Author Topic: "Carentan" for AToW  (Read 2364 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
"Carentan" for AToW
« on: 16 January 2023, 12:49:54 »
June 10th, 3008
Northern approach to Carentan, a small town on Benet III
0600 Local

Corporal Powers, his Leftenant and Sergeant put in hospital by Kuritan snipers, had been detailed to secure one of the approaches to Carentan from the north.  Higher headquarters planned to use the town to solidify the link up of two thrusts toward Morningside, where the last of the Kuritan troops were holed up.  Recon had reported a machine gun nest at the intersection, but artillery and air support were otherwise engaged.  Not even a single 'mech or tank could be spared.  Fortunately, Powers had snipers in his squads whose range could be decisive if he could bring them to bear.  At the very least, they might suppress the Dracs enough for the rest of his troops to get to hand grenade range.

In the town itself, Corporal Hideki, his Chu-i long dead, had been given orders to defend this intersection to the last man.  His eight machine guns would do the trick as long as the ammunition held out.  When it eventually runs out, his Vibrosword will have to do the dirty work for the glory of the Dragon.

The map was inspired by Carentan (France), and I spent a few hours on Google Maps trying to make things fit.  The Kuritan machine gun nest is forted up in the level 3 medium building at the intersection.  The Davions are entering the map from the north with orders to secure that building.

The story here is Daemion hit me up earlier this weekend about putting together a platoon vs. platoon battle at the AToW scale.  Regular AToW rules suggest using Team Initiative at this scale, and moving coherent units (i.e., squads) together.  The main difference from TW scale is that actions are resolved in initiative order vice simultaneously.  Getting the drop on an opposing squad can wipe them out before they can return fire.  I'm also using a 5-meter hex grid, so the squads generally move 3 hexes per 5-second turn (you round movement rates up when converting to hexes).

In an effort to balance the scenario at least somewhat, I gave the Davion platoon Auto-Rifles supported by two Lancelot Mark V Sniper Rifles (from Shrapnel #1) per squad with hand grenades and camouflage for everyone (the snipers get Ghillie suits).  The Kuritas have Auto-Rifles supported by two Portable Machine Guns per squad.  Instead of grenades, they get swords (and the Squad Leaders get Vibroswords).  They're also better at Martial Arts than the Davion troops, and universally have the Pain Resistance trait.

The Excel sheet detailing the troops as built in AToW is too big to attach to this post with the map, so it will be in a following post.  18-year-olds get a bit less than 5,000 XP, but their Squad Leaders are 21 with a Tour of Duty under their belts.  The Davion snipers are trained a little differently than the rest of the troops and will probably hand their grenades over to the ones who can throw them more effectively.  Conversely, the Kuritan troops are all equally trained on their auto-rifles and machine guns, so if a sniper drops a gunner, the next trooper will simply pick it up and keep shooting.  The Kuritans are also universally better at hand-to-hand combat, should it come to that.

My effort to fill out and scan the Squad Combat Record Sheets from AToW resulted in a bit too much to include with either of the other attachments, so it will be in the third post.  Daemion is also working on a fillable version with MS Paint.  This exercise has shown me I need to add a Movement Rate grid to my character creation sheet, and that will probably be done later today.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Re: "Carentan" for AToW
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2023, 12:50:16 »
The Excel sheet mentioned above.

EDIT: I'm replacing the sheet with a version upgraded to my v4.8.  As a bonus, it has squads from some other factions too (and I'll be posting it separately in the Non-Canon Units forum).
« Last Edit: 22 January 2023, 13:34:10 by Daryk »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2023, 12:51:18 »
And finally the Squad Combat Record Sheets (only one for each side... you'll need to print four copies).

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2023, 13:03:16 »
Fillable? You mean a cleaned-up, readable version?

Yeah.  And, that will be done sometime this afternoon, as well.   :thumbsup:
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2023, 13:40:12 »
Excellent, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2023, 16:42:31 »
Correction to the Davion sniper's rifle ranges: 125/250/500/1000.

