Author Topic: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium  (Read 380022 times)

consequences

• Master Sergeant
Re: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium
« Reply #1050 on: 24 May 2018, 16:04:02 »
Since when does Felsner run the Draconis March? I'd comment on other silliness, but that's just too glaring for me to bother.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #1051 on: 24 May 2018, 19:31:54 »
Fascinating! So is this what you were alluding to after The Day That Heaven Was Falling?
Right, exactly. That story is a first-person recollections of one individual though, so I couldn't really see how to incorporate it. So, I'm releasing it into the wild and putting it here instead.

As a concept for a single House perhaps two I think the mutiny storyline could be a very solid one. If the historic parallel is the 1st World War then the Russian Revolution is a good model for one House, while another could be France after Verdun (I see the Lyrans here where they just quit and say we will defend ourselves but advance no further), Germany signing the armistice (perhaps a sovereign is forced from the throne and tries to return after the war), or Austria-Hungary (hi Free Worlds League) just shattering into pieces.
Bingo. If my Verdun reference wasn't clue enough, I was very much thinking of the historical precedent of 1917-18, including both the Russian Revolution and the French army mutinies, as well as the Italian battles of Isonzo-Caporetto. The collapse of A-H is a good angle--hadn't thought of that aspect, but it fits the pattern, doesn't it!

The other historical precedents I was thinking of were the 1848 European revolutions as well as the Arab Spring, in terms of how revolutionary/independence movements can spread across borders.

The mercenary revolt owes more to fiction sources than history, but in 3025 Davion has a large number of multi-regiment mercenary forces... that could be a blessing, but obviously a risk as well. In that period, 4-5 regiments is far stronger than most bandit kingdoms. I'd like to see mercenaries in BT acting a bit more ... mercenary.

Anyway, the tribble is a narrative setting, like all narratives shaped to tell a specific story: how entire peoples can reach the breaking point, just as they did in world war 1. The rest is details, getting the bits to fit the story you want to tell.

Since when does Felsner run the Draconis March?
What the h*ck was his name. Fenlon? Sandoval? Hyphenated-Davion? Whatever.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1052 on: 24 May 2018, 21:08:30 »

What the h*ck was his name. Fenlon? Sandoval? Hyphenated-Davion? Whatever.

Do you not even begin to see the irony of saying that after saying:

1. The rest is details, getting the bits to fit the story you want to tell

Without getting into excessive nitpicking:

1: There is a profound difference between a pirate nation out past the back end of nowhere in hard scrabble often barely habitable worlds, and a mercenary unit trying to carve out a warlord fiefdom from prime real estate that is completely surrounded by people who will want what they have.

2:Any mini nation without serious military production is going to die a miserable screaming death in pretty short order.

3: You have to change the history leading up to 3028 too much to make the FC, and in fact everyone taking the same actions remotely believable. Okay, I lied about the lack of nitpicking, because:

A: in no conceivable reality does Max Liao allow a defensive strong point to be built that can meaningfully impede the Canon AFFS pain train, precisely because he is too paranoid about the prospect of anyone(aka Ridzik) doing what he did to his father( aka just like Ridzik helped him to do).

B: What conceivable forces is Samsonov using to hunt down loyalists?

C: Comstar providing military garrisons in this scenario that somehow don't get gassed in their barracks and their equipment reappropriated after any of a half dozen local enemies are blamed. Hahahahaha. No.

D: Why has every single intelligence agency in the IS failed utterly? If using the obvious copout of Comstar, why does Comstar then reveal they have a military at all instead of having ever so helpful new mercenaries sign on to quietly tighten the noose?

3000, maybe. 2950, sure, you even have Primus York to try blatant military presence against all good sense. 3028 is an indescribably bad time to try to have this happen, because everything is so well defined in relation to everything else. You have to carefully change everything so much that you might as well just set it earlier and save yourself endless accusations of out of character writing.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1053 on: 24 May 2018, 22:00:27 »
Do you not even begin to see the irony of saying that after saying:

Without getting into excessive nitpicking:

1: There is a profound difference between a pirate nation out past the back end of nowhere in hard scrabble often barely habitable worlds, and a mercenary unit trying to carve out a warlord fiefdom from prime real estate that is completely surrounded by people who will want what they have.

