Author Topic: Painting "Stealth" Armor?  (Read 14398 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Painting "Stealth" Armor?
« on: 09 May 2016, 13:57:09 »
I just recently bought a couple of Exterminators, a Grim Reaper, and a couple of other mechs that have "Stealth" armor versions, with the idea in mind of painting them to reflect that unique armor. But once I sat down at the painting desk, I suddenly was drawing a blank on where to start.

The most obvious track was to copy the paint scheme of the F-117 or the B-2, but I couldn't help but wonder if there was a more interesting approach. Then it occurred to me to open this thread here and see what suggestions you good folks might have on that idea.

The basic idea here is I need suggestions for a paint scheme that would reflect the use of "Stealth Armor" on a futuristic mech/vehicle.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: Painting "Stealth" Armor?
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2016, 16:01:34 »
There is nothing that suggests stealth armor is painted any differently from a unit's normal scheme. Even modern "black ball" paint can be made in any color, it's just that the USAF likes its blacks and dull grays.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2016, 16:25:23 »
Stealth armour seems to be an active ECM thing rather than anything else, so it doesn't need a particular colour scheme.  If you were painting a model with a Void Signature System or Chameleon Light Polarisation Shield you might want to paint the model to look like a particular background, but even then it'd be a lot of effort (though I've seen some very nice Infinity minis painted up with TO camo activated)
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2016, 16:28:27 »
As the others have said, Stealth only affects ECM - eyeball Mk I is not affected.

However, when doing stealth units for Tau Ceti Rangers - bronze & gold, hardly inconspicuous - I did think about adding a matt black panel on each location - arms/legs/torsos, representing dielectric panels as on modern aircraft.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2016, 16:46:32 »
Guys, I got the feeling he already acknowledged the above rules you all mention, but was asking for a "more interesting approach." Hence the share...
Sorry if I offended you, suggesting that stealth armor was anything more than "as stated."   

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2016, 17:13:36 »
Maybe a muted camo scheme with a pearlescent top?

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2016, 19:49:03 »
Here's one person who painted Frodo wearing the One Ring, for the LotR tabletop game:
Here

;D

mitchberthelson

• Warrant Officer
  • Death to Zohan!
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2016, 23:43:42 »
I just recently bought a couple of Exterminators, a Grim Reaper, and a couple of other mechs that have "Stealth" armor versions, with the idea in mind of painting them to reflect that unique armor. But once I sat down at the painting desk, I suddenly was drawing a blank on where to start.

The most obvious track was to copy the paint scheme of the F-117 or the B-2, but I couldn't help but wonder if there was a more interesting approach. Then it occurred to me to open this thread here and see what suggestions you good folks might have on that idea.

The basic idea here is I need suggestions for a paint scheme that would reflect the use of "Stealth Armor" on a futuristic mech/vehicle.

You might want to go with something highly reflective. The 1st Edition RPG shows reflective paint schemes designed to mimic the sky from the waist up, with "normal" foliage camo from the waist down.

Additionally, the Exterminator is mentioned in TRO 2750 as always being chrome because the reflective surface was a key component of its armor. Not necessarily for stealth, but that's one important look that's described for the 'Mech.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2016, 23:59:32 »
There is nothing that suggests stealth armor is painted any differently from a unit's normal scheme. Even modern "black ball" paint can be made in any color, it's just that the USAF likes its blacks and dull grays.
actually the USAF used black on the F-117 and B-2 because they originally operated only at night, and the black was meant to let them turn off formation lights and vanish into the dark. (turns out a better color would have been a very dark blue-grey, but they stuck to black.)
the F-22 and F-35 are the colors they are because experience with non-stealth planes has shown that the dark grey lets them blend in very well with both sky and ground in most conditions, at longer distances. helps prevent an enemy from getting visual confirmation before closing to within range of the planes. especially at night. adding that little bit of visual stealth gives the radar stealth planes that much extra edge.

