Author Topic: BA magnetic clamps  (Read 322 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
BA magnetic clamps
« on: 27 March 2024, 01:25:54 »
Am I reading the rules for Magnetic Clamps correctly in that non-omnimechs are able to use their full jump MP while carrying BA in this way?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: BA magnetic clamps
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2024, 06:35:36 »
Well, the rule says nothing about jump MP, only that Walking/Cruise MP gets reduced by 1 if carrying battle armor. So jump away.
Unless it is one of the few jumping vehicles like the Kanga, which cannot expend jump MP while carrying mechanized battle armor.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2024, 09:17:19 »
Okay, that's what I thought, but since my group doesn't use BA much and has never used mag clamp BA at all that I'm aware, I wanted to check on it.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2024, 09:24:30 »
Makes sense. Never hurts to check. As i like to say, "it ain't Battletech unless some rule is played wrong"...

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2024, 09:28:20 »
Makes sense. Never hurts to check. As i like to say, "it ain't Battletech unless some rule is played wrong"...
Small mistakes should not bother anyone experienced. They happen. Big mistakes should be caught by them.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2024, 09:39:01 »
I figure most experienced players do make mistakes with Battletech. I know i do. Usually it is indeed just small stuff.

thesilverback

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2024, 14:02:41 »
A miracle has happened if you can get through a game of Battletech without a small rule misplay or figuring to hit rolls.
6th Federated Suns Armored Cavalry (Hillbillies with Guns)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2024, 00:51:05 »
Am I reading the rules for Magnetic Clamps correctly in that non-omnimechs are able to use their full jump MP while carrying BA in this way?

That is correct.

That said, the most common way I deploy MagClamp BA is via SAVANNAH MASTER, so I still take the -1  :evil:   zoom zoom
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2024, 00:58:44 »
Yeah, I'm putting a force together and was planning to include a squad of Marauder BA and carry them with a Wolverine 9W2.  Wanted to make sure it was a legit strategy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2024, 22:30:10 »
Kicking jumping BA out of a flying VTOL was a game changer to me.

Made it VERY easy to deploy jumping suits into places to deny terrain.  Your opponent wants to race to control the woods in the middle of the map?  Well, I place a point of Elementals there in turn 1 with a +2 to hit in addition to the woods bonus.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."