2:Any mini nation without serious military production is going to die a miserable screaming death in pretty short order.

3: You have to change the history leading up to 3028 too much to make the FC, and in fact everyone taking the same actions remotely believable. Okay, I lied about the lack of nitpicking, because:

A: in no conceivable reality does Max Liao allow a defensive strong point to be built that can meaningfully impede the Canon AFFS pain train, precisely because he is too paranoid about the prospect of anyone(aka Ridzik) doing what he did to his father( aka just like Ridzik helped him to do).

B: What conceivable forces is Samsonov using to hunt down loyalists?

C: Comstar providing military garrisons in this scenario that somehow don't get gassed in their barracks and their equipment reappropriated after any of a half dozen local enemies are blamed. Hahahahaha. No.

D: Why has every single intelligence agency in the IS failed utterly? If using the obvious copout of Comstar, why does Comstar then reveal they have a military at all instead of having ever so helpful new mercenaries sign on to quietly tighten the noose?

3000, maybe. 2950, sure, you even have Primus York to try blatant military presence against all good sense. 3028 is an indescribably bad time to try to have this happen, because everything is so well defined in relation to everything else. You have to carefully change everything so much that you might as well just set it earlier and save yourself endless accusations of out of character writing.
K.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1054 on: 25 May 2018, 07:56:05 »
While I'm on this...'nother weird idea I had. Sort of a Mirror Universe idea.
Mako's Dragoons

Concept: It was the Rim Worlds Republic, not the SLDF, that fled into the periphery.

Execution: Instead of turning on the Rim Worlds Republic, Aleksandr Kerensky makes the liberation of Terra his first and highest priority, leaving only a holding force facing the RWR. By 2772 Terra is liberated and the usurper Stephan Amaris captured, tried and executed.

The hammer falls next on the RWR. Following the conquest of Terra Prime, Regent Mohammed Selim realizes the cause is doomed, and flees with the remnants of the RWR military.

Following their defeat, the Star League falls apart into the six warring factions of the Commonwealth, the Combine, the Federated Suns, the Confederation, the League and the Terran Hegemony, led by Aleksandr Kerensky—acting as regent for the infant Amanda Cameron (his son, Nicholas Kerensky, will marry Cameron and begin the line of House Kerensky).

Internecine warfare continues for several centuries, until a mysterious mercenary unit calling themselves Mako’s Dragoons appears at the edge of the periphery. They swiftly earn a reputation for themselves for unmatched ferocity, brutality and effectiveness. Little do the six great Houses realize they herald the return of a foe though long since dead.

Result: Without ComStar’s pernicious influence, science & technology have remained relatively intact, though the increased tempo of warfare among the six Great Houses has still reduced the infrastructure of all six to ruins. Pulse lasers, LBX autocannon, ferro-fibrous armor, XL engines and other technologies are still in widespread use, though they have not advanced appreciably since the days of the Star League.

The Terran Hegemony, led by Ulric Kerensky, is the smallest but most advanced, with the most cohesive and best-trained military, led by the most fearsome warrior in the Inner Sphere, Natasha Kerensky. The Hegemony’s small size and central location mean they are frequently the object of attacks, but also mean they can quickly move reserves to trouble spots, allowing their highly-professional armies to crush any invader.

The Federated Suns, led by First Prince Ian Davion, is large and warlike, bringing it frequently into conflict with its neighbors. The prince’s ambitious younger brother, Hanse Davion, grows restless under his brother’s rule, and has secretly begun to meet with Capellan emissaries.

The Draconis Combine, led by Sei-i Taishogun Takashi Kurita, is poor yet its entire population is essentially militarized, and the fanaticism of its troops is legendary. Following the First Succession wars, the Coordinators shucked off that title and now rule as absolute warlords: Shogun. Ever since the death of Jinjiro Kurita in an invasion of the Hegemony, the two realms have been sworn enemies.

