Author Topic: 3025 - How Common was LosTech?  (Read 2167 times)

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
3025 - How Common was LosTech?
« on: 03 March 2024, 11:32:48 »
One thing that seems very inconsistent to me is the amount of LosTech of different kinds in the just-before-Helm period.

The scale goes from:
Even default 'Mech technology is irreplaceable, and factories producing standard mechs are incomprehensibly complex and wholly automated
To
Some SL stuff exists in caches that are fairly common, and is not unlikely for a random person to encounter at some point. Acquiring it is merely a matter of wealth, and any specific piece is hard to find (e.g. finding an LB-X 10 specifically is hard. Finding any old LB-X less so).
To
Plop on over to the system with the nearest known cache and buy it at the open-air bazaar - though the black market has what you need if not there

I want to make a realistic 3035ish look at the Andalusia Division (5th Brigade of the Oriente Fusiliers). Their whole shtick is they have a whole library of ancient Star League repair manuals, and they have six battalion's worth including their Heavy Tank Regiment. A thumb rule of mine has been:
Allowed (e.g. find-able):
Enhanced energy weapons (ER weapons, Blazers, PPCs)
Endo-steel chassis
CASE
'Mech designs that have survived but are downgraded
Vehicle designs that have survived but are downgraded

Not allowed:
DHS (they have such a whopping effect on the unit using them I imagine they're the rarest thing someone can let go of)
Gauss weapons
LBX weapons
Unavailable 'Mech designs

But the things I can't decide about are:
Ferro-fiborous armor (armor is the first thing to get destroyed, but at the same time, the easiest to repair presumably)
Special ammunition types
Computer systems/electronics (B-2000 on the Cyclops, BAP, ECM, Artemis, Streak)
Pulse lasers
Unavailable vehicle designs (e.g. Gallant, Pollux)

I want to know availability because I think while they can probably *repair* them with their manuals, obviously producing brand new tech is beyond the Fusiliers. So I want to know how much is reasonably acquirable (since it isn't produced) that they can then repair.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2024, 15:32:40 by CarcosanDawn »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: 3025 - How Common was LosTech?
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2024, 12:03:03 »
the whole early setting mad max decay was retconned pretty early. new mechs can, and are built

outside of the hands of comstar, it was very rare and usually obtained from long-forgotten caches or perhaps a meticulously preserved heirloom. IO:AE lists these technologies as "extinct" - which it defines not as "gone" but exceedingly rare -

Quote from: Interstellar Operations: Alternate Eras, pg 27
"An Availability code of X for a given era means the item doesn’t exist, has gone extinct, or is so incredibly rare as to be effectively unique in the universe."

One of the main problems is that no one is manufacturing the equipment and precious few people are talented enough to repair it when it breaks (see IO:AE pg 14-15)

once reproduced from the helm core, these items become increasingly more common in the 3030s and 3040s (also operation rosebud).

could you get an LB-10x from the black market? if you look hard enough you can probably find anything. but can you pay?

the HBS game set a hilariously broken standard for lostech.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2024, 12:05:39 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2024, 13:28:09 »
the whole early setting mad max decay was retconned pretty early. new mechs can, and are built

outside of the hands of comstar, it was very rare and usually obtained from long-forgotten caches or perhaps a meticulously preserved heirloom. IO:AE lists these technologies as "extinct" - which it defines not as "gone" but exceedingly rare -

One of the main problems is that no one is manufacturing the equipment and precious few people are talented enough to repair it when it breaks (see IO:AE pg 14-15)

once reproduced from the helm core, these items become increasingly more common in the 3030s and 3040s (also operation rosebud).

could you get an LB-10x from the black market? if you look hard enough you can probably find anything. but can you pay?

the HBS game set a hilariously broken standard for lostech.

So by War of 3039, do my thumb rules make sense?

As far as depictions go, I agree - HBS Battletech seems easier than the implication. OTOH, you get unexceptional mercenary companies with 1/4th of their mechs being SLDF lostech models, and exceptional ones running around with Spartans and the like. It can't be that uncommon, since having 1 mech in 4 being SLDF-standard won't last long if the parts are "Heirloom-only" level rare. Heck, take a single armor bubble on a mech with Ferro-Fiborous and you have to either Patchwork it to repair it, or replace the armor with Standard... at least if I understand how it works... lol.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2024, 13:45:39 »
I dunno, it’s your baby. Most of that gear is going to be in very short supply (and the parts to fix them) before the mid 3030s.

