Author Topic: Opalescent Reflections  (Read 55668 times)

drakensis

• Lieutenant
Re: Opalescent Reflections
« Reply #720 on: 06 April 2024, 02:17:34 »
Opalescent Reflections

Full House
Chapter 2

Camora, Twycross
Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
11 August 3056

The holo display sprang to life precisely on time and it was as if the two Khans of Clan Snow Raven were seated across the circular table from Aidan Pryde. It was possible, even probable that they weren’t even in the same star system as each other, but he couldn’t tell - there was no clue from the details such as their lighting to suggest evidence one way or another.

No surprise really, the Snow Ravens were notoriously politically astute. They wouldn’t give up any advantage if they didn’t have to.

“Khan McKenna,” Aidan said with a bow of his head. Then he turned incrementally and greeted the other junior Khan: “Khan Cooper.”

The ivory-haired Lynn McKenna’s eyes flicked left and right. “We are not to be graced by Elias, quineg?” she inquired.

“Our administration of the occupied worlds has yet to catch up with the scale demanded,” he answered with what he hoped was smoothness. “Khan Crichell has delegated me all authority to speak for our Clan on this matter.”

“A considerable degree of trust,” the Khan said with scorn.

Aidan continued to smile welcomingly. “Well, he did make me promise not to give up Ironhold.”

There was a slight snort from Bryn Cooper and Aidan wondered if the other saKhan was remembering similar slights or assumed slights from his senior. The man hadn’t been McKenna’s first choice as junior Khan and it wasn’t clear if he’d hold the position if Klaus Harper hadn’t declined nomination in favor of retaining his current post as Loremaster. Crichell had actually provided a dossier on the Snow Raven leadership and Aidan wondered if he was being graded on how he used the information.

“I would have hoped that Elias would have weighed our concerns slightly higher,” noted McKenna. “However, it gives us a chance to take your measure, Khan Pryde. Your rise has been impressive.”

“That could be said of any Khan. Few warriors rise to our rank,” he said dismissively.

“Aff, but even fewer do so after their own Clan judged them unfit to be warriors in their Trial of Position.”

Aidan hid a grimace. What was she trying to… oh, if he said the Jade Falcon’s internal workings were not a concern it would put him at a disadvantage over the cause of this meeting. “The precedent for a second trial of position is little used in my own Clan,” he admitted instead. “Still, a Trial of Refusal was fought and won.”

McKenna nodded grudgingly. “One cannot reasonably argue with that.” Then she glared at him. “We can, however, argue over your interference in our internal affairs.”

“If you wish,” Aidan agreed genially.

This didn’t seem to be what they expected and Cooper gave him a suspicious look. “You have been briefed on this matter, quiaff?”

“Aff,” he confirmed and steepled his fingers. “This is about the request that Nerran McKenna be sent back to the homeworlds, quiaff?”

“Aff,” Cooper agreed. “The election of a bloodhouse leader is serious business, Khan Pryde.”

Aidan nodded. “There are a few details that I am a little uncertain about. Perhaps you could clarify them for me, Khan Cooper?”

Once the other man nodded, Aidan continued: “It seems to me that requesting that one of our serving officers be reassigned for sixteen months would be interfering in our internal affairs. Unless,” he held up his hand before Cooper could speak up, “Either your Clan has some means of traveling back to the homeworlds in some more convenient timeframe or the message has at some point been misconstrued and it was a request for realtime HPG communication back to Lum, something that would be far more practical.”

McKenna’s face twisted. “You are trying to tell me that a member of my own bloodhouse is to be made unavailable for his bloodhouse’s affairs at the whim of Clan Jade Falcon, quineg?”

He hid a chuckle, remembering how Horse had dealt with a similarly provocative challenge. “I was asking Khan Cooper some questions,” he told her. “I imagine that Star Captain McKenna would be upset about being sent back to the homeworlds right as the Inner Sphere starts using warships and he at last has a chance at that level of glory.”

Cooper nodded without thinking and Aidan saw McKenna frown. The Snow Raven saKhan was commanding a naval star of warships that had been contracted to support Clan Jade Falcon. If they withdrew now then it would remove some of their ability to withstand future attacks by FCS Invincible… and also deny Cooper the chance of honorable combat against the battlecruiser.

“It is possible that the message was corrupted somehow,” the junior Snow Raven offered. “It was communicated via ComStar after all and I do not consider them entirely reliable.”

Both men looked at McKenna, who gave her saKhan a sour look.

Aidan spread his hands slightly. “If you do have a means to transport Nerran McKenna to the homeworlds swiftly, that would be immensely valuable for our logistics. I imagine all the Clans would bid enthusiastically for the technology.”

“Given your military circumstances,” she replied with as much grace as she could muster, “It would have been unreasonable to dispatch Nerran to Lum immediately. If you were not denying him contact with the rest of our bloodhouse then this matter is a regrettable miscommunication.”

“Something that would be best avoided in the future,” Aidan agreed mildly. “Khan Cooper, I believe that your Stars of warships will be best deployed along the frontlines in the future rather than covering our supply lines. As such, it would only be appropriate for you to participate in our strategic councils, which would let us avoid such mistakes in the future. I can assure you, Khan McKenna, that we have no objection whatsoever to any of our warriors using the HPG channels to communicate with the homeworlds.”

The Snow Raven Khan gave Aidan a suspicious look. “I will leave you to discuss this further, Bryn. You are the commander on the scene.” She reached out and tapped a control, vanishing from the room as she cut her signal.

Cooper gave her empty seat a thoughtful look and then turned back to Aidan. “Where were you hoping to deploy our warships?”

Time to cater to his ego, Aidan thought. He had had some practice with this, soliciting votes for his election to saKhan. “I would appreciate your advice,” he told them. “There is a truce but we can hardly count on the Inner Sphere to keep their word. My first thought is that they will try to push us back from the worlds around Tharkad, but how to best use your warships to defend against that is outside of my experience…”

Fortress Dieron, Dieron
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
19 August 3056

Fortress Dieron had once been a major SLDF base, not quite a Castle Brian for technical distinctions that Minoru Kurita could not call to mind offhand. Possibly it just wasn’t large enough, ‘merely’ accommodating four or five regiments of soldiers.

Although most of the base was buried under Mount Shanyu, it had exits on several levels and one of them opened onto a pleasant little garden wedged between two outcrops of the mountain’s heights. Here, screened by the wind, the Coordinator of the Draconis Combine and the Warlord of Dieron sat across from each other and were served tea.

Their conversation as the tea pot was washed, heated, filled and eventually poured out with exquisite grace by a servant who had made the ceremony of this process his life’s work had been polite and touched on such important topics as poetry, flowers and the results of a kenjutsu tournament which Minoru had arrived just a little too late to attend, although the winner would have the honor of being presented to him the next day.

“Your name has been brought up before me by ministers and bureaucrats outside the Ministry of War,” Minoru observed gently, once the servant had departed.

Almost old enough to be his grandfather, Sorenson swallowed his tea smoothly. “Perhaps they are complimenting my efficiency, Lord Kurita?” he suggested after his throat was clear.

“Your efficiency has not been criticized in my hearing.”

“Ah,” the warlord replied with a nod. “Wealth and Wellbeing want my hands off their business?”

The Ministry of Wealth and the Disbursing of Assets and the Ministry of the Well-Being of the Land and the Peoples - usually rendered more succinctly as the Treasury and the Ministry of the Interior - were two of the five ministries that made up the government of the Draconis Combine. The Ministry of War had always been the most powerful as they could subordinate all other concerns to the needs of the military, but that wasn’t to say they could ignore the rest of the government entirely.

“Those ministers, but officials of the others.” Minoru placed his cup down on the table without any audible sound. “How might you have offended them?”

The warlord met his eyes and then lowered his own tea cup. “The loss of Luthien,” he said quietly, “and then of New Samarkand has left the district and prefectural offices of the ministries without direction as court was out of contact at times. In addition, district officials have been called on to serve at court.”

The young ruler watched and listened, saying nothing. Silence invited others to fill it, often revealing more than was intended.

He saw Sorenson smile slightly, perhaps seeing through the ploy. “The result has been increased responsibility placed upon prefectural offices. Some responded by doing nothing without instruction, paralyzing the bureaucracy. Others rose to the occasion and took initiative.”

That matched Minoru’s understanding from the reports he’d received. Allowing for interpretation, of course. “And you became involved,” he observed, not making it a question.

“When it impacted upon military readiness,” the older man agreed. “I approve of initiative.” His lips quirked. “Sometimes that has been a problem in my career.” Such as leaving him in command of a company for decades, passed over for promotion repeatedly.

Minoru lifted his cup and deliberately sipped once more. Only when he placed it back on the table, eyes now looking out over the mountains, did he hear Sorenson continue.

“I do not claim to understand all of the details of the other ministries, but I understand results - and that paralysis is as deadly in government as it is in war. Officials who were allowing their duties to go undone for lack of direction were dismissed in various fashions - sometimes sent to serve at court where they would have the supervision they needed, sometimes demoted…” Sorenson made a sweeping gesture with his free hand. “I made it clear that in the absence of instructions from above, the prefectural officials must accept responsibility.”

Minoru finished his cup of tea and set it aside, rising to his feet. Walking out on the patio until he could feel the wind ruffle his hair, he looked out across the vista of Dieron, grand and often inhospitable up here in its mountains. One of Terra’s first colonies, but never one of its most welcoming. Most cities clung to the valleys or the coast of the one sea, not here. “And the results?”

“Efficiency,” the warlord told him. “Costs are down, productivity is up. Supplies for the military flow smoothly, and to the extent I have seen them, my understanding is that trade and judicial matters are in a better state than they were before the Clans came. Certainly tax revenue is up. It worked.” His tone slipped slightly towards the end, emphasizing the last word.

It had. That was perhaps what offended the ministries the most.

“You have never encouraged the officials to ignore the dictates of their superiors.” Minoru stated it as a fact. The ISF had been watching for that, which would have spoken of rebellion.

Sorenson moved to stand at his side, perhaps a half-step behind. Close enough that he could push and -

Well, it wasn’t so steep that Minoru would call it a fall. A tumble, and one that he might not survive because the stone would be hard and unforgiving. Mentally he rehearsed how to counter such an attack, both to send Sorenson over the end and how to avoid that.

“I have served House Kurita all my life,” the old man murmured. “I will continue to serve, even if it must be in my death.”

Minrou considered inviting the man to take two steps forwards into the void and rejected the notion almost immediately. The temptation was to exercise his power, not to use it productively. There would be repercussions, not least the loss of an able officer. “Counsel me,” he said instead.

“There may be repercussions for those who have followed my example in the district,” Sorenson conceded. “Now that your capital is secure on Irurzun, the ministers wish to have the same degree of control they once had and to punish those who exceeded their instructions.”

“Instructions or authority?”

“Their authority is vested in their responsibilities.”

Minoru shook his head. “That can be used as an excuse for much. If this is merely an extraordinary situation and extraordinary measures were needed and can now be set aside, then official repercussions may be avoided.”

Sorenson rocked back and forth slightly on the balls of his feet. “And, were it not an extraordinary measure? There have been benefits to the arrangements made. Is the Combine in a position where we can afford to pass up any advantage.”

The Coordinator exhaled, hearing his breath over the wind. “This conversation deserves more tea.”

Sorenson stepped back deferentially and followed Minoru back to the table, raising a small bell that summoned the servant again.

The man kindled the fire beneath the kettle and produced fresh cups for them, preparing the tea with no less grace than he had shown previously. As he departed again, Minoru lifted the cup and sniffed gently at the aroma. “Let us speak of hypotheticals, setting aside any protests of the district governor and the ministries. What would you wish to do?”

Sorenson sighed. “Dieron has always been… fractious. Worlds that look back to the days of the Terran Hegemony. Worlds settled by the Arkab. And, of course, worlds raided and fought over more often than any others within the Combine. But there is power here, if we can harness it.”

“Such a harness is the work of the ministries,” Minoru observed. But he was thinking of the numbers brought to him by the ISF. The hard numbers of productivity, dissidence and other factors. By those merits, Sorenson had been doing a good job - not just as a soldier but also in steering the district. His civilian counterpart had floundered, promoted above his ability when the original was called to Irurzun to take up a new post. Sorenson, raised from low rank, had excelled.

“They do not harness it,” the warlord said flatly. “They crush it. They fear it. But to a warrior, that seems wrong. One should respect power, but never fear it.”

The coordinator nodded. “Your plan?”

“Currently the prefectures struggle with regulations that are being standardized across worlds with different needs. I would redraw the boundaries to form just three prefectures: one built around the Azami worlds, one around former Hegemony core worlds here and another closer covering the rest of the border, named for Vega.”

“Vega?”

“Yes.” Sorenson squared his shoulders. “Base the Arkab Legions out of the Azami worlds, and the Legion of Vega out of the other prefecture. Use them as rallying points for recruitment and training.”

Minoru lifted his cup and drained it slowly, not lowering it until drunk it all the way to the dregs. “You may be familiar with another state that ties troops to provinces.”

Sorenson looked as if he was tempted to laugh in chagrin. “The Free Worlds League assuredly takes the matter too far, but it must be remembered that they are wealthy and currently successful. Thomas Marik is raising regiments steadily to expand his military. Strong, capable prefectural governments may let us build up those two brigades to or beyond their previous strength.”

“And if they prove faithless?” he asked.

“Then there are the Dieron Regulars,” Sorenson said flatly. “And a warlord would have much to make up for.”

Stronger prefectures would draw power away from the district government and also from court. Minoru could already imagine how the ministers would respond. It might also draw power away from him, which would be destabilizing. History was full of examples of rulers who loosened their control slightly only to see their realm tear free of them. His grandfather had always been very careful in rolling back previous Coordinator’s excessive measures to never lower his guard.

And yet… could he give up the chance for more supplies and soldiers to fight the Clans? What did a rebellion among the Arkab matter if he wound up unable to hold Dieron in the first place? The Star League’s planned offensives would shatter the truceline so if they failed, the Sharks, Bears and Jaguars would carve their way through Dieron District and all the way to Terra.

“I do not think I should apply such principles outside of Dieron,” he said slowly. “Nor to adopt it here without more thought. But,” he held up his hand. “I do not wish to deter those who showed initiative when we needed it.”

Dali, Tamar
Clan Wolf Occupation Zone
2 October 3056

BANG! The punching bag swung away from Ulric Kerensky, propelled by his right fist.

BANG! His left lashed out, catching it on the backswing and pushing it away again.

BANG! Right fist again.

The Khan of Clan Wolf was sweating as he worked the bag, venting the frustrations that had harried him for a year now.

If he imagined the faces of Marialle Radick and Vladimir Ward on the bag, that was something that just made him strike harder, shifting his feet to brace each blow. He’d made a rod for his own back by breaking the Zeerga off, and at times he was beginning to think it would have been better to abjure them entirely.

Of course that would have required a vote, which might have been lost.

BANG!

This time the bag didn’t swing back towards him, caught in two familiar hands. “Did the bag do something to offend you, my Khan?”

Ulric’s chest heaved as he glared at the new arrival in the gym. “Erik,” he greeted his loremaster once his breathing steadier.

His sibkin gestured towards a bench alongside the small gym. “The bag wasn’t giving up but I think your gloves might be about to. When did you last replace them?”

The khan frowned. “A month ago, perhaps?”

“Hmm. You have been giving them a workout, I suppose.”

“Unfortunately, Radick and Ward are not here to take the beating.” Ulric studied the gloves and saw the surface was cracking already. He should have noticed sooner but his mind had been on other things when he entered the gym.

Erik shook his head. “What have they done now? More of the same?”

“The same,” he growled. “Challenging for anything that is not nailed down, and hiding behind our warriors whenever there is an attempt at retaliation.”

“Quite the turn of phrase. Something you learned from Phelan?”

“Natasha.”

Erik helped him peel off the gloves and then passed him a bottled sports drink, rich in electrolytes (if not taste). “She can be eloquent at times, I have found.”

Ulric growled again and slumped onto the bench. “I should have killed them.”

“I am not quite sure we could have pulled that off.” Erik patted him on the shoulder as he cracked the lid on the bottle. “But on the bright side: the pact to defend them does not last forever. A few months and they will be standing on their own. A few months after that…”

The khan took a long drink from the bottle and swallowed it. “A few months after that…?”

His sibkin shook his head, sweat-damp hair marking that he have also been exercising. “There is a pool on how long the Zeerga will survive without our protection. I am wagering on nine weeks.”

“What are the odds of them surviving?” Ulric asked him.

“Enough that Evantha - the young Fetladral?”

Ulric nodded to confirm he knew her, then drank again from the bottle.

“If they last a year, she will be rich in favors and the respect of her peers.”

“Perhaps I should make her the khan then,” Ulric grumbled. “All I am doing is bleeding away warriors, equipment and favors for ingrate idiots.”

Erik opened a bag and pulled out a towel, rubbing his hair. “She was told it was a… sucker bet was Phelan’s phrase. But as she said, she loses very little if she is wrong and can win much. And she does know Vlad Ward better than I do.”

Swallowing the last of the sports drink, Ulric took a deep breath and felt the ache of his workout for the first time. He threw the bottle towards the garbage can and was pleased to see it bounce off the rim and drop neatly into the interior. “More than I do. He was always one of Conal’s favorites. So what brings you here? Besides rescuing that weight bag from me?”

“You sent for me, not the other way around. About the civilians, I assume?”

“Ah.” It had escaped his mind for a moment. “No, but since you mention it, how is that going?”

Bringing in civilians from the Clan homeworlds had been Erik’s personal project, creating enclaves across the occupation zone that would live under Clan law and custom, an example to those they had conquered.

“There is friction,” his sibkin admitted. “I’d envisaged starting afresh but Phelan was right that taking over settlements ravaged by infighting among the locals would save us a fortune in construction, and it is no worse than taking over another Clan’s territory really.”

Ulric nodded. “The boy is clever. Removing the leaders of those enclaves serves as a warning to their peers that we have limited patience with their squabbling. And those that they ravaged are eager for peace and order. So long as we provide that, they will be open to our ways.”

