Author Topic: (Answered) Conversion to JMPW#/JMPS#/SUBW#/SUBS#  (Read 2374 times)

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
(Answered) Conversion to JMPW#/JMPS#/SUBW#/SUBS#
« on: 19 August 2019, 17:50:28 »
I see the new special abilities in Alpha Strike: Commander's Edition for Weak/Strong jump and submersible movements, which I think is nice. But how exactly does one convert standard readouts to that special ability? I was trying to find a pattern with how this is determined using the MUL, but it eluded me (maybe because some of the MUL entries are wrong).

1) Will this be published somewhere as I couldn't find it anywhere, including in the Errata forums?
2) Can you tell us what the conversion is?
3) Do Partial Wings play a role in jump movement (in the Companion they are not specified)?

« Last Edit: 20 August 2019, 11:11:44 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Conversion to JMPW#/JMPS#/SUBW#/SUBS#
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2019, 21:37:37 »
The errata is being compiled, but it is written. 

Basically you calculate the TMM for the ground movement, then calculate the TMM based on the jump (or submersible) movmemet (without the +1 for jumping.
If they are the same (8” ground with 6” jump, both are +1 TMM), no special.
If jump TMM is higher (from improved jump jets, partial wing, etc) it gets strong jump jets equal to the difference.
If jump TMM is lower (shadow hawks with 6” jump and 10” ground), it gets weak jump jets equal to the difference.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2019, 08:54:33 »
That makes perfect sense! I was definitely over-complicating it when I tried to find a "pattern".

With regards to Partial Wing, I'm thinking how to handle those will also be in the errata since they currently are not accounted for? Am assuming it's similar to how Hardened armor or Shields are handled with ground MP. So if the unit is equipped with a Partial Wing, add 1 to the jump MP before converting to inches?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2019, 09:14:47 »
Partial Wings are "always on".  The unit's available jump MP includes the bonus, which is fixed by weight class (+2 for Light and Medium, +1 for Heavy and Assault).  Converting to Alpha Strike uses available jump MP, not number of jump jets.

An Eyrie, for example, has 7 jump MP even though it only has 5 jump jets, and converts to Alpha Strike as 12"/14"j.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
Re: (Answered) Conversion to JMPW#/JMPS#/SUBW#/SUBS#
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2019, 11:20:39 »
Thanks for the responses. I've got it all understood now.  :thumbsup:

I think my confusion was that ground MP specifically calls out things that impact it (MASC, Supercharger, Shields, Hardened armor), so I was expecting something similar for Jump MP. But all those things for ground MP have varying effects with regards to base Walking or modified Running MP, so explaining how that all translates to AS made sense.