There is an increasing amount of helmtech floating around, especially in the 3040s. You see this by the large number of production variants show up between 3047 and 3049 where saturation has hit sustainable mass-manufacturing and deployment levels. All but the most well-equipped regiments are still going to be rolling into battle with mostly introtech into the mid 3050s.

Examples of super units boasting massive piles of crazy tech are the outliers (and the ones you write books about). Most merc outfits are barely scrapping by - if fiction was a historical chronicle rather than a vehicle to tell exciting stories, we’d have an entire library of John Doe’s Merc Outfit that were destroyed or bankrupted in the first year.

Ultimately you have to do what’s fun and makes you happy

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2024, 14:08:35 »
I dunno, it’s your baby. Most of that gear is going to be in very short supply (and the parts to fix them) before the mid 3030s.

There is an increasing amount of helmtech floating around, especially in the 3040s. You see this by the large number of production variants show up between 3047 and 3049 where saturation has hit sustainable mass-manufacturing and deployment levels. All but the most well-equipped regiments are still going to be rolling into battle with mostly introtech into the mid 3050s.

Examples of super units boasting massive piles of crazy tech are the outliers (and the ones you write books about). Most merc outfits are barely scrapping by - if fiction was a historical chronicle rather than a vehicle to tell exciting stories, we’d have an entire library of John Doe’s Merc Outfit that were destroyed or bankrupted in the first year.

Ultimately you have to do what’s fun and makes you happy

Well, what's fun and makes me happy is fleshing out parts of the background - picking a unit that *hasn't* had a novel about it and making a novel about them, haha.

One that fits the lore as best I can - hence my question. If the novel is "The 5th Fusiliers of Oriente went bankrupt in their first year" that's okay; I just don't think it's true.

The Fifth Fusiliers of Oriente narrative hooks in 3030s:
- one of the most battle-hardened units in the Inner Sphere (certainly the FWL); they are rated Regular not for lack of veterans but for the influx of replacements
- have not one, but two ex-SLDF units on their roster (2 of their regiments - 'Mech and Armor)
- fought the Wolf's Dragoons in battles both lost and won (mostly during the whole Anton Marik thing).
- is supplied by the LCCC but often receives units purchased with the Duke of Oriente's private funds (to the point where the LCCC has shorted them regular supply, much to everyone including the CG's anger).
- Terran origins (despite not being a Royal regiment)

Most of their blurb in the Field Manual focuses on bullet 2 and how cool and Star-League-y they are, but I am not sure how to play that up... Hence this thread, lol. Or do I? It's post 3050, maybe that's the only reason it is even mentioned.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2024, 15:29:40 by CarcosanDawn »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2024, 16:56:14 »
You could play up the star league aspect without using lostech.

Give them lots of the downgraded sldf mechs. Especially the more iconic stuff. Crabs, highlander, orion, etc.
Have them try to follow sldf practice of lances with predominately one type of mech in them.

And its already official that they use sldf color scheme (probably meaning olive drab) and sldf markings like the cameron star, alongside the FWL logo.

That can give you a lot of star league flavor while keeping the actual amount of lostech in play limited.

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2024, 17:46:28 »
You could play up the star league aspect without using lostech.

Give them lots of the downgraded sldf mechs. Especially the more iconic stuff. Crabs, highlander, orion, etc.
Have them try to follow sldf practice of lances with predominately one type of mech in them.

And its already official that they use sldf color scheme (probably meaning olive drab) and sldf markings like the cameron star, alongside the FWL logo.

That can give you a lot of star league flavor while keeping the actual amount of lostech in play limited.

Yep, largely done that already - lots of the same kind of mech in the same unit I haven't tried but that's a fantastic idea.

As for everything else, I think the only new mech design I use is the Flea. Mostly it's guillotines, exterminators, crabs, Orion, etc. FWL lacks access to a highlander altogether on the MUL.

