Author Topic: What would it take to re-hash the CCG?  (Read 4135 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
What would it take to re-hash the CCG?
« on: 07 June 2018, 22:45:05 »
I wish they remake a better re-issue of Battletech the CCG using official cards not painted by random people.. Use Shimmering Sword's art, it's official enough to do slight colorization and maybe we can get a better game. Either re-hash the rules abit for easier play or a complete over haul from dedicated " suggested " rules... or both.

Or even better abbreviate the AS rules abit for this. That way you want to buy the Minis and then tabletop later on... While these tie into an already easy game, I for one wouldn't mind leaving the Minis behind as they are heavy in numbers.

Wish there was a way to use CCG cards at the Tabletop / AS games. Saves on weight and other things. Allows more BinderTech to be brought along.

I'm proposing CCG cards as the Playing pieces vs. the older stock cards. And maybe a counter base to both hold the CCG and designate a face hex / arrow to show where it is if using AS rules. The cards themselves replace the mini in question, not the AS Recordsheet. You'll still need that to play. As this is literally less weight than lugging half a dozen pounds of minis per game.

What say you kind folks? Gives a dead cardgame new life, helps promote a product and allows us to collect them again. Oh and most important, keeps a certain Freelancer in action! And the coffers loaded for CGL. Hell, give away Promo packs of these as Prizes for second or third best, the lucky ones get the Mini! ( And a Promo Pack to boot. )

You can even do various Eras with the MUL's PV system on the card and it'll give us OTHER technology that the old game never had, like : Infantry, Vehicles, Aerotech and Powerups that weren't in the first deck.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
Re: What would it take to re-hash the CCG?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2018, 23:00:09 »
The idea of a portable cardstock wargame is a cute one.

Having BattleTech brought back in a Living Card Game format would be nice.
That said, Infantry and Conventionals were in the original WotC system as well.

Battle Armor and Tanks were units with a scrap on a 6 when they take damage. Infantry were a command asset. VTOLs were... well... obnoxious.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 23:09:22 by Dies Irae »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2018, 23:11:01 »

Having BattleTech brought back in a Living Card Game format would be nice.
That said, Infantry and Conventionals were in the original WotC system as well.

Yeah as supplemental and add ons when the game faulted... Too late too little to save a failing game.

I bought 3 complete Booster boxes and 2 Start-up Boxes when the game came out, and then another Box after the " Reinforcement " came out, then the game died in my area and left me holding 1000+ cards with no value.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2018, 23:13:05 »
Yeah as supplemental and add ons when the game faulted... Too late too little to save a failing game.

I bought 3 complete Booster boxes and 2 Start-up Boxes when the game came out, and then another Box after the " Reinforcement " came out, then the game died in my area and left me holding 1000+ cards with no value.

TT

I've got scads of the stuff all over the place myself. Don't think it was failing honestly. The infantry, tanks and stuff came out around... Arsenal. Conventional support cards were already in the core set.

It honestly started to flag locally after the Commander's Edition reboot which changed card format.

The golden age era for the local group was around Arsenal as well, after the Dasher D was restricted and the Bearer of the McKennsy hammer was banned.

EDIT: Or was it the other way around...
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 23:15:27 by Dies Irae »

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2018, 04:29:43 »
I hate when people suggest that the game was a flop, because it wasn't. Fasa hitting the fan is what did the game in. The game was hard to get boosters for if you didn't special order/pre order boxes. At one point I thought the guy behind the counter was messing with me about someone just having bought stacks of boosters, at least until he pointed to the trashcan behind him with several gutted booster boxes. I saw others buying several boxes at once as well. A few times I was lucky enough to get there when a shipment came in and got to buy cards before others gutted the box. Maybe its just me, but a fresh booster box was always nice to see. Sames with the smell of new cards out of a just opened pack.

The addition of vehicles and battle armor was a logical one that expanded upon the game. They added something new that the original support style cards couldn't do.

As for the game making a comeback, I don't know. I have been bugging for that on the forum for years, not giving a care about how much it annoys some people. The nonsense about "only magic and pokemon can survive for more then a few months" is dead. I know that there are several other card games out there. Who cares about the way the cards are sold, just as long as the game is running.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2018, 04:41:54 »

And one has been in production for years -
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18985/battleground

It's much acclaimed, but suffers from being produced by an even smaller company than Catalyst.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2018, 06:18:34 »
I remember going to a comic shop one day and buying a few BT boosters on a whim.  The cashier then handed me a stack of random BT cards that, I assume, were from some tournament or such. 

Anyway... I would be all in for a Battletech LCG. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Nicoli

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2018, 07:48:55 »
CCGs are pretty much dead on arrival unless your one of the already well established ones. An LCG would be the best way to do it.

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2018, 13:22:27 »
The Battletech CCG is alive and well and being played online. Check out the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1428271947474537/?ref=group_header

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2018, 14:22:40 »
The Battletech CCG is alive and well and being played online. Check out the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1428271947474537/?ref=group_header

Closed group, can't see anything but number of members. But I wouldn't call ~300 people in a Facebook group "alive and well" when the game is decades out of print.

