Author Topic: Mercenary Outfit-The Midnight Wargs  (Read 4478 times)

BrotherFluffy

• Private
Mercenary Outfit-The Midnight Wargs
« on: 01 August 2013, 22:31:18 »
Hi, everybody!  I'm an old, ooooooooooooold BattleTech player(as in my first TRO was 3025 old) who's getting back into the game and I'm starting up a merc unit-The Midnight Wargs Mercenary Company.  They're Lyran-based company that operates near the ARDC during the early to mid 3060s.  Here's the gang so far-

Command Lance(Hati)
Daishi custom, Fenrir, Captain Konrad Wolf
PLG-3Z Pillager-Lt. Dan O'Connor
Mad Cat Mk II-Sgt. Ashley "AJ" Bell
MAD-4S Marauder II-Sgt. Alexei Petrovsky

Recon Lance(Skoll)
MTR-5K-Lt. Arden Reynolds
WVR-8K Wolverine
PNT-12A Panther
GRF-6S Griffin

Infantry Units
Clan Elemental Point, 5 elementals, Sgt. Svetlana Ramius commanding

Aerospace Assets
SL-17 Shilone, Lt. Mayumi Amada(flight leader)
SL-17 Shilone, Ens. 

EGL-R9 Eagle, Lt. Aida Gunn
SL-15 Slayer, Ens. Matt Eisenstern

Dropships
Leopard-class dropship Freki, Captain Vladimir Ramius
Leopard-class dropship Geri
« Last Edit: 26 August 2013, 23:23:16 by BrotherFluffy »
The Midnight Wargs Mercenary Company-Killing you not-so-softly.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Mercenary Outfit-The Midnight Wargs
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2013, 23:33:46 »
Lots of Clan equipment, some of it like the HGN IIC would be pretty rare.  While I like the -9K in some situations, I think it was a post3067 product.  For 3060 the -8K might be more apt, though I also think it is a better machine over all.  The -9K just seems to be shiny new toy syndrome.

Not sure they would have a Kerensky either . . .

Are they going to be a Kell Hound farm unit?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2013, 00:18:34 »
Oops!  It would seem I partially copied an earlier list, lemme go edit that.  The Highlander IIC should be the slightly more ubiquitous second-line unit Warhammer IIC, and the 9K is a typo, never cared for the 9k.  I agree the 8K is just a better machine in general.  At no point should you arm a medium mech with a sword and send it to go hit things that can weigh nearly twice it's tonnage, IMO.  Unless you just don't like the pilot.  Sorry about that. 

As to the Kerensky, it ties in with how they got all of the Clan tech.  Originally, it was a single lance of the Wolverine, Panther, Zeus, and BattleMaster, with only the Zeus getting Clan tech.  During the JF incursion of 64-65, the Wargs encounter the Broadsword dropship en route to a planet, engage and disable it, then capture it, along with 5 Clan mechs and the point of Elementals stationed on-board as marines.  I picked a Kerensky because a) I see a Warden being more willing to accept a bondcord than a Falcon b) I don't like Steel Vipers.  At all.  c) the JF OZ is bordered by Clans Wolf and Wolf-in-Exile, meaning it is possible that at some point, Jade Falcon could have picked up a Warden Kerensky as a bondsman, either during a raid or, more likely, during the Refusal War.  and d) Kerensky is easier to spell than Fetladral.

And yes, it is a Kell Hound "farm team"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2013, 03:05:21 »
Well, there are a lot of bloodnames . . . I might just suggest going with a lesser known one.  As the Falcons took Homeworld warriors during the Harvest Trials, you could pick anything from a Fire Mandrill Elemental to a former Burrock abathka taken sometime before his Clan's absorption. 
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2013, 09:03:26 »
I've toyed around with the idea of making her a captured Ghost Bear, but I am not sure if the Falcons picked any up during the Harvest Trials

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2013, 09:43:49 »
Not during the Harvest Trials, there you look at the Homeworld Clans for fodder.  It is rare for bloodnamed warriors to be lost to another Clan except in the Harvest Trials.  It is also hard for a abthaka to get a bloodname since someone must nominate them or they work their way through the Grand Melee.

But hey, its your game.  Heck it could be anyone's merchant DS depending on what world and when.
Colt Ward

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2013, 11:57:46 »
Yeah, I just don't get a lot of the Home Clans, and those I do get, I am not much of a fan of, personality wise.  And capturing Bloodnamed warriors is rare, and really would only be possible during the harvest trials or the Refusal War, so I went with a Wolf.  I could also go with a Warden Falcon, but that sounds just as improbable.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2013, 17:03:34 »
You could use a Clan trueborn from a particular bloodline that hasn't earned a bloodname yet. That gives you more options. Then you simply put ( ) around the name and you're good to go.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2013, 18:49:32 »
You could use a Clan trueborn from a particular bloodline that hasn't earned a bloodname yet. That gives you more options. Then you simply put ( ) around the name and you're good to go.

I believe Colt Ward has a clan elemental in his outfit who has basically co-opted the Bloodname he was born to. He never earnt it but he's decided to call himself it.
And no body is really going to stop him seeing as he's on the otherwise of the Truce line

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2013, 19:55:44 »
That actually brings up a question I've had rattling around in my skull for YEARS.  With the Wolf Clan split, how does each side work out the Bloodnames?  Are there now 50 Fetladrals and 50 Kerenskys?  Does each side just count the Bloodnames they don't have as a loss? 