Isn't every mech in the Secession Wars one that the SLDF used except like, the very few houses have produced (that are pretty clear)?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2024, 18:26:57 »
you could justify the non-FWL-MUL units as being either relics from their time as a star league unit, or as part of the hardware the Duke of Oriente obtains for them directly. if he's buying stuff for them as a private individual he could easily be getting stuff across state lines using agents and front companies.

just because something doesn't show up on the mUl for a faction doesn't mean it isn't around, it just means that there are enough of it in service to merit special note.

and yes most of the classic introtech designs are stuff made by or for the star league, but they're not really the 'iconic' star league units. as players when people think of 'star league designs' they tend to think of the stuff from TRO2750. in setting, this is probably true as well. since most those TRo2750 designs ended up being uncommon, rare, or effectively extinct.. while most of the ex-SLDF TRO3025 designs not only stayed in fairly high production but had factories across multiple successor states once the hegemony was parted out, not to mention all the ones that successor states picked up from SLDF defectors and as salvage during the succession wars.

so while a Battlemaster might have been a star league design, most people aren't going to think "star league" when they see it, the way they would a highlander.

« Last Edit: 03 March 2024, 18:36:11 by glitterboy2098 »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2024, 19:52:18 »
And, of course, you also get cases of battlefield salvage/capture and the occasional oddball who joins the unit with their own personal mech, too.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2024, 00:05:24 »
In 3025, LosTech is common enough that the only examples are the stuff GMs created for their campaigns. Once TRO:2750 was published, all bets were off. :wink:
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2024, 02:44:53 »
Lore wise you have to remember that the industrial base of the IS was wasted during SW1 and 2. Which means available funds for building the "exotic" hardware are lower and I suspect that some bean counters would point out that building Mechs with available parts is cheaper then trying to reproduce advanced technology. As an example the IS never lost the means to maintain XL engines. So in theory you could encounter Mechs with XL engines. But said Mechs are also susceptible to engine hits so there might be the argument that it is less wasteful to build Mechs with normal engines since you can't build much it's better to build sturdier Mechs which can be salvaged later should they be lost. Same goes for most of the other tech as well: most should still be known but the production methods are lost with all the advanced factories been blown up. Remember the majority of high tech by the time of the Amaris coup was concentrated in the old Hegemony. Per Era Report 2750 only a few selected House companies were producing tech that was on par with what the Royal units were using. Plus with how intertwined the Camerons had made the IS markets it can be explained that the break of the SL also destroyed supply lines for production. When you need Widget A to build ER lasers but Widget A is only build in the Lyran Commonwealth and now you don't have access anymore then you might as well revert back to normal lasers

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2024, 03:21:57 »
The quick and easy answer is "No".
The longer answer is still "No.... because if you suddenly popped up with an ER Large Laser, you'd be torn apart by everyone and their aunty looking to blag it. That is if ComStar didnt just off you and disappear your mech and anyone related to knowing about it. House intel services would be asking politely for you to hand it over and then not so politely.

Owning LosTech was a case of if you did have it, you kept your mouth shut about it, locked it in a vault and never ever used it or even thought about it until it was time to quickly cash in and vanish.

If you read any of the earlier books, no one had SL tech and anyone that did, ComStar did a number on them. ComStar destroyed entire cities at the prospect of LosTech falling into someone else's hands (the GDL books). Even House Lords like Takashi Kurita and Hanse Davion piloted stock 3025 mechs. Even up to and including 3049 people like Victor SD piloted stock 3025 mechs

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 04 March 2024, 07:08:51 »
For me the timeline looks something like this for Bolton's Rangers: (Before someone nitpicks this apart, I see these more as generalizations, some of the very specific I provided were more of a general idea of what this could look like, just trying to paint a picture with details, but the details could certainly be revised further)

The Years 2nd SW- 3040 "We have some tech manuals, they speak of things we don't really know how to build. If we got our hands on a LB-X autocannon through battlefield salvage, or lostech find, they might help us understand how to maintain it. But I don't think we'd dare employ it in combat, it's too rare, too precious. The actual battlefield contribution it would make is such a drop in the bucket to what it represents if we are able to preserve it, as we have preserved our tech library. Others might greedily expend their lostech in combat, but not us. This is part of our history, not combat equipment. We'd put it in the unit's museum, or perhaps on a parade ground-only machine, as one of our Star League relics, where it can awe and inspire and continue to contribute to the unit's mystique regarding its SLDF history. Every now and then we pull out a piece of equipment and put on a rare test exercise or test fire. To the "oohs" and "ahhs" of our honored guests. Many of our members are descendants of that history and so are very invested in keeping the unit's history alive."