I got lost in the manual copy paste process there, sorry!  :-[

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2023, 21:39:56 »
Here's the Davion Squad Sheet in JPG format.

Edit: Updated sheet fixing a minor gaffe, a missing closing parenthesis on one of the grenade range lines.

« Last Edit: 17 January 2023, 11:36:20 by Daemion »

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2023, 21:41:24 »
Here's the Kurita Squad.  I may have made some mistakes here on which skills the sword uses and its damage.

So, I expect I'll be making corrections.

edit: Updated with sword and vibrosword damages and skills fixed.

« Last Edit: 17 January 2023, 11:38:37 by Daemion »

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2023, 21:42:27 »
For those who don't have a PDF writer program, here's the squad sheet as a JPG.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2023, 21:45:16 »
Tomorrow, I'll make any corrections, and do squad sheets with ranges in 5m hexes.  And, finally, I expect that some people will want to break up the squads, so I'll whip up some trooper fire-teams and sniper and machine-gunner teams.

May even make a sheet with Platoon Leader in the Squad leader position.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2023, 03:42:17 »
Thanks!  Those are MUCH more legible!  :thumbsup:

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2023, 11:39:38 »
Sheets updated with corrections.  See posts above.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2023, 11:40:51 »
Davion Squad sheet with ranges fixed for hex-play.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2023, 11:42:11 »
Kurita Squad Sheet with ranges adjusted for hex-map play.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2023, 17:51:15 »
Excellent, thanks again!  :thumbsup:

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2023, 20:46:38 »
No problem. I asked you to do this.  I could at least help.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2023, 20:49:21 »
We did it together, so I think we both get credit here!  :thumbsup:

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2023, 10:14:31 »
This is an old critique that was never posted. But all the hard work put in by both parties here deserves some feedback (even inexpertly like mine). So, here it is:

Interesting tactical problem, to say the least.

Now, please bear with me, because I have zero experience with AToW tactical rules. So, I'm going to go at this from primarily a real-world conceit leavened with BattleTroops rules. That may mean nothing I say is relevant, but...

The AFFS unit is hosed. They are being asked to take a fortified*--or at least held--position with no personnel-overmatch whereupon they will have to literally charge across open ground against not one or two automatic support weapons, but eight. Bloody. Machine. Guns. And once they do get across that open ground, they will have to find a way to gain entry using, one presumes, an open** door or window, since they lack any appreciable means of even blowing a hole in a wall. (And if AToW rules allow APers/fragmentation  grenades to blow open doors or mousehole walls, they are even more naff than I imagine at this moment.)

In BattleTroops rules, soldiers in cover and without the need to move can spend their time sitting behind their gunsights with great arcs of fire (trading MP for a specified sector of fire) in which they get to fire at people who blunder into those arc. Think the BT Hidden Units/Point Blank Shots rule. Only you are not in a BattleMech, you are in at best an armored vest, so the results are usually un-pretty.

Again, I don’t know the AToW rules, but I see the AFFS troopers can sprint about 8+ hexes, so they could conceivably get to the target building in two turns flat-out, or in a single dash across a street (which isn’t unreasonable at all—if they couldn’t move seven more hexes past it afterwards!). But then they will be charging into CQB against a better-trained opponent, fighting from cover, armed with damn swords.

How simple is it to get a grenade through a window (or mousehole, better yet)? How do machine-guns fare against lightly-built residential houses? Is there a reaction-fire mechanic in the rules (e.g. can I immediately shoot people running across a road if I am prepared)? Are there rules to shoot from inside a room and not from a window-lintel—and if so, how effective are the snipers going to be? And why give them ghillie suits in a MOUT deliberate attack, other than to slow them down and restrict access to their gear?

Real-world?