In the Lyran Commonwealth, Alessandro Steiner sits uneasily on the Archon’s throne. Katrina Steiner is still missing, presumed lost in the periphery. Rumors that Alessandro caused her disappearance are rife, and Frederick Steiner has become a focal point for opposition to Alessandro’s weak and ineffectual rule.

In the Free Worlds League, Anton Marik is basking in triumph after using Mako’s Dragoons to overthrow his brother, Janos. Anton is now wed to Candace Liao, and busy stamping out opposition to his rule, aided by the Dragoons. Andurien is in open revolt over the Liao alliance, while Oriente teeters on the brink. Meanwhile, Janos’ sons Duggan, Thomas and Duncan Marik have found refuge in the Commonwealth, Hegemony and Federated Suns, respectively, and plot their return.

Finally, the Capellan Confederation of Max Liao has found new strength thanks to its alliance with Anton Marik. Max Liao recently issued a peace proclamation, offering alliance with the other great houses, but this has generally been ignored—only young Hanse Davion has shown interest, in exchange for Romano Liao’s hand in marriage…

Meanwhile, from beyond the periphery, a great host is approaching, like the Mongol Hordes of medieval Terra, ready to sweep down on the divided Inner Sphere.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #1055 on: 25 May 2018, 08:49:53 »
A RWR version of the Clans? Interesting.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1056 on: 25 May 2018, 13:27:35 »
While I'm on this...'nother weird idea I had. Sort of a Mirror Universe idea.
Finally, the Capellan Confederation of Max Liao has found new strength thanks to its alliance with Anton Marik. Max Liao recently issued a peace proclamation, offering alliance with the other great houses, but this has generally been ignored—only young Hanse Davion has shown interest, in exchange for Romano Liao’s hand in marriage…

Meanwhile, from beyond the periphery, a great host is approaching, like the Mongol Hordes of medieval Terra, ready to sweep down on the divided Inner Sphere.

Hanse and Romano...  interesting so we will get Sun Tzu without the rumors... but will she go down the insane rabbit hole she did canon
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #1057 on: 25 May 2018, 15:53:30 »
Hanse and Romano...  interesting so we will get Sun Tzu without the rumors... but will she go down the insane rabbit hole she did canon

i think she started in the insane rabbit hole but still managed to rebuild the CCAF and hold onto the Chancellorship so good raw material

She might drive Hanse crazy though,

Crazy like a Fox...

Yeah I just did that deal with it Forumites

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1058 on: 25 May 2018, 18:12:37 »
i think she started in the insane rabbit hole but still managed to rebuild the CCAF and hold onto the Chancellorship so good raw material

She might drive Hanse crazy though,

Crazy like a Fox...

Yeah I just did that deal with it Forumites
and just think how motivated that could make Hanse, to stay on the offensive to stay away from home!!!  Con Fed to rule the IS
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1059 on: 26 May 2018, 10:30:57 »
It's an interesting idea, but in what conceivable universe does Mako Dragoons not scream 'Rim Worlds Scouts' to literally everyone? Even Wolf's Dragoons wasn't quite that blatant, and that's after penalizing them for not thinking about Wolverine survivors.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #1060 on: 26 May 2018, 12:32:47 »
It is an interesting idea certainly about an Amaris Exodus but I think an Expeditionary Force would be hot on their tails in any event seeking revenge for all the carnage they caused.

Still the SLDF would have faced a much more difficult task without the base worlds of the Rim Worlds Republic from which to stage.   

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1061 on: 27 May 2018, 00:56:25 »

In the 31st Century there is a conspiracy. Like any conspiracy there are those fully in the know who are immersed in the matter; there are those who interact with those not in the know and keep the secret; there are those who might one day be brought into the conspiracy and might be given a easily deniable fact or two to see how they handle it; and finally there are the ignorant who are being carefully kept the truth they couldn't cope with.

The proportion of these four groups in the Clan Worlds is roughly 90%, 9%, 0.9% and 0.1%.

