Author Topic: Mercenary Hall  (Read 204543 times)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Re: Mercenary Hall
« Reply #1230 on: 15 August 2021, 05:43:59 »
I did a quick read of their new story. Didn't they find a Gargoyle in a trash pile? I get the mechs to plowshares idea seemed to be popular but that seems a bit ridiculous. You'd think the LCAF wouldn't look a clan mech in the mouth, even during the republic era.

I get the feeling that at the end of the jihad they just looked at what was quickly repairable and dumped everything else in the boneyard. It didn't say how long they worked to get the Gargoyle working again and how many other wrecks they stripped to repair it.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1231 on: 15 August 2021, 11:00:29 »
Some have also theorized that it might have been “dumped” as a means to create a private company only to be forgotten or the original landowner was killed before the mechs could be put to use.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1232 on: 13 December 2023, 19:18:16 »
Dust this off . . .

The latest issue gives us 2 or maybe 3 more Hiring Hall world set ups . . .

First would be Son Hoa, which to me from the Gladiator fluff sounded like it sort of developed first as a equipment buying/repair location into covering the trade in that section of the periphery.

Second is a obscure bit . . . but why would Almotacen have a Merc Employment Broker if it had not at least become a minor hub out in the Hinterlands?

And the GDL story again made reference to their operations on Garrison, to include the scrapyard being a source of parts & equipment for a long time to come even with the booming war material market.  So it is at least a place to pick up or refit gear if needed . . . though the GDL and others got hired from there for the Tamar Pact.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1233 on: 20 December 2023, 13:48:25 »
I do like how Shrapnel tries to address the looming problem of payment in universe.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1234 on: 20 December 2023, 13:49:53 »
duplicate
« Last Edit: 18 January 2024, 07:28:00 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1235 on: 20 December 2023, 15:06:16 »
Which makes me wonder: is there a Sphere wide currency left? I would suspect that the C-Bill is dead by now as the company behind it (Comstar) is also pretty much dead.
So far it was usually the C-Bill which was used to pay Mercenaries but from the Era Report and FM 3145 it seems that alot of units began to prefer payment in ammo and parts then C-Bills or even House script. If we ever get a real Star League and not a 6 worlds around Terra I would bet the Kerensky might become the new Sphere wide currency. Or the Alaric dollar  :evil:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1236 on: 20 December 2023, 18:55:52 »
Which makes me wonder: is there a Sphere wide currency left? I would suspect that the C-Bill is dead by now as the company behind it (Comstar) is also pretty much dead.
So far it was usually the C-Bill which was used to pay Mercenaries but from the Era Report and FM 3145 it seems that alot of units began to prefer payment in ammo and parts then C-Bills or even House script. If we ever get a real Star League and not a 6 worlds around Terra I would bet the Kerensky might become the new Sphere wide currency. Or the Alaric dollar  :evil:

. . . the article sort of addresses this?  But it, I think, also covered some of our discussions in the past.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1237 on: 22 December 2023, 07:08:18 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1238 on: 22 December 2023, 08:53:51 »
For the foreseeable future I would imagine the currency is decentralized.  The C-Bill may come back because I doubt the Kerensky-bill (or Sea Fox currency) will truly catch on.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1239 on: 22 December 2023, 09:52:17 »
For the foreseeable future I would imagine the currency is decentralized.  The C-Bill may come back because I doubt the Kerensky-bill (or Sea Fox currency) will truly catch on.
It's likely that the Star League dollar will come back if Star League is fully reestablished.
Work Credits like Kerenskies are internal currency.
Sea Fox Credit would likely be leading candidate for true interstellar currency.

It's up to writers and developers want to do.

Sea Fox Credit as it stands, especially as their running the old Mercenary Review Board  in name, it gives more power/credablity to their currency.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1240 on: 22 December 2023, 11:18:15 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1241 on: 22 December 2023, 12:41:18 »
It strikes me that Houses would have a lot of incentive to pay contacts in House Bills.  Aside from granting nobilities and providing land like House Davion is doing, how better to force a continued relationship with a mercenary company than to pay them in script that is (nearly) worthless anywhere else?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1242 on: 22 December 2023, 14:26:56 »
A counter to that is that a house bills maybe not worth that much and could trap mercenaries who bounce between borders having to try to do exchanges . Withe Sea Fox Credits you can go anywhere without annoyance doing changes and hopefully u will come on top.

Right now as of 3152, economy is in ruins.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1243 on: 22 December 2023, 16:01:22 »
Pretty much as every realm is more or less engaged in war. And what is worse the Jumpships are essentially tied to any push that comes about. I get the feeling that it is the Sea Foxes who will be the deciding factor in convincing the Houses to join the coming Star League because militarily this conflict is not winnable for the Wolves.

The only pay that might make a mercenary happy that likes to switch between employers might be precious metals or something else with universal value. I think FM 3145 mentioned that mercernaries at that time preferred payment in ammunition or spare parts instead of house script especially as some Houses looked to fall (the Suns and the Commonwealth especially though that seems to have past for now)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1244 on: 22 December 2023, 16:38:36 »
It's likely that the Star League dollar will come back if Star League is fully reestablished.
Work Credits like Kerenskies are internal currency.
Sea Fox Credit would likely be leading candidate for true interstellar currency.

It's up to writers and developers want to do.
Sea Fox Credit as it stands, especially as their running the old Mercenary Review Board  in name, it gives more power/credablity to their currency.

It is also possible that the Sea Foxes' ask could be that the SFC becomes the official currency of the new Star League.
Colt Ward

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1245 on: 17 January 2024, 07:25:53 »
I saw this in the "Ilclan prediction thread" but I think it fits better here:

As I haven't read this full thread or have seen other threads I just want to ask: do bigger Mercenary units that don't have their own planet (Like the northwind highlanders or Kell Hounds) have some form of "investment portfolio"? For examle the Dragoons have been described as having investments in many companies (also companies that then work for them). would that also be true for let's say Hampton's Hessens or Hansen's Roughriders? there is not much talk about how those units actually spend their income. I know from the FM Mercenaries that for example the Crimson Curaissieres (a rather small unit) invested heavily in stocks and other tech companies but that was more because of their leader who inherited a fortune. And would Mercs be seen as good investors? After all Mercs can be, at one point, end on the other side of the gun sight (then again, that's what investment companies are for right?)

Register