Author Topic: Should Vehicle/Mech Rifles be updated?  (Read 42544 times)

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
Re: Should Vehicle/Mech Rifles be updated?
« Reply #120 on: 20 March 2020, 15:39:08 »
As far as I know XTRO:1945 is the only place where it gives the size of a Light Rifle Cannon in mm. However, Era Report: Age of War gives the Heavy Rifle Cannon a size of 150mm. XTRO: Corporations also has the HRC being large enough to be easily disguised as an AC/20. The Hetzer's AC/20 is also 150mm.

That's all I know of. :(

So heavy rifle seems bigger than our current tank guns....

----------------------------------
Just in my thought is, what about a half of damage instead of flat -3 damage? Then it simply solves no damage for light rifle, as well as keep it inferior to AC.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #121 on: 20 March 2020, 15:54:26 »

The heart of the matter is that the straight -3 to damage was a clunky way to implement the obsolescence of the Rifle Cannons, and it doesn't synch with the more consistent (and some would say elegant) AP vs. BAR system. If I have more energy this weekend, I'll work up the math for a weapon system with an AP of 7 that yields the damage of the various Rifles to BAR 7 armor, and see what it yields against BAR 10.

The straight -3 to damage modifier was to reflect that the Rifles' damage output was originally scaled for armor values of BAR 7 and less, versus the BAR 10 standard that is basically where the rest of BT is set. Now, mind you, a more elegant AP vs BAR system would be more accurate, but frankly, by the time we reached those guns, my plan was to keep the word count down and just do a simple rule. (Especially since that system, taken to its inevitable conclusion, would ultimately transform far more than just the Rifle guns.)

As far as I know XTRO:1945 is the only place where it gives the size of a Light Rifle Cannon in mm. However, Era Report: Age of War gives the Heavy Rifle Cannon a size of 150mm. XTRO: Corporations also has the HRC being large enough to be easily disguised as an AC/20. The Hetzer's AC/20 is also 150mm.

Oh, no. XTR 1945 gave TM/TO equivalencies to the various real-world weapons by caliber, but never made an assumption about what caliber the Rifles (Cannon) are, because, as with other BT weapons, the weapon class can vary with manufacturer. We realized fairly early on, behind the scenes, that too many random references to the size of the various guns in BT defied any hope of establishing a caliber-to-class standard.

On the 7th day, he slept. A lot.  ;)

That's every day for me nowadays, actually. Some days, there's barely any call to get up!

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #122 on: 20 March 2020, 15:58:19 »
:o Wow! I was sure you did a lot of weapons. You did.  :beer:  Will they be published?  :bow: :bow: :excited:

Probably not, sorry.

(Although, looking at my notes, the M1A2 Abrams' main gun is the equivalent of a Light AC/2 vs. modern BT units. If that's what you wanted to know.)

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #123 on: 20 March 2020, 16:13:01 »
To my mind, the most elegant system would "simplify" to their published TW stats.  I suspect that won't be the case when I do the math...

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #124 on: 20 March 2020, 16:13:44 »

Just in my thought is, what about a half of damage instead of flat -3 damage? Then it simply solves no damage for light rifle, as well as keep it inferior to AC.
I'm pretty sure many of the ACs are fluffed at smaller calibres.  Even the AC/20 can go at least as small as 120mm, as seen in the Luxor Devastator (Axman) and Deathgiver (King Crab).

Half damage would solve the no-damage weirdness of the light rifle, though you'd have to decide whether damage should round up or down.  If the main argument against removal of the flat damage malus is that the AC needs to be superior, the AC could be improved as well (and the game as a whole benefits from the testing I've done with them).  There's a ton of things you can do to Rifle Cannons, or ACs, or literally everything about the game, but the question is what do you want out of it?  That question should guide any suggested improvements.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #125 on: 20 March 2020, 16:17:24 »
I just did a quick calculation, and an explosive weapon with an AP of 7 would have to have a BD less than 4 to do zero damage to BAR 10.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #126 on: 20 March 2020, 18:21:39 »
I just did a quick calculation, and an explosive weapon with an AP of 7 would have to have a BD less than 4 to do zero damage to BAR 10.

sooo the LR is pooched? Ok, I think we can all (may have to) live with it.  It's made to suck (well as of modern BTU timelines) and if you have it as a weapon system, you're in dire straits or someone really pulled one over on someones military.

ie I made a 10t 'militia car' and put a LR on it.  I imagine it's MPs using it b/c against a mech or any BAR-10 Veh (well BAR 8-10) is suicide ... ironically, it can still make a stand (for a turn I guess) vs Battle Armor.  The good news is that by pulling the LR/ammo there's 4 tons of other stuff to put on it.

I'd still like it to not eat dirt so much.  That's why I want more Rifle options: Assault/Repeater Rifle! -- that's another day and thread.

"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #127 on: 20 March 2020, 23:19:33 »
Technology A exists in time X, and ceases to exist in any relevant fashion by time Y.
Technology B does not exist in time X, and is invented in time Y.
Theoretically, technology A & B can be applied together to make a superior product C.  However, a pre-existing condition to doing this is that both technology A & B must actually exist at the same time.
Neither in time X nor in time Y do the two technologies coexist.  One or the other is not present in either time frame.
Therefore, it is not possible for Technology A to have take advantage of Technology B to make product C.
Unless you'd like to claim time travel, there's nothing left to discuss here.