The 90% are those who live on the three hundred odd colonies founded without the knowledge of the warrior Caste. The 9% are the civilians who live in Clan Enclaves and keep the warriors from discovering these facts. The 0.9% are warrior caste drop-outs who either became civilians or fill the policing sub-caste - although a few Snow Raven, Diamond Shark and Burrock warriors know there's something more out there and have been bribed with what amounts to a few beads not to investigate further.

And then there are the 0.1% - the Bloodname houses, freeborn warriors descended from drop-outs who couldn't hack it in a 'real' society and went back. With vanishingly few exceptions they don't navigate their jumpships or direct HPG communications so it's laughably easy to hide an interstellar community from them. For two hundred years the rest of the population have allowed them to glory in the ownership of the 'pew-pew' buttons and quietly eased themselves away from the maniacs with the BattleMechs.

There have been the occasional individuals who came close to discovering these matters but equipment malfunctions or leaked rumours on the ChatterWeb have eliminated most of those threats without much fuss. It's been a while since it was necessary - the Scientists running the Iron Wombs aren't exactly breeding the warriors for intelligence and it's been a century and a half since any of the Bloodnamed Warriors knew enough about genetics to figure that out.

Numbers within the so-called 'Clan' enclaves are on the decline now and within a few generations it should be possible move the ritualised conflicts down to a less damaging level. After all, if a warrior's inside a 'Mech or suit of battle armour, how hard will it be to convince them they're in battle and not just a very good simulation.

The one thing that mustn't happen though, is for the Warrior Caste to encounter any outsiders who don't play by the same rules. They're not quite at the point where they might not be able to adapt. The last thing that anyone needs is for them to start developing an intelligence service... or any intelligence for that matter.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1062 on: 27 May 2018, 18:29:48 »
Hmm...basically it's a conspiracy that's pretty much dumbing down the warrior caste. That sound about right?

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #1063 on: 27 May 2018, 20:19:22 »
and just think how motivated that could make Hanse, to stay on the offensive to stay away from home!!!  Con Fed to rule the IS
Yes I doubt any of us would want to come home to that sort of crazy.  No, let my trusted advisor handle domestic stuff, we need to reach further into enemy territory, take more systems!  Of course I have to be near the front, order decision loops get too long to the capitol!
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #1064 on: 27 May 2018, 22:26:47 »
Yes I doubt any of us would want to come home to that sort of crazy.  No, let my trusted advisor handle domestic stuff, we need to reach further into enemy territory, take more systems!  Of course I have to be near the front, order decision loops get too long to the capitol!

Although you know, she was an accomplished micro-gravity acrobat.  Maybe not to far

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1065 on: 28 May 2018, 09:13:24 »
Hmm...basically it's a conspiracy that's pretty much dumbing down the warrior caste. That sound about right?

The Great Scientist Caste Conspiracy, just infinitely less stupid and doomed to fail.

TheBrokenLance

• Private
« Reply #1066 on: 06 June 2018, 00:28:57 »
We've been getting a lot of Inner Sphere mashup tribbles, so this one won't be too original.  I hope to give this idea a more thorough treatment some day, which might flesh out some additional quirks in the setting.  But still, for what it's worth, here's...

Even in already-established Battletech canon, Katrina Steiner wasn't the first Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth to send out a general peace proposal.  In late 2864, a newly-ascendant Elizabeth Steiner also broached the subject of a wind-down to the Succession Wars. 

The hard-charging Captain General Gerald Marik had just died in 2861, and with him died his implacable determination to carry on the Second Succession War until his Free Worlds League had reclaimed every world it had lost while under ComStar Interdiction in the 2830's.  It was none-too-soon.  Not only had the FWL lost nearly a score of worlds in the Second Succession War (and didn’t have any real chance of retaking them in the immediate future), but the industrial base of the nation was shot through; heavily damaged by objective raids and the unseen assassins of ComStar’s Operation Holy Shroud.   The nation was in no fit state to continue fighting, and everyone but Gerald knew it.

