Author Topic: What movies/tv are we watching part XXX, Back into the fray!  (Read 21560 times)

Porshadoxus

• Recruit
  • Kill the meat. Save the metal.
Re: What movies/tv are we watching part XXX, Back into the fray!
« Reply #480 on: 18 April 2024, 11:06:44 »
Just rewatched 1999's Payback, with Mel Gibson.
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #481 on: 18 April 2024, 11:16:25 »
First trailer for Transformers: One has been released.

And I don't believe there has ever been a previous depiction of Transformers where the ability to transform wasn't innate.
the g1 cartoon showed transformers not being able to transform until autobot decepticon war that just evolved as war progressed
then decepticons gained power of flight
there was a story on that when optimus prime to be thought that decepticons were cool for being able to fly
it had been 40 years since i saw that episode it involved time travel on cybetron by autobots
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #482 on: 18 April 2024, 13:08:20 »
the g1 cartoon showed transformers not being able to transform until autobot decepticon war that just evolved as war progressed
then decepticons gained power of flight
there was a story on that when optimus prime to be thought that decepticons were cool for being able to fly
it had been 40 years since i saw that episode it involved time travel on cybetron by autobots

That episode also contradicted other parts of the cartoon series, which established that the Transformers were built with the ability to transform when the Quintessons first made them.

The G1 cartoon had issues with keeping things consistent.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #483 on: 18 April 2024, 15:19:29 »
Quintessons?  That reminds me: back in the day, I had a comic that had each transformer featured, like a technical-manual, so I made them out for Battletech using LAM-rules.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #484 on: 18 April 2024, 15:40:58 »
Quintessons were the floating egg-shaped robots with five faces.  In the G1 cartoon continuity, they were the original creators of the Transformers as slave labor until the Transformers rebelled.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #485 on: 18 April 2024, 17:20:18 »
I believe that transforming was evolved during the war to help with spying and general hiding. Robots in disguise, after all.  I thought that was in the comics, too, but I could be misremembering where I read it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #486 on: 18 April 2024, 17:55:45 »
No, that was Challenge of the Go-Bots were they developed the ability to transform as part of the war.  Though I haven't seen every episode of Transformers G1, they could have put it into an episode that I didn't see.  There were at least two mutually exclusive origins for both the Dinobots and Constructions in the cartoon, after all.  But like I said, the standard explanation was that they were built as a slave race by the Quintessons with the ability to transform as part of their roles: Autobots, built for domestic labor and construction, turned mostly into cars and trucks, while Decepticons, built primarily for combat, mostly turned into jets and other war machines.

In the comics, Transformers had "evolved from naturally occurring pullies and gears" and the ability to transform was innate from the get-go.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #487 on: 18 April 2024, 18:40:22 »
I asked the Transformers wiki. Turns out, the multiverse struck again:

In some continuities this ability to transform is innate to all members of the species, in others it was a wartime innovation that was adopted by most, but not all, of the populace.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #488 on: 18 April 2024, 19:40:29 »
Come to think of it, "wartime innovation" might have been the explanation initially used in the G1 toyline.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #489 on: 18 April 2024, 20:54:48 »
Come to think of it, "wartime innovation" might have been the explanation initially used in the G1 toyline.
you are thinking of go bots
the great engineer put brains int robotic bodies that changed shape
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #490 on: 18 April 2024, 23:44:41 »
No, that was Challenge of the Go-Bots were they developed the ability to transform as part of the war.  Though I haven't seen every episode of Transformers G1, they could have put it into an episode that I didn't see.  There were at least two mutually exclusive origins for both the Dinobots and Constructions in the cartoon, after all.  But like I said, the standard explanation was that they were built as a slave race by the Quintessons with the ability to transform as part of their roles: Autobots, built for domestic labor and construction, turned mostly into cars and trucks, while Decepticons, built primarily for combat, mostly turned into jets and other war machines.

In the comics, Transformers had "evolved from naturally occurring pullies and gears" and the ability to transform was innate from the get-go.

I rarely if ever saw the cartoon, but collected MOST if not all the comics in the UK..  And that's how i remember it too..  PLUS if they were 'supposed to have been built" by the Quintessons, HOW THEN Does that explain Primus (their planet) or the creation matrix/??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #491 on: 19 April 2024, 00:08:49 »
I rarely if ever saw the cartoon, but collected MOST if not all the comics in the UK..  And that's how i remember it too..  PLUS if they were 'supposed to have been built" by the Quintessons, HOW THEN Does that explain Primus (their planet) or the creation matrix/??