“Twenty thousand have settled in so far and we have four times as many on their way. Enough that some of the enclave leaders back in the homeworlds are complaining about it. The absence was not planned for,” Erik pointed out. “And many of them are young and might have been relied on for decades if they had not volunteered for this.”

“I will speak to them,” Ulric allowed. “We may have to consolidate our territory anyway, so moving workers before that happens could offset the impact.” Tens of thousand workers was not as bad as it seemed, spread across the full extent of Clan Wolf’s holdings back in the homeworlds, but it was exacerbating the problems caused by losing the large and wealthy enclaves on Eden. “We will need their support with the project I want to talk to you about.”

“And what would that be? Rasalhague?”

He shook his head and then leant back against the coolness of the wall behind him. “That is Natasha’s problem and she is waiting for the cached equipment we need for the garrison clusters.”

“It is in the same convoys as my workers and their families,” Erik said. “We would not have them that fast if we were not pulling warships out of mothballs. Founder help us if anyone attacks those ships.”

Now there was a dreadful possibility. All that was being done with the warships was to restore life support, augmented for thousands of passengers, and ensure the jump drives were fit for action. It would be months of work on each of the vessels to make them fit for battle. And crewing them would be quite the problem as well.

“That does relate to what I wanted to talk to you about,” Ulric admitted. “There is a shipyard at Star’s End, or something approaching one at any rate. With the prospect of Inner Sphere warships I think we need to try to get that to a state that it can maintain our fleet. Expand it if possible.”

“Ulric, I saw that yard. I do not think it is fit for more than jumpships. It might be able to service the hulks carrying our people here as far as their current capabilities go, but I would not wager on even that much.”

“Then we need to correct that,” he told his sibkin uncompromisingly. “Find out what workers and tooling is needed and get that in the next convoy. The Inner Sphere is talking about mass producing corvettes - nothing that can stand up to our warships but they would be a nightmare to handle with less. That means we need numbers: restoring our mothballed ships to full function and building more.”

“Are you thinking Fredasas?” The smallest warships used by any Clan, the tiny corvettes were little more than patrol boats but they were also small enough that a jumpship yard might be able to construct them without building entirely new assembly yards.

Ulric reached blindly for his own bag, unzipping it to get at the towel inside. “Unless you have another idea. I do not believe we can afford to wait to develop a new design.”

“Giving the Zeerga five of our warships was unfortunate timing then.”

“I know, but since we could not kill them I had to give them something.” Three of the warships given up had borne the names of Clan Wolf’s ilKhans (no other Clan could boast as many), which might have served as a mark of solidarity if the new Clan hadn’t made it so blindingly obvious that they had no respect at all for their former brethren.

Erik made a disapproving noise as Ulric started drying his face and hair. “If you are running in circles second-guessing yourself then punching a bag is not going to get you anywhere.”

“You have a better idea, quiaff?”

He saw his sibkin turn the question over in his head for a moment before the man nodded. “Aff. Do you have anything scheduled for the rest of the day?”

Ulric picked his comm-unit out of his bag. “I am meeting Jared Ch’in about training more bondsmen for our garrison clusters. We are reaching the limits of -”

Erik cut him off with a sharp gesture. “Delegate it to ‘Tasha. You know he will just fill your ears with complaints about how hard it is to be training warriors rather than leading them into battle. If he has to try to convince her of that, he may think twice about bothering you in future.”

“I think he is more concerned about the lack of reserve in our caches. We are really bringing out the dregs now for garrison work.” Ulric shook his head again. “Aff, aff. I will not belabor the point. What do you suggest we do instead?”

“What we will do,” Erik said grandly, “is dress in clothes that do not give away our status as Clansmen and go to a bar where the staff and guests will pretend to ignore our accents so that they can overcharge us for alcohol.”

“That is your master plan for raising my spirits?”

“It always worked in Katyusha!”

That was inarguably true and Ulric wasn’t going to try to defend the indefensible. “Alright, but we both need a shower first.”

“That goes without saying!” Erik told him, pretending to sniff disgustedly at the sweat-stained Khan of Clan Wolf.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #721 on: 06 April 2024, 03:50:15 »
Interesting developments! :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #722 on: 06 April 2024, 09:05:14 »
Very interesting developments, especially how the Khans trying to managing occupation zones and handling war efforts. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #723 on: 06 April 2024, 11:26:13 »
great update!!

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #724 on: 09 April 2024, 00:58:30 »
Opalescent Reflections

Full House
Chapter 3

Sigulda Plains, Incukalns
Clan Nova Cat Occupation Zone
22 November 3056

The dropship’s hatch swung open, revealing a ramp down from the ‘mech bay deck down to the soil of Incukalns, still smoking from where grass had been burned away by the fusion torch of the Union. Victor marched his Warhammer down the ramp, checking the tactical display as red icons marking the Nova Cats sprang to life on it.

They were too far out for it to be his own sensors picking them up, which meant that the Clan warriors weren’t close enough to engage the landing site. It must be the more powerful sensor suites of the task force’s dropships or aerospace fighters above that were picking up the 449th Assault Cluster.

“So far so good,” Adam Steiner observed on the command channel. The Marshal of the Twelfth Donegal Guards hadn’t been aboard the same dropship. They had come down with an aerospace escort but there was still a risk that the Nova Cats would attack.

“I wouldn’t have been surprised if they’d refused us safe conduct to land,” Victor replied, glancing off to where his distant cousin’s Nightsky was joining up with his command group. “But once they agreed to safcon it would be a major loss of face for them to break that.”

Adam’s voice was gruff. “Not to mention that it would free us to use the Inflexible.” The attack force had been escorted to Incukalns’ orbit by the corvette - which might be small by warship standards but was reassuringly sizeable in comparison to the dropships.

“I’d just as soon we don’t escalate to that sooner than we need to.” As harsh as it was to say it, with so few warships available right now, the corvette might have more strategic value than the entire planet.

Any further conversation was cut off by a warning of “Nova Cat movement!” from one of the hovercraft that had set out to create a perimeter around the landing zone.

Victor wasn’t the only one who snapped his attention to the direction of the enemy but after a moment it became clear that most of the Nova Cat force was still holding back - the aerospace forces circling lazily above them, mechs and elementals hunkered down around the highway that linked the high plains to the lower coastal regions. Only a single Star was advancing towards the dropzone.

“Are they trying to contact us?” Victor asked.

“Not yet,” the commtech aboard Adam’s command ship said - the HQ vans had yet to disembark, since they could do their work perfectly well from aboard and it would save time if they had to withdraw hastily. “Wait, no - there’s a request from Star Colonel Thaddeus Nostra to speak to Marshal Adam of House Steiner and Kommandant-General Victor of House Steiner.”

“Well that’s almost my name, and the Star Colonel did get our ranks right,” he said wryly. “Sir.”

His cousin was silent for a moment. “Both command lances. We’ll meet them in kind, but with eight to five we should be alright if this turns into a fight. Comms, tell the Star Colonel we’ll meet him three klicks out from our dropships, at the edge of our perimeter.”

Victor signaled for his lance to fall in and they converged with Adam’s before the eight ‘mechs turned to march towards the oncoming Nova Cats. There was a mismatch between the two lances - Victor’s was made up of heavyweight designs that worked well with his Warhammer while Adam had assigned ‘mechs able to keep pace with his agile Nightsky.

The Nova Cats seemed to skew somewhat closer to Victor’s lance - he recognised a pair of Mad Dogs in the command star, but they flanked a Warhawk, an Executioner and a Kingfisher - all assault ‘mechs. Of course, the Cluster’s designation did suggest that they skewed towards heavier ‘mechs.

The Warhawk took the lead and came to a halt half a kilometer ahead of the mark. “Marshal Adam, Kommandant-General Victor,” a voice boomed from the ‘mech’s loudspeakers. “I am Star Colonel Thaddeus Nostra and I have granted you safcon to land on Incukalns. It is now for you to offer challenge.”

Victor had rehearsed this with Adam, drawing on interviews with captured Clan warriors. Neither had been entirely sure that this would become necessary but both agreed that it was better to be prepared, and their sources said that the Clans were not minimalists when it came to chewing on the scenery in a challenge.

The Marshal rose to the occasion. “I am Adam Steiner and the blood of Archons flows through my veins. I lead the Twelfth Donegal Guards, who fought the Jade Falcons without surcease upon Trellwan without thought of surrender or defeat, who returned from the grave to defeat them again on Coventry. We have come here to take Incukalns back under the fist and sunburst of the Federated Commonwealth.” His Nightsky raised its hatchet high. “Who dares to stand in our path?!”

“The deeds of the Twelfth Donegal Guards indeed stand tall, though I will not claim that they overshadow the history of the 449th Assault Cluster,” Nostra answered, spreading the arms of his Warhawk wide. “Nor is your name unknown to us, though if you think we are as easy prey as the Jade Falcons then our claws will not relinquish Incukalns to you. I will lead the defense in person, and I have bid three trinaries of my finest mechwarriors for this trial.”

Victor exhaled. That was ambitious - they didn’t have the entire Twelfth Guards here, just the ‘mech regiment and a mixed brigade of armor, infantry and supporting arms. Seven years ago the idea of someone withholding part of their force would have smacked of arrogance… but that was before the Clans swept across almost a third of the Inner Sphere. It might seem mad, but it clearly worked.

“A brave bid,” Adam answered. “I shall allow my subordinate officers to bid for their right to crush you.” That was what a Clan would do but it was just an excuse for Adam, Victor and the staff to adjust their plan.

“Forty-five of their omnimechs against all of us? We could use everything and crush them easily,” Leon Bradford recommended. The commander of Adam’s first ‘mech battalion was generally an advocate of using as much force as possible to end a battle swiftly.

The RCT’s operations officer cleared his throat. “That may not be the best move,” he said from where his Centurion was covering Adam’s flank. “We’ve played by Clan rules so far. If we break them, they may not feel bound and you know how deadly that can be.”

“We can’t base our strategy on hoping the enemy holds back. Besides, they might think we’re honoring their furry little heads by bringing a full brigade against that few of them!”

“Might,” Victor cut in. “We can’t base things off that either. ‘Doc’s got a point - they’re sticking to their rules and while the Nova Cat’s aren’t the Jade Falcons, we know they take their customs seriously. We have a simple mission here, we shouldn’t complicate it by insulting them if we don’t need to.”

“What do you suggest, Trevana?” asked Adam. “Combined arms is our strength - I’d rather give up numbers than lose our air cover and artillery.”

“According you our last intel they have five trinaries in their cluster,” Caradoc ‘Doc’ Trevana mused. “They’re offering to fight with fifty or sixty percent of their forces, that suggests we shouldn’t take that much more by proportion. Maybe seventy percent.”

“It’s crazy,” Bradford grumbled. “‘Doc, I get what you’re saying but leaving a third of our forces sidelined is going to leave us with casualties we could avoid.”

“More of a reserve,” Angie Graves corrected. “I’d say hold back my infantry -” Colonel Graves led the infantry regiment brought for this operation. “- and the aerospace. We may need the air cover later, if they’re buying time for one of their warships to get here.”

That was a valid concern, but Victor was fairly sure the Nova Cats wouldn’t even bother with bidding if that was their plan. Very few Clans did - you were either an honorable foe to be dealt with under their honor code or you were not, with no middle ground. Since Nostra was treating them with honor, by his… by his own code.

“Victor?”

He realized he must have said something, because the conversation had cut short. “He’s testing us.”

“What do you mean?” Adam asked.

“We came here using their rules. Nostra is trying to find out if we’ll keep doing that.”

“Right up until it’s to our advantage not to,” said Graves cynically.

“No, he’s right.” Trevana’s Centurion shifted slightly, reflecting the officer’s reaction. “And it’s not just that we’re using their rules, we’re doing so wearing the Cameron Star!”

Victor’s gaze flickered to the markings added to all of their ‘mechs. Every unit along the entire border with the Clans, both AFFC and DCMS, had been ordered to add that emblem to their heraldry in preparation for the counter-offensive. “It’s almost sacred to them. If we honor that, by treating it with what they see as respect… that’s huge.”

“I don’t most of the Clans will see it that way,” Trevana admitted.

Adam’s Nightsky turned slightly. “If it means even one Clan breaks ranks and starts engaging with us directly then it could be huge. But it doesn’t solve our immediate issue. What do we take against them.”

Victor looked at the five Nova Cat ‘mechs. “We don’t match their numbers,” he decided. “That would be throwing this away. Try… seventy-five ‘mechs. That’s symbolic, five of us for every three of them.”

“Cutting it fine,” Adam warned. “Ninety, two to one? You mean to just use ‘mechs?”

“Mechs and Clan rules of engagement, sort of,” Victor told him and then outlined what he had in mind as a tactic.

There was a hiss from Bradford. “That could leave a lot of our mechwarriors in their hands even if we win, your highness.”

“Not if we use their rules correctly,” Trevana disagreed. “We’ll have to win though. And seventy five is about right, Marshal. If we use ninety then we’re clearly using a higher proportion of our forces than they are. That’s the wrong message.”

“The only message I want to send them is a bullet with their name on.” Bradford grumbled. “Nondi Steiner will have our asses for this if it doesn’t work.”

“Then we’ll have to make it work,” Adam decided. “Can your battalion pull this off, Leon?”

“Who do you think we are, the Regulars? We can do this, however dumb an idea it is. You’d just better be right.”

“First and Third then,” Adam decided. “I want an intact battalion in reserve so three more out of the command lances.”

“It’s my idea, Adam,” Victor told him.

“...well, since your great-aunt will be sharpening an axe for me anyway…” the Marshal allowed. “And your Warhammer is more the weight we want to use anyway.”

“I’ll go too, sir,” offered ‘Doc. “Put my money where my mouth is.”

While Adam relayed the bid to the Nova Cats and negotiated the field of battle - ‘Circle of Equals’ in Clan parlance - there was a quick argument among Victor’s lance over who would be fighting alongside him. He wasn’t consulted on the matter and they all let their let their Skye accents slip out with increasingly loud reasons to be the one going, until suddenly agreement was reached and all animosity vanished. Victor wasn’t sure why the three had declined to join the Seventeenth Skye Rangers when it was reformed, but he was rather glad they had chosen to stick with him.

“So why did you get to come with me?” he asked Matti, as she chivvied Caradoc into positioning his Centurion next to her Thunderbolt.

“A Rifleman isn’t built for this sort of brawl,” she told him, “Juni’ was only offering for the form of it. An’ I told Rudi it’d be ungentlemanly to expect me to face Nondi Steiner if’n you don’t make it through this.”

“Well, I’ll try not to put you through that.”

“Oh, if we survive she’ll make us all regret it,” the woman said briskly. “No helping it.”

“I’d say they’re not always like this but I’d be lying,” Victor said to Caradoc. The Nova Cat’s bid forces were moving towards them now. Adam had agreed to fight on the plains, a rough circle being marked out with beacons provided by the Nova Cats. Any ‘mech leaving the line would be deemed defeated - although with more than a hundred ‘mechs inside the circle, it had to be large enough that a mechwarrior would be hard-pressed to leave by accident.

“My condolences, sir,” he said tightly as the ‘mechs on both sides crossed into the circle, forming rough lines facing each other although kilometers still divided them.

Victor tilted his head slightly at the time. “Are you alright?”

“First battle nerves. I wasn’t on Coventry.”

“...could you not have told us when there was still time to bring Rudi?” Matti asked plaintively…

And then a lone Nova Cat ‘mech outside the circle raised its arm and fired a PPC across the sky. The flare of energy was matched a moment later by a Donegal Guard Manticore on the far side and that signaled the start of the… could Victor even call this a battle? It was more like a bloodsport… perhaps the Clan word fit better: it was a trial.

The two formations lunged at each other. The plains weren’t entirely flat, but there were few obstacles and, for ‘mechs that towered ten meters tall on average, most of those that existed were fairly trivial. The Nova Cats were spreading out, each star fanning out into a single line. In contrast, the Donegal Guards remained in tight lances, in each case two lances focusing in on a single star. Eight on five.

With the excellence of Clan warriors, trained from birth and equipped with the best military technology ever invented, those numbers might not as advantageous as Victor could wish for… but the Guards were, for the most part, veterans and their ‘mechs were almost all new designs or upgrades on older ones.

Victor’s little wedge of three didn’t quite fit into the formation, they were near the right end of the FedCom line and he thumbed secondary controls on each joystick, feeling the rumble of his reactor and a subtle rise in heat as his PPCs went live. They’d been upgraded again since Coventry and Clovis Holstein had waxed lyrical about the improvements. Now they would be put to the test.

“Second star from their left flank,” he pointed out, using the local net that would only carry his words to the lances flanking him to the left and right. “Hellbringer and Gargoyle - I have the ‘bringer, Matti you take the Gargoyle. ‘Doc, you’re cleaning up. Everyone knows the plan.”

“Sir, are we clear to make physical attacks?”

Victor winced. He hadn’t considered that particular twist on Clan expectations. They didn’t approve of such attacks… but it was perfectly normal for his own mechwarriors to use them if the opportunity presented itself. On the other hand, he was already putting them at a lot of risk. “We’re dangerous,” he decided. “Let them know it.”

There were several approving chuckles on the channel and then there was no more time.

Victor dropped his crosshairs over the Hellbringer. While he wasn’t really inside effective range, that didn’t really matter - he fired one PPC and missed. What mattered wasn’t hitting though, what mattered was that the Hellbringer was now ‘his’ target and under the honor code of the Clans it must now fight him and only him. Around him, other mechwarriors were doing the same: taking the initiative to pick their opponents out and dictating who would fight who.

The Hellbringer fired back, the Nova Cat sure enough of his range advantage to slow the ‘mech to steady himself and fire back with both PPCs from a stable firing position. One of the PPCs missed and Victor turned to one side, not quite managing to avoid the other one. His electronics flickered as the shot crashed against the left side of his Warhammer’s torso and blasted deep into the armor plating.

