Author Topic: Blaine's Latest Blog II: the Wrath of IlKhan  (Read 23837 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Blaine's Latest Blog II: the Wrath of IlKhan
« Reply #90 on: 17 December 2019, 18:07:33 »
My review of the film - Richard Jewell. 

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2019/12/15/review-of-the-film-richard-jewell/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe

Thanks for a review of it, I have planned to take my 15 year nephew to see it, one he was interested in it and to because as you said
In an era of text messages, weekly leaks to the media, secret and potentially corrupt FISA courts; the story of Richard Jewell is a milestone and a warning to all of us.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #91 on: 18 December 2019, 16:32:50 »
++MOD NOTICE++

Please don't bring up the FISA issue. It's inherently political (see forum Rule 4) and not welcome on the official Battletech forums. That Blaine is talking about it isn't tacit permission to counter the forum rules by bringing it up. We try to be fair and even-handed about how we treat the forum rules on the books and that sometimes makes things complicated. This is one of those times. Rule 4 is still in effect.

Also, this is a pre-warning not to contest this publicly or blindly go on about the subject we just said to stop talking about. We have that tag up top to draw a clear line after several users wanted something clear and obvious to know when not do something.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
« Reply #92 on: 21 December 2019, 18:38:48 »
My non-spoiler review of The Rise of Skywalker...

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2019/12/21/non-spoiler-review-of-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #93 on: 16 January 2020, 13:13:57 »
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #94 on: 17 January 2020, 11:13:17 »
My review of The Killer Inside - The Mind of Aaron Hernandez

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2020/01/17/review-of-the-killer-inside-the-mind-of-aaron-hernandez-on-netflix/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #95 on: 20 January 2020, 11:50:30 »
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Author

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 26 January 2020, 19:24:15 »
Out of curiosity, would you ever become part of the Vidocq Society, if invited?

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #99 on: 06 February 2020, 21:28:22 »
Out of curiosity, would you ever become part of the Vidocq Society, if invited?

Sure!

Blaine
Author

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 07 February 2020, 15:45:55 »
A review of a new book on Gettysburg...

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2020/02/07/review-of-longstreet-at-gettysburg-a-critical-reassessment-by-cory-m-pfarr/

Blaine L. Pardoe
Interesting. 
I am indifferent toward Longstreet, but I think he was wronged in the sense that blame always needs to be assigned after a defeat.  What general hasn't made a mistake in the course of any battle?  There are too many unknowns, both sides are acting to counter the other's moves, and there is just so much that a leader can do to coordinate a battle once it has begun.  Often, one side wins simply because they made fewer mistakes than the other.  Fingers should not be pointed unless glaring incompetence is evident.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #103 on: 21 February 2020, 10:36:18 »
And now for some BattleTech - the inside story of Snord's Irregulars... 

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2020/02/21/snords-irregulars-the-inside-story/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #104 on: 21 February 2020, 10:53:30 »
New paint scheme!  Yay!

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2020/02/21/snords-irregulars-the-inside-story/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #105 on: 21 February 2020, 13:35:02 »
Good stuff!

Thanks for another peek behind the curtain.
I have spoken.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 21 February 2020, 17:59:00 »
May that last bit of non-canon fiction become canon. :thumbsup:

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #107 on: 21 February 2020, 18:08:16 »
May that last bit of non-canon fiction become canon. :thumbsup:

Ya never know...

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #108 on: 21 February 2020, 18:24:42 »
Thanks for sharing!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #109 on: 21 February 2020, 18:51:34 »
A good read, as always, but I'm still an old school grognard… what is all this nonsense past the 4th SW?

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #110 on: 24 February 2020, 09:49:59 »
A good read, as always, but I'm still an old school grognard… what is all this nonsense past the 4th SW?

Some people did some things...

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #111 on: 24 February 2020, 17:50:45 »
Touché, good sir, touché!  ^-^

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 24 February 2020, 19:49:37 »
I will do an entire uncontrolled rant on the Jihad at some point in a future episode, complete with alcohol.  I promise.
Oh I have got to have that in a podcast.