Yes - there is more to say.

First - your entire supposition here is that a technology, once introduced into the game/universe, is never ever under any ciurcumstances, updated or improved. That is the essential core of your argument.  That you are limiting it to Rifles and "Endo Steel" doesn't change that.

Weapons are improved. Weapons do take advantage of new technologies. The weapon known as an AC-5 is a simple abstraction covering hundreds of different weapons, each with their own quirks and foibles, advantages and disadvantages, with models ranging in size, accuracy and more. The AC-5 built in 3025 is very different from the AC-5 built in 3150. But it is still abstracted under the class of AC-5 autocannons.

The Rifle is going to be the same. It is going to cover a wide variety of weapons, some more primitive, others more advanced, covering a wide vartiety of technical bases and capabilities. But they are all going to be abstracted under the term "Rifle".

Once you start applying technology to improve the Rifle beyond that layer of abstraction, you have improved them into the class of weapon known as Autocannon and it will adopt those stats. So...we already have improved Rifles- - we simply call them ACs.

So - the Tank cannon of todays M1 evolved into the Light Rifle firing heavier ammunition to defeat the more advanced armours of the future. As armour imrpoved, the Medium and Heavy Rifles followed. Eventually, they improved again becoming the class of weapon known as ACs which used improved materials, ammunition, propellants or other firing mechanics to cause more damage.

Second - in this specific case, the Rifle and Endo Steel ARE coexistent. Rifles are obsolete in 3085...not extinct. But even if they were extinct, that wouldn't prevent them being constructed using advanced materials.  But once you improve them to the point they are "effective", they would no longer be rifles - they'd be ACs

« Last Edit: 21 March 2020, 00:05:44 by Talen5000 »
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #128 on: 21 March 2020, 00:30:29 »
I rather disagree.  Cannon have gone through many different iterations since the concept was created, yet they have always been cannon.  Autocannons are just the latest iteration of cannon.

Yes, the Rifles and Autocannons are abstracts of many different kinds of weapons, but some things still don't work quite right.  If we consider the -3 of Rifles versus Standard Armor to due to the lesser capacity of the older tech, then wouldn't an AC/2 be doing 5 damage versus more primitive armor and the Gauss Rifle 18?  Technically, shouldn't a single LRM do 4 damage to the same armor?  RAC/5's would be really fun against that with up to 6 hits of 8 damage each!

Now, there are some things that need to be considered from a historical/storyline perspective, and some things that need to be considered from game perspective.

Honestly, I think have the current base rate be what they would accomplish to Standard (BAR 10) Armor and what they'd actually doing against that primitive armor be +3 damage would make more sense, so that way we can get down to equal tacks and keep things simple.  This allows the Heavy Rifle to have been a reasonable king of its battlefield in its day (12 damage is rather nice), but still relatively weak against its modern element comparisons.

On the other hand, that is one of the reasons why a suggestion of eliminating that -3 come through as Improved Rifle Cannons comes about because the cannon's features are more closely associated with the older Rifle's than the modern Autocannon's.  After all, I don't see anyone jumping up to make a Clunky Light AC/3 or Clunky Light AC/9 here, especially since the ammo and range to weight ratio would be closer to the Rifle's than an Autocannon's.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #129 on: 21 March 2020, 02:45:32 »
The Gauss Rifle compensates by investing two orders of magnitude of energy, but in return it gets only three times the damage.

And how much of an increase in energy is invested in sending a rifle rounds compared to a punch?

Possibly. Although I would think that each class of Rifle would cover several different sizes of cannon. There could also be some fluffed to be bigger or smaller. Like how both the Rifleman and Marauder both have AC/5s but they cannons are different sizes.

That would actually nerf the heavier cannons more than they are now.

The straight -3 to damage modifier was to reflect that the Rifles' damage output was originally scaled for armor values of BAR 7 and less, versus the BAR 10 standard that is basically where the rest of BT is set. Now, mind you, a more elegant AP vs BAR system would be more accurate, but frankly, by the time we reached those guns, my plan was to keep the word count down and just do a simple rule. (Especially since that system, taken to its inevitable conclusion, would ultimately transform far more than just the Rifle guns.)

I understand that and I might not even have a problem with it as long as the light actually did damage. It feels like it breaks things when an infantry rifle will do more damage than a vehicle cannon.  :(  Maybe -2 would have been better?

Oh, no. XTR 1945 gave TM/TO equivalencies to the various real-world weapons by caliber, but never made an assumption about what caliber the Rifles (Cannon) are, because, as with other BT weapons, the weapon class can vary with manufacturer. We realized fairly early on, behind the scenes, that too many random references to the size of the various guns in BT defied any hope of establishing a caliber-to-class standard.

That it was equivalent too was what I was going for. I must have been tired when I posted that. Thank you for correcting me. And I do appreciate that there's not too many sizes listed. Autocannon sizes can be weird enough.

That's every day for me nowadays, actually. Some days, there's barely any call to get up!

- Herb

Hope you slept well. Lots of poor sleep isn't good.

Probably not, sorry.

(Although, looking at my notes, the M1A2 Abrams' main gun is the equivalent of a Light AC/2 vs. modern BT units. If that's what you wanted to know.)