It didn’t quite penetrate… and the instant before the shot hit, he had triggered his own return shot from the left arm’s PPC. His ‘mech didn’t mount the older Donal PPC that had marked the Warhammer for centuries. Both had been replaced with salvaged Clan models, rebuilt by Clovis Holstein with capacitors based on those used in Gauss Rifles.

They were slower to charge when those capacitors were active; and they ran far hotter, something that the slower rate of fire didn’t entirely off-set.

But they hit with unprecedented force and the Nova Cat’s assumption of a narrow range advantage let Victor aim almost perfectly. The bolt of charged particles missed the cockpit by less than a meter, tearing into the bulked out right torso, just below the missile launcher.

Barring extraordinary fortune, a standard PPC - or even the more impressive Clan models - wouldn’t have been assured of a penetration. The Hellbringer’s armor was thinner than that of Warhammer even without the reinforcement that Victor benefited from, but the designers had realized that it was going to have to survive a hit from a Gauss Rifle or an extended range PPC.

They hadn’t designed it to survive a hit from what Clovis Holstein had called ‘the most powerful directed energy weapon ever mounted on a ‘mech’.

The charged particles blew through every protection and speared into the ammunition stores that fed both missile launchers and machine guns. While the cellular storage systems vented the secondary detonations as intended, sparing the core of the Hellbringer, they couldn’t spare the weapons, the reactor shielding or the control runs to the omnimech’s right arm.

Only the fact that the mechwarrior had slowed for their own shots let them avoid a fall, but the Nova Cat was stripped of half his armament and the infra-red bloom marked reactor damage.

To the credit of the mechwarrior, they kept coming and Victor was rocked again by a second hit that crashed against his Warhammer, blocking it with his left arm to protect the damaged side of his ‘mech. Again, his armor could take the hit.

Then his right arm’s PPC had fully recharged and the next shot plowed into the center of mass for the Hellbringer. Most ‘mechs could have taken that hit and kept fighting but that wasn’t the case here.

“Blake’s blood,” Trevana whispered over the comms as the Hellbringer blew up, a trail of fire marking the mechwarrior’s ejection.

Freed of his immediate concerns, Victor looked around. Few ‘mechs were falling yet on either side, giving him precious moments to let his PPCs recharge and the temperature gauge to drop. Just a few instants of combat had left him sweating.

The Donegal Guards weren’t fighting to kill, they were going for crippling shots, aiming to open up holes. A Timber Wolf brought down a Zeus from the lance to Victor’s left, but its paint had been torn away marking where armor had been weakened, but not penetrated across the left side. The omnimech’s right arm was a wreck, marking where a gauss rifle had been wrecked.

Undaunted by the damage, the bird-like omnimech wheeled towards Victor, shielding its left flank as the Nova Cat tried to target his own damaged left side.

Before the ‘mech could fire, Trevana’s Centurion darted in, moving even faster than the Timber Wolf and tearing open the damaged side of the cylindrical torso with its autocannon. A moment later a volley of LRMs slashed in to strike at the heavier’ mech.

The Nova Cat still had a weight advantage but with the loss of its gauss rifle, there wasn’t much difference in armament and it had already been damaged. The mechwarrior twisted away, trying to prevent the more agile Centurion from bringing its weapons to bear on the open sides - cluster rounds from the LB 10-X in the lighter ‘mech’s right arm could create havoc with such an vulnerability.

Victor checked for an open opponent, sweeping his gaze past a Gargoyle that was back-pedaling, trying to keep an Axman from closing in but unable to deliver a killing blow.

Matti had managed to finish off her own Gargoyle but her Thunderbolt was blackened almost from head to tow, the missile launcher a wreck and the left arm missing entirely as a Kingfisher pummelled her.

The assault ‘mech had taken a pounding from a previous opponent but Matti was struggling to exploit it - the Kingfisher was nothing like the lighter Hellbringer, it was layered in thick armor plating and her lasers hadn’t managed to force a penetration.

“Punch out, Matti. You can’t take much more of this,” Victor warned.

“I’m s’pposed to be guarding you, Victor!” she spat back. “I’ll keep this ‘un busy.”

“Like hell you will,” he snapped as the Kingfisher’s autocannon blazed, ripping open the front of the Thunderbolt. “Stick to the plan, and don’t make me apologize to Rudi!”

A gaelic curse came back at him across the command net and a moment later the Thunderbolt’s canopy erupted open and threw the mechwarrior up and into the sky. A split second later the Kingfisher’s finishing blow landed, a PPC shot that cored through the front of the heavy ‘mech and blew parts of the gyro out of its rear.

Seeing it’s victim dead, the Kingfisher turned in search of a new foe and Victor could almost see the mechwarrior’s shock as it saw him already lining up both PPCs.

“Hi there,” he breathed and triggered both weapons as the crosshairs hovered over the center of mass.

A wave of heat washed over Victor and he reached for the reactor override on reflex before realizing that the heatsinks were already dragging the temperature back down to safe levels. He’d been firing from near ideal conditions and had only orange-lined the ‘mech, not reaching the levels when the reactor safeties would try to shut him down.

A second such salvo would have done that, but the Kingfisher had taken both shots to the chest and however tough it was, the impact of the shots had not only carved open the armor, it had overloaded electronics briefly and left mechwarrior and gyro unable to keep the ninety-ton ‘mech upright. The assault ‘mech crashed over onto its back and Victor stalked closer, seeing the charging meters for the PPCs rise slowly. He could have fired them without waiting for a full charge, but Holstein had admitted that that part of the design was ‘fiddly’ which he took to mean that it was a last resort.

Instead he lowered his sights over the Nova Cat ‘mech and triggered his secondaries. Pulses of coherent light from the lasers carved the hole in the front of the ‘mech and he saw the PPC mount detonate. Six SRMs exploded out of the missile launcher and hammered less precisely into the Kingfisher, cratering its remaining armor but still it struggled to stand.

Pushing the Warhammer harder, Victor closed in and then slammed one of its broad feet down on the chest of the Kingfisher, feeling components grind and break under the impact. Lowering one PPC to aim down at the cockpit, he could see the pale face and wide eyes of the mechwarrior inside. “Be smart,” he demanded, using his loudspeakers.

With a resigned look, the Nova Cat reached for what was evidently the reactor controls and a moment later the temperature of the fallen ‘mech nosediveed, indicating that the power was off. The woman inside started working to remove her neurohelmet in surrender.

Victor took a moment to look at the wider tactical situation. The plains, which only minutes ago had been populated by lines of pristine battlemechs were now a charnel yard of broken machines. Over a dozen surrounded just his vicinity and the tac display showed barely half the blue and red icons that had once been visible. Off the cuff, he reckoned little more than a dozen Nova Cats ‘mechs still stood, facing perhaps twice their number of Donegal Guards.

“Stick to zellbrigen!” he barked as he saw a Lyran Hippogriff open up on a battered Warhawk just as Trevana’s Centrion tried to line up his own shot.

The ops officer pulled back and a moment later, the Warhawk brought both arms to bear and discharged four PPCs in turn into the Hippogriff. The medium ‘mech was fresh and hardly a soft target but that was more firepower than Victor had employed against much larger ‘mechs. Fifty-five tons of battlemech was outlined by the flaring electromagnetic bolts and then dropped to its knees, the cockpit a blasted ruin and much of the chest no better.

For a moment, Victor saw another ‘mech like it but in the colors of the Third Davion Guards. The product of eye flare perhaps but it moved him to stab his finger onto the general broadcast control. “Star Colonel Nostra!” he called. “I offer you hegira!”

The Warhawk was steaming, clearly on the brink of shut-down after that fusillade. It still moved its weapons to track Trevana’s Centurion, as it tried to get around and out of the arc of fire. A moment after Victor’s words, the assault ‘mech abruptly lowered its arms, pointing all four weapons towards the ground. “Kommandant-General, I accept,” the Nova Cat’s voice boomed. “All Nova Cats, cease fire!”

“Cease fire!” Victor added his voice. “Donegal Guards, stand down! We have won!”

For a moment he thought that the mechwarriors might not heed them but discipline held - battered Nova Cats backed away, weapons aimed deliberately away from the blackened and no less savaged Donegal Guards, who began to shuffle back into something approaching their initial lance deployments, watching the Clan ‘mechs warily as heat dissipated.

“Star Colonel Nostra.” Adam’s voice was cool and collected - he hadn’t been fighting, which Victor suspected was harder on his cousin than being in the thick of it. “Do I understand correctly that you accept defeat.”

“Aff,” the Star Colonel’s voice was wearier than his earlier acceptance, perhaps no longer feeling the adrenaline of the battle. “Your Kommandant-General has offered hegira and I accept it. We cede the battlefield and the prize of this world.”

“It is my understanding that under hegira, neither side may claim bondsmen?” Adam queried.

“You understand correctly, Marshal. With your permission, I will withdraw my warriors and the civilian governors we brought with us to our dropships. It may take several days before a jumpship is available to carry us back to another occupied world.”

“That is acceptable. I will call in our own recovery and medical teams for all of our warriors,” Adam offered. “Any of your warriors not able to travel with you will be offered our protection and care until they can.”

Nostra grunted. “That would be appreciated. I am pleased to see that those wearing the Star League’s banner live up to it.”

“Don’t expect us to always operate under your code,” Adam warned.

“Let me tell you a… well, it is not a secret,” the Nova Cat told them. “There is no Clan, and few warriors, who cannot be pushed to the point of breaking zellbrigen or even the abandoning the martial code entirely. But not every conflict need be fought to annihilation. It was to our advantage to hold onto Incukalns, but losing it is not a disaster for us. I know that some of your people believe we mistake our trials for war, but that is not true. It is an alternative to war, one that allows us to settle our differences without undue cost. No more and no less.”

“We are at war though,” Victor pointed out.

“We are in conflict,” the Nova Cat disagreed mildly. “We each have choices in how that is resolved. Some of those choices lead to trials like this, others to horrors like the Amaris Civil War.” The Warhawk was no longer immobile with heat and he slowly began to back-pedal towards his own forces. “There are those amongst my Clan - and others - who believe that our conflict with you must end in annihilation. What you have done today suggests otherwise.”

Victor watched the Nova Cats leave the circle, ‘mechs striding - or limping - towards the rest of the Cluster. Utility vehicles were already streaming from the dropships to recover ejected mechwarriors or those trapped within their cockpits.

“What do you make of that?” Adam asked him by private channel. “It sounded significant.”

“I think it was,” he replied. “The Clans have never reached out to us diplomatically on our terms, but they’d probably find that as confusing as we found their first batchalls. Maybe this is the Nova Cats trying to open negotiations. Our report is probably going to be read by everyone on the Star League Council. Try not to make any spelling mistakes.”
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #725 on: 09 April 2024, 00:58:56 »
Yamashiro, New Samarkand
Diamond Shark Dominion
6 December 3056

There were many things that Ace Enders accepted that he didn’t understand, some more important than others. While it wasn’t one of the things that kept him up at night, he did have a historian right with him, so he took the chance to ask: “This thing is seven hundred years old. Why is it basically identical to what’s being used right now? I could have sworn there was supposed to be some degree of technological progress.”

Ellison Enders leant on the railing, looking over at Coordinator Shiro Kurita’s Sabre aerospace fighter from the early twenty-fourth century. “How many history lessons did you get in the sibko?”

Ace frowned and absently used his fingers to calculate. “Once a week for… six months. So, twenty-five.”

“Was that a joke? Please tell me you were joking?”

“I was literally raised in a bandit camp until I was nineteen,” Ace pointed out. “My education was a little erratic.”

The older mechwarrior threw his head back and laughed. “You are a barbarian!”

“A true barbarian would not be trying to improve himself. So?” He waved his hand at the fighter suspended from the ceiling.

“There are a large number of incremental improvements between this and the type of fighters we see today, at least when it comes to variants of a Sabre,” the Goliath Scorpion lectured. “And even those are generally downgrades from those used by the Star League. Technological development is not a flat line, it is highly erratic. At times there can be fundamental breakthroughs but at others there may be generations where all we can do is refine what we have because we are fully exploiting our current understanding of the universe.”

Ellison rubbed his chin with one hand. “And it is not quite what we are seeing these days. Maybe back when you were overrunning half the Outworlds that was all they had, but my pilots were running into more advanced fighters - Corsair ComStar variants, the Cor-Star they call it.”

“In ComStar hands?” Ace asked, brow furrowing. He had heard of the fighter, though he had no personal experience of it.

“No, flown by the Alliance Military Corps.”

The Galaxy Commander smacked his fist against the rail. “ComStar must be selling armaments to everyone facing us. First the Hippogriff and now this.”

“It is no secret that all of the invading clans are installing their own HPGs to remove any dependence on them,” Ellison pointed out. “It does not take a genius to work out that after that point we have little need to tolerate their enclaves.”

“So besides the enemies outside our territory we have another that is operating within the dominion. Wonderful,” he said sarcastically. “I need to talk to Abigail Enders again. We need more data about the Inner Sphere.”

“I do not think you are worried enough,” the Seeker told him wryly. “Those fighters did not just use Alliance markings, they also bore the Cameron Star.”

“The Star League symbol.” Ace ran his hand through his hair. “If they are reviving that…” Then he laughed, bitterly. “The Crusaders wanted the invasion to rebuild the Star League. It seems they have accomplished that mission.”

“Worse than that. The Outworlds Alliance was not a willing member of the Star League. But now they are choosing to identify with it.”

“Stop trying to cheer me up, Ellison.” Ace was fairly confident of the analysis that Abigail Enders had shared with him of the Combine’s strength, which suggested a minimum of three years before they replenished their strength to where it had been before the push on New Samarkand. Even if they received supplies from the other Successor States, it would take them time to train up more soldiers. But if active combat troops from realms that hadn’t been contacted yet were committed then that equation changed.

The older member of the bloodhouse chuckled. “Think how happy the younger warriors will have a chance to earn glory in battle.”

“When did I stop counting as a younger warrior?”

“About the time you turned thirty.”

Ace raised one hand with three fingers raised.

“What’s that mean?”

“I will be twenty-nine for three more days.”

Ellison laughed again, turning his back on the fighter and leaning back on the rail. “Then I suppose that you should be excited at getting the chance to earn glory.”

I want victory, not glory. Ace made a rude gesture at Ellison.

The Goliath Scorpion reached into his pocket and pulled out a coin. “So I have a question for you. What the stang is this?”

Ace extended his hand and Ellison tossed the coin to him. Turning it over in his hand, the mechwarrior read the surface of the coin and then threw it back. “It is a half-Damon.”

“So if I get two of them, is it a full damon, whatever that is?”

“Heh. Yes, that is exactly how it works. It is a coin, Ellison. Surely you must have seen one before.”

“I have seen kerenskys before. But this is not a kerensky, it looks a little like one.” The other man dropped him back in his pocket. “The currency of all the Clans is standardized, that is a requirement of the martial code. Why is your Clan minting its own currency, named for one of your past khans?”

“An interim measure,” Ace told him. “We cannot keep paying workers with House Kurita’s currency, and if we do not pay them then the entire economy will grind to a halt.”

“As loathe as I am to question a Diamond Shark about anything economic,” the graying warrior observed, “You are an ill-educated idiot, so why not just pay them with kerenskys? The money that we already have?”

He chuckled. “This is exactly the question that was asked in the Clan Council. Apparently most of the civilians are dubious about kerenskys because they expire if they are not used.”

Ellison tilted his head. “Can they not just spend them? Is that not what money is for?”

“Apparently not. Some people hoard it.”

“For… what exactly?” asked the old warrior, pulling the coin from his pocket. “It is not very pretty, and even in a collection why would you want more than one?”

“To spend them later. If, for example, due to age or the absence of employment, you have no income.”

“But the Clan would find them work,” Ellison pointed out. “Even if they…”

Ace shook his head. “House Kurita did not do that and very few people believe we will. The idea is that once they have the idea that they do not actually save money that we replace the damon with kerenskys. A full damon coin looks a lot more like a kerensky.”

“Your merchants came up with the idea, quiaff?” accused the Goliath Scorpion.

“Of course. Why would our warriors try to come up with a plan for the economy when we have merchants who know what they are doing?”

“What else would I expect from a Clan that changes its name. And now you want to turn it back?”

“It is a little more complicated than that. The name is only part of the issue, it is to do with our visions for the Clan’s future. Those of us who feel we should adapt to our circumstances are rallying under the name of the Sea Fox.”

“So this is how it is to be present where history is made,” Ellison concluded merrily. “How exhilarating!”

Acomb, British Isles
Terra, Sol System
19 December 3056

“Is there some reason we’re meeting here?” Tiger Lily asked as she walked towards the restaurant table.

Wei Rong raised a wine glass in greeting. “It’s convenient for Sandhurst.”

“That is in fact a lie,” the Precentor Martial criticized from where he was sitting across from her, a tumbler of whiskey in one hand. Wearing a civilian suit with his long hair tied back in a ponytail, the one-eyed man looked like the villain of a holovid - in fact, a waitress had already asked if he was an actor. “We are over four hundred kilometers from Sandhurst.”

“That’s much closer than Hilton Head.”

“We could take a shuttle from Sandhurst and be in Hilton Head in under an hour. It took two hours by helicopter to get here.”

Wei chuckled. “Alright.” She sipped from her wine. “No one will expect to find us here, I’m fairly sure that there are no spies from any of the Great Houses here.”

Precentor Atreus looked around the converted pre-industrial farmhouse. “I can see why. Please tell me the kitchen is good?”

“I’d recommend the steak,” Wei told her. “The beef around here is excellent.”

The door opened and the last of her guests entered the restaurant, speaking briefly to a waiter before being pointed to Wei’s table. “With all due respect,” Andrew Norris told her in a tone that made it clear he wasn’t feeling respectful, “Why here?”

“Security reasons,” she replied. “Take a seat.”

Raising her hand, Wei called over a waitress and after a brief conversation everyone agreed on ordering the rump steak. A moment later and the waitress was back with Norris’ beer and Tiger Lily’s wine.