The Year 3044ish- "Due to the Helm Memory Core the FWLM is starting to rediscover Lostech and put it back into production. Not just as relics, but as items we can actually manufacture and employ in combat and replace when lost. The 5th Brigade' tech library is contributing to that. Our techs and mechwarriors who have spent countless hours pouring over the library are working with the FWL's best engineers and scientists to contribute what we know to this effort. Initially those scientists treated us like bone-heads who would be useless, but we proved them wrong quickly. We feel like this is a race, all the Great Houses are doing this, and this tech library is our way to contribute to winning that technology race."

The Year 3048ish- "The tech library has made several valuable contributions to the FWL's efforts to rediscover Star League technology. Several manufacturing lines have been retooled to manufacture advanced technology variants. What was "lostech" is about to become just "tech" that we use everyday. Bolton's Rangers are proud of our contribution to that. Even if a lot of it will remain classified for now. The techs of Bolton's Rangers have also learned from them as well, putting us ahead of most FWLM regiments on actually having the expertise to employ and repair such technology in the field. We have several prototype machines, like our new -3M Goliaths, that we have actually employed in combat. Within the FWLM that makes us rare, only a few of the best-equipped regiments have such equipment and the qualified techs and mechwarriors to use them. Most regiments are having to wait in line, but Bolton's Rangers are on the cutting edge because of our existing expertise and contributions to this technological renaissance."

If you can't tell by the way I framed that, I see this less like the 5th Brigade having a lot of lostech and employing it in combat, and more that the unit may have contributed to the FWL's technological renaissance in the 3040s. But then ultimately the unit saw benefits from that, employing some of that equipment when it would be extremely rare and otherwise only found in a handful of Grade "A" units. Or maybe even slightly ahead of those units, if the 5th Brigade was tasked to field test some prototypes they helped to develop before they went into mass production.

To me, a really good story about this that would fit well with what we know from canon sources, would be a collection of Bolton's Rangers techs and mechwarriors getting pulled away from the regiment in the 3040s to contribute to some hidden super-secret tech renaissance project. Them arriving to discover some incredible covert effort to solve the mysteries of Level 2 tech. There are problems that the FWL scientists and engineers have been unable to crack. With their detailed knowledge and understanding of the tech manuals, the Ranger techs and mechwarriors are able to help solve some of the toughest mysteries and problems the FWL engineers are struggling with. Interesting story ensues.

Maybe toward the end of that effort some of those techs/mechwarriors return to the regiment, with some prototype equipment that the project wants to see tested in actual combat. (According to FM: FWL the unit was using some prototype -3M Goliaths in 3047, that could be treated as one for-instance of this kind of field testing)

EDIT: According to TRO: 3050 (the Original, which includes the Goliath as an entry) notes that Corean Enterprises was still building a small number of Goliaths (the bigger producer, Brigadier Corporation on Oliver, had been lost by then). But that the Goliath with its 4 legs and good stability, proved to be an excellent test-bed platform for a large weapon, the Zeus Slingshot Gauss Rifle. The success of those tests led to the -3M Goliath entering mass production. I could see personnel from Bolton's Rangers being brought in to be part of the effort to develop the Zeus Slingshot, as well as the variant as a whole and then employing it as a test prototype in the field.

