer, for example.

Army Painter Pure Red. I then used Agrax Earthshade (my go-to for almost all shading), drybrushed Pure Red and then orange, gave it a red wash, and...looks dirty. But then again, this is from when Sorenson's Sabres were exiled to pirate hunting, so I decided to go with it.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Army Painter Pure Red. I then used Agrax Earthshade (my go-to for almost all shading), drybrushed Pure Red and then orange, gave it a red wash, and...looks dirty. But then again, this is from when Sorenson's Sabres were exiled to pirate hunting, so I decided to go with it.

I've never primed red, unfortunately.  I got good results recently on some Gundams by priming grey, then airbrushing Vallejo Ferrari Red followed by airbrushing P3 Red Ink to saturate the colour

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
 O0

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
I'll have  to work on some of the techniques you guys advise, need to expand my Sword of Light company to a Battalion.  >:D

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
These are great! Wish I could turn out such high quality product that fast.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Great work Mr Worktroll they look like a proper military unit O0
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Even without airbrushing, a medium to light gray base is great for reds. I mix a lot of my colors via acrylic and water, so when I wash, (And, invariably, I'll have to) I can only say that I use a deep, dark maroon.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
Very nice looking unit. I've been away from BT for some time, and I don't remember your work being so refined when last I saw it WT. I think you've really progressed in your skillset FWIW.

Certainly helps it's one of my favorite AFFS units. The 15th is reason you don't hear more about the mighty DAG during the FCCW, among other coolness.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Thank you Crimson!

I'm always trying for good, reliable and reproducable schemes, and - as long as you're working with browns, tans, and/or greens - the "magic dip" - in this case a small tin of teak varnish, which is all Army Painter is - produces a really reliable good result. Keeping it simple helps keeping it reproducably good.

Taking a rest from dip on the Dai Da Chi project, more drybrush oriented, but will be back for my Lyran Regulars ;)

W.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Well done good sir!
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Register