Author Topic: Alpha Strike: Two Inner Sphere Companies duking it out  (Read 3530 times)

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
Alpha Strike: Two Inner Sphere Companies duking it out
« on: 13 March 2014, 12:47:51 »
We decided to try out the new PV system and beta optional rules in a fight last night.

The whole battle can be briefly summed up like this: We did a lot of jumping and running for cover behind buildings as each side downed a mech each turn until bad dice rolls denied me any kills for a turn. After that, I got shellacked  the turn after and called it a day.

A brief note: My opponent was a BT Video Game fan who didn't find the board game rules to be a fit for him. Alpha Strike, though, is joy for him. He cackled when the new Natural 12 rule gave him a crit hit for the first shot in the game.
Conclusion: Alpha Strike/BT player base grown by +1 last night.

For my impressions of the Beta rules, check that out in the AS subforum. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,37970.0.html
« Last Edit: 13 March 2014, 13:22:52 by Von Ether »
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

SLDF_Spector

• Sergeant
Re: Alpha Strike: Two Inner Sphere Companies duking it out
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2014, 13:02:28 »
I like your cityscape.  Where did those models come from?  O0
One day I will have a woman who's name doesn't end in jpg, bmp, or png.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2014, 13:29:16 »
I like your cityscape.  Where did those models come from?  O0

Dropzone Commander Cityscape. About $40 for 20 glossy cardboard buildings and enough 1' x 1' double-sided cardboard street tiles to cover a 4' x 6' table. We used 4' x 5'.

If you don't glue the roofs in, you can unfold them for storage. I could put the whole thing in an under-the-bed box no problem -- and that includes the homemade cardboard "X" supports I made for each building. I could cover any roof with metal mechs and not have a structural "malfunction."

We use felt underneath to keep the street tiles from sliding, though it's easy to nudge a building. And the scale is a bit off, 10mm, but that's not a deal breaker for me.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2014, 13:37:16 by Von Ether »
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Maverick__

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2014, 18:30:01 »
There is a download site for dropzone commander that you can get pdfs of the buildings and roads.  Which then can be plotted on card stock paper at 6MM scale.