Author Topic: "Cheetah" Clan Battle Armor  (Read 2983 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
"Cheetah" Clan Battle Armor
« on: 06 November 2011, 18:14:26 »
Type: Clan Battle Armor "Cheetah"
Manufacturer: Barcella Battle Armor Facility
   Primary Factory: Irece
Tech base: Clan
Chassis Type: Humanoid
Weight Class: Medium
Maximum Weight: 1000 kg
Battle Value: 85
Swarm/Leg/Mechanized/AP: yes/yes/yes/yes
Notes:

Equipment                                                              Slots      Mass
Chassis                                                                                250 kg
Motive Systems:
   Ground MP: 3                                                                     80 kg
   Jumping MP: 0                                                                      0 kg
Manipulators   
   Right Arm:  Basic Manipulator                                               0 kg
   Left Arm:    Basic Manipulator                                               0 kg
Armor:    Standard                                                               250 kg
   Armor Value:  10 +1 for trooper

Weapon or Equipment                  Location        Slots      Mass
ER Small Laser (20)                         RA                   2        350 kg
Anti-personnel Weapon Mount        LA                   1            5 kg
SRM-3 (OS)                                      Body               2          60 kg

Overview:
Since its introduction, Clan Nova Cat's Clan Battle Armor (nicknamed "Rabid" by the warriors who wear it) has become the bread and butter unit of the Clan's Novas and Battle Armor Stars. The suit has since spread outside of Irece Prefecture and been generally well received.  After hearing of the success other Clans have had with modifications to the basic design, the Cats began a program to develop their own variants. Most focused on simple equipment changes. The most basic, and wildly popular, was a simple replacement of the standard suit's flamer with a micro pulse laser.

A more radical alteration was an attempt to give the suit a level of firepower typically seen in heavier armor. By stripping the jump jets and jump booster enough weight was saved to mount a 'mech grade ER small laser. This also necessitated that the twin one-shot SRM-2 launders be downgraded to a single one-shot SRM-3. An anti-personnel weapon mount rounds out its capabilities against soft targets. While the loss of jump jets is a disadvantage in some types of terrain the running speed was increased to 32 km/h. In open terrain the overall performance is similar, though many Elementals initially complained about being "ground bound." However after experiencing the new battle armor's combination of speed and hitting power warriors dubbed the variant "Cheetah".

Much like the Thunderbird Battle Armor, Khan West has forbidden outside sales of the "Cheetah" and restricted deployment to Irece Prefecture. Most losses to date in skirmishes against Ghost Bear raiding forces have occurred when the gyroscopes of swarmed battlemechs gave out due to the overwhelming damage from the quintet of lasers. The falling 'mech crushed members of the attacking point. Many point commanders now refrain from attempting to swarm opponents until it has crippled by successful "knee capping".
« Last Edit: 07 November 2011, 09:32:17 by Pa Weasley »

sillybrit

• Major
Re: "Cheetah" Clan Battle Armor
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2011, 18:18:41 »
I like it. Given the direction the Nova Cats have been going with Battle Armor, I could easily see them coming up with something like this.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2011, 19:44:08 »
Thanks, I had a lot of fun coming up with both the design and the fluff. I almost went with dual micro pulse lasers but the five point thwack of the ER small at six hexes is just more satisfying.  :D

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2011, 19:58:39 »
may actually be interesting to try this one out or try rebuilding it as a quad?  Since the Clans appears to be coming around to the idea of quad battle armour and ProtoMechs?
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2011, 20:13:05 »
Quad's are nice, but you would be sacrificing Leg Attacks and most importantly the ability to be Mechanized.

Truth be told I had come in and expected a Myomer  Booster!

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2011, 20:29:54 »
You've already got the Elemental II partially covering that design niche, although it could go even faster with a reduction in firepower and/or armor.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2011, 21:14:23 »
I thought about the myomer booster but opted for firepower instead. While the Cats may have to produce fewer units (and can potentially go higher end) to fill their touman at this point, I felt that this one should stay "cheap" and go for more off the shelf parts. They aren't in a Jihard era level of panic to get anything to the front line as quickly as possible. But they are a bit desperate to get front line grade equipment to what's left of their forces in Irece Prefecture.

Register