Author Topic: Armored Gyro BV?  (Read 434 times)

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
Armored Gyro BV?
« on: 15 November 2023, 12:17:36 »
Is the BV for the armoring of a gyro a flat +5 per crit or 5% of the 'Gyro' step in the defensive calc?
I suspect the later (5% each slot), but the calc results are so low I think it may be the former (5bv each slot).

Tac-ops: ARMORED COMPONENTS: pg. 380

"The Defensive Battle Rating of an armored component is equal to 5 percent of the BV of the item protected per slot. If the item has no BV, then the value is 5 points per slot."

The BV calculation formula includes a "Gyro" item in the larger defensive BV calc section.

Tech Manual:
"Gyro (’Mech Tonnage x ’Mech Gyro Modifier)
Consult the ’Mech Gyro Modifier Table on page 315."

But this makes the total BV of an armored Atlas gyro (60) almost half that of the comparable heavy duty gyro (100). Also, the 10bv of armoring on that Atlas gyro is the same bv as armoring two Wasp hands and less than an Atlas's arm’s four actuators. 

So I'm wondering if the Gyro step is just 'a step in calculating defensive bv' and not the 'Gyro component's bv' and the Gyro is a 0bv component.

With the flat 5bv-per-slot armoring cost, the armored Atlas Gyro comes out to 70bv total — at least a little closer to the HD Gyro — and would have an armor bv of 20, equivalent to armoring four Wasp actuators at least.

In the end I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2023, 19:04:38 by Bison AIs »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
Re: Armored Gyro BV?
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2023, 12:24:10 »
Addendum:

IO p.187 notes:
"Gyroless ’Mechs: If a ’Mech with a Machina Domini Interface Cockpit is not equipped with a gyro, treat the unit as if it is equipped with a standard gyro when finding its Defensive Battle Rating."

This makes me slightly more inclined to read the Gyro BV step in the defense BV calc as just 'a step' in calculating defense BV and not the actual BV of the Gyro.