Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: A-Seven-th Thread--CorsAirin' Through Time and Airspace  (Read 34258 times)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Legion of issues, yes... design overall?  Not so sure...

That's because it's drawn from an unusual angle. The little scallop between the jet pipes and the doming cockpit are distinctive and not really something you see elsewhere. The Lucifer has a more triangular wing, leaving the fins to be moved back to the fuselage, and a bit more of a 'neck' to move the cockpit forward, but those details and the flattened fuselage shape seem very Cutlass-y, even when you don't factor in the fluff.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Good points! :)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
More F-104s

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Ain't no Starfighter like a ZELL Starfighter!

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
The F-104 Starfighter was such a awesome iconic plane. It looks better with those stubby thin wings holding fuel tanks over missiles IMHO.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Porshadoxus

• Recruit
  • Kill the meat. Save the metal.
Both of these F-15E models had my name on the side.
TN 207 was 391st FS, 366 FW at Mountain Home AFB, Idaho.

TN 326 was 492 FS, 48 FW at RAF Lakenheath, UK. Although the red tail flash indicates 494 FS from a later date.
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster

Nice...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
F-4s carrying AIM-4 Falcons

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could

I recently discovered this fantastically weird plane, the Nemeth Parasol, a circular wing design from the '30s. The best thing is, there's even some surviving video footage documenting one of the test flight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzjpXLKLx1s
Jude Melancon lives!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
A whopping 12 B-2 Spirit stealth bombers took to the skies to cap off the recent Spirit Vigilance exercise. This was so many of the bombers that none of the official pictures from the event show all 12 aircraft at once. This one got closest with 11.

I have spoken.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
I'm guessing that means that the AI didn't come close to performing as advertised.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Me too... given how real-world pilots usually fare in the high-end flight combat simulators.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
I have spoken.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
It only hurts because it's true
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Luciora

• Major
Such a beaut.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
When did the Air Force stop using the Navy refueling method?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
When did the Air Force stop using the Navy refueling method?

the "navy" refueling method was developed by the USAF.  Drogue-and-probe was the FIRST method they used.

Yes, that's a B-50, aka product improved B-29, only that's a KB-50, one of the very first in-service aerial refueling platforms ever.  Please note the service marking.

tey also built one on the Boeing 307 platform, and developed the big refueling probe everyone is familiar with concurrently...

Please to note the era in both pics.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Good to know, thanks!  Still wondering when they stopped using drogue and probe... :)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
i think sometime in the 60's, after retiring their older refueling aircraft for the KC-135.

they developed both methods, but the USAF ended up going all in on the flying boom set up because of the strategic air command's needs. the big bombers tended to be very fuel hungry, plus they were frequently being kept in the air for prolonged periods of time. so they were refueling often. the probe and drogue system couldn't pump fuel fast enough to refuel the big bombers efficiently. so they went in for the booms, which while heavier and needing a bigger plane, could move the fuel fast.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
Its also worth noting that modern USAF tankers can do both, they have multiple systems in place. Cause they refuel more then just USAF planes.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
my understanding is that a flying boom equipped tanker can have a drogue hooked to the end of the boom to handle the other system.. but it has to be done on the ground before the mission, it can't be done mid-air. the USAF just makes sure that they have their tankers configured to handle whichever aircraft they've been routed to service before sending the orders out.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
tey also built one on the Boeing 307 platform, and developed the big refueling probe everyone is familiar with concurrently...

I can't find a stall speed for the B-47, but I did find this:

During refueling, the B-47 flew just above stall speed while the KC-97 flew at full throttle

The 307 had a cruising speed of 220mph, and a max speed of 250mph; the KC-97 (the B-29 based frame) had a cruise of 230mph, and a max of 400 (altitude not specified.)

Look how nose-up the B-47 is ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Thanks!  The 60s sounds reasonable.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
my understanding is that a flying boom equipped tanker can have a drogue hooked to the end of the boom to handle the other system.. but it has to be done on the ground before the mission, it can't be done mid-air. the USAF just makes sure that they have their tankers configured to handle whichever aircraft they've been routed to service before sending the orders out.
Modern tankers are built with both systems (KC-10, KC-46), or are being retrofitted to have both (KC-135) through the use of wingtip tanks. Note this KC-135, from a seven year old video, refueling Australian F/A-18s. Currently unsure how many KC-135's were modified for this, but the adaptor option is still around.

https://youtu.be/LlKY5kLsih8

Register