Author Topic: So Fallout 76...  (Read 12934 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: So Fallout 76...
« Reply #30 on: 10 June 2018, 23:17:40 »
online play suggests ARK, especially the way that you can build anywhere. but the mention of instances suggests that the world will be set up kinda like Destiny and most MMO's.. main shared map, but some places will have an isolated version spun off just for you when you enter them. probably the major "dungeons" and storyline locations.

the mention of 6 'regions' suggests something like Destiny as well.. rather than one mega-huge shared map, it might be several 'just big' maps that you can travel between.. sorta like how in FO4 you have the commonwealth, nuka-world, and far harbor all as seperate map regions
« Last Edit: 10 June 2018, 23:19:53 by glitterboy2098 »

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #31 on: 10 June 2018, 23:23:55 »
online play suggests ARK, especially the way that you can build anywhere. but the mention of instances suggests that the world will be set up kinda like Destiny and most MMO's.. main shared map, but some places will have an isolated version spun off just for you when you enter them. probably the major "dungeons" and storyline locations.

the mention of 6 'regions' suggests something like Destiny as well.. rather than one mega-huge shared map, it might be several 'just big' maps that you can travel between.. sorta like how in FO4 you have the commonwealth, nuka-world, and far harbor all as seperate map regions
I suppose I wouldn't be too upset if that were the case, but 'four times bigger than Fallout 4 ('s commonwealth) leds some oddity to that statement. Perhaps these six regions are like how the southern portion of FO4's map is vastly different from the North?

That said, I hope I can make an encampment in a rad zone unlike FO4.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 11 June 2018, 00:47:59 »
Of the E3 stuff I've seen so far, Cyberpunk 2077 looks the most interesting, though I hope that unlike the Witcher series it will have a customizable protagonist.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 11 June 2018, 02:05:50 »
Of the E3 stuff I've seen so far, Cyberpunk 2077 looks the most interesting, though I hope that unlike the Witcher series it will have a customizable protagonist.
Yeah, even my wife mentioned Cyberpunk 2077. Is it related to Cyberpunk 2020?

So my feeling about Fallout 76 is this:

It's following, not leading.

It's like the devs played 7 Days to Die, Ark, Minecraft, and thought, "I want Fallout to be like this. I want it to be EXACTLY like this. This is awesome!"

That's how I feel about Zelda Breath of the Wild: It's following games like Fallout 3 (scavenging an open world where you can go anywhere and find anything), rather than leading... but at least BotW did it in a ZELDA style with the gameplay uniqueness.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #34 on: 11 June 2018, 04:39:38 »
The idea of tromping around in Power Armour with some of my mates while blowing stuff up does hold some appeal. Provisionally interested, more so if there are options for private servers like other games have.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #35 on: 11 June 2018, 07:35:02 »
The idea of tromping around in Power Armour with some of my mates while blowing stuff up does hold some appeal. Provisionally interested, more so if there are options for private servers like other games have.

Bingo. I'm not big on multiplayer games in-general (and the nuke-your-rivals thing here REALLY looks like something that will attract trolls!), but the idea of gathering a few people to do this with on a private server is really appealing. I'm in for it- I just hope Bethesda plans ahead for gamers like me.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #36 on: 11 June 2018, 08:16:58 »
Yeah, even my wife mentioned Cyberpunk 2077. Is it related to Cyberpunk 2020?

According to an article I just read on CNET, it is! Consider me intrigued!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #37 on: 11 June 2018, 15:21:11 »
Well, there goes my interest.

Same. Not my bag.

According to an article I just read on CNET, it is! Consider me intrigued!

Ooo.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #38 on: 11 June 2018, 16:08:34 »
Strongly suggest taking the Cyberpunk discussions to its own thread.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #39 on: 11 June 2018, 16:13:09 »
*shrug* I don't know... maybe I'll try it out? Multiplayer isn't really my thing, so I suppose I'll have to wait until I know more about the game.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 11 June 2018, 16:18:52 »
honestly the only thing i'm not liking right now about Fallout 76 is the number of people who are badmouthing the game and company over it being an online game. i get that an online game might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you aren't interested, just don't buy it. the number of people who seem personally and vocally offended by the game mere existing is kinda sad.

Multiplayer usually isn't my thing, either, but this looks interesting. and might be fun, especially if they have PvE servers.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #41 on: 11 June 2018, 17:16:01 »
honestly the only thing i'm not liking right now about Fallout 76 is the number of people who are badmouthing the game and company over it being an online game. i get that an online game might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you aren't interested, just don't buy it. the number of people who seem personally and vocally offended by the game mere existing is kinda sad.