The last new CCG I've seen is the Munchkin CCG, released by Steve Jackson Games this year and based on their wildly popular card game. It seems to be doing well for them, but that is in large part thanks to the company pushing it HARD, having a very recognizable IP, and basically focusing all company efforts on it for an extended period of time. They're also not planning on keeping it around forever, so once it runs its course it'll be done.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2018, 15:34:08 »
Even Magic has been losing sales in recent years: stores that traditionally depended on Magic to stay afloat are now busy trying to find new trends to sell. Incidentally, the Battletech CCG actually beat it in sales the first year it was released.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2018, 16:09:13 »
Even Magic has been losing sales in recent years: stores that traditionally depended on Magic to stay afloat are now busy trying to find new trends to sell. Incidentally, the Battletech CCG actually beat it in sales the first year it was released.

Here we decided to drop Magic entirely when literally the next set was releasing and we still had boosters from the previous one in stock from the initial release order (of *one* box!) If you aren't running M:tG events, chances are you aren't selling - unless you're the only game in town.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2018, 16:22:28 »
Here we decided to drop Magic entirely when literally the next set was releasing and we still had boosters from the previous one in stock from the initial release order (of *one* box!) If you aren't running M:tG events, chances are you aren't selling - unless you're the only game in town.

I'm honestly surprised Magic has lasted as long as it has. All due respect, I don't think anyone expected that silly little game to stay in print for 25 years. I just think it's sad that it slipped more and more into catering to the diehard competitive players and lost a lot of its charm - and ease of play - in the process. I'd have loved to see Hasbro release more fixed-content "factory" sets, for those of us who just liked mucking about with deckbuilding and weren't interested in tournaments or collecting.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2018, 16:39:52 »
Totally agreeable there, which is why I ask if CGL might think about a re-hash.

Make it a medium go-between from Tabletop to Alpha Strike.

With Shimmering Swords running the art department, and maybe a few commissions from the other artists.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2018, 17:12:13 »
Hmm. When I consider it that way, yeah, I could see a BattleTech deckbuilding game. In fact, I wonder why it hasn't already happened.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2018, 23:36:06 »

Funny, Magic is my FLGS main source of revenue.

I'm personally not a fan of deck builders but I would say wait and see how well SR Crossfire and Dragon Fire do in the next year.     
« Last Edit: 09 June 2018, 02:56:12 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 09 June 2018, 08:04:52 »
I imagine that the popularity of MtG has become very regional.  It seems (IMO) that any given city with more than one FLGS will have one shop that is THE hub for Magic, or D&D, or whatever.

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 09 June 2018, 11:20:47 »
I think a larger Succession Wars style Card game would be cooler. Not focus so much on the individual mech but on the politics of the Inner Sphere.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #18 on: 09 June 2018, 11:35:01 »
Funny, Magic is my FLGS main source of revenue. 

It's the main source of revenue for a lot of game stores around the country.  Hence the panic setting in as sales start to slip.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 09 June 2018, 11:50:41 »
Keep politics out, unless it gives both a + and a - Example:

The Chancellor, Maximilian Liao, -2 Intelligence due to Paranoia, +1 for Resource +1 for Tactics if played this turn.

Or something like this...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #20 on: 09 June 2018, 12:36:54 »
 . . . honestly . . . go pitch the idea to HBS as a phone app game, something like Blizzard's Hearthstone.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #21 on: 09 June 2018, 13:58:37 »
I would love to see something light that quickly simulates an engagement. Something like how the Death Angel card game brought a stripped down version of Space Hulk to the table. Hell, reskin something like FFG's Age of War or (if it were to be something meatier) Battle for Rokugan and I'd pick it up.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #22 on: 09 June 2018, 14:28:27 »

I would like to see a CCG for aerospace combat, it would be a good means to compensate for the scale issues.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 09 June 2018, 15:11:34 »
I would like to see a CCG for aerospace combat, it would be a good means to compensate for the scale issues.

I’m trying to work something like that into my homebrew rules.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 09 June 2018, 21:20:05 »
Yeah I can see you with " McKenna Strike : This card uses all your Resources and is considered Scraped after use. Select d6 amount of cards from your targets Stockpile to their Scrapyard per every (R) you spend. ".

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2018, 08:11:18 »
I think you could integrate the two without the resource aspect. Something like, deal X damage to one hex or deal one damage to X hexes.

You could integrate interceptors, specialty munitions, etc. 

But now we’re drifting into fan rules.

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2018, 11:54:49 »
We do know of the many Demo Team agents who use cards for counters, and initiative order.

I use many of the "pilot" cards for randomly drawing NPC's & pilots (Rookie, Veteran, Elite, Wolf's Dragoon pilot, etc) - though I'm still working on a better mechanism for random card-draw.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2018, 13:10:37 »
It's the main source of revenue for a lot of game stores around the country world where gaming is a thing.  Hence the panic setting in as sales start to slip.

Just fixing your phrase. Keep going...
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #28 on: 10 June 2018, 13:13:03 »
in grinders and one-offs, having spots on the board that trigger a "draw a card for a powerup" event can be enjoyable as well.

people were teaming up on an Atlas and the player running it drew the one "deal all damage received by this mech as five point clusters to the target or targets of your choice within six hexes"

it had lost 175 armor and 60 internals

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #29 on: 10 June 2018, 14:14:22 »
We did a game like that recently using 3025/Level 1 designs . . . what was funny was the two mechs that walked over the power up and got boobytrap (70 pts of damage in 5 pt clusters) would survive that turn to walk back over and get the heal option.  It was different and more relaxed than normal scenarios.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register