Author Topic: "Illegal" quirk  (Read 1653 times)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
"Illegal" quirk
« on: 30 January 2014, 21:22:44 »
Would a hovercraft that fails to allocate ten percent of its weight to its engine be considered a valid use of the quirk? For example, a 50-ton hovercraft moving 6/9, that's only paying the regular listed weight for it's engine, instead of rounding up to the required weight.  If so, what kind of negative effects might you add on?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: "Illegal" quirk
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2014, 21:27:57 »
I'd tend to put it in the same category as minus-weight items (a very old HMP exploit, long since fixed) - illegally illegal ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2014, 21:55:25 »
That's why I'm thinking it would have to go along with the Nonfunctional Item (Engine) quirk.  Just trying to add some character to a design, give it a good fluff reason for not seeing deployment.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2014, 07:40:40 »
Would a hovercraft that fails to allocate ten percent of its weight to its engine be considered a valid use of the quirk? For example, a 50-ton hovercraft moving 6/9, that's only paying the regular listed weight for it's engine, instead of rounding up to the required weight.  If so, what kind of negative effects might you add on?

I think the negative effects of the quirk are plenty all by itself.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.