Going back to the beginning here, of the original poster's question about 3025. I think Bolton's Rangers represent a group of people interested in preserving Star League relics back in 3025. Compared to some other combat unit that might not care about preserving history and care more about how that lostech find can be exploited today to have an edge to win a battle. (and in turn, it's highly likely, eventually destroying that Lostech in battle)
« Last Edit: 04 March 2024, 08:16:44 by Alan Grant »

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #13 on: 04 March 2024, 13:12:39 »
In 3025, Yorinaga Kurita is driving a Warhammer without any. It's so nonexistent that the entire Draconis Combine can't find a scrap of it to give to their ultra-mega-giga-super-ace.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2024, 13:45:18 »
 Totalitarian governments and efficient governments are distinct concepts. It is quite likely that the Combine does indeed have massive storehouses of Star League military weapons because they tend to store such items en masse. It would be quite believable for them to not know that they have such items or where they are even stored while manning and maintaining the very warehouses that they are housed in. I would not doubt that other states would help with that...
« Last Edit: 04 March 2024, 14:44:57 by Minemech »

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2024, 14:20:07 »
I can legitimately see Great Houses socking such items away into locked vaults. Boxed and catalogued and studied. It's practically in the same category as treasure or art. Irreplaceable items that you just don't let the enemy shoot at and destroy. It's too precious for that. (yes, there will be exceptions, often famous ones, that's not an absolute rule, it's a generalization, but it holds up. Most of the people chasing Lostech in 3025 just see it as valuable treasure that might make them rich.)

It isn't until the War of '39 that some Level 2 tech starts to reappear on the battlefield in meaningful quantities. But mostly as prototype versions of Level 2 Tech that Historical: War of '39 provides special rules for. On the Combine side it takes the form of some (non-prototype) Level 2 tech gifted to the Combine by ComStar, which the Fed Com found quite shocking to encounter during the war. The book Historical: War of '39 covers this well, explaining the overall situation, the slow but noticable reintroduction of Level 2 tech, some special prototypes and providing tabletop rules for it. It does a great job of marking the War of '39 as a turning point where Level 2 tech is starting to make a reappearance on the battlefield in a meaningful way.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2024, 14:52:33 by Alan Grant »

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2024, 15:14:23 »
Didn't Ricol not tell the Coordinator about the SL gear he managed too pull out of the helm depot with the help of the Gray Death Leagion? Heck I think he didn't even tell him about the copy of the SL archive he obtained. I would bet that within the political game the lords often hid some stuff they might be able to use against each other. Or perhaps gain some more favorable concession by "coincidentaly" finding something their leadership needs at the most urgent hour.

On another note I would bet that some planets are still having SL techniques at the ready not just be able or willing to share them. For example El Dorado, ohne of the Suns Golden Five worlds, is described to never really have lost their advanced technologies and thanks to it's rather safe location in the interior was never a target for destructive raids. But maybe said planetary rulers couldn't or didn't want to share it's secrets. Perhpas even both

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 04 March 2024, 16:13:16 »
Didn't Ricol not tell the Coordinator about the SL gear he managed too pull out of the helm depot with the help of the Gray Death Leagion? Heck I think he didn't even tell him about the copy of the SL archive he obtained. I would bet that within the political game the lords often hid some stuff they might be able to use against each other. Or perhaps gain some more favorable concession by "coincidentaly" finding something their leadership needs at the most urgent hour.
we also don't know exactly what was found. it may well have been older reserve equipment for SLDF, which would have been predominantly introtech level. after all the helm complex was primarily a munitions storage facility, not a garrison base or mech depot. and the annex that the GDL uncovered was an add-on organized by an engineering officer meant primarily to house the library system and hide some of the local SLDF garrison's hardware to prevent it being stolen.

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 04 March 2024, 16:38:36 »
Totalitarian governments and efficient governments are distinct concepts. It is quite likely that the Combine does indeed have massive storehouses of Star League military weapons because they tend to store such items en masse. It would be quite believable for them to not know that they have such items or where they are even stored while manning and maintaining the very warehouses that they are housed in. I would not doubt that other states would help with that...

Hanse Davion and Morgan Kell didn't have any either, so it's not just the Combine who didn't know.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 04 March 2024, 16:40:54 »
Have we ever seen anything like Lostech availability rules for 3025? Or rules for finding/using Lostech in 3025? Feels like that's what the original poster is looking for.