“What’s so sensitive that we can’t talk in Hilton Head?” Precentor Pesht asked after he’d taken a long drink from the pint glass.

Wei opened her mouth to reply but Focht spoke first. “The Primus takes every chance to escape her office, this isn’t the worst place she’s set up a meeting.”

“The Star League Council is finalizing objectives for the counter-offensive,” Wei said quietly. “The First Circuit voted in principle to participate but we are out of time to debate exactly what our part of this will be. I believe that the three of us have enough influence that whatever we agree will have the support of the majority of the First Circuit… and Anastasius is the best placed to advise us.” Tiger Lily lead the Terra-centric precentors and between Focht and Norris the militants would be on side. Combined with her own admirers, that came to around two-thirds of the First Circuit - the religious extremes made up much of the rest but Wei would be damned before she tried to bring Buckley in for this conversation.

Tiger Lily examined the contents of her wine glass as if the secrets of the universe were contained within. “So you are as concerned about spies from our own people as from the Great Houses.”

Wei tried not to let her face reveal how close that was. “Our spies answer to me, via DRUM. What I want is to avoid is spending weeks or months arguing via proxy. If we can come to an agreement and convince our political allies then ComStar is not the one slowing down the entirety of the counter-offensive.”

“That might have been easier to avoid with a smaller First Circuit,” the other woman murmured.

“The irony is not lost on me.”

Norris leant back in his seat. “My last information was that the Council had agreed that they need a commanding general to provide a single chain of command over all the operations being carried out.”

“They have elected such a commanding general,” Wei told him. “Taking a page from the history of the Free Worlds League, Precentor-Martial Focht will serve for a maximum of two years in the position before handing over to whoever is elected as his replacement.”

“It seems entirely probable that fighting will still be ongoing by then,” Norris warned.

Wei sighed. “I know. It was a compromise.”

“Quite honestly, two years of coordinating such extensive operations will be… exhausting,” Focht observed. “And I am not a young man. I imagine I will be quite ready to hand over the responsibility to someone else.”

“You said we need to decide quickly,” Tiger Lily said and sipped from her glass. “Oh dear, this was a mistake.”

“Order something else,” Wei told her.

“That is not done,” the precentor observed and sipped again. “Should I take it that military operations will be beginning in the next few months.”

Focht shook his head. “It will take at least a year to move the jumpships, supplies and troops into position. The distances are considerable and depending on our commitment, we may need to start making the moves almost immediately.”

Wei leant forwards. “One of the planned operations is a ‘demonstration’ raid against the Clan homeworlds. It will take a year for the task force to reach the right region of space and the thinking is that the attack should take place at approximately the same time as the other operations so they will need to assemble and depart within the next month.”

“I am glad that they are making use of Kapten Miraborg’s data,” Tiger Lily said thoughtfully, setting her glass down. “Not to mention the Explorer Corps’ work… but such an attack may be provocative.”

“What are they going to do?” asked Norris sarcastically. “Invade the Inner Sphere? I think we are a little bit past that point.”

“By my understanding, more than half of the Clans haven’t joined the invasion so far,” she countered. “Do we really want to see that change?”

Focht ran one finger about the rim of his empty glass. “We have no guarantee that we will not have to face that anyway. Interrogation of captured Clan warriors makes it clear that the majority of the Clans actively competed for the right to join the invasion. Their original plan only involved five Clans’ participation and the involvement of seven was the result of pressure to expand that number.”

“Their invasion ultimately halted for lack of forces,” Wei reminded them. She refilled her own wine glass. “If I were in the shoes of a Clan Khan wishing to lead a renewed invasion - and we know that there are such men and women - then inviting more Clans to invade would be an obvious course of action. With that as a case…”

Tiger Lily nodded in understanding. “Alright, that is less of a concern. But we should still try to avoid provoking those Clans.”

“Of course,” the Primus agreed. “In the best case, Task Force Topaz will find Huntress. Our best information is that the world is almost entirely under the control of Clan Smoke Jaguar, with some possibility that Clan Jade Jade Falcon shares it with them. That may have changed since then but I don’t think that striking at either of those Clans will be considered excessive so long as there are no atrocities.”

“There will be considerable temptation,” Norris noted. “The Kungsarme have offered their Flying Drakons to join the attack and they were in the air over Reykjavik when it was destroyed.”

Focht grimaced. “For that reason we want to exercise tight control over any weapons of mass destruction involved. Nuclear armaments to engage warships must be taken as a contingency and General Mansdottir has confirmed that at least some of Rasalhague’s strategic arsenal was evacuated before the Republic’s conquest. Rather than have them bring their own, I want approval to have the ComGuards provide all of the warships for Topaz. If the Flying Drakons are staging from our ships we should be able to control what weapons they have access to and reserve them for cases where they are needed.”

“How many of our warships would this be?”

“I’m proposing to send our Second Destroyer Squadron,” the Precentor Martial informed her. “It’s made up of six Lola-class destroyers. Their fighter bays would be sufficient to carry all thirty-six fighters of the Flying Drakons and they have no dropship collars for carrier dropships.”

“Wouldn’t that limit their supplies?” asked Norris.

“The cargo bays are extensive,” Wei replied. “Between them, the destroyers can carry over six hundred thousand tons of supplies. Unloading them via shuttles would be time-consuming, but it’s enough to cover for a lot of contingencies.”

The ex-ComGuard glanced over at Focht. “Who else will be sent?”

“Thomas Marik has formed a new regiment of volunteers, the Knights of the Inner Sphere. Two battalions come from the FWLM while the others are mercenaries and even defectors from other realms. The Captain-General recruited them to be a chivalric order as much as a military force.”

Wei had a nasty feeling that it would go astray in time, but probably not in the first generation. “A unit of idealists may be suitable as a moral restraint and he was quite enthusiastic about sending them. The bulk of the fighting forces will be a full RCT from the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth.”

“I suppose they can spare such a large unit for over two years, assuming they make it back at all,” Norris grumbled.

“Indeed. The Capellans and the Periphery realms were uninterested in contributing forces, but there will also be two battalions of battle armor from the DCMS, added to one with the regimental combat team. We expect a final decision on which RCT will be sent within the next few days, but it will most likely be one of the Davion Guard units.”

“That’s still quite a small force to strike at the Clan homeworlds,” Tiger Lily said thoughtfully.

“It’s a raid, not an invasion. Enough, we hope, that the Clans will concern themselves with defending their homeworlds rather than reinforcing their Inner Sphere holdings. We cannot hope to hold territory that far from the Inner Sphere,” the Precentor Martial warned. “There is considerable public pressure to hit back but we must be realistic.”

“And if Huntress is not found? My understanding is that the Clan capital system is close to it.”

“If we can’t locate Huntress, then Strana Mechty is unlikely to be found, they are within a single jump of each other.” Wei could imagine what a disaster an attack on what was apparently considered near sacred territory to the Clans would turn into. “In any case, Strana Mechty is off limits - if anything would send the Clans berserk it would be attacking them there. They don’t even fight over territory on their capital amongst themselves; but all the Clans have a presence, so it must be far too heavily defended.”

“Indeed,” Focht confirmed. “If they don’t find Huntress then any other enclave of the invaders would be a viable alternative. There will be discretion to negotiate with other Clans for navigational data if no other option is available, if the commander feels that they will abide by a trial of possession of such information. However, if we cannot find anything then it is better to withdraw intact. One consideration of sending such a small force is that it would cost us little even if nothing is accomplished.”

“Except it’s a large portion of our fleet.”

“Six destroyers from a fleet of forty-four,” Wei reminded Tiger Lily. “We will be completing four new ships before Task Force Topaz can repair, and if necessary we can re-activate the seven destroyers still in mothballs. I don’t like the expense of this but it’s an option.”

“What other warships will we commit?” the other woman asked cautiously.

“That’s in discussion, but the need to keep warships around Terra is something we’ve made clear. The squadron of cruisers in our orbitals and another covering Titan is the bare minimum,” Focht assured her. “My initial thinking is to commit two further destroyer squadrons to the counter-offensives, with our battlecruisers and corvettes held back with the strategic reserve.”

“If you sign off on restoration work for the other destroyers then I can accept that,” Tiger Lily said at last.

At that moment, the waitress approached with the first plates and Wei was glad of the excuse not to reply immediately. Soon plates with steaks, fries and salad were laid out, along with serving dishes of peppercorn sauce and other condiments.

Wei poured out some of the sauce onto the plate and was amused to see Focht eschew it, cutting open his rare steak before sniffing approvingly. “I was wondering if they were raising the cow from birth,” he muttered once the waitress had gone. The soldier cut a slice off the steak and chewed happily on it.

“If you are willing to work with me on convincing Phi of the financing then I’ll approve the restoration and upgrade of the Naga and Baron hulls,” Wei told Tiger Lily. “Precentor Zwick had design work done in case we needed it, but we will need a wartime budget.”

“What is it the Clans say? Bargained well and done?” Tiger Lily dipped a fry in the sauce and tasted it. Her eyes widened slightly. “Alright, this is worth the distance to get here.” She put the rest of the fry in her mouth and chewed. “I’ll order some better wine and we can toast to our hopes for Topaz.”

“There is another concern,” Wei told the Precentor before she could signal to the waitress currently tending to one of the handful of other occupied tables.

“Oh?” asked Tiger Lily.

“I assume you mean the HPG stations on occupied worlds,” Norris said quietly, driving his fork through some salad, before spearing a fry to secure it. His post on Pesht was several jumps behind the truceline.

Wei nodded bleakly. “We have to assume that the Clans will turn on those stations as soon as we move openly. They’ve been establishing their own HPGs but as far as we can tell it’s far from covering all their needs.”

“For now. Ten years from now will be another matter,” he warned before lifting his fork to his mouth.

“Agreed. So from their perspective, taking our HPGs leaves them in control of their communications and deprives us of bases at their rear - particularly along the periphery border and the old Lyran-Draconian border.” Many of the HPGs in those regions were at the heart of enclaves tens or even hundreds of kilometers across. “We can’t allow that to happen.”

“How can we stop them?” Norris asked once he was done chewing.

Focht spoke up. “For stations such as yours, that have no substantial territory, we will require full interdict protocols. Staff go to ground, hiding or destroying key components. The Clans have the knowledge needed to restore them to service eventually but it will take them years, due to the same component bottlenecks that are stalling their own parallel network of HPGs.”

That got a nod and then Precentor Pesht’s eyes widened. He lifted his beer and drank from it. Swallowing, he turned to Wei. “I am sure the Clans will give us a justification for a general interdict in the next year, but since the Precentor Martial only mentioned HPGs that lack an enclave around them…?”

“We could do the same,” Wei agreed. “It would mean abandoning the people who moved their for our protection, but except where the other Task Forces strike it is unlikely that garrisons could hold out for long.”

“That isn’t what you are planning, is it?”

Wei looked down at her own plate. “I am torn. It would be an abandonment… but if garrisons remain in place then they would likely be destroyed.”

“Casualties will be heavy,” Focht confirmed. “I expect battalions and brigade would be lost, perhaps entire divisions.”

“Can’t we simply evacuate the garrisons that cannot be easily over-run?” offered Tiger Lily cautiously.

The white-haired soldier shook his head. “That would reveal the regions that are of interest to us. It would be too suspicious.”

“Then why are we even considering having the ComGuards defend them?”

“There are two reasons,” Focht told them, voice solemn. “Firstly is the moral one. The duty of a soldier is to stand between civilians and harm. We have pledged to guard those enclaves and no one ever said that it would be safe to do so.”

“Dying for a principle sounds pretty but I imagine that the ComGuards will feel better about not being asked to die,” Tiger Lily pointed out and then reddened slightly, lowering her voice as a few heads turned at the next nearest table.

Wei smiled warmly at the other guests and mouthed “actors”. To her satisfaction, the other diners all turned back to their meal.

“No one is enthusiastic about dying,” Norris said quietly, “But unless they have changed significantly since my day, the ComGuards take their responsibility to those under their protection seriously. Abandoning those enclaves would be a severe blow to morale.”

Tiger Lily shook her head slightly but when she looked at Focht he nodded. “It would not be enough on its own to persuade me,” he told her. “However, there is also the argument that if the Clans are sending units to fight our garrisons, then those forces won’t be available to face the first waves of the counter offensive. I don’t intend to sacrifice my… our soldiers, but if they defend as long as they can before going to ground to fight as guerillas that could make a major difference.”

“Are you seriously considering this?” the precentor asked incredulously.

Wei’s face must have given her away.

“You want my support for this?”

“Several years ago,” Wei told her, “I sent the vast majority of our espionage experts behind enemy lines to support resistance movements against the Clans. The most favorable estimate I have is that half of them may be alive.”

“That’s what they’re trained for,” Tiger Lily hissed. “And they are volunteers.”

“And this,” growled Focht, “is what my ComGuards are trained for. All of them are volunteers as well.”

“I definitely need more wine.” Tiger Lily pushed her chair back and walked to the bar.

The three left behind said nothing as they waited. Wei cut some more from her steak but it was without taste when she put it in her mouth.

When Precentor Atreus returned with a full glass in her hand, she looked calmer. “Two divisions at most,” she almost whispered once she was seated again. “And they have to know what they are getting into - not the specifics, but brief them that there may be no relief if they come under attack by the Clans.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #726 on: 09 April 2024, 06:08:44 »
I'm glad that none of them is taking the sending troops to forlorn hope mission lightly.

Try not to make any spelling mistakes.

My Lord, why do you keep giving me the hardest battles?
Shoot first, laugh later.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #727 on: 09 April 2024, 10:48:54 »
Matti had managed to finish off her own Gargoyle but her Thunderbolt was blackened almost from head to tow, the missile launcher a wreck and the left arm missing entirely as a Kingfisher pummelled her.
Toe, not Tow.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #728 on: 09 April 2024, 11:59:08 »
Interesting development here. Especially Victor and Adam using clanner batchall against them.

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #729 on: 09 April 2024, 12:29:06 »
Interesting indeed. If the Nova Cats would defect to the FedCom at some point it would likely be a much more stable arrangement than what they got in canon...
Jude Melancon lives!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #730 on: 09 April 2024, 13:39:32 »
Interesting indeed. If the Nova Cats would defect to the FedCom at some point it would likely be a much more stable arrangement than what they got in canon...

... At least until Crazy Kat or someone like her rolls around. How do you think she would have reacted if the Nova Cats refuse to support her in the Civil War?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #731 on: 09 April 2024, 17:33:46 »
I don't think Drakensis has a FedCom Civil War in mind...  All the other developments are WAY more interesting! :D

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #732 on: 12 April 2024, 00:55:04 »
Opalescent Reflections

Full House
Chapter 4

Dali, Tamar
12 January 3057

Ulric Kerensky had only expected to see Karl Bourjon appear across the desk from him, but as the live HPG communication opened, a second Khan was beside the leader of Clan Ghost Bear. The expression of Lynn McKenna was enough to tempt Ulric to hide behind the desk he’d laid claim to along with the rest of the Duke of Tamar’s office. “Dare I ask?” he enquired, barely keeping a groan from his voice.

The muscular Ghost Bear folded his arms across his chest. “You are acting as the protector of Clan Zeerga,” he rumbled.

What had those surats done now? “Aff, for a few more weeks. Since you are joining us, Khan McKenna, I assume that they have offended both of you this time?”

“You claim to be unaware?” she demanded.

“I am a very long way from the homeworlds,” Ulric pointed out. “No doubt some report from Clan Wolf’s Watch is on its way to me but much of their attention is focused on the Inner Sphere.”

The white-haired Snow Raven glared into his eyes. “Three days ago the Zeerga jumped their entire warship fleet into the Lum system and challenged the defenders of our shipyards.”

Ulric’s jaw sagged open. “They claimed your shipyards, quiaff?” There were several shipyards around the Clan homeworlds but most of them were focused on servicing existing vessels - understandable since the vast reserves left from the Exodus Fleet filled most of their needs. Clan Snow Raven, the paramount clan in the field of warships, were the most notable exception: their shipyards over Lum were the only one that could build new jumpships and warships.

Clan Wolf had tried to acquire part of the yards in 2966, something that his Clan would prefer to forget. The debacle had ended their own ventures into warship construction entirely.

“Neg!” McKenna exclaimed. “To stop that we would have destroyed them, no matter the cost.”

“They challenged for possession of three warships docked in the yards,” Bourjon rumbled. “Two of them belonging to my Clan.”

The Wolf Khan thought about that for a moment and then looked over at McKenna questioningly.

“The last was ours,” she confirmed. “But with the yards under the Zeerga’s guns the commander felt he must show restraint. He bargained down to fighters and elementals. A warship battle would have courted disaster.”

“Something Ward and Radick no doubt calculated on,” Ulric mused. “Reckless but effective.”

“Their fighters punched through and allowed elementals to seize control of the ships,” McKenna continued. “We ceded and they patched up controls for the jumpdrive and left a few hours ago.”

“They must be heading for Eden. The facilities there are their only option to complete warships. Off hand, I am unsure how long it might take though.”

“That is my own thinking,” agreed Bourjon. “We will not stand for this, Ulric. Those ships cost us a fortune in resources. The Zeerga cannot continue to hide behind you.”

The Khan leant back into his seat and examined the two. “I understand how you feel, but they did act under Clan law. I have no grounds to withdraw our support until March 18. Until then, any challenge to the Zeerga will be met by Clan Wolf. I can do no less…” Then he shook his head, feeling his gray hair brush the high back of the chair. “But I will do no more. If you want to strike at the Zeerga then I can only advise to wait until March 19.”

Both Khans nodded grimly and Ulric made a mental note that Clan Wolf’s forces in the Eden system were to make sure they left the instant that their obligations to the new Clan ended. They might once have been brethren but their actions over the last two years had soured the relationship.

“I am surprised they even wanted more warships,” he added thoughtfully. “Their holdings are not so widely spread as to need a large fleet. They could have probably have claimed ships from a naval cache with less difficulty. What ships were seized?”