- Herb

:'( :'( :'( Bummers.  :'( :'( :'(  They're fun to use. I'll keep hoping though!  :) :thumbsup:

Wow!  :o That's cool! Thanks!  :) So its like in between Medium and Heavy? Medium's damage and Heavy's range? Would the damage be 2+3 against BAR-7 Armor or 4+3? 4 being the LAC/2's max damage potential rapid-firing? How's it compare to the 8.8cm Tank Canon? It kind of seem like the Tank Cannons are another +3 damage against other WWII units. It looks like it'd be either slightly better or slightly worse. Or do post WWII weapons get extra damage against BAR-5 armor?

Thanks! :)  :beer:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #130 on: 21 March 2020, 03:30:22 »
*snip*
I understand that and I might not even have a problem with it as long as the light actually did damage. It feels like it breaks things when an infantry rifle will do more damage than a vehicle cannon.  :(  Maybe -2 would have been better?
*snip*
Since the main thing people are complaining about the Light Rifle being reduced to zero, -2 would certainly have been better.  I'll get cranking on the math after I catch up on the forums.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 21 March 2020, 03:50:31 »
I'm pretty sure many of the ACs are fluffed at smaller calibres.  Even the AC/20 can go at least as small as 120mm, as seen in the Luxor Devastator (Axman) and Deathgiver (King Crab).

Half damage would solve the no-damage weirdness of the light rifle, though you'd have to decide whether damage should round up or down.  If the main argument against removal of the flat damage malus is that the AC needs to be superior, the AC could be improved as well (and the game as a whole benefits from the testing I've done with them).  There's a ton of things you can do to Rifle Cannons, or ACs, or literally everything about the game, but the question is what do you want out of it?  That question should guide any suggested improvements.

TechManual page 207 says this about AC sizes.
With calibers ranging from 30 to 90 millimeters at the lighter end, to as much as 203 millimeters or more at the heaviest,

Half damage works for the Light but hurts the other Rifles. I don't think the damage reduction is necessary as Autocannons will be superior with or without it. If there had to be a damage reduction though, I'd go with a -2. It'd be in keeping with the Heavy Rifle doing slightly more damage than the AC/5. It'd also keep the Light from being totally outclassed by infantry weapons.

I'm not sure where the AP7 came from. A grenade is a class (C) ordnance weapon with the Anti-Vehicle round doing 8X/10A. My AToW conversions are fuzzy but I think that works out to 1 point of damage as the 8 rounds up. Every Ordnance using weapon of Class C or greater would round up to 1. I would hope that the Light Rifle Cannon would at least do as much damage as an Infantry Weapon.

That's what bugs me. Why would anyone invest money in a LRC that does 0 damage against mechs and combat vehicles when they could get a fleet of small vehicles armed with infantry weapons all doing 1-2 points each.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #132 on: 21 March 2020, 04:23:13 »
The AP 7 comes from the simplest way to get -3 damage out of the rules against BAR 10 armor (AToW, p. 185-186).  Personally, I think this rule was misapplied, and the math below bears that out.

TW weapons convert to AToW stats with AP 10 and BD = 6 x TW damage (AToW p. 211).

Dropping the AP to 7, and using the usual factor of 6 for the damage of the Rifles would yield:
Light: 7AP/18BD
Medium: 7AP/36BD
Heavy: 7AP/54BD

Using those values and converting back to TW damage via the AToW Companion page 170 rule, yields TW damage that rounds to the same TW damage against BAR 7 armor.  Applying the -3 to the AToW BD values instead of the TW values yields:
Light: 7AP/15BD, rounds to 2 points against BAR 10
Medium: 7AP/33BD, rounds to 5 points against BAR 10
Heavy: 7AP/51BD, rounds to 8 points against BAR 10

So, properly applying the damage reduction for the reduced AP would only give -1 damage, not -3 at the TW level.  That's my stake in the ground for the "correct" damage for Rifle Cannons.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #133 on: 21 March 2020, 04:42:37 »
Since the main thing people are complaining about the Light Rifle being reduced to zero, -2 would certainly have been better.  I'll get cranking on the math after I catch up on the forums.

Thanks. I think it'd be better. A vehicle weapon should do damage against vehicles.

(Snip)
Second - in this specific case, the Rifle and Endo Steel ARE coexistent. Rifles are obsolete in 3085...not extinct. But even if they were extinct, that wouldn't prevent them being constructed using advanced materials.  But once you improve them to the point they are "effective", they would no longer be rifles - they'd be ACs

A HRC is going to be a HRC regardless of what or when it was made. If stats are for a HRC its a HRC. That isn't going to change. Can there be differences? Sure if you want to use Quirks. But they're still HRC. That isn't going to change no matter what weapon you look at.

Can weapons be improved, beyond Quirks? Sure, but that will change its stats. Look at every improved weapon since the Star League. Look at Autocannons. They've had 6 separate improvements, and 4 of those improved versions were improved upon. Not including prototypes which would add another couple layers of improvements. They all have different stats. If the stats don't change, there's no improvement.