my suggestion for the stealth armor mechs would be to pick a camouflage you like, and then use Low Visibility markings.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2016, 01:24:39 »
Well you could always paint the Exterminator like this:

To get the similar results, I use Tamiya XF-86 (Flat Clear) as a primer before hitting it with two coats of Tamiya X-35 (Semi-gloss Clear) and then a final coat of Tamiya X-22 (Gloss Clear) to give the paintjob a bit of depth and for it to "pop"  ^-^
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2016, 01:35:48 »

You could do a two-piece paint scheme indicating that the mech is coming out of or going into stealth "mode".  Like a dull gray scheme on roughly half of the mini where the stealth is not yet active with a reflective silver, realistic camo, or other scheme where the stealth has become active.  The boundary between the two halves should be jagged, maybe with a bright yellow electric border where the stealth measures are just coming online (or going offline).

Arguably a little cartoony versus just copying a F-117 or B-2 scheme.  But for futuristic stealth measures like CLPS, it makes some sense, and it certainly differentiates the stealth units from other units on the board.

FWIW...

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2016, 09:02:46 »
Here's an example of the Thermoptic camo effect, the equivalent tech in BattleTech being the aforementioned void signature or Chameleon Light Polarisation Shield:

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2016, 16:01:23 »
Here's one person who painted Frodo wearing the One Ring, for the LotR tabletop game:
Here

;D

ROFLMAO !!!

VERY clever! O0

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2016, 16:04:20 »
Well you could always paint the Exterminator like this:

To get the similar results, I use Tamiya XF-86 (Flat Clear) as a primer before hitting it with two coats of Tamiya X-35 (Semi-gloss Clear) and then a final coat of Tamiya X-22 (Gloss Clear) to give the paintjob a bit of depth and for it to "pop"  ^-^

LOL - If only! I've seen that once or twice, but have no clue where you'd find one.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2016, 16:17:12 »
Something more colorful, Iron Man Stealth figure was dark Blue...

A friend of mine sent me these pics last night suggesting that same idea O0

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2016, 16:20:40 »
LOL - If only! I've seen that once or twice, but have no clue where you'd find one.

It was a Gencon Exclusive last year

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2016, 19:50:14 »
You could do a two-piece paint scheme indicating that the mech is coming out of or going into stealth "mode".  Like a dull gray scheme on roughly half of the mini where the stealth is not yet active with a reflective silver, realistic camo, or other scheme where the stealth has become active.  The boundary between the two halves should be jagged, maybe with a bright yellow electric border where the stealth measures are just coming online (or going offline).
this is a popular approach for Tau players in WH40K..

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2016, 22:08:51 »
That first Tau example has a slight partial resemblance to the Iron Man armor pics that were suggested.

Now, for the sake of clarification, isn't it CLPS that acts like a Predator's camo field and not stealth armor? I was under the impression Stealth armor was a sensor disruptive armor back by an ECM system, and not actually a camo force field.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2016, 23:14:43 »
Yup - CLPS is predator armour, mimetic is similar. I've got some Purifiers painted up in "transition", but not mechs.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2016, 23:58:39 »

As Lorcan says, it was a Convention Exclusive last year - Exterminator EXT-4C Null Signature Variant [CE-008].

One "failed its PSR" during the Gencon combat drop and misdropped onto my location instead ;)

It now has pride of place in my Brian's Cache.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2016, 02:17:43 »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2016, 09:02:43 »
Just found this on Camo Specs
http://camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/4625/exterminator-ext-4d

"The fluorescent panel lines were painted with Apple Barrel Green Glow-in-the-dark paint and lit with a blacklight, then lined over in black for the day shot."

So he repainted part of it after taking the night shot?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2016, 09:07:37 »

"The fluorescent panel lines were painted with Apple Barrel Green Glow-in-the-dark paint and lit with a blacklight, then lined over in black for the day shot."

So he repainted part of it after taking the night shot?

Looks like. Also, while it looks very cool, I'm not sure "glowing" is effective camo at night.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2016, 01:15:43 »