Fortunately his replacement, his sister Philippa, did recognize the true nature of the situation.  Despite having been a fairly successful military commander in her own right, she now advocated for peace, desperate for the Free Worlds League to get some breathing space to rest, rebuild, and try to at least make good in part its devastating losses.  Early correspondence between Philippa and Elizabeth had been positive - both had remarked privately that the other seemed a nice enough sort - and a general detente seemed to be in the offing.  Moreover, both sides hoped to build on this foundation, leading to the first real bouts of optimism seen in either capital for years. And so, after an initial exchange of envoys, Philippa Marik dispatched her charming son James, only 6 years Elizabeth's senior, to personally lead a negotiation team heading to Tharkad to see if the young Archon’s desire for peace was any more than wishful thinking.

In canon, Philippa sent James with instructions to aim for the stars.  Rather than simply negotiating a bi-lateral treaty between the Lyrans and Free Worlds League, the Captain General ordered her diplomats to press Elizabeth.   Philippa wanted a general conference of the powers to negotiate a formal end to the Second Succession War, and possibly reach some sort of sustainable modus vivendi between the five great Houses of the Inner Sphere.  Elizabeth, whether out of shared idealism, naivete, or desperation, agreed, and thus was born the ill-fated New Earth conference of 2865.

The conference was a disaster from the get-go.  The Kurita delegation felt insulted by the hotel rooms they had been allocated, and still acted surly even after the Marik delegation offered to swap lodgings.  The representatives from the Cappellan Confederation refused to back down from the demand that peace would only be possible if they were granted the immediate return of all worlds conquered from the Confederation by any other power since the fall of the Star League.  The Kuritans smugly chimed in to say, not that it would have any practical relevance in relation to the Cappellan demand, but they were only observers and didn’t have the authority to commit the Draconis Combine to any action at all.  The final straw on the camel’s back was First Prince Luther Davion, attending the conference in person, who only wanted to talk about how everyone else should obviously be listening to him…after all, he was First Lord of the Star League.

At least the Marik and Steiner delegations got to blow off a little steam by framing the smug Kurita representative for espionage and getting him picked up by Lyran Intelligence.

That’s where things ended in canon; a broken-down peace conference, both Elizabeth Steiner and Philippa Marik deeply disappointed, and the Free World’s League and Lyran Commonwealth doomed to fight another two destructive Succession Wars.  So badly did things go awry, that only four years after the breakdown of the New Earth talks, Philippa Marik ordered an assassination attempt against the Archon; one which very nearly succeeded (it was only stopped by the ever-present Griffin Battlemechs flanking the throne).  No reason is ever given for such a rapid decay in personal relations between Philippa and Elizabeth, and the supposed real politik concern behind the attempt - courting the Draconis Combine, still smarting after the Snow Fox affair - is not given any greater detail in any of the sourcebooks that I have been able to find.   

But what if it didn’t end that way

In canon, the good feeling and rapprochement between the two female leaders somehow disintegrated so badly that three years after they both were calling for Sphere-wide peace and at least partial disarmament, Philippa Marik was launching surprise attacks into the Isle of Skye and sponsoring assassination attempts against Elizabeth Steiner in order to win the favor of the Draconis Combine, of all people.  Not to question the wisdom of the sainted Herb, but this reeks of a missed opportunity.

Even though the general peace conference failed to hash out germs, there was no reason why the FWL and LyrCom shouldn’t have, at the least, signed a bilateral agreement, just as they had at the close of the First Succession War with the Bella Accords in 2821. 
Moreover, the incentives were positively aligned for such a deal to actually have a fair bit of staying power.  Both nations were at their wits’ end, desperate to stop pouring resources into crumbling militaries, and spend some time regrouping and restoring their shattered economies.  In both cases, large political forces were baying for demobilization and a peace dividend; after the tyrannies and torture chambers of Cruel Claudius Steiner’s tenure in office and then the power-vacuum of Elizabeth’s regency, the Lyran Estates General was feeling its oats and (unusually for that august body) actually wielding significant influence and power.  In the Free Worlds League, factions in parliament besieged the Captain General with demands to roll back the federalization of provincial military units, or even step down and return power to the Parliamentary Executive Council.