People absolutely are right to say when they are disappointed by something, especially when it's a big company playing "me too" and releasing a clone of a popular indie title.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 11 June 2018, 17:33:24 »
upset is one thing. personal attacks at the company staff and at players expressing interest in the game is asomething else. as is claiming that a multiplayer game means the complete end of the franchise, or of gaming itself.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #43 on: 11 June 2018, 23:30:39 »
Apparently Private Servers will be a thing, Mod Support will be something added down the road and there will be both incentives and disencetives for PvPing. That's basically a lot of the things I wanted to hear right there and then.

Oh, and VATS too, because I suck at shooters.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #44 on: 12 June 2018, 00:24:51 »
upset is one thing. personal attacks at the company staff and at players expressing interest in the game is asomething else. as is claiming that a multiplayer game means the complete end of the franchise, or of gaming itself.

Oh, for crying out loud...yeah, there's no need for that nonsense. Dudes need to chill the hell out.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #45 on: 12 June 2018, 07:40:34 »
Apparently Private Servers will be a thing, Mod Support will be something added down the road and there will be both incentives and disencetives for PvPing. That's basically a lot of the things I wanted to hear right there and then.

Oh, and VATS too, because I suck at shooters.

VATS is going to be the one thing that I can't figure out yet for this. It's one thing to stop or slow down time for a single-player game for VATS, but in multiplayer? That's going to be messy. Either you need to constantly slow your game down, or come up with a whole new system for VATS, or remove it entirely.

+Crow T. Robot+

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 12 June 2018, 10:10:27 »
*shrug* I don't know... maybe I'll try it out? Multiplayer isn't really my thing, so I suppose I'll have to wait until I know more about the game.

Pretty much my attitude right now.  With most multiplayer games, my thought is "is this game good enough that I'll deal with the multiplayer?"  And usually, the answer is no.

1. I'm already aware I'm not the best ever gamer.  I don't need to waste time/money figuring that out.
    1a. I'm definetely not spending more time than anybody else. I don't need to compete with gaming lifers. I already know the result.
2. I want the game up front, not a monthly charge.  See #3.
3. My schedule is hell for gaming.  I'm constantly interrupted, fitting gaming in wherever I can. I want to save anytime, step away from the game at any moment, etc. That doesn't work well with multiplayer.

Nothing against multiplayer, it just doesn't fit my life right now.  But a few multiplayer games have been so good, or minimizes taking over my schedule, that I work in it anyway. Guild Wars (1 and 2) were good examples, though not all of the content is that way, enough was that I enjoyed it.  So perhaps Fallout 76 will fit.  I'll see.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #47 on: 12 June 2018, 10:49:48 »
No longer interested in this title.  Not my style of game.  Despite that, hopefully it is successful, or at least makes back it's budget, if for no other reason than to fund a proper Fallout 5 and Elder Scrolls 6.

Pretty much my attitude right now.  With most multiplayer games, my thought is "is this game good enough that I'll deal with the multiplayer?"  And usually, the answer is no.
:snip:
Pretty much how I feel about multiplayer games as well.  Throw in the annoyance of playing with/against random people on the internet, with the varying quality of skill, maturity, and decency.  I miss local multiplayer with friends.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 12 June 2018, 10:52:30 »
from the sound of things so far, looks like no monthly charge beyond the usual XBox Gold live (or equivalent) requirements for your platform (if any). buy the game up front, then play the content for free.

that said i wouldn't be surprised if they don't do DLC and some sort of season pass for said DLC.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #49 on: 12 June 2018, 21:18:09 »
People absolutely are right to say when they are disappointed by something, especially when it's a big company playing "me too" and releasing a clone of a popular indie title.
Except they aren't playing "Me too" unless you count the countless dead-or cancerous-husks of other survival games. And even then, this is basically Fallout 4 gameplay. Not even close to Rust or Ark's, and from how it sounds, the actual player-encountering will match more with Destiny than either of the other two.