And yes you could use EndoSteel to Improve Rifle Cannons and No they would not become Autocannons. Use of ES could make Rifles lighter, weight the same yet improve damage and/or improve the range. Maybe both. None of which would make Rifles into Autocannons. What would do that would be putting an Autoloader on them. And that still wouldn't make them better than Autocannons. It'd be more like Autocannons using the Rapid-Fire Rule. The Autocannon is still going to be firing more rounds per turn than the Rifle.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #134 on: 21 March 2020, 04:58:16 »
After doing the math above, I went back to compare the Medium and Light Rifles to the LAC/5 and LAC/2.  I think the latter are both clearly superior in every respect.  The Heavy Rifle compares somewhat favorably to the AC/5, but four times the heat, one third the ammo, and no ability to use specialty ammo for a whole 3 extra points of damage seems balanced to me.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #135 on: 21 March 2020, 05:27:00 »
The AP 7 comes from the simplest way to get -3 damage out of the rules against BAR 10 armor (AToW, p. 185-186).  Personally, I think this rule was misapplied, and the math below bears that out.

TW weapons convert to AToW stats with AP 10 and BD = 6 x TW damage (AToW p. 211).

Dropping the AP to 7, and using the usual factor of 6 for the damage of the Rifles would yield:
Light: 7AP/18BD
Medium: 7AP/36BD
Heavy: 7AP/54BD

Using those values and converting back to TW damage via the AToW Companion page 170 rule, yields TW damage that rounds to the same TW damage against BAR 7 armor.  Applying the -3 to the AToW BD values instead of the TW values yields:
Light: 7AP/15BD, rounds to 2 points against BAR 10
Medium: 7AP/33BD, rounds to 5 points against BAR 10
Heavy: 7AP/51BD, rounds to 8 points against BAR 10

So, properly applying the damage reduction for the reduced AP would only give -1 damage, not -3 at the TW level.  That's my stake in the ground for the "correct" damage for Rifle Cannons.

Wow! Thanks. :thumbsup:

So if I understand your reasoning and math right, (and I probably don't) the AToW conversion for Rifles ends up with them doing full damage but if you change how the -3 is applied they end up doing 1 point less?   ???

So to get the -3 damage the AP/BP would have to be AP-3/BP-9?  I like the -3 each better. It doesn't explain why class C-E  Anti-Vehicle Ordnance has an AP8 but I'd take the -1 or -2 over -3.

After doing the math above, I went back to compare the Medium and Light Rifles to the LAC/5 and LAC/2.  I think the latter are both clearly superior in every respect.  The Heavy Rifle compares somewhat favorably to the AC/5, but four times the heat, one third the ammo, and no ability to use specialty ammo for a whole 3 extra points of damage seems balanced to me.

That's what I think. Although it'd be nice if alternate ammo could be used since it would have been historically.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #136 on: 21 March 2020, 06:17:21 »
I don't think the alternate ammo issue would throw off the balance that much, really, especially since most of them further reduce the number of shots per ton.

I think the original error was in subtracting the difference between the weapon's AP and BAR of the armor was in applying it to the TW damage vice the AToW Base Damage, like it was supposed to be.  I've posted to the errata board to that effect.

To get the Light Rifle down to zero damage, the BD would have to be decremented by 15 (to a BD of 3 from 18).  To be clear, the AP is already at 7, so no further penalty needs to be applied.

I think the current Ordnance rules need some work, but have no problem with "modern" anti-vehicle ordnance having an AP of 8.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #137 on: 21 March 2020, 07:58:15 »
I don't think the alternate ammo issue would throw off the balance that much, really, especially since most of them further reduce the number of shots per ton.

That or it reduces the damage.

I think the original error was in subtracting the difference between the weapon's AP and BAR of the armor was in applying it to the TW damage vice the AToW Base Damage, like it was supposed to be.  I've posted to the errata board to that effect.

To get the Light Rifle down to zero damage, the BD would have to be decremented by 15 (to a BD of 3 from 18).  To be clear, the AP is already at 7, so no further penalty needs to be applied.

Okay. You lost me there but that's not hard to do with AToW.   :(    After doing some math though I think I've got it.

Using the conversions Rifles end up doing full damage against BAR 10 armor. However, there's no extra chance of a penetrating critical hit for the Heavy Rifle against BAR-8 and BAR-9 armors because it only has an AP of 7.

I hope I got that right. If so, It sounds good to me.

I think the current Ordnance rules need some work, but have no problem with "modern" anti-vehicle ordnance having an AP of 8.

I'd say the same except that opens the can of using older and future ordnance.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #138 on: 21 March 2020, 09:30:08 »
The full set of conversions leads to the -1 damage against BAR 10.  I'll see if I can break it down more clearly.

A Light Rifle does 3 points of damage at the TW scale, but we know it's Armor Penetration is only 7.  Using the AToW page 211 conversion, that yields AToW stats of 7AP/18BD.

Now, taking those AToW stats and reconverting them to TW scale with the AToW Companion formula yields:
7AP leads to a Penetration Factor of: 7/4 = 1.75
18 BD, with a burst of one, and a "splash" effect (assumed for HE) yields a Damage Factor of 18 x (3.5 +1) = 81
Multiplying the PF by the DF and dividing by 50 = 2.84, which would round up to 3 Damage for BAR 7 and under.

Against BAR 10 armor, Base Damage is reduced by 3 (the difference between the Light Rifle's AP of 7 and the armor's BAR).  So that leads to:
PF is the same, at 1.75
15 BD under the same other conditions: 15 x (3.5 + 1) = 67.5 Damage Factor
Final conversion yields 2.36, which rounds down to 2, 1 less than the damage against BAR 7 and below.  The critical point (where the TW damage comes out to 2.52) is actually at BD 16, so it would still do a full 3 points against even BAR 9 armor.

