Author Topic: Plasma Rifle and Plasma Cannons  (Read 1757 times)

bblaney

• Lieutenant
Plasma Rifle and Plasma Cannons
« on: 04 March 2020, 10:15:38 »
How effective are they in aerospace combat?

I am working on a project and wondering if they'd be as nasty as I think they should be.
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Plasma Rifle and Plasma Cannons
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2020, 19:46:50 »
Heat can do some nasty things to an Aerospace fighter but I don't see them as any more or less effective than any other weapon besides the helpful overheat control roll which wouldn't matter in space combat but might in atmosphere

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2020, 08:49:03 »
Heat can do some nasty things to an Aerospace fighter but I don't see them as any more or less effective than any other weapon besides the helpful overheat control roll which wouldn't matter in space combat but might in atmosphere
I really need to sit down with TW and get at least passingly familiar with Aerospace rules...  But I thought control rolls were still a thing in space.  Failing the roll means you end up on with some random facing, possibly taking SI damage for spinning too hard.

IN atmo, I know you take a control roll for receiving at least 1 point of damage. Or is taking at least 1 hit...  Another control roll if the damage exceeds a threshold, and now potentially a heat induced roll.  Not a good day to be a rocket jockey. :'(
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2020, 18:55:03 »
Random movement in space isn't great, but it's nothing compared to instant death when you're too close to the ground...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2020, 00:01:51 »
just be wary of fighters like the SL-17R Shilone. while absurdly oversinked and largely a waste of DHS when it came out in the 3050's, it can basically laugh at even massed plasma weapons as a result.