Plus, they really don't have many other options for a "Multiplayer" Fallout like this. Other options included either something that was even more 'non Fallout' or 'Fallout, but with Co-Op". Not that I would've been upset with Border-Fallout-Lands (Frankly, I would've preferred it), but I'm okay with this. Still waiting until I can make private servers though.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2018, 21:19:47 by Caedis Animus »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #50 on: 13 June 2018, 01:51:33 »
I am not interested in debating that topic. I have said my piece.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 13 June 2018, 10:50:55 »
honestly, i wouldn't mind seeing some human NPC's if used for Lore related purposes. quest givers, local color (surely not all the people in the region died or were turned to feral ghouls), etc. to fill out more stuff to do. (or heck.. make them non-feral ghouls). since it is only 25 years after, this game would seem ideal for dropping lore on pre-war life.

though as it stands.. has anyone realized how this game will make Vault 76 one of the most ironically crazy vault results so far? it is a control vault, so no experiment. it works apparently perfectly, aside from the slight delay in opening. yet once the inhabitants get out, they proceed to strip mine the region, kill every animal that moves, build a bunch of forts and small factions, and then turn on each other to the point of nuking each other repeatedly..

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #52 on: 13 June 2018, 11:13:18 »
though as it stands.. has anyone realized how this game will make Vault 76 one of the most ironically crazy vault results so far? it is a control vault, so no experiment. it works apparently perfectly, aside from the slight delay in opening. yet once the inhabitants get out, they proceed to strip mine the region, kill every animal that moves, build a bunch of forts and small factions, and then turn on each other to the point of nuking each other repeatedly..

man, i doubt they're even gonna consider this game canon honestly. it's going to take about a week for some group with a name that's either unpublishable or violating copyright to take over most of the important areas through sheer numbers and that'll be that. they'll at best dummy up some general themed story thats what "actually happened", and leave the general insanity of the internet out of it.

doesn't matter to me too much, i wasn't excited for fallout for the multiplayer. i have no end of that to ignore right now.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #53 on: 13 June 2018, 11:55:14 »
With the fact that a century and change after this game's date the Brotherhood passed through on the way to DC (via a stop at The Pitt), and didn't have much to say about the trip being unusual, I'd safely say that this is non-canon. Probably ended up a wasteland like any other- small communities (many founded or at least including Vault 76 residents), but nothing wild and crazy- if there's anything even the size of Diamond City or anything like that I'd be surprised.

Something that jumped out at me: Vegetation. Fallout 4 has two-century-old dead trees everywhere you look, ditto for Fallout 3. (Vegas, of course, was saved from most direct hits by Mr. House, so its vegetation is much more robust) But here? 25 years after the bombs, this looks a lot like West Virginia as I've seen it passing through. Either this is an area that China just didn't bother with and that somehow was spared the worst of the fallout (unlikely if it has all these nuke silos for players to find!), or it took a remarkably long time for these forests to die off as they did in Boston and Maryland.

Should be interesting to see how they handle ghouls, while we're at it- the two century gap between the war and Fallout 3 and 4 means ghouls look pretty rotted (particularly in 3, they toned it down considerably for 4!). But only 25 years later? I wonder if there's going to be any addressing of the fact that ghouls look less-awful, or if 25 years is considered enough time for them to have become the ghouls we know and love (from a distance). For graphic purposes it makes sense to just use Boston's ghouls again, of course.

+Crow T. Robot+

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 13 June 2018, 14:41:22 »
from the map that got teased, it looks like the green area is largely around Vault 76..

maybe the reason it took them an extra 5 years before reclamation day was that they opened the vault after 20 years, saw the devastated wasteland.. and then decided to plant and set off several (fallout 3 style) G.E.C.K.'s around the vicinity to revitalize the region?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 13 June 2018, 17:03:47 »
I'll be giving it a try.  I mean I may as well after paying $200 for the collectors edition.   Assuming I fine one that is.  Kinda heard to buy a CE that sold out before you even found out it was available.   I managed to pull it off for FO4 though, so we'll see.

Even if this isn't the game for me, I'll be okay with its existing as long as it doesn't stop FO5.  I do like how they back tracked in the time line and I hope it's something they're willing to do in the future too.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 13 June 2018, 17:14:08 »
sadly no way i could get a collectors.. heck, i hadn't known it was even out yet when i heard it was sold out. geeze.
so i'll grab a tricentennial edition pre-order, and maybe save u pa bit to grab the pipboy prop kit from thinkgeek. i'd probably get more use out of a pipboy prop than a helmet anyway. :)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #57 on: 13 June 2018, 18:10:19 »
I was going to make some snide jokes about "collector's editions" and how they can often be found a couple months after launch for pennies on their original MSRP, but a quick eBay search shows me that Fallout collector's editions actually do hold their value. Neat. Never mind!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #58 on: 13 June 2018, 18:23:43 »
Except for the Fallout 3 alarm clock.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #59 on: 13 June 2018, 18:50:33 »
Except for the Fallout 3 alarm clock.

The ones going for $299+ in actual eBay auctions, not just scalpers trying for insane buy-it-now prices?