Does that help?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #139 on: 21 March 2020, 11:00:29 »
Wow!  :o That's cool! Thanks!  :) So its like in between Medium and Heavy? Medium's damage and Heavy's range? Would the damage be 2+3 against BAR-7 Armor or 4+3? 4 being the LAC/2's max damage potential rapid-firing? How's it compare to the 8.8cm Tank Canon? It kind of seem like the Tank Cannons are another +3 damage against other WWII units. It looks like it'd be either slightly better or slightly worse. Or do post WWII weapons get extra damage against BAR-5 armor?

Thanks! :)  :beer:

The XTR 1945 weapons were all statted based on BAR 5 armor targets, and a special set of rules was thrown in to explain how they should behave against both inferior armors and superior armors. Here's the relevant text (from my original documents, anyway):

---

Iron Sights Gunnery (Air and Ground Combat)
Despite the lack of targeting technologies and advanced sensors, gunners and pilots in the days of World War II remained quite capable of hitting each other in battle. In fact, this kind of iron-sights targeting—for which all pilots and tank crews were trained—combined with the lack of targeting technologies and ambient electromagnetic interference to generate the ability to deliver attacks at far greater ranges than weapons of the ages to come.

To reflect this, the 1945 Gameplay Weapons Table provides the effective combat ranges for all featured weapons, including Short, Medium, Long, and Extreme range. (The Aerospace Max Range applies only when such weapons are mounted on airborne units, though it should be noted that tank cannons may not be mounted on airborne units, and bombs have no aerospace range as they are used only for air-to-ground attacks.)

The special LOS Range (see p. 85, TO) can even be used by gunners of particularly fearsome skill. Furthermore, since all military units built for this era are treated as though they have no intrinsic sensor technology, the usual +2 to-hit modifier for possessing No Fire Control does not apply.

1945 vs. BattleTech: Remember, that the above benefits only apply as long as these units face one another with none of the “modern” conveniences of BattleTech technology present. If these units are employed in games set during the Age of War and later, none of these benefits will apply, and—in addition to suffering the gunnery modifiers for lacking fire control systems—all of the weapons featured in this book will behave in accordance with their BattleTech Equivalent Weapon as noted in the construction tables.

Weapon Damage
The damage values for each weapon given in the 1945 Gameplay Weapons Table reflects the effectiveness of these weapons against other 1945 units with an armor BAR of 5. When used against vehicles with a BAR of less than 5, add 1 point of damage to each hit for every point of BAR the target has below 5. Thus, an attack that would deliver 3 points of damage to a BAR 5 target would deliver 4 points against a BAR 4 target, and 5 points against a BAR 3 target. Armor stronger than BAR 5 simply did not exist in the World War II era.

Against any target with a BAR of 6 or greater, treat the damage effects of these weapons as equivalent to their BattleTech Equivalent Weapon as noted in the construction tables.

---

Note that the idea of adding the BAR difference only works when attacking something BELOW the weapon's rated BAR factor, and not above. This was mainly intended to cover the difference between the WWII gear and anything from the Age of War and onward, and factored in more than mere damage-vs-armor. In real-life, WWII cannon didn't work in the ablative fashion BT weapons do on the tabletop; they either penetrated armor or they didn't, depending on where they hit, how the armor was sloped, how thick it was at the point of impact, and so forth. In addition, most weapons tech in the era used what amounts to manual aiming, rather than an abundance of computer-controlled, gyro-stabilized gear. To reflect this in game terms, we used an equivalency table to cover use against armors above BAR 5 instead of a simple "subtract the difference" rule, which not only made these weapons less destructive against BT units (especially anything with BAR 7+, which effectively represents the Age of War armor standard), but also changed their effective ranges against BAR 6+ units. In this way, a unit equipped with Rifle-Cannons now not only had to contend with less damage potential, but had to get even closer to try and hurt anything.

By the way, the Abrams, in my notes, got to BAR 6, representing "proto-21st century tech". This meant that WWII-era units used the equivalency weapons against it, and it could effectively ignore a Panzer IV's main gun. And when it returned fire? The 120mm Smoothbore (with Accurate Weapon Quirk), would deliver a 12-point hit, which would either strip the target's armor off (if it hit the front or turret) or guarantee a crit (from the sides or rear). A second hit from the same weapon--or just a few bursts of MG fire--would then seal the Panzer's fate.

It can be argued I had too much fun there.

Oh, and for the record, Rifle (Cannons) WERE meant to be useless/severely inferior to BT weapons when we put them out--laughably so. The idea was to show what came before the Autocannon. Upgrading such weapons to be more effective was simply never done in the BT universe because there just wasn't a point to it. Furthermore, the fact is that extant BT weapons painted us into a corner when it came to introducing this primitive tech. When the LB-2X AC or a single LRM warhead is considered a "viable" weapon system, after all, how do you reflect an inferior weapon that's supposed to represent a standard from BEFORE their day?

(Also, a bit of "behind the curtain" here: there is basically a standing directive that weapons never change once introduced, which is why you still have the standard 10-point PPC on the table, and a whole mess of PPC alternatives that could all nominally be considered a PPC's upgrade/downgrade. ACs and missile launchers get to use new ammo as a workaround, but the standard AC/20 will always be a 20-point, 3/6/9-hex range weapon that gets 5 rounds to the ton. A Rifle-Cannon upgraded to post-Age of War tech standards would get a whole new entry, and it basically did in the form of the modern autocannon.)