“The Ark Royal is our newest battlecruiser.” McKenna all but spat. “Sister-ship of the Conqueror.”

Ulric nodded, searching his memory. Ah yes, a substantial rebuild of an SLDF fast cruiser, roughly comparable to Clan Wolf’s own flagship the Dire Wolf. “And your losses?” he asked Bourjon. He didn’t particularly keep track of Clan Ghost Bear’s ships but they were working hard as part of their shared supply lines with Clan Diamond Sharks so almost anything could have been sent in for maintenance.

“Do not tease me, Ulric! We had only two ships at Lum!”

For a moment, the older Khan was taken aback by Bourjon’s raw anger but then his memory gave up the missing pieces. “The Leviathans?! I thought they were far from being fit to jump.”

“Neg, they are largely unarmed and unarmored but their core propulsion was completed before priorities changed.”

The Leviathans - the Ghost Bear’s Follies - were a project going back more than ten years. Bourjon’s predecessors had entered into a partnership with Clan Snow Raven to build two of the most powerful warships ever built, a new generation to exceed even the Nightlord-class of battleships that represented the best of Clan warships. The costs had been huge, justified only by the expectation of having to fight warships belonging to the Great Houses.

Discovering that the Wolf Dragoons’ reports that such warships didn’t exist were correct, combined with the need to supply their own invasion force, had forced the Ghost Bears to divert the resources and thus the ships had lingered at Lum with progress slowing to a crawl.

“They must have been better informed than I was,” Ulric admitted ruefully. “But it would take years for them to complete the Leviathans. There’s no stockpile of capital armaments on Eden and I have heard nothing of them being seized from elsewhere. I am sure someone would have made me aware.”

McKenna snorted. “The answer is obvious. I will give you until the nineteenth of March, Ulric. But that clears any and all debts I may have owed you.”

“I would not ask more.”

The Snow Raven inclined her head sharply and then dropped out of the call, her hologram blinking away to leave the Wolf and Ghost Bear looking at each other.

“Transports,” Ulric concluded quietly.

Bourjon nodded. “We considered using them for that ourselves. Weapons require solid mountings, ammunition feeds, power… and then building the armored hull around all that. But cargo modules, habitation decks and life support - any dropship yard could build that given time.”

“What sort of capacities did you estimate?”

The Ghost Bear shrugged. “It depended on the preferred mix but… say a quarter million souls and as many tons of cargo, with fuel and life support to make the voyage to our occupation zone.”

“You never think small, quineg.”

“Neg. Nor short term.” Bourjon shrugged his shoulders. “The Clan Council is furious. You know how we are when roused.”

“I can only offer you what I did McKenna. When my pledge lapses, they are all yours,” Ulric promised. “When I offered my protection they were our erring sibkin, I had to appease their grieving comrades. The Zeerga have burned those bridges since then.”

The Ghost Bear folded his arms again. “I cannot imagine doing such a thing.”

“It was not my first resort,” he retorted. “I gave them a chance and they chose to squander it.”

“Our Clan is not the only one that desires revenge. It is probable that by the end of March the Zeerga will hold only their enclave on Strana Mechty,” warned Bourjon. “After that they may end up absorbed.”

Ulric had guessed as much. He would almost have expected abjuration but the chance at the genetic legacies the Zeerga had access to would be too great a prize. “That would not have my vote but I will not fight against it. Our Clan’s future is here in the Inner Sphere.”

Bourjon eyed him thoughtfully. “I had heard that you were establishing enclaves here but I had never thought to hear such worlds from you, Ulric. You have become a Crusader, quineg?”

“Neg, but Clan Wolf now rules worlds caught between the way of the Clans and those of the Inner Sphere,” he admitted. “Socially and geographically, the occupation zones will always be caught between the Clan and the Inner Sphere. The only way to stop further invasion is to create a point where both can meet with civility, if not peace. It will be a long road but that is something our Clans are better at than some others.”

“I have had similar thoughts,” the Ghost Bear agreed. “Of course, we may not have the time for such a road. If we do not survive our enemies’ claws, then it will not matter. The Zeerga are far from the largest challenge we are about to face.”

Kyoto City, Benjamin
Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine
1 February 3057

Oda Hideyoshi’s estate would have fit in perfectly in the Imperial City. The marquis’ ancestor had acquired the land almost four hundred years ago and according to the dossier, the house had been built in the styles that were fashionable at the time. That being the traditional japanese architecture being pushed for by House Kurita as they moved the capital to Luthien, the only obvious differences were some subtleties of the wood that likely marked that the Hideyoshi family had used local timber originally or for repairs.

Probably the former, Minoru thought as he greeted his host with an exchange of formal bows. The Hideyoshi’s fortunes had risen and fallen over the years. When they first moved to Benjamin they would not be able to afford shipping rates for this much timber, not even in the golden years of the Star League.

The retired Otomo officer bowed deeply as Minoru crossed the threshold and the Coordinator returned the gesture. He was the lord of all lords in the Combine but he was still a guest today.

“My lord,” Hideyoshi greeted him. “You honor me with your visit.”

“I regret that I have not previously had the opportunity to spend time upon Benjamin,” Minoru answered politely, pretending not to notice that the older man was leaning on a cane. Hideyoshi had left a leg inside his battlemech on Luthien, if Omi’s resistance had not rescued him he would be a Diamond Shark bondsman. “Your estate has the appearance of a jewel in the crown of the district capital.”

“You are too kind.” The samurai gestured with the arm not using the cane towards the garden. “I feared that the style might be too melancholy while Luthien is inaccessible.”

That was delicately put, the younger man thought. “I have the fortune to place my own stamp upon the new capital.” Even if Luthien was liberated by the counter-offensive - which would be rather optimistic - then it would almost certainly be too exposed to shift the government there. Particularly given that another move would layer more disruption onto the court.

Hideyoshi indicated a turn on the path. “It will be a little time before dinner. Perhaps you would be pleased to engage in some archery while we talk. I imagine that you have had little chance to practice as you traveled.”

Minoru wouldn’t have said that archery was his favorite of the martial arts, but he was reasonably proficient and he supposed that it would be unreasonable to suggest a sparring session against a man twice his age with half as many organic legs as he had. “I would be pleased to.”

The older man seemed pleased and led Minoru through to one of the gardens. An open gallery at one end held firing positions and four targets stood at the far end, separated from them by a recently mowed lawn and lined with colorful flower beds.

“Less stark than the usual arrangement,” Minoru murmured as he selected a bow from the selection that had been laid out waiting for them. “I suppose less skilled archers might incur the anger of the gardener.”

Hideyoshi had set aside his cane once he reached a firing position and stood stiff-legged with his own bow in hand. “My wife first cultivated the flowers here,” he explained. “It was a way for us to combine our pleasures… and yes, she was most wroth on occasion if an arrow went astray. A fine inducement to improve.”

“One must respect the lady of the house.” He knew Hideyoshi had lost his wife several years before to cancer. Making his selection, Minoru carried the bow and a quiver of arrows to the next firing position. “Would you like the first shot?”

“Please,” the samurai declined with a gesture towards the targets.

Minoru nocked an arrow and extended his arm, waiting a moment before drawing it to extension. He looked down across the garden, letting the flowers flanking it fade from awareness. There was only the target, the arrow and the intent to bring them together.

The release came almost as a surprise and the arrow knifed into the target, dropping into the 9-ring just below the bullseye.

Hideyoshi did not offer sycophantic congratulations, simply drawing back his own arrow and releasing. His own arrow pierced the very edge of the bullseye. “I do not think you came here simply out of courtesy, tono.”

Minoru chose another arrow. “It is the nature of governance to seek to strike many targets with one arrow.”

“And neither diminishes the other. If I may help you to carry the burdens of the Combine then it is my duty and pleasure to do so.”

This time Minoru’s arrow was a hair too high, he had over-corrected and it would have been generous to say that the arrow was touching the bullseye. “I would value your counsel, Marquis Hideyoshi.”

“In the ancient wisdom of the west, a young man in possession of wealth and land must be desiring a wife,” Hideyoshi commented before launching another arrow into the target. It settled next to the first, clearly within the bullseye. “But I think that is not the topic that you have in mind.”

“It is not,” Minoru agreed evenly. He supposed that the remark or something like it was inevitable given that the man had a daughter who was unwed. “Have you ever met with Daniel Sorenson,” he asked instead.

“I had the privilege of attending his wedding,” Hideyoshi replied, to Minoru’s mild surprise. “Although we are not close. I think the offer was extended simply as a courtesy to a fellow officer who was on the same world at the time. His promotion came as a surprise, but not his loyalty or competence.”

“I have been pleased by both qualities.” Minoru loosed another arrow and it sank neatly between the first two - clearly in the bullseye, if not quite in the center. “While on Dieron I had the chance to meet with him and he has some interesting ideas about restructuring the government of his district to reflect lessons learned over the last few years.”

“Only his own district?” Lifting an arrow from his quiver, Hideyoshi examined it carefully, squinting along its length to check that it was perfectly straight. “The way some have spoken of his ideas, it would be easy to believe he wants to have the entire Combine reorganized into new districts to fit our diminished territory.”

Minoru was selecting his own next arrow and let it slip from his fingers in irritation. “It would be presumptuous for one Warlord to look beyond the boundaries of his district.”

“Indeed.” Hideyoshi nocked his arrow and drew it. “Such a decision would be cowardly, in any case - accepting that our recent reverses are largely irretrievable. And Sorenson -” His voice was slightly strained from holding the draw so long. “- is no coward.”

The arrow struck the target but only in the 8-ring.

“I hope you have extended your understanding to those who err in their comprehension,” the Kurita offered. He drew and released the arrow, seeing it settle next to the last arrow, on the edge of the bullseye. “Sorenson believes that through these changes Dieron can offer more support to the coming campaigns. With the Star League divided in its priorities when it comes to repelling the Clans, I am inclining towards giving him the chance to prove his theories.”

“It would be too much to expect that the Federated Commonwealth would be willing to extend efforts to reclaim our worlds at the expense of their own. Your sister’s efforts in keeping them from taking advantage of our focus on the Sharks have been admirable, but it would take a miracle to have more. My daughter is a great admirer, I may have to bring her to Irurzun when Lady Omi is next there,” he said in an indulgent tone. “I hope that it would not be presumptuous to introduce her - I owe your sister my life.”

“I’m sure Omi would be pleased, although I’m not sure when she will return,” Minoru said, picking another arrow and politely waiting for Hideyoshi to take a shot.

“Now that I can no longer take the field myself, I find myself thinking more about the future,” the marquis said, nocking the arrow. “I had fixed ideas of where my life would go and now I find myself living a rather different life - I had rather hoped to be chosen as the next regimental commander but now I have to find other ways to serve.” He released the arrow and it struck the dead center of the target.

Minoru drew his own arrow and sought the focus to make the next shot the equal of his host’s. There was a flicker of movement at the entrance of the gallery and he sought to banish the distraction - if it was any threat his security would not have let it pass.

The arrow struck home just on the edge of the bullseye again.

“I crave your pardon for distracting you, Lord Kurita.” The new arrival bowed deeply and Minoru was caught aghast for a moment. Why was Wei Rong here!

A moment later, his mind caught up with what he was seeing. This wasn’t the Primus of ComStar, although she bore some resemblance with a similar figure and long hair worn in the same style. She wore a demure kimono and as she looked up, he saw solemn and intelligent eyes.

“One grants pardon only where there is something to be forgiven,” he told her. “Please think nothing of it, Marquis HIdeyoshi is merely a better shot than I am.”

The man in question lowered his bow. “Should I take your arrival to mean that dinner is served, Atsuko-chan?”

She bowed her head again. “Yes father.”

“As an old campaigner, one should not pass up on a chance to eat,” the host advised, turning back to his lord.

Minoru set his bow down. “Wise words that I have heard from both my father and grandfather. Let us wash our hands and eat.”

Atsuko clapped her hands sharply and two servants entered, each carrying a bowl in one hand and a jug in the other. They had towels over their shoulders.

Rinsing his hands, Minoru accepted soap and realized that it was Atsuko who had passed him the bar before turning away to offer another to her father. He wasn’t sure if he was imagining the warm touch of her hand as she gave him the soap.

His hope that Hideyoshi had missed his distraction was dashed when he saw a knowing look in the old officer’s eyes. “Do not take this the wrong way, tono, but Warlord Sorenson’s reforms are probably less critical to the realm’s future than you ensuring that you have an heir.”

The young woman flushed and snatched the soap back from her father. Minoru handed his own bar back to her before letting the servant pour warm water from the jug over his hands to wash away the soap. Her hand definitely brushed his and he watched her leave.

Minoru gave Hideyoshi a sharp look and the marquis spread his own clean hands slightly. “One wishes the best for one’s children, tono. I hope that you provide well for your own, with the future of the Combine… whoever you choose to wed.”

There was no doubt what the man was hoping for, only whether the resemblance between Minoru’s first crush and the marquis’ daughter was a coincidence.

“I admire your archery,” he said blandly, changing the topic as the two of them left the garden and followed the young lady of the house towards the dining room. “Clearly, I should practice more.”

Katyusha City, Strana Mechty
Kerensky Cluster, Clan Homeworlds
19 February 3057

Katyusha’s primary drop-port was the busiest on the planet and until the completion of a secondary drop-port fourteen years previously it had been the uncontested king of congestion for the entire Clan Homeworlds, even with three Clans that had neighboring enclaves pointedly directing all but the most urgent of their traffic via monorail to their own territory.

The main terminal was crowded by members of every caste and most of the Clans as Sarah Weaver stalked through it, although most had the good sense to move aside rather than stand in the path of a Khan.

“We are early, my Khan,” reported her aide - a warrior so green that she was probably still wet behind her ears.

“Better that than missing our takeoff,” she replied sharply. After three quarrels over precedence had led to bloodshed and delays, the Free Guild that managed the facility had appealed to the Grand Council and an officer of the Ebon Keshik had been assigned to oversee traffic control. From that day on, the rule had been ironclad: you took off on schedule or you were sent to the back of the queue, which could mean waiting for days. “I will wait in the lounge, alert me when the time comes to board.”

Up a flight of stairs from the main departures area, the lounge served caste leaders and other senior clansmen who might want to work in peace as they waited. Semi-enclosed booths lined one wall and doors along the other marked private rooms. The wall of armor-glass looked out over the dropships being prepared for lift, buses and luggage-haulers crawling back and forth in an intricate dance, partly blocked by the glass and steel bar that provided refreshments.

“PPC, Smoke Jaguar style,” Sarah ordered brusquely as soon as she reached the bar. A few travelers already waiting for attention turned at the sight of her but they all wisely went back to waiting as they saw her uniform and rank pins.

The bartender placed a snifter glass in front of her and measured four shots of wood-grain alcohol into it before digging beneath the bar for the second part of the cocktail. Once the next two shots had been added, Sarah drained it quickly and forced herself to show no expression as the beverage numbed her mouth - a point of pride amongst all her sibkin… of whom she was the last.

“Another,” she ordered, sliding her credcard over for payment. “I will use room three.”

The bartender paled slightly as he accepted the card and began pouring again. “The room is in use, Khan Weaver. By other Khans,” he clarified hastily.

“Then I will deal with them directly,” Sarah asserted, accepting the credcard and the fresh glass. “My aide will look for me, let them know where I am.”

“Aff, Khan.”

Sarah tucked her card away as she went to the door and unlatched it. The three waiting inside all looked up as she entered, two of them relaxing slightly at the sight of them. The third merely tilted his head in acknowledgement.

“A Smoke Jaguar PPC,” Malavai Fletcher sneered as Sarah kicked the door closed behind her. “Who does that to their alcohol.”

She rested the glass of wood-grain alcohol and prune juice in front of her and sat down facing the Khan of Clan Hell’s Horses. “This is a warrior’s drink, unlike you herbivores who use liquorice.”

“I have more wit than to dull my senses,” he riposted, indicating his mug of steaming black coffee.

“Herbivore,” she repeated before nodding to the other Khans present. “Taney. Radick.”

“Weaver,” the Ice Hellion greeted her. “What a complete coincidence!”

That got a laugh from Radick. There was no coincidence to their meeting here, of course. It had taken careful scheduling to have them depart within an hour of each other and thus have an unsuspicious meeting before they were divided by many light years from each other.

“None of us have changed our plans,” Fletcher announced. “Any delays have been within the tolerances of our agreed schedule.”

“We will reunite in the Inner Sphere and carve our names into the Remembrance!” Taney declared ebulliently, raising his glass in toast.

Radick went for the glass in front of her but hesitated as she saw neither Fletcher nor Sarah responding. “I also look forward to our victories,” she said, giving them a questioning look.

Seeing Fletcher’s challenging look, Sarah cursed the man for being so well-informed. “There has been a change to our own plans. Khan Showers is restless at the lack of opportunities for combat against the Inner Sphere and will be taking charge of our attack upon the Diamond Sharks.”

“Waiting nine more years must be hard at his age,” Fletcher chuckled and sipped from his coffee. “Hells Horses are not herbivores, Sarah.” He pointedly did not look at Radick, whose clan totem most certainly was.

“To victory over those who stand in our way,” the Smoke Jaguar offered to break the moment and this time they all drank, Sarah’s mouth numbing again and giving an excuse not to say more than a terse goodbye as a knock on the door had Taney alerted that it was time for him to go to his dropship.

“Even if Showers is taking the lead, why would we not see you in the Inner Sphere?” Radick demanded hotly after the door closed behind the Ice Hellion Khan. “I have more faith in you than I do in a fallen ilKhan.”

The older woman set down her glass firmly. “As our ally just pointed out,” she said, tongue feeling slightly awkward in her mouth after the two drinks, “Information has value. Will you answer a question for me in return?”

The Zeerga snorted. “Bargained well, so long as it is of no greater value.”

“The Diamond Sharks are shifting more of their garrison forces out of the homeworlds,” Weaver told her. “That creates an opportunity here and since Tau Galaxy has gone to the occupation zone without me I am authorized to build another new galaxy on Huntress out of production and graduating cadets who could not reach the Inner Sphere in time to aid you. The Diamond Sharks will be savaged from every direction, my Omega Galaxy adding another jaw to our offensive.”