While a deal between the two nations would certainly have encountered sticking points – the status of the worlds taken by the LyrCom during the late war, for example, and possible Marik reparations for the Lyran factories destroyed by Leaguer objective raids – a bright future was certainly possible; a possibility where, at the very least, the Marik/Steiner border is mostly demilitarized, leaving the LCAF free to whole-heartedly oppose the swift and savage Draconis Combine offensives that kicked off the Third Succession War, and the FWLM to focus on battering down the Liaoist threat to the galactic “east.”  Had the goodwill between the two rulers taken any deeper root in the two nations, there was much more to gain. 

We need not even imagine an immediate Steiner/Marik Federated Commonwealth avant la lettre, with James Marik marrying the young Archon (though such an outcome might well have occurred; James Marik did canonically marry a Lyran member of the Estates General that he met on his diplomatic trip to Tharkad, which caused no small scandal when he eventually succeeded his mother to the Captain-Generalcy).  At the very least, trying to figure out how to create a portmanteau of Archon Captain-General would be a nightmare.  Archon-General?  Captarchon?  Yuck.

It is merely enough to imagine the two largest economies of the Successor States forming a single free trade zone, with the capital-heavy Lyrans rushing to speculate in cash-poor but resource-, market-share, and know-how rich FWL industries.  Of the Lestrades and Kelswas finally getting to scheme and plot with their true kinsmen, the Halases and Humphreys.  Of the Lyrans not being so achingly dependant on Hesperus for their miltech, and the Mariks actually having resources.  Culturally, the match is a good one; both nations are full of fierce regionalisms, are quite diverse, are politically fairly decentralized, and generally prefer making money to military conquest.  They even complement each other’s weaknesses; though LOKI can be overzealous and brutal, SAFE can use all the help it can get.  And FWLM officers have been used to making mountains out of molehills, and pulling shining victories out on a shoe-string.  Imagine what they might do when allowed to train under less-pinched fiscal constraints!  I also imagine Trace Coburn salivating at a hypothetical aerosquadron where Lyran Seydlitz ran interference for Marik Stingers and Reivers, with Chippewas relegated to dedicated fire-support.

Even an outright merger between the two nations would produce interesting (but not munchy) results.  The awkwardly-named Free Commonwealth would be an economic and technological titan, but rife with factionalism and grift, militarily defensive and unimaginative (though with aggressive frontier march lords in Tamar and Oriente liable to hare off on wild schemes), and full of enough corporate espionage (and even minor inter-provincial warfare) to keep legions of Shadowrun fans in campaign material for decades.  The political leadership would be, by turns, hilariously inept and hard-headedly realistic, but with that splash of naive idealism that grows from idle prosperity.  A true burgher nation.

Besides, just imagine the sheer joy of an alternate Concord of Kapteyn with Takashi Kurita, Maximilian Liao, and *gulp* Hanse Davion?!?  :D :D :D

« Last Edit: 06 June 2018, 20:41:40 by TheBrokenLance »

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1067 on: 07 June 2018, 02:07:13 »
The idea of a FWL/LC merger has been discussed a bit recently and someone one pointed out that the easiest way to unite them politically would be to admit the LC to the FWL as a province. Because the seats in Parliament are allocated based on tax revenue not population, the LC would have a massive vote share, which would probably motivate the rest of Parliament to agree to some form of constitutional reforms, potentially getting rid of the Camlann precedent and some of the other factors that have limited the FWL historically, in exchange for a merger that doesn't let the Lyran voting bloc (if it could be held together) push through basically whatever they want.

If you want to merge the names then Free Worlds Commonwealth would be a possibility, with a Steiner-Marik who is both Archon of the Lyran province and Captain-General, just as the Mariks are both Captain-Generals and rulers of the Marik Commonwealth. In fact the Marik Commonwealth might merge into the Lyran's getting representation in their Estates General, thus being what House Marik is giving up in exchange for the Steiners subordinating themselves to the FWL as the core of the new government.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 02:11:04 by drakensis »
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

TheBrokenLance

• Private
« Reply #1068 on: 07 June 2018, 19:59:37 »
So you're imagining the Estates General becomes the provincial government for the new "Lyran Archonate" province of the Free Worlds?  Or some sort of dual-sovereignty?