As to Svetlana Kerensky, I think I'm going to keep her, it fits the timeline(Earns her Bloodname in 3057 at 23, taken as abtahka during RF, by 3064, she's a 30 year old Point Commander with a Warden viewpoint in a fanatically Crusader clan, meaning she would be an ideal candidate to be placed on crap duties like babysitting a supply Dropship). 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2013, 20:45:12 »
Hey if it works for you, as I said it is your game.

And yeah, I have a Diamond Shark Elemental that leaves it unclear if he actually earned the Bloodname Horn or not.

As far as the Warden & Crusader Wolves . . . the Wardens 'abandoned' certain bloodnames because no one with it or eligible joined them in exile.  So some they have duplicates holders for the same pre-57 Blood Heritage . . . hell, some of the initial Crusader Bloodnamed would hold Heritages 'abjured' from those in exile, meaning the previous holder is still alive.  But they also have the ability to use a Jaguar . . .

Actually, a Jaguar bloodnamed in the Falcons post-Bulldog could REALLY be interesting- especially if taken as isorla.  Lots of off-battlefield RP hooks.
Colt Ward

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2013, 20:51:38 »
Man, how many Jaguars are actually left though, let alone Bloodnamed?  Not to mention how are they going to carry on the genetic legacy since the repository got blown to smithereens?(If I'm remembering it right, I may not be.)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2013, 21:25:54 »
Well te WiE took a whole cluster as bondsmen during Bulldog

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2013, 22:31:54 »
Total they took more than that . . . and for the Falcon-Jaguar alliance, who knows how many folks may have been swapped.  IIRC, the senior Jag in the IS after the leadership was a Wolf abathka.

Anyway, plenty of Jags survived.  The other question . . . well, that is what makes the story fun!  Repository was not blown, it was even there for other Clans to mess with later.
Colt Ward

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2013, 10:50:06 »
Okay, I remember at the end of Operation Serpent the SLDF blew SOMETHING up on Huntress.  It was big and important, I remember that.  I wonder who got what genetic legacies, then...

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #15 on: 03 August 2013, 13:43:51 »
Okay, I remember at the end of Operation Serpent the SLDF blew SOMETHING up on Huntress.  It was big and important, I remember that.  I wonder who got what genetic legacies, then...

They blew up the big monument on the mountainside.

They also dismantled, blew up or shot to pieces any piece of military infrastructure or military production. I donĀ“t think the repository was mentioned as destroyed, but I do remember that Task Force Serpent decided to try and avoid getting it damaged in battle because that would make the clanners - all of them - mad.

So, my guess would be they left the repository as it is, and it was either destroyed during the Wars of Reaving, or some other clan snatched it.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2013, 14:23:07 »
I'd say it got destroyed in the Wars of Reaving, given Andrews' obsession with destroying anything "tainted" by the IS.  I'd imagine being from a genetic legacy that got it's collective keister handed to it by Spheroids would be a sign of all kinds of taint.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2013, 18:26:29 »
But that does not mean that some of the genetic legacies did not survive.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2013, 20:17:07 »
Probably.  So much happened during the Wars of Reaving I have a hard time keeping up who killed who.

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2013, 10:40:02 »
Quick question-The Dragoons are capable of building Elemental Battle Armor, but would they sell any of them to other merc outfits?

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 09 August 2013, 02:42:57 »
They would if you had done them a favour in the past, or were in some way connected to them.
In canon they did sell good equipment to friendly mercs.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

BrotherFluffy

• Private
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2013, 16:42:34 »
Okay, I've taken a long, hard look(and an axe) to the original make up and this is what I've come up with.  Konrad's Daishi is based off of the Prime variant, dropping the Ultra AC 5's in favor of jump jets and a C3 master computer, and the rest of the lance sporting at least 1 piece of clan tech(usually the PPCs or large laser) to make room for a C3 slave.  Also, all of the assault lance have jump jets, meaning they'll be able to keep pace with the recon lance for the most part. 

Also, the Broadsword is gone, mostly because it became fiscally unfeasable when I kept thinking about how they would cripple the ship in such a way it wouldn't bankrupt them to fix it.  Also, salvage rights are divided by tonnage, and if they kept the ship, that's ALL they would have kept.  No weapons, no cargo, just the ship.  So I figure under exchange or shared rights, they'd get paid for the ship, and use the funds to buy another drop ship and hire another lance and aerospace wing, as well as keeping a few of the 'Mechs(the Daishi and Mad Cat Mk II), the Elemental suits(sans Elementals), the surviving crew(as bondsman), and the cargo. 

As for Svetlana, I decided to leave her origins a mystery and lengthen her backstory a bit.  Nobody really KNOWS where she came from, she's been Vladimir's wife since they've been with the Wargs, and neither of them have been forthcoming as to her origins. 

Oh, also, I'm moving them from the ARDC to the DCMS Ghost Bear invasion and FedSuns incursion since I don't think I've seen much covered in that area from a story perspective, and I think Konrad wouldn't set aside his LAAF commission because of his misgivings with Katherine Steiner only to turn around and accept a contract in Lyran space. 
« Last Edit: 26 August 2013, 19:23:21 by BrotherFluffy »