“That does make sense,” Radick agreed. “What is your own question?”

Sarah thought for a moment about what to ask. “Your prizes from Lum: what will you name those warships?”

The blonde mechwarrior smiled proudly at reference to her Clan’s recent victory. “The battlecruiser has been named Reunion,” she declared. “And the battleships are the Revenge and the Retribution.”

“Strong names,” the Smoke Jaguar said, amused at the choices. Radick may be dreaming of a reunion between her Clan and the Wolves, but she thought that the other two names might be more indicative of what the Zeerga warriors would seek. For all the Khan’s dreams of treating this campaign as a trial of refusal over her exile, it would be unlikely to end in an easy reconciliation between the rival heirs to the Founder’s legacy.

They were interrupted again by a knock at the door. This time the visitor wore the black and white uniform of Clan Zeerga and Radick finished her glass quickly before following her aide out of the lounge.

The two remaining Khans eyed each other wordlessly for a moment after the door closed.

“You are unusually quiet,” Sarah accused without heat.

“It serves me well,” Fletcher told her. “I got the answers to both of your questions without cost just by keeping my mouth shut.”

“You are sharper than most give you credit.”

“It is the scars,” the Hells Horse observed quietly. “Few can look past them.”

Sarah reached up and touched the one that crawled across her scalp. “Some call them marks of failure.”

“Wounds only scar if you survive them,” he said and drained his coffee mug. “Where do you plan to hit the Sharks? Vinton, quiaff?”

She bared her teeth at the reminder. The Diamond Sharks and the Smoke Jaguars had been fighting each other when the arrival of the Outbound Light cut short the conflicts among the Clans and took Showers’ attention away from reclaiming the enclaves on Vinton. Once a Smoke Jaguar stronghold, half the industrial world’s cities now flew the banner of the Diamond Sharks.

“Information for information,” she said instead. “And it is your turn to answer a question. How do you rate Radick’s chances of success?”

Fletcher considered her for a moment and then shrugged. “The Wolves will be one again however it turns out: either Radick wins her refusal or Kerensky crushes her and absorbs what is left of the Zeerga. Their enclaves here will be lost by the time Radick’s fleet reaches the Inner Sphere so there is no way back.”

“And in either case, the Wolves will have lost their Eden holdings,” Sarah noted with some satisfaction. Those enclaves bordered with some of Clan Smoke Jaguar’s holdings and had been a constant point of conflict over the years. Seeing the Wolves stripped of those lands and their wealth would be very satisfying.

“Not to mention many warriors and much of their equipment. It will be a generation or more before the Wolves can recover, even with the wealth of their occupied worlds,” the elemental said confidently.

“A humbling that is long overdue.” She shook her head. “As to your own question, I have not yet settled on a target. It will depend where the Diamond Sharks are most vulnerable next year. They still have a frontline galaxy here in the Kerensky Cluster and another in the Pentagon. If they reduce Beta Galaxy’s strength then Vinton would be tempting, but there is also their harjel source on Strato Domingo.”

“Hitting the merchants in their finances.” Fletcher sounded approving. The Diamond Sharks’ monopoly on harjel, a critical material for elemental battle armor as well as self-sealing hulls for spacecraft, had made them immensely wealthy.

“Or we may hit them on Babylon or Dagda if Delta Galaxy is weakened. Whatever hurts them.” Sarah might have spoken further but the door opened to reveal her aide.

“Your dropship is ready, my Khan. We have fifteen minutes to board.”

“Fight well, Khan Fletcher,” she told the towering Hells Horses officer as she rose to her feet.

“Give them hell, Khan Weaver,” he rumbled and rose to bow slightly to her as she left for her dropship and Huntress.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2024, 03:58:38 by drakensis »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #733 on: 12 April 2024, 18:10:34 »
Progress is progress... Interesting to say the least! :D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #734 on: 12 April 2024, 18:51:16 »
Yikes, Clans are turning on each other.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #735 on: 12 April 2024, 19:01:11 »
Not so much "turning" as "turned on each other by design"... >:)

Moriarty74

• Private
« Reply #736 on: 12 April 2024, 19:10:01 »
With the Arkab Legions forming a much larger role and portion of the DCMS, it will be interesting to see how they use that position.  I could see them pushing for some of the rebuilding mech factories to be located in Azami territories, even more freedom in Kurita society, possible some other things I'm not considering.  While they would know there is a limit to how far Minoru would be willing much less could yield to them, he also can't afford to fully turn them down as well.
"Like spirited Eridani stallions chasing after fat, clumsy Luthien cows" Anonymous Rasalhague Journalist, 2749

https://kushialbattletech.blogspot.com/

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #737 on: 12 April 2024, 20:44:27 »
Yikes, Clans are turning on each other.
Are you really surprised?

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #738 on: 13 April 2024, 02:15:07 »
Let's see if the Zeerga get their invasion fleet out before all those people they've pissed off are coming knocking. Sarah Weaver is right in her assessment - however the war plays out in the Inner Sphere, Clan Wolf will be worse for wear for years to come. But that will be true for the Jaguars as well, with both the Wolfs and Task Force Topaz gunning for their capitals...
Jude Melancon lives!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #739 on: 13 April 2024, 03:39:59 »
Can you imagine IS coming knocking at Huntress, just as Weaver is busy fighting Sharks?

''Hey guys, can we have a time-out here, I left a gas stove on at home.''
''Deal negotiation you say?''
''[Muttered unimaginative swear words]''

I reckon Labov will give her a tough fight.

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #740 on: 13 April 2024, 12:13:39 »
So, let's see if I got the timetable of future conflicts right:
  • After 18th March 3057, the Ghost Bears, Ravens and likely a host of other Clans will begin to hit Clan Zeerga in retaliation.
  • Shortly after that, Clans Smoke Jaguar, Hell's Horses, Zeerga and Ice Hellion will start an all-out attack on the Diamond Sharks in the Inner Sphere and the Home Worlds.
  • At about the same time, Clan Wolf plans to hit Rasalhague and possibly other Smoke Jaguar worlds, too.
  • Early 3058, the Inner Sphere (+Outworld Alliance) plans to launch their counter-offensive across the Steiner and Kurita border, while Taskforce Topaz is set to arrive in the Home Worlds to enact a heavy raid on Huntress.
That sounds like exceedingly unfun times for most people, except us readers, of course.
Jude Melancon lives!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #741 on: 13 April 2024, 14:31:33 »
The Angry Clans will hit the Inner Sphere holdings of Diamond Sharks in one year as that's how long it will take their forces to travel from Homeworlds to Inner Sphere

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #742 on: 15 April 2024, 01:08:25 »
Opalescent Reflections

Full House
Chapter 5

Hilton Head, North America
Terra, Sol System
13 March 3057

“...excuse me?” Wei asked in disbelief.

The First Circuit’s council chamber was back in service and in use, although most of the Precentors were also attending remotely. There was too much for them to do back at their posts for them to stay on Terra, but Wei was wondering now if she would have been better keeping them there so she could provide closer supervision.

“I was asking,” Trent Hone said politely, “when we would -”

“No,” Wei said, holding up her hand. “I heard you. There was just… so much wrong with what you said that I need a moment to process it.”

Precentor St Ives looked offended and a number of other Precentors looked irritated. Many more were confused and a few were amused.

“You’re asking,” Wei said slowly, “When ComStar will be reorganized to administer the Star League. Please don’t take this as thinking that this, or any other topic, is barred from discussion… But what in the world makes you think we’re about to do that? Did I miss something?”

Her words - or perhaps her tone - caused Precentor Shaffi to giggle inappropriately.

Hone flushed at the sound. “We are the last remains of the Star League’s administrative arms: the Ministry of Communications, the Bureau of the Star League Administration, even the SLDF divisions that didn’t join Kerensky in his desertion! Now that the Star League has been reborn, isn’t it obviously time for us to take up that role again?”

“I wouldn’t say that it was obvious,” Joe Murphy responded. “You’re the only person to even suggest it so far.”

Joseph Buckley coughed. “Someone has to be the first,” he told his counterpart from the other side of the Federated Commonwealth. “I hadn’t given it thought until now, and I would hesitate to say that we are ready to do this but there is logic to the idea and Trent is making a valid point. A restored Star League will need bureaucracy to administer it and who is better placed to provide it than our Order?”

Wei suspected that many of Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner-Davion’s government officials would like to put themselves forward for the role but that might not be the best counter-argument.

“I don’t believe that we can reasonably say that the Star League is back in the sense that you mean,” she told Hone quietly. “You do make a legitimate point about considering our place in that the current detente between the Great Houses proves to be something more enduring than a purely military alliance against the Clans and I apologize if my initial response came across as mockery.”

“Primus, we are nearing the culmination of everything the Blessed Blake planned out for us,” Hone asserted. “The ancient technologies are being recovered and the Star League Council has reassembled. Surely we must put our weight behind this grand project. Our entire purpose is to provide leadership in these times… Not to try to usurp the rule of humanity as some of our more reckless brethren may have claimed, but to provide the tools and counsel that the leaders of humanity need.”

Wei nodded her head. “So far we are in complete agreement. However, that does not mean that we will succeed at this time. An ancient phrase once used by Albert Marik when discussing what would become the Star League with Ian Cameron comes to mind: a beginning is a very delicate time. Trust will take time to build and if we press too hard right now it is likely that we would spark backlash against this alliance. Our first step must be to defeat the Clans.”

“I don’t think anyone disagrees about destroying the Clans,” Buckley said with a laugh.

“Destruction and defeat are two very different things,” warned Andrew Norris. “I very much doubt that the Clans will be completely driven from the Inner Sphere in the near future. I certainly see no prospect of their homeworlds being taken.”

Shaffi spoke up, voice apologetic. “I would have to agree. The armies being mustered are formidable but the demands of such a campaign are limited less by the armed forces available and more by the economic might able to supply and transport them. The Clans swept across so many worlds because they had (and still have) a huge reserve of shipping, larger than that of any of the Great Houses, to deliver their forces and supplies across a vast distance; and even then they needed initial advantages of surprise and technological superiority. Even the most fervent believers in House Kurita’s ability to bounce back are talking about reclaiming valuable industrial worlds and political hubs. Completely reclaiming the Combine’s former territory seems impossible unless the other Houses were willing to focus entirely on defeating the Clans occupying those worlds at the expense of their own interests. I can’t see that happening.”

There was a rustle of disagreement from around the First Circuit and Wei looked around, trying to assess its extent without seeming too disturbed. “That is in line with Precentor Martial Focht’s reports of the current planning. We will have to co-exist with the Clans in the future. Destroying them without returning to the atrocities of the First Succession War and subjecting the Inner Sphere to retaliation on the same terms would be impossible - and if anyone proposes to do that then please resign from ComStar first. The light of knowledge that we are charged with keeping alight does not involve nuclear warheads.”

She placed her hands on the podium and glared at the ranks of the podium. “Our influence and leverage over those who make up the Star League Council, many of them representing states that never signed the Treaty of Geneva, rests on our ability to to act as neutral arbiters backed by our control of communications, our military might and our admittedly erratic grasp of the moral high ground. For us to do what Precentor St Ives suggests now would be to place all those tools in the hands of the rest of the Star League Council… and I am far from ready to believe that they will pursue those goals over their own individual interests.”

Wei shook her head and looked down for a moment. “The day may come, Robert. That day may come, but we cannot do so to achieve our Order’s sacred mission. We can do so only when that mission has been completed. When mankind no longer needs our services, when they have outgrown us… that is when we must disband ourselves.”

“I cannot tell you if that will be to a new Star League or some other body. I cannot tell you when or where, only that I hope that our work with the current alliance claiming the legacy of the Star League will lay its foundations.”

For a moment she thought she had them, but then Buckley cleared his throat. “And I am sure that this is in no sense self-interested, Primus Rong?”

She wanted to slap the self-righteous man across the face. He had openly sought office to advance his own agenda and now he wanted to act as if she was in some way immoral.

“Precentor…” Her voice was icy. “If that day were to come in my lifetime, much less my time of office, I would be relieved. I could go out and get laid without a security cordon, for one thing.”

Several of the Precentors went red.

“If you wish to propose a measure to break off our services and place them under the administration of the Council,” she continued, “May I ask what the fate would be of the many enclaves currently under our governance? Are they handed over to the rulers of the worlds they are on, even though most of the population have made it clear that they have no desire for that? Or would you rather they are placed under the direct rule of the Council, open to the exploitation of the Great Houses in the same way that the Star League handled what were the Territorial States during the 28th century.”

“Those claims were grossly exaggerated,” protested Tiger Lily.

“They really weren’t,” Wei disagreed. “There is a reason that one of the Magestrix’s protests of her people’s treatment said that even a whore should be able to expect payment for her services. And the Magistracy did better than the Alliance or the Concordat out of the Star League. Ask the leaders of those realms how they were treated back in the day, Tiger Lily. And then ask if you want Terra to be ruled on those terms!”

There was no further complaint from Precentor Atreus and Wei looked around the room.

“I swear to you, I have no greater wish to tell you that Blake’s vision has been fulfilled. We have the right to hope - we may be closer than we have been in all of our history to that moment. But we are in early days and we have the duty to be prepared if those hopes fail us - prepared to dig in and start again, to do whatever we must to bring mankind out of the dark ages, whether that is in our lifetime or a thousand years ago.”

“Between you and me,” Rachel Orchard said drily. “I would rather not wait that long.”

Wei relaxed her shoulders and rested one elbow on the podium. “I have a few things on my own bucket list, Rachel. But we are drifting a little off topic.”

She turned back to Trent Hone. “If you want to put a measure forward, Precentor St Ives, then that is your right. But we are a long way from being ready to do what you propose. Quite honestly, the Clans have given us a golden chance to lay the foundations for the future we want by providing an outside enemy. But the original Star League wasn’t built on fighting the Reunification War, and since it only lasted for a couple of centuries, maybe we should try to do a bit better this time.”

Dali, Tamar
20 March 3057

Ulric had been hoping to get some rest. The Ghost Bears weren’t usually dramatic but Theresa Delvillar was less phlegmatic than her predecessor - poor Karl Bourjon had been forced to stand down after losing the two Leviathan-class battleships, even though it wasn’t remotely his fault. There had been two conversations so far with the new Khan and he was hoping that her slightly less intense saKhan would handle the next one.

What did she expect him to do? Compensate her for the fortune of resources the Ghost Bears had sunk into the ships? Ulric’s Clan needed all their resources for the herculean efforts to build up shipyards to build a fleet to match the Inner Spheres. He’d be deposed if he even suggested it to the Clan Council.

The comm unit pinged and Ulric set aside readiness reports for the attack on Rasalhague to accept the call. At least that was almost ready to begin - a way to blood the younger warriors and hopefully win over more of the population of the occupied worlds.

“Khan Delvillar again?” he asked. “Or is someone attacking us.” He almost hoped for the latter, it would be therapeutic to get in his Gargoyle and introduce someone to the wrong end of its weapons.

Star Captain Katya Kerensky’s voice came through the comm-unit. “Neg, sir. Khan Schmitt requests an immediate conversation by HPG. She is currently waiting to be put through.”

Ulric checked he was presentable. “Put her through.” This had to be about the Zeerga, he thought. It was only two days since the forces left on Eden had jumped out.

The tall blonde Khan appeared opposite Ulric’s desk, wearing a simple jumpsuit marked only by her Clan’s badge on the shoulders and rank pins on the collar. “Where are they?” she demanded, without preliminary.

“Greetings, Khan Schmitt. I see that you are well,” he replied. “What leads you to contact me so abruptly?”

Her eyes narrowed dangerously. “Greetings, Khan Kerensky. I do not particularly care if you are well and I would appreciate an answer to my question.”

“Ah. Well, if you could let me know who ‘they’ are then I will do my best to help, out of my commitment to the unity of the Clans, if not any particular fondness for you.”

Schmitt growled under her breath. “I am looking for Clan Zeerga,” she said in a clipped tone.

Ulric nodded understandingly. “That was my first guess but I didn’t want to assume. They have only enclaves on Eden and on Strana Mechty, quiaff.”

“I am on Eden!” she snapped. “They are not here!”

“The population of the enclave there is about fifteen million, I believe,” he replied somewhat skeptically.

Schmitt ran one hand through her hair. “There are plenty of civilians here, but a complete absence of warriors except for police warriors who are somewhat below even my low expectations of the Zeerga. Probably because any who had value are also missing.”

He nodded again. “This is the first I’ve heard of it. No clusters of warriors, no warships?” When she glared at him, Ulric shrugged. “Could you start at the beginning?”

The other Khan exhaled heavily. “My forces, along with those of Clan Snow Raven and Clan Fire Mandrill, arrived over Eden yesterday and issued a challenge. There was no reply so we landed and marched on the cities, which are entirely undefended. The Zeerga had apparently been loading ships since the start of year and the moment your forces left Eden, they launched their last dropships and - I assume - jumped out. The civilians cannot tell us, because they were not left with any traffic control systems to monitor them.”

Ulric said nothing for a moment, castigating himself for not having the Watch do more to keep track of what the Zeerga were doing. It was not that they had not tried, but the Zeerga on Eden had been aggressively isolationist except for their attacks on the other Clans. Such diplomacy as they enacted had been on Strana Mechty…

“I assume that you have tried contacting them on Strana Mechty?”

Schmitt’s lips pulled back. “Yes, Kerensky, I have. No one has seen a Zeerga warrior or a senior scientist, or most of the civilians who would directly support the touman in days.”

Ulric steepled his fingers. “That is concerning. It is a complete surprise to me. I suppose that if the enclaves are undefended then your clans are free to divide them up between yourselves.” It pained him, but there was nothing he could do to reclaim them at this point.

“Oh believe me, we will do that,” Schmitt told him. “But that does not avenge the losses we have taken to your discards.”

“That’s for you to decide,” Ulric agreed, “Now that we have withdrawn our protection, I cannot claim to have any say in the matter.”