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1069 on: 08 June 2018, 02:14:40 »
Well this is just my thinking, but assuming a Marik-Steiner marriage, this would lead to a Marik-Steiner who was ruler of:
  • the planet Marik, which is one part of...
    the Marik Commonwealth, which is one part of...
    the Lyran Commonwealth, which is one part of...
    the Free Worlds League.

The Estates-General would remain an advisory body for the Archon, that being the title of the ruler of the Lyran Commonwealth.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1070 on: 08 June 2018, 03:59:50 »

Stefan Amaris launches his coup, and all goes to plan initially, except that some members of the SLDF in Unity City (Black Watch, Blackhearts, SLDF reservists, take your pick) managed to get into the palace and before being massacred by his bodyguards, fatally wound The Usurper.

Now RWR forces have still done a fairly complete job of taking over the Hegemony, and all his family and advisors still live, but with the man himself dead and an unimaginably pissed off SLDF likely to come kick their teeth in, what is the plan now?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #1071 on: 08 June 2018, 05:04:59 »
Hold the remaining Camerons for ransom and then get out of dodge  ;)

PeacMaker03

• Corporal
« Reply #1072 on: 08 June 2018, 11:10:21 »
   Amaris heir marries Cameron heir, and forces a spawn from her, RWR forces just need to hold out for the spawn to be born to completely muddle the situation. RWR's propaganda machine is still going, Kerensky revolt was because he found out about the "marriage" of Amaris and Cameron. Stray Voltage propaganda...er Public relations of the Star League fighting for oppressors against rightful Rulers of the SL.
    Ironic that even in regular timeline there was a Cameron heir,  the one that married Vincent Davion, could spin that to muddy waters even more.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/House_Cameron_Family_Tree

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1073 on: 26 June 2018, 14:42:43 »
Some how to explain where all those old mechs and tanks and war machine went during the cut down after the end of the word of blank rampage there was somehow something about they vanished across the IS and clan space and now one knew what happened to all that great combat gear....hee is what happened to it and the fall out in a different world when all kinds of stuff fell into kids hands.....

"I chose you 1A1 Changer!" shouted some kid as he held up a red and white ball to relase a beam of light and a 10 meter tall battle mech come into being.

"Ha, my warrior copter will beat you worthless mech punk and I will chose to salvage nothing from it even."

Pokeman with Battletech war machines. no one is sure how they pilot themselves or even get balanced to fight a packrat tank VS a Dire wolf, but it does....though they are hard on the Terran around them though.

This short and weird idea come the other day and just had to post this just weird idea out there. I know there could be more detail to it, but just the though is what I wanted to share. If you wish to expand and run with idea, feel free to share and I want to see how weird you guys can get.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1074 on: 01 July 2018, 00:16:48 »
Ok here's one for y'all. What if when the Ulahans made their surprise attack on Sian to get Justin Allard out they accidentally killed Max, Romano, and Tean Shen? Candice surrenders the rest of the Confederation to Morgan ending the war.Then the Allard-Liaos become the lords of the newly minted St Ives March. It is 3030 and the 4th war is over. What will Comstar do now that the Federated Commonwealth is all but unstoppable?

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1075 on: 01 July 2018, 00:45:25 »
The forces that would become the Word of Blake saw the 2nd Star League as the culmination of Blake's vision.  (Or at least some of the more idealistic did)  What if instead of throwing a fit when the Federated Suns and Lyran Alliance withdrew after their civil war, they recognized the likely consequences and took action before it was too late?

Proto-Blakist elements in ROM splash Katrina's and Ryan Steiner's incriminating emails across every front page in the Federated Commonwealth within a week of Melissa's assassination and a very different civil war erupts.  A much more one sided one of Donegal, Coventry, and the Suns under Yvonne and Peter Steiner-Davion against rebellious elements in Skye. 

