Author Topic: Miniatures of the Fortnight #89: Shootist, Grendel, and Shadow Cat  (Read 4257 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
I'll start this fortnight with a confession: I've never read the Black Thorns novels.  I'm only really familiar with them from the sourcebook, which I purchased used, and I only really purchased used at the time for the new 'Mechs in the back.  I was young and I was inexperienced.  (I was never stupid, just hindered with poor judgment.)  This was good in a way because, well, I liked the 'Mechs and I have an irrational fondness for the two OmniMechs.

If you've never picked up the sourcebook, it includes three 'Mechs, a rare Star Leagure-era 'Mech fielded by ComStar, the Shootist, and two Clan OmniMechs, the Grendel and the Shadow Cat.  All of these would later appear in Technical Readout: 3058.  (How many Clan 'Mechs in that book were original?)  I can't really tell you how to use these in a game because I don't get to play often.  The Shootist doesn't appear to have a 'Mech of the Week article but it has an AC/20, so you know what to do.  The Clan "Mechs do have articles (Grendel and Shadow Cat).

The Shootist has only had a single sculpt (20-684).

The Grendel has two sculpts, one normal scale (20-677) and one BattleForce-scale (20-9114).

The Shadow Cat also has two sculpts, one normal scale (20-991) and one BattleForce-scale (20-9115).

If you have any of these miniatures painted, please share pictures.  We'd love to see them!

Thank you for reading and a special thank you to those of you who will post.

Is there a mini you want to see covered in Q2?  Place your request in the scheduling thread!  I'll be scheduling that quarter soon!

Our next two fortnights will be:
  • Inner Sphere (3/9): Hermes and Hermes II
  • Clan (3/23): Fire Falcon and Cougar

Luciora

• Major
Re: Miniatures of the Fortnight #89: Shootist, Grendel, and Shadow Cat
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2020, 02:23:51 »
Shootists first. 2 8Cs and 2 9Cs. Also "MechaTankus" from the DemoCon faction of the Drones of Syberia.  Totally did that with a straight face.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2020, 02:24:54 »
Grendel, Shadow Cat Prime and Shadow Cat C

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2020, 18:23:21 »
Shootist:

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2020, 18:24:19 »
Grendels from Sea Fox Alpha and Snow Raven Beta:

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2020, 18:26:13 »
Shadow Cats from Sea Fox Alpha, Clan Wolf in Exile, and Snow Raven Delta:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2020, 01:47:57 »
Quick and dirty pics from work.  One Grendel and one Shadow Cat, both Jade Falcon Delta Galaxy.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2020, 14:54:48 »
Old Smoke Jag-ish Grendel and Shadow Cat and a more recent Shootist.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2020, 15:52:01 »
One of each...

Shootist: 50th Shadow Division
Grendel: Clan Diamond Shark Beta

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2020, 15:54:53 »
Shadow Cat: Clan Diamond Shark Beta galaxy.

As far as I know, there is only one production number of the Shadow Cat, but there are two slightly different production variants. One has a rail on top of the Gauss cannon, the other not, plus some minor differences in the panels on the back of the torso. I still can't differentiate which one is the older one, but I got those differences shown by a friend with examples of both models.

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2020, 10:44:56 »
Shadow Cat: Clan Diamond Shark Beta galaxy.

As far as I know, there is only one production number of the Shadow Cat, but there are two slightly different production variants. One has a rail on top of the Gauss cannon, the other not, plus some minor differences in the panels on the back of the torso. I still can't differentiate which one is the older one, but I got those differences shown by a friend with examples of both models.

You are correct, the 2nd slightly different sculpt is from the old Ral Partha Mechwarrior 3 Clan pack. These and the MechCommander packs all had slightly different sculpts, mostly just additional paneling or details added to them.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2020, 11:18:32 »
(typed this up before I read all the posts. Dirty Harry and Heavyguard nailed it.)

The Shadow Cat also has two sculpts, one normal scale (20-991) and one BattleForce-scale (20-9115).

Three sculpts. The first (20-672) was posted by Kibutsu (Old Smoke Jag-ish Shadow Cat) and Luciora (both, but the Prime is stock). The second sculpt (20-991) is a detailed-up version of the first, released first in the MechWarrior 3 Clan Boxed Set by Ral Partha and later replaced the first in individual distribution. It has raised details, most notably on the upper rear center torso and arms. You can see them best on Dirty Harry's contribution. And then the BF-scale (20-9115).
« Last Edit: 28 February 2020, 11:34:45 by Cache »

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2020, 16:08:09 »
Here are mine; Star League era Lyran Guards Shootist a Tiburon Khanate Grendel!

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
MW:DA Shadow Cat E with a point of Thunderbird battle armour. Yes, I know the E variant doesn't have a hand actuator—but it looks silly without one.

Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
wow

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
I think that Shadow Cat is in trouble.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
I think that Shadow Cat is in trouble.

The Shadow Cat is transporting them... not in trouble at all.

Hellraiser

• Colonel

Transport locations are on the torso.

Those things are clearly climbing the arms on their way to the cockpit, hence, in trouble  ;)

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Wolf72

• Captain

It does look like someone's Mom is about to threaten to pull the car over unless they all settle down.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
The way it seems to be angled down/forward,  its like She's already hit the breaks, LOL.

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
The way it seems to be angled down/forward,  its like She's already hit the breaks, LOL.

Just getting ready to launch them the the First Order's Treadspeeders!  :D ;D

Register