“Then where are they!” she shouted.

Ulric sighed heavily. “If they are smart, they are headed for some remote world where they can wait until tempers cool and they have the numbers to survive without my Clan’s protection. Since we are discussing Marialle Radick and Vladimir Ward, it seems more likely that they are somewhere on the Exodus Road.” On their way to take their revenge on me for their exile.

Schmitt glared at him again. It was hard to tell, given her usual expression but he had known her for several years.

“I am not sure what you expect me to do about this,” he said honestly. “I am six months away and have no means to communicate with them.” Not that they were likely to listen to him. “If you would like to send me more detailed information then we can look at it and see if it sheds any light on their plans.”

The woman nodded grudgingly.

“I do not suppose we can buy Jaghatais from whoever ends up with the factory?” he asked, on the grounds that it could hardly hurt to try.

Schmitt snorted irritably.

“They took the factory as well,” he guessed.

“They emptied every military factory,” the Blood Spirit Khan told him. “The orbital facilities are hollow shells without even life support and every military supply stored anywhere, down to the oldest Brian Cache. We know now why they captured the Bears’ follies. They needed the lift capacity.”

Mount Asgard, Tharkad
Donegal March, Federated Commonwealth
4 April 3057

Mount Asgard had been the center of Lyran military command since before the establishment of the Star League. As the name suggested, the facilities were buried deep under a mountain to the north of the capital, secure against orbital bombardment and with the entrances fortified against command raids up to and including small ‘mech units.

The basic logic was very similar to that which lay behind the Fox’s Den, buried  in the mountains behind Mount Davion on New Avalon. Having spent time at both, Victor thought that that the main difference was that for centuries House Davion had exercised their influence over planning consent for the mountains to prevent any further civilian presence in the region under various pretenses. The mountains around the Fox’s Den contained small villages and some visitor centers for national parks in the more scenic valleys.

The foothills of Mount Asgard contained several towns whose economies were largely built around the comfort and entertainment of the officers working there, as well as numerous expensive homes that benefited from the optimistic idea that this was the most secure place on Tharkad… as opposed to the most vital battlefield in the event of an invasion.

Victor would have liked to advocate a switch towards more austere surroundings for Mount Asgard, but not only would it affect several tens of thousands of people’s livelihoods, one of the expensive houses in the area belonged to him and he was living in it rather than the Triad or Tharkad City.

Perhaps he would try and find money in the budget for another military command center one day and just start over.

In the meantime, he found himself in one of the elaborately decorated conference rooms as the staff outlined what they could expect for Operation Sapphire. Victor didn’t really mind the decorations - the staff had to work here and being buried underground for your entire working day probably wasn’t all that welcome. Making the rooms pleasant was a trivial expense to offset that.

As a Kommandant-General and the heir to the throne, Victor had a seat on the main table rather than the ring of secondary positions around them. His only real complaint about the matter was that it left him in proximity to General the duke of Porrima Ryan Steiner, his second cousin once-removed. While he didn’t begrudge Ryan the pilot’s wings, which had been honestly earned some thirty years ago, the general’s rank badge was more debatable.

The AFFC didn’t have a rank of general, so Ryan’s use of old Lyran insignia made his political stance rather clear. In addition, the pilot’s last active post had been with the rank of hauptmann and he certainly had not worked his way up the ranks. His credibility in claiming the rank rested on the fact that he was a duke and that he was married to Morasha Kelswa-Steiner, the heiress to the lost worlds of the Tamar March which in theory let her appoint him as commander of their non-existent military forces.

“In summary, our leading estimation is that the four Clans occupying Federated Commonwealth worlds have eight galaxies each in the Inner Sphere,” the intelligence officer reported. “Strengths vary, but on average the assessment of their fighting power is that a galaxy is roughly equivalent to two RCTs reinforced by a third battlemech regiment. To fight them on level terms, much less to overwhelm them would in theory require sixty-four RCTs and thirty-two additional ‘mech regiments.”

“That would be a large force,” Ryan observed sharply, “But as I recall the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth still number at least twice that level of force. Combined with even modest efforts to take the initiative on our part, it should be simple to overwhelm part of the Clans’ forces and crush them in detail.”

Victor leant forwards. “Even with current alliances we have, we can’t strip all of our borders,” he observed and then turned to the operations officer who was next on the list to deliver a presentation. “How many forces can we free up for offensive actions?”

The officer accepted the electronic baton that conferred control of the holographic displays. “Allowing for other commitments, planning is for sixty-five AFFC or affiliated commands of regimental or greater strength to be deployed along this half of the Clan front. This represents approximately one-third of the AFFC’s frontline forces and mercenary contractors.”

“How many of those commands are RCTs?” asked one of the officers on the outer ring.

“Forty-one. A higher mix was considered but deemed unfeasible given the level of shipping needed to move each RCT.”

Ryan scowled. “Sixty-five commands out of the projected ninety-six needed to liberate our citizens. The gap is rather obvious.”

“Operation Sapphire will commit approximately half of these forces to offensive action,” the operations officer continued, “Supported by fifteen brigade-sized units provided by our allies, this is expected to be enough to achieve local superiority of both numbers and fighting strength across a multi-world front.”

“And what will the other half of the forces be doing?” Ryan demanded.

“Let the man finish, Ryan,” Victor warned the older man.

His cousin turned and glared at him, the two Steiners locking eyes for a long moment as everyone else fell silent, watching.

Victor knew he lacked the Duke of Porrima’s experience in politics, but found the steely eyes far less intimidating than he did the guns of the Clans. “Continue,” he ordered, not breaking eye-contact.

Ryan scowled and looked back towards the operations officer as the man explained: “Task Force Sapphire Two will be holding defensive positions around Coventry, Tharkad and other key worlds in the event that the Clans respond with a renewed offensive against the Federated Commonwealth.”

“The best defense of those worlds is a strong offense,” the duke grumbled.

“The regiments will also provide a reserve of forces that can be committed to replace exhausted troops without having to call on the central reserve of troops in the Isle of Skye and Dieron military district,” Xerxes Davion clarified coldly. Another distant cousin, this time of his father, Marshal Davion was the most senior officer present by status, if not rank, deputizing for his immediate superior - the head of the entire Lyran State Command.

Normally Nondi Steiner or Morgan Hasek-Davion would be present for this. The latter was on Terra, handling preparations to take command of Task Force Emerald - the central reserve that Xerxes had mentioned. Only Victor and a few others knew that Nondi’s cancellation was for medical reasons. His great-aunt’s health had never really recovered from injuries in 3039 and she’d been ordered two days of bed-rest after almost collapsing during a meeting with the Archon.

“And how many of our regiments will be provided to a force that will no doubt be defending the Combine from their own ineptitude?” Ryan inquired imperiously.

“Nineteen,” Victor told him. “About half of them - and they will be defending your home if that becomes necessary, Ryan.” If Clan Wolf and Clan Smoke Jaguar, both of whom had had years to recover from Camlann, pushed for Terra then Porrima would be right in their path.

“I concede the necessity,” the older Steiner allowed graciously. “A breakthrough there or a Combine collapse would certainly be problematic. So, given that we are limited to a local offensive, that offensive must be employed to best effect - a push through the Koniz and Kelenfold operational areas would liberate a number of strategically valuable worlds such as Sudeten.” He smiled suddenly, turning on the charm. “I admit that it would be optimistic to talk of liberating Tamar at this early stage, but threatening the Wolves’ flank would force them to divert forces from any offensive deeper into the Inner Sphere.”

Xerxes gestured for the Operations officer to stand down. “The Strategy and Tactics board have narrowed our options to three operations plans. Operation Sapphire Alpha would involve trying to cut off the Jade Falcon and Nova Cat forces around Arcturus by pushing to take worlds along a line from Arc-Royal to Benfeld before eliminating the pocket of worlds. In the event that Operation Ruby shows promise against Clan Smoke Jaguar this would raise the possibility of bringing forward Task Force Emerald to hammer Clan Wolf’s frontline forces from three directions.”

“That sounds ideal,” Ryan declared. “Liberating Arcturus wouldn’t be quite as good for morale as Tamar, but I am sure the Arcturan Guards would be highly motivated by such a victory.”

“True, which is why Arcturus is a target for secondary operations in both of the alternatives,” Victor agreed.

His cousin didn’t quite twitch at the reminder that Victor had already been informed of much of this part of the briefing. Being assigned to Strategy and Tactics after Incukalns had given him a chance to play a part in drawing up the plans, rather than it being a perk of his birth but let Ryan assume that if he wanted.

“Would you like to take over?” Xerxes asked in a reprimanding tone. Victor wasn’t that much junior to him in rank but he was certainly the youngest person in the room.

“Of course, sir,” Victor said cheekily and held out his hand for the baton.

There were a couple of chuckles and the marshal shook his head ruefully before letting Victor have control of the holodisplay. Really, Victor thought, Xerxes wasn’t all that much younger than Aunt Nondi - not retirement age but there was definitely need for fresh blood at the top of Lyran State Command.

“Operation Sapphire Beta is more focused on pushing back our defensive depth around Tharkad,” he explained, bringing up the map indicating where attacks would fall. “The goal would be to take the Steel Viper and Jade Falcon worlds between New Capetown, Morges and Odessa, leaving Clan Nova Cat with a long border to protect. The theory is that the Nova Cats will be willing to allow the other Clans to lose territory without involving themselves unless they’re directly attacked. Cooperation between the Clans is almost always problematic for them, and the Nova Cats would be hesitant to open the worlds their occupying as staging areas for their rivals.”

“That doesn’t mean that they won’t try to claim the worlds for themselves,” Ryan pointed out. “And politics makes strange bedfellows so assumptions like that could catch us out badly.”

You would know about politics, Ryan. But Victor acknowledged the point gracefully. “As it happens, I agree with you. The operation would let us dominate the center of the border but we’d obviously threaten the Nova Cats no matter where we went from there, so I would expect them to respond aggressively. For this reason, I don’t personally favor Sapphire Beta.”

That got a few looks, as officers were supposed to at least pretend to be objective about proposed operations plans. Victor didn’t see the point: if he didn’t have an opinion why was he being asked to contribute to the planning?

“Our final option is Sapphire Gamma.” The map shifted to the anti-spinwards edge of the occupation zone. “This would be an attack focused on Clan Steel Viper’s occupied worlds - particularly the region between Kowloon and Qanatir. Our goal would be to destroy all of the Steel Viper forces in the Inner Sphere, leaving them no staging areas to resume their operations. Hitting their supply bases on Inarcs and the two periphery worlds would be high priorities.”

“That is a long way from anywhere important,” Ryan grumbled. “Why is it even a consideration?”

“Balance of forces,” Victor told him. “The Steel Vipers are the Clan most likely to be hung out to dry by their neighbors. Their closest allies are in the homeworlds or the far end of the occupation zone, so if we focus our efforts on them then we can reasonably overwhelm them with local superiority - Task Force Sapphire One can bring fifty commands to bear against just eight galaxies which would be heavily in our favor.” He highlighted other worlds around the Steel Vipers. “From there we can clear up adjacent Nova Cat and Jade Falcon holdings, and that leaves us in the strategic position of having turned their flank.”

“I can’t believe that you think liberating a few nowhere worlds along the periphery is as viable as striking for core worlds that date back to the founding of the Commonwealth. Half of that region used to be part of the Rim Worlds Republic!”

“Something that the Steel Vipers are well aware of,” Victor snapped back. “Have you seen the reports of what’s being done to our citizens there?”

A hush fell over the room and few people met his eyes.

“Strategically,” Xerxes observed in the quiet, “all three options have their merits and flaws. The success of the Donegal Guards in taking Incukalns means that a similar operation to retake Arcturus will be scheduled for later this year. The Archon has made this a priority and I intend to allocate two RCTs of the Arcturan Guards to the attack, drawing from units that are planned to join Task Force Sapphire Two. Given the Jade Falcons’ reported conservatism, the attack will follow Clan rules in order to minimize losses.”

“Is this really the time for half-measures?” someone asked.

“Probing attacks like this will gauge the enemy’s readiness,” Xerxes told him. “New Capetown is also under consideration for an attack of this nature. If the Clans fall into a pattern of expecting us to use their own customs then there is a better chance of catching them off guard when we assault them next year. Wherever we strike, the goal must be to crush a significant portion of their units in the area before they can respond. I am aware that this isn’t an ideal situation, but we know that all the Clans are trying to bolster their forces in the Inner Sphere.”

“I thought they had to breed their warriors from childhood,” Ryan objected.

“They breed up trueborn warriors,” Victor told him. “Not every Clan depends on that though - some are recruiting from their civilian population and a few have started to recruit from the occupied worlds. We have a shrinking window to deal with the Clans, we need to be thinking not just of this offensive but also how we follow up from it.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #743 on: 15 April 2024, 03:38:11 »
Hmmm... I wonder if Victor will convince them to go with Gamma...

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #744 on: 15 April 2024, 16:28:31 »
I like Gamma... take out a Clan to make a point.  Wonder who'll win the bidding to absorb them?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #745 on: 16 April 2024, 00:44:54 »
Steel Vipers don't use freeborn warriors so they would have a hard time absorbing heavy casualties. With time they might realize their mistake and gradually start using the despised freebirths, so they ought to be struck as soon as possible, perhaps their defeat and weakening can induce a feeding frenzy in the homeworlds.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #746 on: 17 April 2024, 06:35:44 »
Steel Vipers don't use freeborn warriors so they would have a hard time absorbing heavy casualties. With time they might realize their mistake and gradually start using the despised freebirths, so they ought to be struck as soon as possible, perhaps their defeat and weakening can induce a feeding frenzy in the homeworlds.
Since the Vipers are bit bias towards freeborns to begin with, they deserve whatever bad things are coming to them happen them..

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #747 on: 18 April 2024, 01:22:39 »
Opalescent Reflections

Full House
Chapter 6

Yamashiro, New Samarkand
Diamond Shark Dominion
21 May 3057

Ace had barely been an adult when he first met Abigail Enders and he knew that the years since then had changed him a great deal. The head of his Bloodhouse looked as if she’d been pared back to skin, sinew and bones by long days and short nights.

“Are you getting enough sleep?” he asked when she entered his office.

“What is sleep?” the Watch officer asked with a straight-face.

“That sounds like a no to me,” Ace concluded. If she was actually joking then she must be wrung out - Abigail wasn’t noted for humor, or for much of anything. It was one reason she’d slid out of active service in the Burrock touman and ended up in their Watch.

That was the way most of the Clans ‘recruited’ their intelligence specialists and it really showed. Ace hadn’t visited the ISF headquarters on New Samarkand - no one with any sense would, given the mess that was left of it after bombardment and the use of demolition options that violated several clauses of the Ares Conventions - but everything that he’d heard about the organization made it clear that the Inner Sphere spent far more resources on information gathering and it paid off for them.

The Star Colonel sat down without waiting for an invitation. “Do you want the good news or the bad news?”

“Is this a joke where you tell me that the bad news is the absence of good news - or the reverse?”

“I am not so far gone as to make jokes like that,” the woman replied and then paused. “I will remember it for later, when I want someone to shoot me.”

“Would you like some coffee?”

“Aff. No sugar, no tea and make it strong,” she affirmed.

While Ace used the coffee machine hidden in a discreet cabinet of his office, he saw Abigail opening her attache case. “The good news is about your bondsman Michel.”

“He is not a bondsman any more,” Ace corrected.

“It keeps things straight in my head, he is not the only Michel whose file crossed my desk,” Abigail told him. “Anyway, he won the grand melee for his bloodname.”

“Excellent!” The former Steel Viper was back in the homeworlds to compete for a bloodname. Ace missed the other warrior, who had matured into a good officer. He had few enough friends and having one spend more than a year away had left a gap that he hadn’t expected.

Abigail eyed the mug he offered her. “What is this?”

“You asked for black coffee.”

She sniffed it and then took a gulp from the cup. “I asked you to make it stronger.”

“That’s as strong as the machine will make it.”

Abigail sighed. “Truly we are at the far edges of civilization. Your bondsman tried to talk the Steel Vipers into musketeer rules but they are not as gullible as the Burrocks you were dealing with then.”

Ace snorted. “I doubt the Steel Vipers are as angry at him as Felipe’s faction were with me.”

“He has not yet killed his house leader, so probably not.” She shook her head and gulped from the mug again. “So much for the good news.”

Going back behind his desk, Ace slumped into his seat. “That was quick.”

“There wasn’t very much,” Abigail told him. “Did you hear about the Zeerga disappearance?”

“Three galaxies of troops, eight warships and a huge supply train vanishing? Have they been found?” The entire matter seemed very far away but Ace did have occasional worries about what he might have to do if they turned up suddenly near New Samarkand.

Abigail shook her head. “Seven warships,” she corrected him. “The hulk of one of the cruisers was found one jump from Eden, apparently stripped for parts. It must have taken a while because the Snow Ravens are fuming that they could have caught the Zeerga there if they had scouted the system in time instead of rushing down the Exodus Road trying to catch up.”

Ace frowned. “One jump towards the Inner Sphere?”

“Spinward,” she told him. “Not that it means anything much, since they could have gone anywhere from there.”

“That is interesting but it is not the real bad news, quiaff?”

“Aff, the Zeerga are not the only disappearance.”

He closed his eyes for a moment. “Do I need to bribe you with stronger coffee to get the full story?”

“I was not planning on it,” the Star Colonel said with a certain manic edge to her voice, “but if you have been holding out on me then I will insist.”

“Not holding out, but I can be inventive.” Ace pushed his chair back and went back to the coffee machine, filling it past the top with ground coffee beans. “This will either give us a stronger coffee or wreck the machine,” he predicted.

“I am willing to take the risk,” Abigail told him and drained her mug. “In token of your good intentions,” she continued, “The khans of the Ice Hellions and the Hell’s Horses have not been seen in person for several weeks and their forces seem to be spread thinner than usual. Our estimates are that they may have pulled as many as three galaxies out of their normal deployments.”