The Quentesson origin was only in the cartoon.  The Matrix of Leadership was created for the animated movie (and didn't become the Creation Matrix until later), while Primus was something Simon Furman came up with in the UK comics (which was then brought over to the US comics).  Transformers has a very complicated history.  Pretty much every iteration reinvents the stuff.

you are thinking of go bots
the great engineer put brains int robotic bodies that changed shape

My dude, I already mentioned it was used in Challenge of the Go-Bots.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #492 on: 19 April 2024, 00:13:51 »
Also from the wiki, linked in my post above:

Early stories depicted this ability as something that the Transformer race as a whole was not created with; it was either a wartime innovation designed to disguise themselves from their opponents, or an unexpected side effect as a result of their rebuilding at the hands of the Ark on Earth. However, it would not take long for this ability to be cemented as a natural extension of Cybertronian biology; later stories would, for the most part, establish that Transformers are born with a functioning alternate mode, or at least the ability to assume one.

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #493 on: 19 April 2024, 06:08:48 »
The tank chats
"Nemo my name forevermore"
Nightwish - Nemo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #494 on: 19 April 2024, 09:17:47 »
Also from the wiki, linked in my post above:

Yeah, unfortunately the wiki doesn't clearly indicate which origin went with which continuity.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #495 on: 19 April 2024, 10:48:45 »
rooster teeth aka cockbite studio the ones who done red vs blue series tried to unify the transformer universe...they did try and almost made it

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #496 on: 19 April 2024, 12:49:30 »
Yeah, unfortunately the wiki doesn't clearly indicate which origin went with which continuity.

I guess I could go into the attic and dig out my original Marvel comics run. I'm not that ambitious, though.  :undecided:  Also, it's been a long time since I felt that strongly about Transformers.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #497 on: 19 April 2024, 16:03:46 »
I think the only thing in Transformers that's less consistent than the timeline is the scale between characters and altmodes.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #498 on: 19 April 2024, 16:43:07 »
The Transformers wiki has a page on that too:

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Scale

(TFWiki is one of the best out there, up there with Sarna and Memory Alpha in terms of information but it has an irreverant sense of humour which elevates the content.)
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #499 on: 19 April 2024, 18:26:03 »
That's one of my favorite pages on the wiki.  Along with the entry for B.O.T.  You know an episode was a doozy when one of the continuity errors listed for it was "this episode exists."

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #500 on: 19 April 2024, 23:26:37 »
I wonder, if the same applies to the other awesome 80s toys, ZOIDS!!!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #501 on: 19 April 2024, 23:52:14 »
No, the fact that Zoids exist is very much not an error.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #502 on: 20 April 2024, 01:04:35 »
I quite like the timeline page starting with "The Big Bang.  The atoms that would eventually become plastic are formed, ruining Transfomers forever"
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #503 on: 20 April 2024, 06:21:02 »
Starship Higlander
Nightwish - Nemo

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #504 on: 20 April 2024, 08:37:05 »

6 sci-fi short stories. No link between episodes, so can be watched in any order.

https://www.youtube.com/@blackmilk_studio

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #505 on: 20 April 2024, 15:37:10 »
No, the fact that Zoids exist is very much not an error.

I was more on about whether zoids are 'scaled incorrectly'..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #506 on: 21 April 2024, 00:31:25 »
Zoids doesn't use scale the same way Transformers does, so that's pretty difficult.  A Zoid mecha that looks like a Styracosaurus, for example, isn't supposed to be the same size as an actual Styracosaurus the way that a Transformer is supposed to be the size of their actual alt mode, leading to absurdities like a space shuttle (Blast Off) being the same size as a jeep (Swindle).

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #507 on: 21 April 2024, 06:05:02 »
Nitro Rallycross Calgary FULL Broadcast - Finals
Nightwish - Nemo

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #508 on: 21 April 2024, 07:35:52 »
Zoids doesn't use scale the same way Transformers does, so that's pretty difficult.  A Zoid mecha that looks like a Styracosaurus, for example, isn't supposed to be the same size as an actual Styracosaurus the way that a Transformer is supposed to be the size of their actual alt mode, leading to absurdities like a space shuttle (Blast Off) being the same size as a jeep (Swindle).

Or a 20 or 30 foot tall robot is supposed to transform into an actual size boom box/tape deck that is able to be picked up and carried by a normal human teenager.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #509 on: 21 April 2024, 09:02:54 »
Finally getting to see Wednesday season 1 (now that’s it’s been released on dvd) since I still haven’t broken down and signed up for Netflix.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who