As the attacker, I’d have my PLT 2IC reconnoiter the building by visual recon and by drawing fire with a squad-plus, snipe as many careless enemy as I could to attrit them, and identify the weakest point. During this time, I’d be infiltrating in either adjacent building (or, perhaps better, the building south/uphill), set up an SBF and try assaulting from there (and either blow a hole through the shared wall or go over the roof to gain entry to the second floor of the target if the buildings were physically touching).

As the defender (and ignoring fortifying and improving my defensive position**—or assuming I did so), I’d site two guns on the most likely approaches (N/NW and S/SE), one to the less-likely approaches, and keep the rest as a reserve to push out as needed. If I had a lot of time and the buildings were as close as they appear, I’d probably invest the adjacent buildings as well to give me some operational depth.

*If the building does not have even a rudimentary attempt to fortify it, I question the DCMS troopers' sanity or the time they have had to occupy the position. Even if they had an hour, they would have sectors of fire determined, mouseholes at floor-level to fire through, and doors and windows blocked by whatever was in the house to begin with. And if the house was completely empty to begin with--vanishingly unlikely given the overarching situation--interior walls and fittings would be torn apart as grist for the mill.

**I cannot overstate how easy and quick it is to fortify a building—nor how hard it is to get inside one if you lack breaching tools, demolitions, and/or knowhow. I can tell you stories about what I have done and seen done in buildings, from trip wires half way in the middle of a room, triple-strand concertina just inside the front door and up the stairwell, ratholes blown in closets for surreptitious access through a house…Hell, some screening tacked inside the windows would defeat the only chance the AFFS troopers have of success, since their heavy weapons are frags for our purposes here.

But, Daryk and Daemion, like I said at the top, it’s an interesting tactical problem to work through. Great job on all the technical aspects of the scenario (map, especially, and the beautiful and hard work behind the characters and record sheets).
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 17 February 2023, 18:21:18 »
Glad to have your feedback F16!   :)

The MGs are still blocked by LOS, and grenades can be thrown indirectly, so there's that.  Also, grenades can be a mix of types, so it's not just Frag for the AFFS.  This is a problem that really comes down to tactics.  Charging across open ground toward MGs is as bad an idea as always, but that's not their only option.  The AFFS knows there's a Machine Gun nest at the intersection, so they don't have to do that.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #19 on: 17 February 2023, 19:01:23 »
Does AToW have a suppression mechanic? If not, it should. More to the point, that is the only way I would consider indirectly thrown hand grenades. How do machine guns do with residential homes? They should chew them apart and probably go through both sides of the house depending on construction.

Kind of like harrassment & interdiction artillery fires...no great need to check for damage to enemy elements because the chances for actual hits are quite low; a low-chance random roll would be sufficient. But it affects morale and movement to a great degree (which can impede repositioning fighting units, hamper resupply efforts, etc.)
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 17 February 2023, 19:42:51 »
True, but without LOS, the Machine Gunners are at a severe disadvantage...

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #21 on: 17 February 2023, 19:51:37 »
You can do grazing fire without having a line of sight, brother. If those buildings are not stone or serious masonry/concrete, medium machine guns will go through both walls without appreciably slowing down. Real world; not sure how AToW handles that. I don't think BattleTroops (or most skirmish games, to be fair) handled it either; I'd have to check.
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2023, 20:26:38 »
Hitting wall BAR twice wouldn't do good things to MG bullets...

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2023, 20:39:42 »
Fair enough.
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 17 February 2023, 20:47:15 »
One of these days we'll get together face to face again, this time with AToW on the table... :)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #25 on: 17 February 2023, 21:37:18 »
It's a deal if we play the scenario--whatever it shall be--under AToW, BattleTroops, and Stargrunt 2.  Have to be thorough and scientific about it, ;D

And then maybe a bit of 3014 civil war action...so we can both get Wolverine-Ms and MAD IIs on the table and feel good about it!
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 18 February 2023, 05:03:24 »
Heck yeah!  Maybe even give Planet Mercenary a whirl...  8)

Register