...Damn it; now I almost wanna make more WWII/Modern conversions again. Must. Resist. Waste of Time!

- Herb
« Last Edit: 22 March 2020, 11:19:42 by HABeas2 »

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #140 on: 21 March 2020, 12:38:16 »
Yes - there is more to say.

First - your entire supposition here is that a technology, once introduced into the game/universe, is never ever under any ciurcumstances, updated or improved. That is the essential core of your argument.
This is absolutely, categorically false.  My ongoing "Battletech 2.0" project which I've posted elsewhere depends on the gradual improvements and updates of existing technologies.  The core of my argument was clearly that 2 technologies cannot be applied together if they do not exist in the same time and space together.
Second - in this specific case, the Rifle and Endo Steel ARE coexistent. Rifles are obsolete in 3085...not extinct. But even if they were extinct, that wouldn't prevent them being constructed using advanced materials.
They do not coexist in any relevant manner.  By the time Endo Steel is introduced, Rifles have been replaced by all major powers by autocannons, the powers that can actual produce endo-steel no longer use the Rifles.  The backwater periphery states, who might actually have a use for endo-steel + Rifles, don't have the capacity to build the orbital factories to do so, and if they did have the capacity to make ACs anyways.  Rifle Cannons go extinct ~2825 and aren't reintroduced until 3084.

Also, I believe you should review your definitions, as that's most certainly what "extinct" means.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #141 on: 21 March 2020, 12:45:18 »
Thanks. It kind of helps. A couple things do bug me though.

The conversion from TW to AToW is for use against infantry. Would the conversion apply as it's against another vehicle? Or would it apply because Rifles can be a field gun?

Rifles just don't have a lower AP they have lower BP too. So does the BP get lowered before the conversion or after the conversion? Either way, won't the damage get reduced because it has a lower AP than the BAR of the armor?

The XTR 1945 weapons were all statted based on BAR 5 armor targets, and a special set of rules was thrown in to explain how they should behave against both inferior armors and superior armors. Here's the relevant text (from my original documents, anyway):

---

WOOHOO!!!!
 ;D  Thanks! :)  :thumbsup: :beer: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Iron Sights Gunnery (Air and Ground Combat)
(snip)
I remember all that and I remember seeing the ranges and wondering, with a big grin, where I'd get to set out enough mapsheets to play.

Weapon Damage
The damage values for each weapon given in the 1945 Gameplay Weapons Table reflects the effectiveness of these weapons against other 1945 units with an armor BAR of 5. When used against vehicles with a BAR of less than 5, add 1 point of damage to each hit for every point of BAR the target has below 5. Thus, an attack that would deliver 3 points of damage to a BAR 5 target would deliver 4 points against a BAR 4 target, and 5 points against a BAR 3 target. Armor stronger than BAR 5 simply did not exist in the World War II era.

Against any target with a BAR of 6 or greater, treat the damage effects of these weapons as equivalent to their BattleTech Equivalent Weapon as noted in the construction tables.

I forgot about that added damage against units with BAR 4 or less armor.  >:D     Does that still apply to BT units with BAR-4 or less armor?   ???

The reduced ranges makes sense too. Although I never had a problem with them.

Makes sense, although I'm not sure why the Basic Fire Control System couldn't be used on some of them. It is also a Pre-Spaceflight System.

By the way, the Abrams, in my notes, got to BAR 6, representing "proto-21st century tech". This meant than WWII-era units used the equivalency weapons against it, and it could effectively ignore a Panzer IV's main gun. And when it returned fire? The 120mm Smoothbore (with Accurate Weapon Quirk), would deliver a 12-point hit, which would either strip the target's armor off (if it hit the front or turret) or guarantee a crit (from the sides or rear). A second hit from the same weapon--or just a few bursts of MG fire--would then seal the Panzer's fate.

It can be argued I had too much fun there.

HAPPY DANCE!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :beer: :beer: :beer: :bow: :bow:

Thanks!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh, and for the record, Rifle (Cannons) WERE meant to be useless/severely inferior to BT weapons when we put them out--laughably so. The idea was to show what came before the Autocannon. Upgrading such weapons to be more effective was simply never done in the BT universe because there just wasn't a point to it. Furthermore, the fact is that extant BT weapons painted us into a corner when it came to introducing this primitive tech. When the LB-2X AC or a single LRM warhead is considered a "viable" weapon system, after all, how do you reflect an inferior weapon that's supposed to represent a standard from BEFORE their day?

I always understood that Rifle Cannons were always useless/severely inferior to BT weapons. I never had a problem with that. That other pre-spaceflight weapons remained just as effective through the ages while the Rifles didn't is bugged me. The 75mm/76.2mm Tank Cannons/Light Rifle Cannon being equivalent to an infantry support weapon that does more damage than a heavy recoiless rifle but less than 1 full point would I think have made more sense. They'd still be really bad but they'd still be used by the desperate. And you wouldn't get an infantry rifle doing more damage than a tank cannon.