And now that I've re-read parts of Historical: War of '39, the tech rules for all that, it feels like Lostech or Level 2 tech availability for 3025 rules should be somewhere?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #20 on: 04 March 2024, 16:50:12 »
I can legitimately see Great Houses socking such items away into locked vaults. Boxed and catalogued and studied. It's practically in the same category as treasure or art. Irreplaceable items that you just don't let the enemy shoot at and destroy. It's too precious for that. (yes, there will be exceptions, often famous ones, that's not an absolute rule, it's a generalization, but it holds up. Most of the people chasing Lostech in 3025 just see it as valuable treasure that might make them rich.)

It isn't until the War of '39 that some Level 2 tech starts to reappear on the battlefield in meaningful quantities. But mostly as prototype versions of Level 2 Tech that Historical: War of '39 provides special rules for. On the Combine side it takes the form of some (non-prototype) Level 2 tech gifted to the Combine by ComStar, which the Fed Com found quite shocking to encounter during the war. The book Historical: War of '39 covers this well, explaining the overall situation, the slow but noticable reintroduction of Level 2 tech, some special prototypes and providing tabletop rules for it. It does a great job of marking the War of '39 as a turning point where Level 2 tech is starting to make a reappearance on the battlefield in a meaningful way.

Didn't TRO 2750 have a line in one of the Aerospace Fighter entries about how the Free Worlds League had three of them that were fully intact and just sitting on display in a museum?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 04 March 2024, 16:50:40 »
no, but they never really revisited 3025. FASA was loathe to do anything but move forward (star league house book being the only exception)  and it seems Fanpro and CGL have a strange refusal to visit this particular era. producing era reports for every major era except 3025
The Suns will shine again

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 04 March 2024, 17:09:50 »
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 04 March 2024, 18:42:56 »
no, but they never really revisited 3025. FASA was loathe to do anything but move forward (star league house book being the only exception)  and it seems Fanpro and CGL have a strange refusal to visit this particular era. producing era reports for every major era except 3025
I find the 30th and early 31st century the most amusing periods for roleplay and fanfiction. If you remove or tame the Dragoons, there is a lot of good stuff there.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 04 March 2024, 18:47:57 »
Hanse Davion and Morgan Kell didn't have any either, so it's not just the Combine who didn't know.
Successor States are humungous machines full of layers of interests. They are full of magnanimous and petty individuals in all of those levels, with plenty of politicking. Truth is, if I were from the Combine, I would not tell the government if there were Star League weapons in my warehouses. The same would likely be true with any other state. People who are close to that stuff disappear, and the denizens of the Inner Sphere know it.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 04 March 2024, 19:03:57 »
I find the 30th and early 31st century the most amusing periods for roleplay and fanfiction. If you remove or tame the Dragoons, there is a lot of good stuff there.

there's no need to tame the 'goons, they're a big unit sure but they're not exactly dominating the entire inner sphere, I mean... it's just 5 regiments for god's sake. they're not the only multi regimental merc unit in the IS
The Suns will shine again

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 04 March 2024, 19:59:23 »
iirc the Arkab Legions did manage to keep some lostech machines running, through very extensive salvage efforts across the IS to find components. but iirc they also only revealed them publicly during the clan invasion, so i'd guess they were not being used on the battlefield much at all during the late succession wars.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2024, 20:06:01 by glitterboy2098 »

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 04 March 2024, 21:40:24 »
As far as we know....

Or any of the people who took it apart and rebuilt it with Clantech know.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 05 March 2024, 06:50:45 »
we also don't know exactly what was found. it may well have been older reserve equipment for SLDF, which would have been predominantly introtech level. after all the helm complex was primarily a munitions storage facility, not a garrison base or mech depot. and the annex that the GDL uncovered was an add-on organized by an engineering officer meant primarily to house the library system and hide some of the local SLDF garrison's hardware to prevent it being stolen.

The novel tells of Mechs being stored there. Several, probably hundreds. Of course none of them were on ready five status. From what Iremember it also states that there were unforms, ammuniton (fair enough fr a ammunition depot) but also tanks. And if this is all pristine then even if these are regular army gear not Royal gear that would make a huge boost for a military filled with centuries old Mechs that often are jury rigged to work

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 06 March 2024, 07:45:22 »
Thanks for the ideas folks! I was inspired by lots in this thread and can't quite everyone individually, but I like the stories posited so far.

Availability tables/some understanding of availability is what I was seeking, yes. It seems .... varyingly common.