“Three galaxies… in total?” he asked, giving the coffee machine the bare minimum of attention.

“Each,” Abigail corrected him tersely.

Ace whistled and then stepped back nervously as black liquid spat itself out of the coffee maker into the mug he’d put under it. “I get the impression this should be handled with tongs,” he muttered, eyeing it.

Clan Hell’s Horses had about nine galaxies as far as he recalled, but the Ice Hellions were one of the smallest Clans - three galaxies would be almost half their total strength. What could spur them to move such a force in secret?

Once Ace had cautiously retrieved the mug and handed it to Abigail she took a sip and grimaced.

“Too strong, quiaff?”

“Neg,” she assured him. “This is perfect.” She looked more alert, although Ace suspected he’d be doing her a favor if he ordered her to the medical center for a complete physical. Then again, they’d probably try to keep her from drinking more coffee and then he’d need to request new medics…

Ace settled back in his chair. “How long have the Hellions and Horses been on the move?”

“Long enough to have reached anywhere in the homeworlds,” Abigail told him. “Now, there are states out there between us and the homeworlds - more towards the Falcons, Vipers and Cats’s occupation zones but they exist. It is possible they are going to conquer one of those.”

“But it’s more likely they’re planning to come all the way to the Inner Sphere.”

She nodded. “Ulric Kerensky is moving reserves away from the Inner Sphere border. He has claimed to have no inside knowledge of the Zeerga, but if he expects them to attack the Wolves occupation zone that would make sense.”

Ace rested his elbows on the desk. “But we have the largest Occupation Zone and the coreward edge has garrisons that are barely enough to fight off pirates and pin down insurrections. We are just as likely to be the target, quiaff?”

“Aff. Khan Sennet is pulling the available Spina Galaxies off our supply lines to give us more of a reaction force.” Abigail shook her head. “It could be problematic if someone goes after our convoys, but…”

“They are sending too many forces for that to be the whole plan,” he agreed. “So late this year or perhaps early next year, we may have to defend our dominion from other Clans. I only hope that House Kurita and House Avellar lack the support from the other Great Houses to catch us from the other end.”

“Our best information suggests that their so-called Star League Council expects only to launch limited attacks,” the Watch officer told him.

“I suspect that any restraint will be short-lived if they find themselves with easy victories,” Ace pointed out. “We need to find ways to make sure that we look like too tough a nut to be cracked.”

Unity City, North America
Terra, Sol System
13 June 3057

The heads of the great houses were meeting in the same large hall that had been used before. Despite some improvements, it was still much less grandiose than the original Court of the Star League (which was now safe for guided tours, though not for long-term use). Wei could probably have come up with some symbolic explanation for the hall being lit only by aide’s noteputers, the central holo display and spotlights but the truth was that it was mostly because the room was bare of any decoration besides dimly illuminated banners above and behind each delegation.

Mitchell Avellar and Jeffrey Calderon had each updated their wardrobes slightly to reflect that they no longer represented their fathers. Thomas Calderon had abdicated earlier in the year - totally of his own volition and in no sense due to a number of intense conversations with representatives of the TDF and a dozen planetary governors. In contrast, Neil Avellar had barely waited for his son to return from the last meeting. The night after Mitchell returned to Alpheratz, the President of the Outworlds Alliance joined his wife on a shuttle to a hired jumpship, leaving a letter of resignation on his desk. No one had seen the jumpship since it left Alpheratz, which made the senior Avellar’s location a mystery that conspiracy writers were already speculating about.

“We appear to be missing someone,” Chancellor Liao observed once the formal pleasantries had been completed. “Is the Fox visiting a henhouse somewhere, Archon?”

Melissa Steiner-Davion smiled serenely. “With our Marshal of Armies here to oversee the coordination of operations against the Clans, Hanse is taking a closer hand in AFFC leadership. The advantage of our shared rule is that this frees me to focus on diplomacy. I have his authority to speak for the Federated Suns as well as my own realm. I trust that this is satisfactory?”

For all its power, the Federated Commonwealth remained an alliance at the moment. The legal union would take place when Victor Steiner-Davion inherited, and thus both House Steiner and House Davion currently claimed separate seats on the council. It didn’t matter too much while matters were being settled as a matter of consensus, but if anyone tried to push for a vote then it could be problematic.

The younger of the two Liao rulers smiled thinly. “If Prince Davion considers himself more of a military leader than an elder statesman than who am I to second-guess him?” he said with what appeared to be humility.

“The first point of our agenda is the status of this Council,” Wei declared, to cut short any further sniping.

Thomas Marik gave her a thoughtful look. “In what sense do you mean?”

She turned slightly to face the scarred Captain-General. “The assumption has grown since our previous meetings that this body is convening as a continuation of the previous Star League Council, that is as the supreme authority over the Star League.”

Minoru Kurita adjusted his spectacles. “I see no problem with that.”

“I see one,” Mitchell Avellar disagreed. “In that case, half of those present would have no right to a vote here. Three of our realms were conquests of the Star League, not voting members - and two of us represent states that did not even exist at the time.”

The Coordinator pursed his lips. “My apologies. That is a solid point, I can only excuse myself by saying that I had never considered that you would not have every reason to speak and vote as I do.”

The young president shook his head slightly. “No offense was taken, Coordinator. The fact that there has been no suggestion of asserting those precedents is one of the arguments that allows myself, the Protector and the Magistrix to participate without alienating our own people.”

“That is the first of two reasons,” Wei acknowledged. “The second is that the original Star League Council stood at the apex of a large and complex bureaucracy that was shattered by the Amaris Civil War and the Succession Wars. All of us have inherited parts of that organization, buts we could not quickly reassemble it even if the political will existed.”

“Which it does not,” Jeffrey said quietly. “I would return to Taurus to find my father reinstated if the Star League attempted to assert the control it once did over our worlds.”

“I don’t disagree,” the Marik observed, “but what do you suggest, Primus?”

“A formal statement of purpose to clarify the matter.” She touched a control, sending the document to each of them. “This is only a draft, of course.”

Wei watched as the document was read. It didn’t take long, since it was intentionally concise.

“I see,” Sun-Tzu Liao was the first to speak. “So we are forming a Star League, rather than reviving the Star League. A neat distinction.” He stroked his chin. “This may be invalidated since it is clear enough not to require a legal team to interpret it.”

“I assure you, lawyers will be tearing the phrasing apart no matter what we do,” Melissa commented before turning to Wei. “This places the former Star League formally in abeyance?”

“Saving for the adoption of the original’s heraldry, yes. ‘One Species, One Realm’ was a catchy phrase for Ian Cameron but it was written in blood,” she replied. “ComStar would not be willing to adopt a policy of universal conquest.” Not while she was in charge, anyway.

Candace Liao looked up. “A ‘voluntary alliance to provide for mutual defense and for the mediation of conflicting interests between members’,” she quoted. “What if a nation wishes to withdraw? Or another wishes to join?

“I would think that the right to withdraw should be automatic,” Calderon told her. “As for admission - a vote of the Council?” Secretaries around the room were making notes.

“Naturally, I do not expect anyone to sign this until it has been refined to everyone’s satisfaction,” Wei confirmed.

There was a laugh and eyes went to Emma Centrella, who was politely covering her mouth. “And such an elegant end to the Succession Wars.”

Eyebrows rose and then Melissa Steiner-Davion also laughed. “Yes, if the old Star League is placed in abeyance then everyone signing the treaty will be voiding their claims to be First Lord of it.”

Thomas Marik looked disgruntled at the prospect. The claim to be First Lord was part of the Captain-General’s primacy over the Free Worlds League. “There would be a benefit to there being a single voice to the… new Star League. There is a reason that all our realms have a single ruler, rather than leaving a council or assembly as the supreme authority.”

“I believe I made it clear that I would withdraw entirely from this if someone tried to claim the post of First Lord,” the Magestrix warned, voice flat as she looked over at her neighbor.

Jeffrey Calderon nodded firmly. “I would do the same, and I think even the Inner Sphere would look poorly on such a claim.”

The Captain-General shook his head. “I am not suggesting that one of us be elevated above the others in the same way as House Cameron. However, the new Star League would be more credible if it had a spokesperson. Someone to mediate our meetings and take the lead in announcing our decisions to the galaxy.”

“A Speaker, if you will,” suggested the Archon drily.

“It works for my Parliament and your Estates General,” Marik pointed out.

Sun-Tzu Liao glanced around the room, seeing mixed feelings. “A Council Chairman or Chairperson, perhaps,” he suggested. “We could elect one for two years, the same way we are choosing a Commanding General.”

“Visiting Terra on a regular basis is problematic for those of us whose homeworlds are further away,” Avellar observed quietly, giving Wei an apologetic look. “Despite ComStar’s hospitality, it is probable that if this council is an enduring one that some of us will attend remotely or that a vote may have to be carried out without direct meetings. Having a designated spokesman to coordinate such votes would have some value as long as it was understood they had none of the military authority of the First Lord, nor the ability to break ties.”

That got hesitant nods from around the room. “If we do not elect someone, that would largely leave such activities to Primus Rong,” Melissa pointed out, “Which would be clearly too much to ask of her. If everyone is amenable to the election of a Council Chair, then I nominate Emma Centrella.”

The Magestrix’s expression briefly betrayed complete stupefaction. “I am honored,” she began hesitantly.

“I second,” Avellar interrupted. “You are the best person here to set an example of restraint in the role.”

“Does anyone oppose?” asked Wei formally. She wasn’t going to vote against the motion, as long as she wasn’t the one being asked to do the work. A Council Chair without the options for abuse held by the First Lords was a promising step.

“All in favor?” asked Candace Liao, raising her hand.

Only Thomas Marik and Minoru Kurita hesitated, which yielded a solid majority but so far everything had been done by consensus. Minoru Kurita looked thoughtful for a moment and then shook his head. “It is a reasonable compromise.” He added his hand.

“Let the vote be recorded as unanimous,” Thomas Marik intoned solemnly. “In establishing a full charter for our Council, we will need to make a clear distinction between the issues that can be settled by majority and which require a consensus.”

“I will be happy to hand that matter over to our new Chair,” Wei agreed happily. “We will need to re-arrange the tables.” At last, she would be able to sit down during these meetings and have someone else behind the podium.”

“I’m sure that can be done over lunch,” Centrella observed drily. “In the meantime, what is the next subject for voting?”

“Nominations for a Commanding General to take over next summer,” she announced. “We do have almost a year, but given they will be taking over during the counter-offensives we don’t want to leave that decision to the last minute. They’ll need to take over smoothly, so whoever is chosen they’ll need to understudy the Precentor-Martial for at least a month in advance.”

“Nominations now and a vote no later than the end of the year,” Centrella suggested. “We are relatively thin on military experience within the Council, but I would prefer that we have a candidate lined up before the counteroffensive takes place…”

Camora, Twycross
Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
7 July 3057

Aidan had to fight to keep his temper from exploding as he followed Elias Crichell to the latter’s office. It wouldn’t help to sway the old Khan and doing so in public would be a loss of face.

Once the door closed behind them, the senior Khan of the Jade Falcons held up one hand to forestall any comments. He went to his desk and produced a small device that clicked and hissed as he waved it around apparently casually. After a moment, Crichell dropped it back on the desk. “According to Pershaw’s technicians, that would have detected any surveillance devices,” he explained, taking his seat.

“Where is mine?” Aidan inquired bluntly.

“On order. Ask Pershaw if you want a schedule, they are apparently not easily acquired. Also, the more people who have them, the greater chance that our enemies find out about them and work out a counter.” Crichell sat back in his chair. “That is not why you want to talk to me, quineg?”

“The Federated Commonwealth has broken the truce that they made after Coventry,” Aidan pointed out. “First on Incukalns and now on Arcturus.”

“True,” Crichell said crisply. “You propose that we resume our invasion, quiaff?”

“Neg.” Aidan took the seat facing the desk without asking for permission. “We are not ready and the Nova Cats, at least, seem willing to overlook the matter.”

That got an approving nod. “And while the Steel Vipers might be willing to act, they would not cooperate with us, most likely to hope to use our own actions as a diversion. We will remember this dishonor but our revenge will have to wait.”

“I disagree.”

“I believe you just conceded that a resumed offensive was unfeasible.”

Aidan gripped the arms of the chair. “That does not mean that we should let this challenge pass unchecked. Arcturus has not yet fallen. We have enough shipping to move the Gyrfalcon Galaxy to Arcturus by command circuit in three weeks. A sudden, decisive response will show them that we are not a soft target.”

Crichell inhaled slowly. “Poor strategy, Aidan. They are testing our strength, seeing how we have rebuilt from our losses. I have no doubt that you would be victorious, but it would show our hand - you play poker?”

Aidan shook his head. “Rarely.”

“Some other card game?”

“Not really.”

“Learn,” the aged Khan ordered flatly. “It is a useful skill. It is never wise to reveal one’s strength until one is ready to use it. They are testing our strength and we will test theirs. The winner will not be whoever holds Arcturus - though if we lose that world it should not fall easily. The winner will be the one who learns most about their enemy.”

Aidan frowned. “‘Conceal your dispositions, and your condition will remain secret, which leads to victory;  show your dispositions, and your condition will become patent, which leads to defeat’,” he quoted from a book Horse had found in a local library while he was convalescing.

Crichell paused and considered the words. “A quote from the Great Father?” he asked, “It does not sound like the Founder.”

“An older source, a previous military thinker I found reference to in the writings of the Great Father,” Aidan prevaricated.

“It is poorly phrased but it is accurate,” the older man concurred. “A full force counterattack as you describe would probably succeed but it would let them see how strong the Gyrfalcon Galaxy is compared to its state on Coventry. And while I think it is unlikely, they might even go as far to try to use their warships to isolate and destroy your force. It is better to keep our response proportionate.”

“And what do you suggest would be proportionate?” he asked.

Crichell smirked. “We will reinforce the garrison with detachments from other clusters, primarily made up of our less experienced warriors. Enough to keep the FedCom from winning or at least from winning quickly, while at the same time blooding them against the Inner Sphere. We have seen already that our warriors sometimes need time to adapt to such honorless opponents, this will give them the chance to experience it under relatively low stakes conditions.”

As much as Aidan didn’t want to admit it, the other Khan had a good point. “Then may I suggest starting with detachments from Gyrfalcon Galaxy’s clusters? We have not even faced raids recently.”

But Crichell shook his head. “It would not do for you to hog the glory. One detachment from Gyrfalcon but the other galaxies must have the chance, quiaff?”

“Aff,” Aidan conceded. “Very well, but I will go there to oversee them and see who is learning the most. We need officers as well as warriors.”

“Neg,” the Khan told him. “Your place is here at our command center, overseeing the big picture.”

“Our command center is nine jumps from the frontlines,” he challenged, pushing himself out of his chair. “Keeping a frontline galaxy here is already a waste and now you are keeping me from providing any leadership to the Clan. What is so important about this world? There are any number of better choices!”

There was a long moment as the two glared at each other. Surprisingly, it was Crichell that looked away first. “The answer to that is known to very few and your presence here is insurance against it becoming better known.”

Aidan’s mind raced as he tried to work out what it was. “If I am being held here to guard your secret then I need to know what it is, Elias.” And if it is something dishonorable, I will need even more to know the truth.”

“What is the one thing that we cannot replace here in the Inner Sphere?” the bearded khan asked rhetorically. “Factories are already being retooled to reduce our dependence on shipping, here and on other worlds. Simple materials are in abundance. Even warriors can be found here - freeborn for now, but in time we will have iron wombs and sibkos… some of the other Clans have already begun such work.”

Aidan thought about it. “You said simple materials, so… those that are not simple.”

“Correct,” Crichell smacked the desk with the flat of his hand. “One in particular, vital for constructing and repairing our Elemental’s armor.”

“Harjel.” The material was found only on one world of the Clan Homeworlds, a world that Clan Diamond Shark defended with ferocity. Other Clans had to trade or challenge for possessions for shipments of harjel - and they did, because the alternative would leave their Elemental infantry at a severe disadvantage.

Crichell gave Aidan a grim but triumphant smile. “Our scientists have discovered a source of harjel, or something as near to it as makes no difference on one of the moons of this star system. Work to harvest and process it is already underway. You can imagine the benefits to our Clan, but Twycross is in easy striking range of the Wolves and the Nova Cats. Other Clans would have to try harder, but with the threat of breaking their monopoly, I am sure the Diamond Sharks will make the attempt sooner or later.”

Aidan folded his arms and then sat back down. “Harjel,” he said again. “And factories to use it - aff, I see your logic. But keeping so many of our forces here will make it obvious.”

Crichell shrugged. “Since we are making our capital here, our military headquarters also needs to be here - at least for now. If we resume the invasion or if the Inner Sphere begins to launch more serious counter-attacks then obviously you will need to take command of dealing with that, but for now you and the Gyrfalcon Galaxy are our key reserve against an attack here.”

“Fine.” The junior Khan pushed himself to his feet again. He didn’t believe that it was the full story but Crichell was so used to lying that he probably lied even to himself. At least part of this was a desire to keep Aidan under tight control. “But as we are giving untested warriors the chance to see action, we must also offer opportunities for those who have proven themselves.”

Crichell nodded. “What do you suggest?”

“Trials of Bloodright have been stalled as we waited for enough warriors and equipment to arrive that we would not be crippling ourselves by holding them. Let every bloodhouse with vacant bloodrights hold a trial here on Twycross, under my supervision. If this is to be our new capital, we should show it off.”

“And it gives your… progeny another chance at a bloodname,” the old khan said cagily. He waved his hand. “Very well, you are right that we have delayed as long as we can on the trials of bloodright. Perhaps too long. Make the arrangements, both for this and to reinforce Arcturus.”

And for trials of position for warriors who have not seen action in the last year, Aidan thought. Like you, my khan.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #748 on: 18 April 2024, 03:44:11 »
At least Ace sees the other shoe dropping... ;)

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #749 on: 18 April 2024, 10:45:34 »
It's more like a centipede is dropping all its other shoes all over the known space.

Register