As for how to handle inferior weapons, the Rocket Launcher (Prototype) (Early Spaceflight) still does full damage with each Rocket doing 1 point of damage. Getting all the Rockets to hit though isn't easy though. They apply a –1 roll modifier when resolving damage on the Cluster Hits Table on top of the +1 targeting modifier so the chance of all the rockets hitting is small. That's on top of the whatever modifiers for the vehicles targeting system or lack thereof. It could be even worse for Pre-Spaceflight Rockets. Additional targeting modifiers could also be applied to weapons. You could also remove the chance for extra penetrating hits against lower BAR armors if the armor was introduced after the weapons creation.  I wouldn't think a cannonball would have much chance penetrating Tech B Armor. A cannonball penetrating Tech D Armor... :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: Maybe it'd knock out a Rifleman's Searchlights? If it's lucky.

(Also, a bit of "behind the curtain" here: there is basically a standing directive that weapons never change once introduced, which is why you still have the standard 10-point PPC on the table, and a whole mess of PPC alternatives that could all nominally be considered a PPC's upgrade/downgrade. ACs and missile launchers get to use new ammo as a workaround, but the standard AC/20 will always be a 20-point, 3/6/9-hex range weapon that gets 5 rounds to the ton. A Rifle-Cannon upgraded to post-Age of War tech standards would get a whole new entry, and it basically did in the form of the modern autocannon.)

Thanks. I didn't think weapons changed. Other than through Quirks and Salvage/Maintenance/Repairs. And AC/20 is an AC/20. If they're improved they're now something else. Hello, Improved AC/20. :)

...Damn it; now I almost wanna make more WWII/Modern conversions again. Must. Resist. Waste of Time!

- Herb

Don't resist! Don't resist! In fact throw in some WWI stuff for too. Like what BAR Armor would an FT-17 have? They did see service in WWII.

And for giggles more Nebula California Tech.  :D  Did anyone watching the movie"Fury" wonder when Blasters were issued during WWII? Or was it just me?

Thanks!  :thumbsup: :beer: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #142 on: 21 March 2020, 13:04:47 »
I think Herb pretty much nailed this to the wall with his last post.  I won't quote it, since everyone's read it. (Or should), but he explains the thinking behind the present state of the rules pretty well, as well as what the devs were actually THINKING when they made those rules.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #143 on: 21 March 2020, 13:21:12 »

Oh, I don't think anyone had any argument that they be inferior, just the method of making them inferior was just rather odd and exclusive.  Honsestly, I think it would have been better to establish the base damage to modern equipment, and then give bonuses where they apply instead of an always on nerf except those situations.  But that's just the part of me that's intrigued by game design.

Which is part of why the suggestions of new ammo to accomplish this or even a new line of "improved" weapons would fit this scale were brought up.

Honestly, I think would be happy with the "Clunky Light AC/3" that had a similar performance envelope to the Light Rifle, or even the CLAC/3 that had the heat and ammo of an appropriately short-ranged, low-damage AC build up.

One of the reasons I started looking in to this, and bringing it up, is that the Light AC/2 isn't quite light enough to fight in that 2-3 ton ballistic weapon model that could be used as a alternative replacement of the medium laser.  Right now, the Light Rifle is the only weapon that comes close (and even that poorly before the damage nerf) to fitting that model.

Well, if you can't get it out in the next couple weeks, there's always AFD 2021.  This is from someone who made a mini-Gundam Wing fandex for 40K, and then started on one for Lizardmen, and then a Tyranid book for Warhammer Fantasy.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2020, 19:32:53 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #144 on: 21 March 2020, 20:15:08 »

I've got a minimum of 5 (well 4 then our April break) weeks off b/c of COVID-19.  You say waste of time, I see it as wonderful reading material!

When I think of the LR, I think of the torpedo breaking apart on the hull of the Red October.  Now, there's a movie I want to watch again.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2020, 20:42:30 by Wolf72 »
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #145 on: 21 March 2020, 22:03:41 »
Archaic Weaponry vs Modern Armor
Archaic weaponry, specifically those guns designed before the dawn of the BattleMech, varied in their ability to damage a target. When a weapon made to penetrate armor was devised, a more advanced armor was created to stop it. Eventually, a more effective weapon was made, followed by better protection. BattleMech-grade armor is the pinnacle of this development and is seen as a benchmark for battlefield effectiveness. However, some archaic weapons still have a place in modern warfare. Although a gun may not have the velocity to consistently penetrate modern armor, there is always the chance that it finds a weak point or simply becomes lucky.

In order to determine whether a gun penetrates modern armor, the following optional rule may be used:

Penetration Rating (PR)
Penetration Rating (PR) is an archaic weapon's ability to penetrate armor. An archaic weapon's Penetration Rating is equal to its base damage. Ex.: an archaic  cannon's damage value is 3, so its PR is 3.

