Author Topic: Large Militia Unit  (Read 1985 times)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Large Militia Unit
« on: 15 August 2013, 13:53:38 »
Ok, I've had these guys running around in my head for a while, and I'm looking at expanding them into a small brigade. Two mixed 'Mech/Armor battalions (one heavy, one light and each having two tank companies), two Infantry battalions (one motorized, one airmobile), an Artillery battalion (c. 24 guns, VTOL spotters, and trucks), a support battalion, and the HQ.

The tech level will mostly be 3039, with some stuff that's filtered through, considering this is late Jihad era.

The fluff is that the battalion has been expanded, and the conventional troops are mostly short-service volunteers, with key NCO's as long service professionals, as will the 'MechWarriors.

Does anyone have good suggestions as to 'Mechs and tanks to take here? I'm going to have a good number of classic AFFS designs in there, with a few new tech "surprises".
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Large Militia Unit
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2013, 01:12:53 »
PVC-141 Pintel Heavy Combat ATV, used as scouts.
RRV "Rock Rover" Half-Track with attached Light AC/5 towed field gun, AT gun crew also fluff has Support Laser that Davions love.

SpecOps Paratrooper MI6 Extraction Team,  O:-).

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2013, 21:43:53 »
Valkerie and the Bug mechs for sure (Stinger, Wasp, Locust), Hachetman’s and Enforcers, along with Hunchbacks and Atlas’s. Definetly a captured CCAF Raven or a Star League era recon mech: you might be able to get away with one. Shadow Hawk and Pheonix Hawks, a Catapult or two for long range, maybe a Victor, a couple Griffin’s. and a couple of Urbies....

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2013, 21:02:55 »
Yeah, at Corydon is right next to New Valencia, so I'm thinking a Marauder II would make sense.

I'm looking at a mass of Darter scout cars as the standard APC/Scout/Command AFV for the unit. It has 3 tons of space for use, and is described as common as dirt.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2013, 21:08:13 »
Watchman/Sentry. Lineholder.
Goblin is a solid IFV. Vedettes and Scorpions.   
Maker of big things.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2013, 18:55:12 »
I see your Scorpions and Vedettes, and raise you a homegrown, T-12 Tiger. Lots of them, supplemented by Gun Trailers of the era: Ambush, LRM, Thumper, Siege. ( The rest of the trailers are useless. )

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2013, 19:18:23 »
Ok, I've had these guys running around in my head for a while, and I'm looking at expanding them into a small brigade. Two mixed 'Mech/Armor battalions (one heavy, one light and each having two tank companies), two Infantry battalions (one motorized, one airmobile), an Artillery battalion (c. 24 guns, VTOL spotters, and trucks), a support battalion, and the HQ.

The tech level will mostly be 3039, with some stuff that's filtered through, considering this is late Jihad era.

The fluff is that the battalion has been expanded, and the conventional troops are mostly short-service volunteers, with key NCO's as long service professionals, as will the 'MechWarriors.

Does anyone have good suggestions as to 'Mechs and tanks to take here? I'm going to have a good number of classic AFFS designs in there, with a few new tech "surprises".

L1 Bug Mechs.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

LordGraygem

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2013, 15:51:19 »
For heavy armor, look into the intro-tech Pattons and Rommels. Their basic autocannons would offer a good punch in a reasonably mobile and armored package, especially when using the new AC munitions developed by House Davion. Fill the bins on each design's LRM 5 with Thunder rounds for a bit of light battlefield control if that works for you.