There will, of course, be consequences.  Focht learns he doesn't have as firm of control as he thought.  Victor owes the Blakists.  The BDS goes underground and stops using HPGs for fear of the same happening to them if they rock the boat.  At the moment the Star League is still focused on the Clans, but the Bulls can see a Second Reunification War on the horizon...

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1076 on: 02 July 2018, 00:46:34 »
These ideas came up in another discussion where I provided two AUs as examples. There seems to have been enough approval to post them here.

Suppose that Andery Kerensky did not die on Eden during Operation Klondike. In order to defuse the rivalry between Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon over who would receive the Kerensky bloodline, Andery suggests that he joins the Jade Falcons and Nicholas joins the Wolves as intended. In the short term this reduces the rivalry but in the long term the two Bloodhouses emerge as rivals. After Nicholas' death Andery is elected as ilKhan (rather than Jerome Winson) and this unintentionally begins a whipsaw effect of the Clans always electing a Kerensky as the ilKhan, alternating between the two bloodhouses and as the differences mount, a schism develops between the two Clans and their respective allies. Once the Crusader issue arises, it becomes a fighting point between the two factions and leads to a short but savage war between the Clans over the issue - a war that wrecks several Clans to the point of absorption.

Janos became Captain General in 2991 and largely refrained from serious military action so the FWL could recover and also prepared for celebrations of the end of the millennium. As a young and idealistic ruler, possibly he issued something like Katrina Steiner's Peace Proposal. At the other side of that, there's Andrew Davion, who knows he doesn't have much time left and will have to entrust the Suns to his young sons and his son-in-law Michael - who is both ambitious and rabidly anti-Capellan (at least officially) - so while an outright peace proposal isn't feasible he's open to an alliance that could give his sons at least one secure flank. Also, Janos' first daughter Theresa is almost exactly the age of Hanse Davion. Janos was certainly interested in arranging politically useful marriages for his children so possibly the millennial celebrations are held by both states and culminate in the marriage of Hanse Davion to Therese Marik, possibly followed by a dramatic war declaration by the father of the bride and the elder brother of the groom: "In honour of this marriage we give the happy couple a princely prize: the Capellan Confederation."

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1077 on: 02 July 2018, 02:04:56 »
#548 - Probably been done before but this is something I'm working on for a new campaign at some point.

In 3013 Hanse Davion becomes First Prince, and Michael Hasek became Duke of New Syrtis/Field Marshall of Capellan March. Both men don't like each other, and Hanse has Michael placed under surveillance.

As a result of this, proof of Hasek dealing with House Liao is uncovered, along with proof that Liao is working with Anton Marik against Janos Marik, the ruler of the Free Worlds League. This information is shared with Janos, and both realms get rid of the family black sheep. Overall this fosters a lot of goodwill between the FedSun and FWL.

Fast forward to 3020 and Katrina Steiner sends out her "Peace Proposal" to the Inner Sphere. Hanse sees this and tells Janos he's got an idea to get rid of the Capellan Confederation once and for all....

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1078 on: 02 July 2018, 18:31:10 »
#548 - Probably been done before but this is something I'm working on for a new campaign at some point.

In 3013 Hanse Davion becomes First Prince, and Michael Hasek became Duke of New Syrtis/Field Marshall of Capellan March. Both men don't like each other, and Hanse has Michael placed under surveillance.

As a result of this, proof of Hasek dealing with House Liao is uncovered, along with proof that Liao is working with Anton Marik against Janos Marik, the ruler of the Free Worlds League. This information is shared with Janos, and both realms get rid of the family black sheep. Overall this fosters a lot of goodwill between the FedSun and FWL.

Fast forward to 3020 and Katrina Steiner sends out her "Peace Proposal" to the Inner Sphere. Hanse sees this and tells Janos he's got an idea to get rid of the Capellan Confederation once and for all....
so good, it could lead to something which would be very good
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1079 on: 07 July 2018, 17:48:59 »
So two ideas that sees a firm alliance between the FWL and FS. Before their own versions of the FedCom Civil War.