Whenever a archaic weapon (for example, a Light/Medium/Heavy Rifle) fires against a target, it must make a check to determine whether it is able to do damage. In order to make this determination, find the target's BAR rating and add 5, then subtract the archaic weapon's PR value. The result is the target number needed to inflict damage. (Note: All modern 'Mech, Combat Vehicle, Aerospace, and Battle Armor is considered to be BAR 10)

Example: A Light Rifle is firing at a BattleMech and scores a hit. Before rolling to determine hit location, the unit with the Light Rifle must roll to determine whether it penetrated the armor. A Light Rifle's Penetration Rating is 3 and BattleMech armor is BAR 10. [(10 (BAR) + 5) - 3 (PR)] = 12 (target number). In this case, the player firing the Light Rifle must roll a 12 in order to inflict damage. If he rolls below a 12, the Light Rifle hit inflicts 0 damage.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2020, 22:16:26 by TigerShark »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #146 on: 21 March 2020, 22:41:27 »
I think Herb pretty much nailed this to the wall with his last post.  I won't quote it, since everyone's read it. (Or should), but he explains the thinking behind the present state of the rules pretty well, as well as what the devs were actually THINKING when they made those rules.
I'm not so sure about that.  TacOps came out in 2008, and AToW came along later with the AP vs. BAR system in detail.  A -3 nerf bat at the TW level wasn't used before, nor since.  The reduced AP yields a completely reasonable damage penalty that still means the Rifle Cannons are clearly inferior to "modern" Autocannons.  I stick to my stake in the ground on that.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #147 on: 22 March 2020, 06:52:28 »
I'm not so sure about that.  TacOps came out in 2008, and AToW came along later with the AP vs. BAR system in detail.  A -3 nerf bat at the TW level wasn't used before, nor since.  The reduced AP yields a completely reasonable damage penalty that still means the Rifle Cannons are clearly inferior to "modern" Autocannons.  I stick to my stake in the ground on that.

As far as I know BAR first started being used in 2005 with Combat Equipment when Support Vehicles were first introduced. I believe it was adapted from Mechwarrrior 3rd Ed which came out in 1999.

You are right in that the -3 nerf bat hasn't been used before or since. However, Infantry Support Weapons have always been going up and down. In many cases they're fluff describing them as being same or similar to those on Mechs/Vehicles and Battle Armor. In some cases like machine guns the rounds were smaller but they made up for that with volume of fire.

TRO:3026 gave rules for how infantry weapons damaged mechs and vehicles. You had to roll for a chance with personal weapons. Support weapons did a straight 1 or 2 points of damage. Mechwarrior 3rdEd, Combat Equipment, and Battletech Companion all have Equivalency Tables listing what infantry support weapons were equal to vehicle and battle armor versions. Then came TechManual in 2007 and really whacked those weapons with a nerf bat.

In TRO:3026 a Heavy Recoiless Rifle did 2 points of damage. In Combat Equipment it did 3 points of damage. In TechManual a whopping .34 damage. :o That was later changed to .57, which could round up to 1. Which is better but still less than what it used to be. And of course there's AToW, where all the damages can vary.

In AToW the Medium Recoiless Rifle uses Class D Ordnance. Class D Ordnance does 8X/11A. A Mech's BAR-10 Armor would reduce that by 2 making it 6X/9A. I believe that rounds up to 1 point of damage against the mech. If I'm doing this right, the Medium Recoiless Rifle would also do 2 points of damage against BAR-5 armor and 5 points against BAR-2 armor. And those damages are without modifiers. (If I've got things right.) In TW though it would do 1 point of damage regardless of the target's BAR if rounded up. (The weapon being mounted on a vehicle or that's the remaining infantry damage.)

So where am I going? I think an argument can be made that Rifles damages have already been reduced.

A 37mm Tank Cannon being equivalant to a Medium Recoilless Rifle, would do 1 point of damage against BAR-10 armor, 2 points against BAR-5 armor, and 6 against BAR-2 armor. Against WWII BAR-5 armor the 37mm does 4 points of damage and would do 7 points against BAR-2 armor. So it looks like there's been a loss in damage already. Even if we use "old ammo" and reduce the damage to 5X/11A, I think the damage still works out about the same.

So at least as far as AToW is concerned the 37mm is pretty good as is. TW gives it a flat .53 against all armor types.  :( At least it rounds up to 1 point.

If we go with the conversions the 75mm Tank Cannon, being equivalent to a LRC and not being good against "future" armor would have AToW damage of 5/56 against BAR-10 Armor. I get 5 points of damage. I also get 6 points of damage for the 76.2mm Tank Cannon. TW would have the LRC doing 3 points of damage only against armors of BAR-7 and under and 0 damage against armors above that.  ???

Again I might not have done it right. I'm weak at AToW but it looks to me like having the damages for Rifles the way they are without the -3 already takes into account their age and inferiority. Not only are they doing half the damage of Tank Cannons with far, far less ammo, they don't get the bonus damage Tank Cannons get when hitting targets with a BAR of 4 or less. If anything Tank Cannons are far superior to Rifle Cannons.  So do the Rifles really need the -3 damage?  :-\

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #148 on: 22 March 2020, 06:58:26 »
The Tech Manual and AToW damage values are synched up (any remaining discrepancies are errata).  I think you only missed this rule from the Companion (page 169):
For weapons that use Ordnance, two different damage values must be computed: The first reflects the average capability of the weapon’s anti-personnel, anti-vehicle, and high-explosive ordnance types (as available). The second is for incendiary (Inferno) ordnance only. Prior to converting these weapons, the player must separately average the AP and BD values for any anti-personnel, anti-vehicle, and high-explosive ordnance the weapon can fire, and use those average values to find the weapon’s first damage value. Then, for the second damage value, compute the weapon’s damage again using only the AP and BD values for any Inferno ordnance available to its class (if any) to find its incendiary damage value. Once both values are known, they can be separately plugged into the same formula as any other personal weapon, and translated into Total Warfare damage.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #149 on: 22 March 2020, 07:05:01 »

If one wants to use a more common damage reduction method, then why not simply reduce the damage to half?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships