Author Topic: VotW: Sortek Assault Craft  (Read 7540 times)

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: VotW: Sortek Assault Craft
« Reply #30 on: 11 February 2015, 18:23:05 »
Sideslipping is also not a dangerous as skidding. You can never slip more than the Margin of Failure, so for a Regular unit, with a piloting skill of 5, the max you can slip is 3 hexes. But wait, there's more. You can never slip more than distance moved -1. So if you turn in your first three hexes you can't slip more than two hexes and if you turn in your second hex you can't slip more than one hex.

Since snake eyes is pretty rare, if you give yourself a buffer of 2 hexes on your turns, you will usually be safe. I've used 10/15 and 11/17 hovers on pretty tight terrain by making sure I kept a buffer area where ever I turn. Sometimes I hope for a sideslips as it will move me into an even better position.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 11 February 2015, 18:25:56 »
You're luckier than I am then (obviously)... I regularly park Maxims in trees.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 11 February 2015, 19:07:00 »
You're luckier than I am then (obviously)... I regularly park Maxims in trees.  ;D

When ever you make a turn, look at the next two hexes you'd have moved into if you went straight.

If either hex is not clear, then move your turn to start one hex farther back.

If you always do this, only a snake eyes will get you in trouble.

For you, Hellbie, just go with three hexes. :)
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #33 on: 11 February 2015, 19:37:34 »
When ever you make a turn, look at the next two hexes you'd have moved into if you went straight.

If either hex is not clear, then move your turn to start one hex farther back.

If you always do this, only a snake eyes will get you in trouble.

For you, Hellbie, just go with three hexes. :)

needless to say, you should only 'thread the needle' (make a turn where you can't ensure enough space in event of a sideslip) when you really really have no other choice.

or better yet, stick to cruising speed whenever you can.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 12 February 2015, 01:26:01 »
needless to say, you should only 'thread the needle' (make a turn where you can't ensure enough space in event of a sideslip) when you really really have no other choice.

or better yet, stick to cruising speed whenever you can.

I agree with your first statement fully. Work the terrain.

I reject your second statement and substitute my own reality. We are all familiar with heat hogs in BattleTech, the players who will dance the heat curve like a mad scientist trying to prove himself.

To be truly effective using Hovers and VTOLs you have to be using all your MP to its maximum potential. It's all about playing the terrain and the to-hit mods .
-Joel BC-

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #35 on: 12 February 2015, 16:59:37 »
Well, I like them, WM.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"