Love the background and behind-the-scenes stuff.
“Death by sourcebook” had become the accepted norm.  Throwaway one-liners in fluff material unceremoniously buried decades worth of character development.
The Black Thorns called, they're holding on line...oh wait, they hung up.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #113 on: 25 February 2020, 02:27:36 »
The Black Thorns called, they're holding on line...oh wait, they hung up.
...and that's why I liked the Jihad. Certain characters and units were overused to the point where it was plain silly. I can absolutely understand Mr. Pardoe being attached to his carefully crafted characters, and I can see how the Donner Bombing was a crude plot device. But I loved to see the Kell Hounds, Wolf's Dragoons, and their ilk torched. And I was miffed that they didn't stay dead for good.

What happened to the "die by the sword" part?

If your characters can do no wrong they can become trite. Case in point, Trent. What an awesome character - kudos to Mr. Pardoe here. But I'd argue his late winning streak in Forever Faithful was so over the top that it broke the character and turned him into just another Stackpolian superhero:
Not only did he make Paul Moon eat humble pie but even turned him into the high priest of the Cult of Trent; he taught the Smoke Jaguars of all people the arts of planning and logistics; he singlehandedly saved the Jags, turned them into the Fidelis and stole their Remembrance from under Paul Masters' nose; and he even "got the girl" by getting married - as a Clanner!
I'd say Trent was a great and wonderful loser, but the last book upended it all.
At least he got a proper sendoff book though.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #114 on: 26 February 2020, 14:56:17 »
Still miffed about Barbar's Marauders ending...

They should have beating those Toads with the weapondary they had.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #115 on: 26 February 2020, 15:52:31 »
If your characters can do no wrong they can become trite. Case in point, Trent. What an awesome character - kudos to Mr. Pardoe here. But I'd argue his late winning streak in Forever Faithful was so over the top that it broke the character and turned him into just another Stackpolian superhero:
Not only did he make Paul Moon eat humble pie but even turned him into the high priest of the Cult of Trent; he taught the Smoke Jaguars of all people the arts of planning and logistics; he singlehandedly saved the Jags, turned them into the Fidelis and stole their Remembrance from under Paul Masters' nose; and he even "got the girl" by getting married - as a Clanner!
I'd say Trent was a great and wonderful loser, but the last book upended it all.
At least he got a proper sendoff book though.

Interesting perspective. Let me offer this.  Trent lost everything. His actions spelled the end of the clan that he knew.  He never got to see the rise of the Fidelis. Married?  Neg.  He was very close to his little Nova Cat friend, but he lost Judith from the original series as well.  Trent never got to enjoy the fruits of his last great victory because he died. He gave up his own identity. Trent led his people not into the limelight, but into a forced secrecy. They would not be able to even say who they are until 3151-ish.   
Yes, he won over Paul Moon, but Moon had his own very distinct character arc over multiple books, as did Trent.  Trent won over Moon by fighting him, the Clan way.  Paul Moon went from being the villain to being the true light of the Jaguars.  He did not really win - he assumed a massive burden he bore throughout his very long life.   
To me, as a writer, BattleTech is about big damn heroic characters. People want to identify with characters that are above and beyond.  I had this discussion last night with the editor.  Yes, they suffer heartache and loss, but if they don't prevail, why bother reading about them? 
When people whine "Mary Sue" or whimper "Plot armor" it usually is because the loss the characters suffer is not equal to how great the characters are.  Let's face it, would you enjoy reading a book where all of the Wolf's Dragoons were wiped out?  Yet when they prevail, people bemoan their survival as bad writing.  (Shaking my head here)
Then again, that's my take on things. That doesn't make them right, it just makes them my opinion. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe   
Author

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 26 February 2020, 16:20:50 »
I'm reminded of the book that detailed the destruction of the Gray Death Legion.  It was like watching members of your family getting picked off.  We weren't even allowed survivors.  Even Alex Carlyle wasn't allowed to live out a life or have children.  With his passing, everything that the unit had accomplished was erased, except for the memory core.
I did not enjoy any of that.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #117 on: 26 February 2020, 21:32:49 »
I'm reminded of the book that detailed the destruction of the Gray Death Legion.

I truly miss GDL novels. Decision On Thunder Rift was my first BT novel (when I was in the army 25 years ago - lots of free time in the cavalry branch) and brings me a bunch of memories. Would give a kidney for more... miss old Alex...  :'(
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #118 on: 27 February 2020, 12:13:00 »

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
When can we expect to see the story on a certain "Court Appointed" person?   ;)

;D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #119 on: 28 February 2020, 08:41:03 »
That was wonderful insight.  i think Blaine's post is ironic for me, since i was just reading Gray Markets and one the stories was about Snords in the short story - Permanent Losses.

I looking forward new stories!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki