Author Topic: So Fallout 76...  (Read 12931 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: So Fallout 76...
« Reply #60 on: 13 June 2018, 19:01:27 »
Seriously?  Just to check, this is the same alarm clock that eats batteries like Tic Tacs, right?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #61 on: 13 June 2018, 19:34:55 »
Seriously?  Just to check, this is the same alarm clock that eats batteries like Tic Tacs, right?

Probably. And it seems to sell for $200-$300+, depending on its condition and if the box, game, etc. are included.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 13 June 2018, 19:39:17 »
Mind=blown

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #63 on: 14 June 2018, 17:57:02 »
Apparently vats will still be in the game, just different from what we are used to.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 17 June 2018, 09:57:56 »
VATS is going to be the one thing that I can't figure out yet for this. It's one thing to stop or slow down time for a single-player game for VATS, but in multiplayer? That's going to be messy. Either you need to constantly slow your game down, or come up with a whole new system for VATS, or remove it entirely.
I had been thinking of that too...

Fast-action combat can be uninterrupted while having VATS specify where you want to place shots and just simply place your crosshairs over a hit-box or center-mass to let the computer handle the rest a-la auto-attack.
Else, turn VATS off and run with free-aim.

The only way I could see it not negatively affecting 6 teams of 4+ players where everyone has access to stop, or, even slow play..
Would be to have a hot-key location-targeting mechanic.

Either through specific hot-key buttoning for fast select or KeyPress+MouseWheel to scroll through hit-locations, or ... Whatever mechanic is used in those god-forsaken game systems with controllers that have more than two buttons....
I think MWO Targeting Computers could have benefitted from something like this (unless they already do, because I stopped on account of creative differences over Clan implementation, I don't know how they function there).
« Last Edit: 17 June 2018, 10:37:04 by Hythos »
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 17 June 2018, 10:36:18 »
My opinion on time-fames:

Ghouls: I think they'd be fine in different ways as per original lore.

Trees: Pine and evergreens (which proliferate the Virginia's) can grow 1-2feet per year... Figure on any where the Earth we're scorched, may need several before seeding could take hold = new-growth ~50' tall at best.

Other foilage: is not problem, provided scrub brush and weeds could likewise seed.

Mutated insects: probably. Per lore insects (Fire Ants, mantis, etc) were 'easily' evolved (by FEV).

Mutated animals: I disagree with the most complex of mutations for the sake of keeping certain recognizable and reuseabe game-assets like Death Claws, but because we don't know of all of the experimentation dates of FEV, maybe these took place in the 2070's and later, making it all due to wizardry/science.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #66 on: 18 June 2018, 07:30:22 »
Well, deathclaws in particular would be out according to standard lore- during the events of the first Fallout they were still considered to be less 'menace' and more 'urban legend', mysterious creatures that had just begun to appear. Now, it's POSSIBLE that they roam West Virginia's wildlands in large numbers but only just arrived in California decades later, but... that would be a pretty hard slap at the existing canon.

The other side of it is that it's one of Fallout's most iconic elements, up there with the Vault-Boy, Nuka Cola, and Ron Perlman. So not using them would probably be tough as well.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #67 on: 18 June 2018, 08:45:02 »
honestly, that deathclaws were more of an east coast species would work for me. would help explain why FO3 and FO4 used them more than 1 and 2.. would leave NV in a kind of odd spot though.

but it is worth noting that the Deathclaw was not a natural mutation.. it was a pre-war genetically engineered weapon. so in theory it could appear anywhere.

and right now all we know about them in FO76 is that they are present.. we don't know how common they are. they might well be a "boss battle" level enemy, and thus rare.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 08:48:06 by glitterboy2098 »

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #68 on: 18 June 2018, 08:58:59 »
Did we see one in the trailer? Genuinely asking, I didn't see one in there but there was a lot going on.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #69 on: 18 June 2018, 10:34:53 »
This is on my "Maybe buy if a free trial and then only at 75% off on Steam" list.

Multiplayer - ****** no. I don't care if it has "privacy" options. The whole gameplay will be dumbed down to sub-zero to cater to the cool twitchkiddos.
They are also pushing the featured I hated the most in the last Fallout - building. I couldn't care less about it. I play for the story.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #70 on: 18 June 2018, 10:38:36 »
I'll back that last part. I know people have made some amazing settlements in Fallout 4, and more power to them, but I genuinely found it boring. As long as my settlers aren't in the red on anything major and I've got enough defenses to hold off whatever comes snooping, the bare minimum is all I care about in that regard. People have made fortresses out of places like Murkwater and I'm just like "here's some corn and some laser turrets, call me if something happens. Oh, and I'll have a custom bot head down to hang out too, so don't shoot at it."

+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 18 June 2018, 11:05:16 »
It would have been a lot better if you hadn't been stuck in first-person view and forced to interact with each object individually.  If you could have gotten an overhead view with a moveable camera, it would have been great.  Especially if there was a "mass clear debris" option that let you clean up an area with a single button click instead of having to select each tree and cinder block.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #72 on: 18 June 2018, 13:45:42 »
I loathe crafting in games with a passion usually reserved to nazis.

Loathe it. Hate it. despise it.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #73 on: 18 June 2018, 14:41:51 »
It's interesting that as other game franchises are moving away from crafting, Fallout is tripling-down.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #74 on: 18 June 2018, 14:44:50 »
Counter-cyclical

;)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 18 June 2018, 16:51:43 »
I really liked the settlement building, just not the way it was implemented.  I want it completely optional with something I can come look at when I want to.  Not, "hey, go clear this out.  Done?  cool.  Now there's two people living there that can't do a damn thing themselves.  Go raise them like cats."  Or, "thanks for saving out butts back there.  Think you could build us food, water, and shelter while we mope around? Oh, and you'll have to do this several times, or do bother trying to complete the game with this faction."  (btw, Sim settlements and it's expansion Commonwealth rising solves all this)

Sounds like this will be more like crafting your own home base though since they're borrowing from Rust and DayZ.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #76 on: 18 June 2018, 18:09:38 »
well the good news is no idiotic settlers to manage.

the bad news? no idiotic settlers to manage. we'll have to do all the work ourselves.. at least, until someone specs into robots and manages to build enough.

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #77 on: 18 June 2018, 20:17:55 »
I found the crafting system of SWG rather interesting and somewhat rewarding.
Though I have plenty of hardware to build in the real than to waste time in a virtual one, I'd give it a go, at the least...
(However, scavanging for radioactive materials and stuffs to create top-tier weapons/armor/generators/stuff will only be available via setting off nulcear weapons; crafting will be necessary. source: NoClip interview)
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #78 on: 02 July 2018, 13:07:21 »
Interesting doc about the game. https://youtu.be/gi8PTAJ2Hjs
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #79 on: 04 July 2018, 23:29:52 »
It's interesting that as other game franchises are moving away from crafting, Fallout is tripling-down.

I wouldn't mind the option of crafting, but er......not exactly sounding optional here, is it? not to mention fallout's not exactly sporting the best tools for arranging things.  xp
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.